Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Your Personal Philosophy      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 justwant2no
Msg: 26
Your Personal PhilosophyPage 2 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
I've had this saying over my monitor for years: 'I shall pass this way but once, therefore any good that I can do, or any kindness that I can show, let me do it now, for I shall not pass this way again.' - unkonwn
 zipdy
Msg: 27
Your Personal Philosophy
Posted: 3/11/2010 8:33:10 PM
i always follow this idiom:

I DON'T CARE IF I DO DIE

JUST SO I MAKE THE JUICE FLY

(don't hate me)
 Misteique
Msg: 28
Your Personal Philosophy
Posted: 3/11/2010 8:43:58 PM
I think there are many philosophies I try to live by, but the one I feel is THE most important is "Always treat others, as you yourself, would like to be treated" and yes that does include telling me, *Yes your behind does look fat in those jeans.....
Honesty and respect should compliment each other.
 LeCutter
Msg: 29
Your Personal Philosophy
Posted: 3/12/2010 5:25:12 PM
Like the song, my philosophy is..."Don't forget the suncreen"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwVVpwBKUp0

"Don't worry about the future, or worry, but know that worrying is as effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubblegum. The real troubles in your life are apt to be things that never crossed your worried mind: the kind that blindsides
you at 4pm on some idle Tuesday."
 Page 2u
Msg: 30
Your Personal Philosophy
Posted: 3/12/2010 5:57:37 PM
Do as thy will but harm nothing
 RD Mo
Msg: 31
Your Personal Philosophy
Posted: 3/13/2010 6:12:53 AM
Simply put in this Round.

Row row row your boat
Gently down the stream
Merrily merrily merrily merrily
LIFE IS BUT A DREAM.
 *mandrake*
Msg: 32
Your Personal Philosophy
Posted: 3/13/2010 7:03:38 AM
The three Monkeys! Nuff said!
 Cheri H
Msg: 33
Your Personal Philosophy
Posted: 3/13/2010 6:29:38 PM
My personal philosophy is simple, but complex at the same time. Basically, I do not agree with those who say that religion is - how have some people put it?... some kind of a control mechanism or some such... I never understood what people have against religion. Religion is simply an adherence to a belief, upheld with zeal or devotion. Why is it wrong to believe in something, and when you do, to be devoted to your belief? Isn't that the same thing as being "committed," "loyal," "sticking to your guns," being true to yourself and that which you hold to be true, etc. - all of which are looked upon as "good"? So will someone please explain to me why the word "religion" is looked upon with such animosity and disdain nowadays? Personally, I think this disdain for all things religious is just some kind of a stupid fad. Some day it will pass, and people will once again realize that life is Sacred - and not just about "fun" (don't get me wrong... fun is fine, within reason. But like anything else that is taken in large doses, it can become addictive and therefore, abused).

Anyway, my philosophy is simply that one should be true to oneself and to one's beliefs. And, that there is only really one Answer to all of life's questions, and the Answer is not found in logic or science or in any book (though these things can surely aid in the search), but rather, the answer is found in the Heart. And that Answer is the One who describes Himself as "I Am Who Am." Nothing else matters, for He encompasses all, and He is the Author of Life. We are His, He loves us, and what it boils down to is that we have a choice: to accept or reject that Love. Where we end up for eternity is based upon that choice. That's pretty much it in a nutshell.
 maximusminimus
Msg: 34
Your Personal Philosophy
Posted: 3/13/2010 7:20:24 PM
Since you asked, what some people have against religion is that it amounts to favoring delusion over reason. When you use religion, you memorize and recite a collection of impersonal, contradictory, trite and impractical platitudes. Reason is when you have to actually make sense of things in a way that corresponds with reality. It's nobody's business what how anyone else thinks, except as far as that way of thinking produces actions which prevail against the common welfare, and other individuals. If the idea is to have free people living together peacefully, and justly, then religion gets in the way because it promotes bigotry, ignorance, intolerance and a standing animosity toward reasonableness.
 Twister239
Msg: 35
Your Personal Philosophy
Posted: 3/13/2010 8:46:01 PM
One of my favs since a teen ,was by TFR in one of his speeches of yesteryear
I don't remember it all but gist was..

Tiss far better to dare might things
to win glorious triumphs
even tho checkered with failure
then to fall rank with those poor spirits
that live in a gray twilight
who know not the taste of victory
nor defeat.

"I am free, no matter what rules surround me
If I find them tolerable , I tolerate them
If I find them too obnoxious , I break them.
I am free because I know, that I alone
am morally responsible for everything I do."

Yes I can-nabis dammit !!!
 Cheri H
Msg: 36
Your Personal Philosophy
Posted: 3/14/2010 7:33:20 PM

When you use religion, you memorize and recite a collection of impersonal, contradictory, trite and impractical platitudes.

Wrong. You've got it all wrong. Religion is anything but a "collection of 'impersonal,' 'contradictory,' 'trite,' and 'impractical' platitudes." I don't know what kind of religion(s) you've studied (or not), but these words do not describe the beliefs I subscribe to. My "religion" is very personal. Contradictory? Not sure what religion you're talking about (but I'm guessing you're referring to Christianity and its bible only because most anti-Christians use that particular verbiage), but it's only contradictory to those who don't understand the context and who don't see the whole picture. "Trite?" In what way? "Impractical?" By whose standards?

Reason is when you have to actually make sense of things in a way that corresponds with reality.

Do tell... and just who is the Author of "reality"? And "reason," for that matter? Whose idea of reason and reality are you talking about? Yours? How do you rate? I'm not picking on you per se... that's meant as a hypothetical and general question to all who have this particular way of thinking. I am simply asking for an answer. What I mean is... what criteria makes one person's understanding of reality or reason better or more acceptable than someone else's? By whose standards do you judge these things? And in fact, the very idea that there must be a "standard" by which to judge should tell you something.

It's nobody's business what how anyone else thinks, except as far as that way of thinking produces actions which prevail against the common welfare, and other individuals. If the idea is to have free people living together peacefully, and justly, then religion gets in the way because it promotes bigotry, ignorance, intolerance and a standing animosity toward reasonableness.

Again, by what standard do you judge what is "common welfare", or "peace" or "justice"? "Religion promotes bigotry, etc..."?? Are you kidding me? The teachings of most religions, actually, teach exactly the opposite of these things that you suggest that religion promotes. If there are those who act with bigotry, intolerance, and animosity, it is not the "religion" itself that "promotes" that kind of behavior, but rather, it is simply human nature. And faulty human nature, as acted out in just those things you mentioned, is just what most religions try to teach us to overcome.
So please don't blame human flaws on religion. Yes, many wars have been fought in the name of "religion." Many atrocities have happened in the name of "religion." A lot of bad things have happened in the name of "religion." But religion, in and of itself, is not the problem. People's attitudes are the problem. And sorry, but all people are imperfect. It's human nature. And it's why we NEED religion. We need something to believe in, to affirm us, to call us on to greatness, to guide us and keep us in line; we need something - or Someone - to hold us accountable. Religion, you see, is not a bad thing. It's how it's used and/or abused that makes it good or bad.
I'm just really sick and tired of people talking about religion as if they think they're somehow above it - or above God. None of us are our own. We all belong to our Creator. Some may not like it, but none would be here without Him.
 Super_Eve
Msg: 37
No religious wars, here. I can't print anymore t-shirts.
Posted: 3/14/2010 8:58:09 PM
I think that the Op, was very savvy with her wording, in the original post...

I have been thinking about this topic, ever since it was first presented.

There is a lot to be said, for evolving philosophies...so why get attached to one, since I certainly don't want to fall into dogmatism?

But I do have some core values...

Unconditional positive regard, for one. It takes an awful lot of work on my part. Sometimes, people just tick me off. Rather than collect evidence in order to maintain my negative perception of them, I spend an inordinate amount of time, looking for the proverbial "good" in people. The good news is, in the vast majority of cases, I actually find it.

Disclaimer: There are some truly bad apples out there. I believe in applesauce.

Some other personal philosophies include, many hands make lighter work. This has helped me to get my children, to participate in housework. They follow the example.

I guess if I had to narrow it down, to the truest personal philosophy that I have so far, and been able to maintain, is that while I am on this planet of dirt, I will endeavor to act as if the ultimate good in people, is possible.

Which makes me a bit of a hypocrite, since I don't believe that ultimate good, can ever be achieved.

Having said that, I have felt many "ultimate good" moments...that opening between, the connection with people. (Ha ha, sometimes, spankings have been a part of it!).

It gives me something, resembling hope. It makes me want to work for, the planet that I live on, worthy of my children's loan...
 CallmeKen
Msg: 38
Your Personal Philosophy
Posted: 3/15/2010 7:02:05 AM
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

If your group is in a cabin, and several teenagers in your group disappear, do not have sex. Do not take a shower. Do not take your shirt off for any reason. Do not separate. That noise you hear? It is not the cat.

Edit. Always edit.

Dating a vampire is never a good idea. It just isn't. It's like you dating a chicken - sooner or later, you're going to kill it and eat it.

Arguing on the Internet is like masturbating with a cheese grater. Sure, it may feel good at the time, but really, there are better things to do, and better ways to do it.

Before you insult anyone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you do it, you're a mile away, and you have their shoes.

You can cry, "Please don't leave me!" all you like, but the tide is still going to go out.

Always know where your towel is.
 Necro Vine
Msg: 39
Your Personal Philosophy
Posted: 3/15/2010 8:43:18 AM
Expropriation.
 xlr8ingmargo
Msg: 40
Your Personal Philosophy
Posted: 3/15/2010 1:29:17 PM
I would just like to thank everyone that posted. Many of the responses were brilliant.
It's been great fun for me to read them all.
 late™
Msg: 41
Your Personal Philosophy
Posted: 3/15/2010 6:49:13 PM
I have a few ideas that I live by that could be summed up somewhat concisely as:

"I don't do anger".
 Juste moi Danielle
Msg: 42
Your Personal Philosophy
Posted: 3/16/2010 12:47:04 PM
^ Thank you for that. I remember reading that piece a long time ago it seems...it's exactly what I needed to read again at this exact moment in time...:)
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Your Personal Philosophy
Posted: 3/17/2010 6:29:29 PM
I would LOVE to put my personal philosophy in here. It would be the size of an unabridged dictionary before i got it all down, so I wont, though I like discussing such things.
 mickeymowss
Msg: 44
Your Personal Philosophy
Posted: 3/20/2010 12:30:52 PM
HOPE IS NOT A STRATEGY

I hate "reality" types

If you wanna do something GO DO IT, you got legs? you got feet? you got eyes and ears?

Well who the hell is stopping you?

Laugh on the way there, dance on the way there, YELLL to the top of your lungs on the way there...
where? Mcdonald's, the movies, work, the club, to bed!

Are you getting anywhere by moaning and complaining about who did what?? WEll you know what?

There will be times when you fail, and you might fail miserably. Instead of wheeping and crying about how you failed, learn from that failure, move on with your life, and never disregard or forget what you have learned. Remember that things could have been much worse whenever you face failure. Remember that others have failed, but remember that you tried your best and that you put your best foot forth. And when you make mistakes, remember that “an error does not become a mistake until you refuse to correct it” (JFK).

There will be times when others fail you. Forgive them, and better yet, seek to help them in their distress because often times they fail you because they are going through something too. Let them know you forgive them, do not keep quiet, do not be an enabler; do not enable them or empower them to keep failing. Guide them, tell them with ease and comfort how you feel. Never presume things about others before you get the facts straight. Forgive them and never abandon them because people are generally good hearted, people are generally human, just like you are. You see chuck there are 3 kinds of people, Dix pussssies, and as-holes.......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aYtHDlAkN0

Oh yeah, and when you feel like you're cornered to the wall by all the bull$hit, get your knife, say a prayer, and swing your way through...

apurfectmeow
Msg: 45
Your Personal Philosophy
Posted: 2/10/2012 9:59:00 AM
I think our personal phlosophies change over tiime, too.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Your Personal Philosophy
Posted: 2/10/2012 10:37:38 AM
A very shortened version of mine:

"Try everything you can think of. If that doesn't work, think some more."

Also: "First, check the Stupid list (is it plugged in?). Then the logical list. If that doesn't work, try insanity. Why not?"

Amazingly enough, I'm not kidding.
 cbbull21
Msg: 47
Your Personal Philosophy
Posted: 2/10/2012 3:09:15 PM
I take responsibility for my own actions.
I try to make someone else's day/life better/easier.
 Hawaiianluau
Msg: 48
Your Personal Philosophy
Posted: 2/10/2012 3:47:03 PM
I got this silly thing that I like to do since I was 15 which is going to work and making enough money to buy food clothing and shelter.
 veevee
Msg: 49
Your Personal Philosophy
Posted: 2/10/2012 8:38:12 PM
If you want monsters to leave you alone, don't look under the bed and don't let your feet outside of the covers, there has been a contract with the monster's union for many years.
Wipe until the toilet paper is spotless.
Never drink the last sip of anything, it's backwash.

Maybe I'll be serious another time - right now my mood is too good to not have on my clown shoes.
 aremeself
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Your Personal Philosophy
Posted: 2/11/2012 11:24:32 PM
question everything.

then question the answer.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Your Personal Philosophy