Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > just told the girlfriend i won't stay if she smokes pot      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Out_of_the_Ash
Msg: 72
view profile
History
just told the girlfriend i won't stay if she smokes potPage 6 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
Trying to get your significant other to quit something like smoking pot or drinking is never going to go down well. Maybe at first, but over time they might resent you for it. If you are interested in somebody who has a vice you don't agree with, it's best to leave them alone. Don't get involved with someone who you will only annoy in the long run with your demands.

Their body, their temple, their right to do whatever they want to it, provided it doesn't harm anyone outside. If her kids are well taken care of, who cares if she smokes in her free time.

You can either accept that she does this and let it be, or you can place these restrictions only for her to sneak it behind your back.

Someone will only change if THEY want to, for THEMSELVES. Not for some teetotaler-control-freak boyfriend/girlfriend, and certainly not while using the trite "if you love me you will..."

Don't be a passive-aggressive douchebag. Do some research and stop listening to the propaganda.
 Artof_life
Msg: 73
just told the girlfriend i won't stay if she smokes pot
Posted: 6/14/2011 1:21:10 PM
Been through it also, wound up ending it! No room for B/S
 SuitedGentleman
Msg: 74
Posted: 6/14/2011 11:51:26 PM

Don't be a passive-aggressive douchebag. Do some research and stop listening to the propaganda.

Smoking weed is NOT healthy. Just like cigarettes it fills your lungs with tar. I've seen how weed affects people mentally and I don't like it. I don't like being around people when they are high. If I was going to have something serious with someone, I would not want them coming home high. Smoking weed is also just nasty. When my friends come inside from smoking weed they smell just as bad as cigarette smokers. It's true that it's safer than alcohol and cigarettes in many ways. But that doesn't make it good. There are plenty of reasons to dislike weed other than health.
 Walts
Msg: 75
Posted: 6/15/2011 4:46:43 AM

she got upset and thought i called her a loser which i didn't, and told her that if she loved me it souldn't be that hard to quit for me.

I doubt very much if the OP actually "loved" this young lady. I know part of my "love" is the acceptance of the person I have fallen for,good,bad and indifferent. I also don't tell people to "change" just because of "me" or their feelings for "me". I may suggest a change, but using the reasoning that its "about me" is silly, which is an ultimatum. I don't enjoy people that try to give em to me, so I tend not to give em myself.

If a person was doing something sooooooooo bad that I don't like it, I usually just walk away WITHOUT chickenshiat "threats".
 Out_of_the_Ash
Msg: 76
view profile
History
Posted: 6/15/2011 3:51:53 PM
Smoking weed is NOT healthy. Just like cigarettes it fills your lungs with tar. I've seen how weed affects people mentally and I don't like it. I don't like being around people when they are high. If I was going to have something serious with someone, I would not want them coming home high. Smoking weed is also just nasty. When my friends come inside from smoking weed they smell just as bad as cigarette smokers.

Heh. You live in the states where they're super strict about it to the point of insanity. Yes, pot is dangerous- a danger to the oil companies, alcohol, tobacco industries and a large number of chemical corporations.

It's only illegal to keep fat cat billionaire moguls RICH.

I live in the Weed capital of North America. If you don't smoke dope here, you're not a true Vancouverite. :p

I won't date someone who isn't 420 friendly. There are a ton of people who benefit from it's use. You don't have to smoke it, you can eat it or make a tea. DING! No tar in your lungs!

I certainly don't expect you to change your opinion at all.
 shmodzilla
Msg: 77
Posted: 6/16/2011 6:14:44 AM
I could care less if others smoke pot but what i love the most is how they REALLY believe nobody else knows.
 SuitedGentleman
Msg: 78
Posted: 6/16/2011 2:39:11 PM
Out_of_the_Ash, I used to not think it was so bad, until more and more people around me started using it. I'm around it all the time and I've seen the harm it does. No offense, but maybe marijuana has blocked your mind from seeing what it actually does to people. Yes, the reason why it's illegal is due to who loses money from it. Money is the reason why cigarettes and alcohol are legal. The government doesn't care about our well being. But with all my close friends who smoke weed, not one has benefited from it. I know two people who are addicted to it. According to them, they need it and admit their addiction. One is now clean after going to rehab because he could not live his life with marijuana. Marijuana changes people. I've noticed changes in my friends when they started smoking weed. Some of them have since stopped smoking weed, and their old self is back. It probably wouldn't be illegal if so many people didn't abuse it and only used it for medicinal purposes.
 bullielover62
Msg: 79
Posted: 6/16/2011 3:01:54 PM
I wish PoF would delete Posts when the OP has deactivated their profile.......... Why bother......

Why? 'cause I'm bored. lol

She smoked before they got together and he was obviously aware of this.......... He changed the rules and expects her to acquiesce. Control issues, much?

OK, I'm bored again. Ta!

bullie~
 Out_of_the_Ash
Msg: 80
view profile
History
Posted: 6/17/2011 6:56:49 PM
Out_of_the_Ash, I used to not think it was so bad, until more and more people around me started using it. I'm around it all the time and I've seen the harm it does. No offense, but maybe marijuana has blocked your mind from seeing what it actually does to people. Yes, the reason why it's illegal is due to who loses money from it. Money is the reason why cigarettes and alcohol are legal. The government doesn't care about our well being. But with all my close friends who smoke weed, not one has benefited from it. I know two people who are addicted to it. According to them, they need it and admit their addiction. One is now clean after going to rehab because he could not live his life with marijuana. Marijuana changes people. I've noticed changes in my friends when they started smoking weed. Some of them have since stopped smoking weed, and their old self is back. It probably wouldn't be illegal if so many people didn't abuse it and only used it for medicinal purposes.

Well, perhaps your friends can't handle it. It's not for everyone, and if they have addictive personalities, well that's their own problem.

Pot is not physically addictive. It's only somewhat psychologically so, and for people who are weak in the first place. Of course it is mostly used recreationally. I have not seen many changes in anyone close to me who has started it and it doesn't keep them from leading productive lives. I have heard of friends whose family members quit it cuz it ruined their family life, etc. So it's not like I am not aware it can happen. I am aware it is a depressant of sorts as well. Can make people unmotivated, etc. Well sure hope they're not using it before or during work, like some people I know, and those people also do other things that make their lives destructive.

Perhaps they haven't considered other factors that could be contributing to their problems? I don't know your peeps.

I find it funny and strange how someone had to go through rehab for it. You sure it wasn't for anything else on top of that?

And yes it was somewhat offensive to say that maybe it blocked my mind from seeing what it does to people. I am very perceptive and while I know it can have some drawbacks and that not everyone can handle it, just like with anything else, if you abuse it, well you're doing it wrong.

Just like with alcohol. The type of people who drink "too much" usually do it to forget. I do it for funzies.

Anyways this wasn't intended as an argument or debate. I don't like people who set ultimatums, especially if they were aware of the person they are involved with's habits before they started to date or at least in the beginning. Anyone who would give me an ultimatum would just be sending off red flags for future control issues and I don't want any part of that. Take me as I am or walk. It's that simple.

ferruginous: Nnn'kay, chief.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > just told the girlfriend i won't stay if she smokes pot