Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > Should Women Play In The PGA?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Amber_Rose
Msg: 26
Should Women Play In The PGA?Page 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
I think that they each have their own strengths and weaknesses. Though Wie is the exception, clearly, most women cannot drive balls that far (no joke intended). However, what women lack in distance they make up with incredible accuracy. They have the better short game when comparing the two sexes. But I think that there is the LPGA for a reason. Just like there is a Senior PGA. If they come up with a tournament that is competitive between them all, then fine, but they shouldn't get special treatment just because they are penis challenged.
 ItsMeDoggie
Msg: 27
Should Women Play In The PGA?
Posted: 1/17/2006 2:14:40 PM
just because wie missed the cut means nothing,so did several men.besides she is playing against men thata are aveage twice her age and experince.........
 Amber_Rose
Msg: 28
Posted: 1/18/2006 8:32:32 AM
Great point dogshow50, BUT like I said, there is an LPGA for a reason. Kinda like there is a women's football league. If they wanted everything to be together, they would have made it that way. It's fair to say that men have a stronger game when it comes to golf, but they lack in accuracy. I don't think it's fair that because they are women that they should be allowed in the PGA. Tiger, Couples, Daily, etc. can't go play with the women. So unless they make it open, which means they should just combine the two and get it over with, then they shouldn't be allowed to play.
 ItsMeDoggie
Msg: 29
Posted: 1/18/2006 12:41:46 PM
a woman playing in the pga really is nothing but a side show,something to boost ratings and interest.i think the women that play must have some idea that their chances of winning are very slim at best.dont forget 2 years ago when all three tours played in a tournament ,the ladies won.
 ItsMeDoggie
Msg: 30
Posted: 1/22/2006 4:45:50 PM
you know as soon as someone makes the comment that a woman will never win a pga event, here come some unknown that will do the trick. never say never............
 eman07
Msg: 31
Posted: 9/11/2006 10:08:58 PM
Im not sexist, nor do i even care if women compete with the men.......so be it...im not afriad of getting beat by a girl, im pretty sure wie can kick my ass and i play golf about 3 days a week, could care less.

Now with that said, no women, and let me repeat that, NO WOMEN will EVER win a pga even, wont happen. If they want to compete and finish 75th in a field of 100 then go for it.

Just to let you know, michelle wie has NEVER competed in a tour that had the big guns, (els, woods, goosen, mickelson)..and still she finished in the middle of the pack....

Lets not forget, befroe we annoint wie beating men, how about she win a womens tourney?....last i checked she cant even beat the women, and you think she will beat the men?
 pharoah75
Msg: 32
Posted: 9/11/2006 10:18:27 PM

I have no problem with women playing in the PGA. This is for the best golfers in the world, what I have a problem with is letting them play through exemptions. Let them go through the Q school the way everyone else does and earn their PGA card. If they can do this then nothing should be said about them not making the cut. Heck even some of the best golfers miss the cut every now and then.

I 100% agree and that goes for Annika as well. If they go through Qschool or individual tourney qualifiers then let them play. But don't give special exemptions to them and turn it into a publicity stunt. I think that even though Annika is professional golfer...if she wants to play on the PGA she should have to qualify. They shouldn't be able to pick and choose which tour to play on from week to week....UNLESS they have qualified for both tours.

If they earn it...they deserve the respect that comes with it.
 eman07
Msg: 33
Posted: 9/15/2006 7:54:20 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/news?slug=ap-84lumber&prov=ap&type=lgns

This is why Wie should stick to the womens tour......and why women will NEVER win a mens PGA event.....
 kingbreeze
Msg: 34
Posted: 9/15/2006 8:05:22 AM
woman are allowed to play PGA because golf is not a physical sport and it is harder for women to play in a mens league so if a woman has the skill to make the cut i don't see anything wrong with letting them play. no man would ever play in a LPGA tour because it would become a joke. i'm not putting women down because there are women that have a putting game to make it interesting but a man would tear up an LPGA course what with the shorter fairways and all. women entering a PGA tournament is seen as trying to raise her game to another level and if they can compete, i don't think they should be turned away.
 kingbreeze
Msg: 35
Posted: 9/15/2006 8:11:23 AM
michelle wie is gonna be a good golfer, you have to remember that she is still a teenager and although she is not doing well right now, she is still there. if given the time to develop i think that she will be a good pro. good enough to win on the mens tour, probably not but the LPGA will be glad to have her. there are alot of mens amateur tournaments that don't have the talent and skill that she has.
 eman07
Msg: 36
Posted: 9/15/2006 8:22:14 AM
again i will say...NO WOMEN WILL EVER WIN A MENS PGA EVENT......Wie, or any other female golfer for that matter.......sorenston is the best women golfer on the planet, and she finished in the middle of the pack when she tried......

just remember, ever tourney that wie enters has none of the big guns, woods, els, goosen, etc etc, and she STILL cant make the cut without those golfers there....

I dont care that she goes in there and tries to compete, doesnt matter to me, all im saying is, if she wants to enter mens tourney and never make the cut like she has been doing, then go for it, i just think she should wins some womens tourney before she enters any mens tourney, and she has NEVER won a womens tourney yet.

Willshe win a womens tourney?.....i would bet money on it, but entering mens tourneys is really nothing more than a media frenzy that everybody gets all caught up in.....

let me add.....wie gets all the media hype from espn whenever she does anything good, then when she does bad all i hear is "well, she is just a teenager".......which one is it?.......is she good?....or is she just a teenager?....everyone makes excuses for her when she does bad, but when she does good, everyone hypes her up to be the next female jordon of golf....
 Cavalier1968
Msg: 37
Posted: 9/15/2006 8:50:36 AM
Can't really blame Wie for playing in the men's events when the sponsers offer her an exemption to play and a fat appearence fee. She still hasn't made a cut. She probably will in the next few years. Winning is out of the question........if you think she can you know NOTHING about golf. That said.........if she wants to go to Q-school and try for the PGA....more power to her.

I have concerns for her mental well-being. How long does she go on being this travelling freak show. She can't win....so all these PGA appearences have this carny side-show feel........COME SEE THE AMAZING GOLF PLAYING FREAK GIRL!...........She's just 16 and all thi seems a bit exploitative to me on the part of her parents and handlers. She needs to concentrate on the LPGA. She's not even close to being the best player there. When she wins a few times there people might be more interested when she plays a PGA event again. Now when she does it.........
 Cavalier1968
Msg: 38
Posted: 9/15/2006 8:54:14 AM
Update:
As of 12:00 pm eastern Wie is 20 shots off the lead at the PGA's 84 Lumber open and 11 shots below the cut line. She's not getting any closer to making a cut.
 techguy
Msg: 39
Posted: 9/15/2006 9:27:45 AM
Women have the LPGA. They should stick with it. I'm tired of this ongoing battle for league's to allow women when they have their own leagues.

(In cases where they don't have their own league such as racing, then it's a different story.)

Even then you can make the argument that women shouldn't be allowed in because they have an unfair advantage: They're smaller than men. Driving with 50-100lbs less weight in the car makes it go faster. That's like the difference between a full tank of gas and an empty tank.

On an unrelated note, women often get allowed into the men's league because of their looks. They become a sideshow/distraction from the main event. Would anyone be talking about Michelle Wie or Danica Patrick if they weren't gorgeous looking? Probably not.

Cavalier1968
Msg: 40
Posted: 9/15/2006 10:10:50 AM
"Would anyone be talking about Michelle Wie or Danica Patrick if they weren't gorgeous looking? Probably not"

Good point. I would suggest though that the LPGA has been trying to change it's image from a tour of big, butchy, lady gym teacher players to that of a more stylish sexy image in an attempt to attract male viewers. Sexist?........I suppose...but how many women have you met who like to watch football b/c of how the guys butts look in football pants? Hard to blame the LPGA....as has been said....sports is a business. Wie's age makes me a little uncomfortable in that regard. Seems exploitative to market a 16yr old that way. But if grown women are OK w/ being marketed as sex symbols......who are we to judge them?
 Sactowndude
Msg: 41
Posted: 9/15/2006 6:05:15 PM
I started this thread over a year ago and Michelle still hasn't won a PGA tourny..let alone finish one.As for car racing I would love to see more women drivers but I dislike how Danica gets the spotlight even if she finishes fifth.
I have to agree that the organizers do this(sideshow freak) to get more viewers and sponsers.
 boxman
Msg: 42
Posted: 9/16/2006 3:00:03 PM
Heck, since this thread started, has she even won a women's tournament? I'd much rather see Annika give it a shot, because she has way more than proven herself to dominate the LPGA
 lakelandsm
Msg: 43
Posted: 9/16/2006 3:32:47 PM
I havent read this whole thread but my take is simple. Sure women should play the PGA as long as men can play in the LPGA
 pharoah75
Msg: 44
Posted: 9/16/2006 4:02:06 PM

Heck, since this thread started, has she even won a women's tournament? I'd much rather see Annika give it a shot, because she has way more than proven herself to dominate the LPGA

I think you hit the nail on the head right there. She should show some level of dominance on the LPGA before trying to tackle the PGA. Annika is a much better all around player and she doesn't try to tee it up with the men all the time.

I still have no problem women trying to make it on the PGA if they think they have the game....but they should have to QUALIFY just like everybody else.
 techguy
Msg: 45
Posted: 9/18/2006 7:16:26 PM

Good point. I would suggest though that the LPGA has been trying to change it's image from a tour of big, butchy, lady gym teacher players to that of a more stylish sexy image in an attempt to attract male viewers.

That's golf. The men (for the most part) and chubby, out of shape, silver spooned weenies. Why would the women be any different? Maybe some day they'll get fit. Maybe some day Davis Love III will smile. But not likely.

Sexist?........I suppose...but how many women have you met who like to watch football b/c of how the guys butts look in football pants? Hard to blame the LPGA....as has been said....sports is a business.

I like to think sports is sports. When it gets made into a business is when things goes to hell in a handbasket. I guess pro athletes have to ask themselves if they want to be taken seriously for their ability, or just looked at as a sex object.
 Cavalier1968
Msg: 46
Posted: 9/19/2006 6:12:43 AM
"That's golf. The men (for the most part) and chubby, out of shape, silver spooned weenies. Why would the women be any different? Maybe some day they'll get fit. Maybe some day Davis Love III will smile. But not likely."

True........but men are already watching golf. Doesn't matter what the players look like. But these TV execs and the LPGA want those same men to watch women's golf too. If you want that to happen, as sexist as it sounds, the women golfers better look like Natalie Gulbis and Wie and not Laura Davies.

"I like to think sports is sports. When it gets made into a business is when things goes to hell in a handbasket. I guess pro athletes have to ask themselves if they want to be taken seriously for their ability, or just looked at as a sex object."

You might like to think that...but the reality is much different. It already is a business. Depends on what your average woman golfer wants. To be taken seriously and make a couple hundred thousand playing and be anonymous or cultivate a more sexy image, thus opening the door for endorsements and other opportunities.

To be honest.......if I knew I had prepared and worked at my game and played to the best of my ability....i couldn't care less if viewed as a sex object. These are grown women and this is 2006. If they want to wear short shorts and a push up bra to play golf in.....who are we to tell them it's wrong? In this most indvidual of sports, if these women are comfortable(and they seem to be)with being viewed this way, it is really none of our business how they dress or what magazine they pose for. Let's get off our moral pulpit here. Many women sports fans have been watching sports for years to ogle their favorite male player. No discussion about how degrading that was to men was/is heard. If you can't look at these pretty young women playing without regarding them as sex objects..........that's your problem....not theirs.
 Coakley
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 9/19/2006 6:57:05 PM
wow very sexest comment there okay...
I believe women should not have their own league unless men for their own. Its not fair that Michelle Wie can play in the PGA yet i cannot play in her league. it should be strict if they have own for the women there should be one for the men. Its the sme way for gyms i cannot stand that they have women only gyms yet there are no men only gyms (at least in my area).

In the end i think there should be only one league which is the PGA it will benefit women in having a harder course to play, and they will learn to adapt and start beating men.
 techguy
Msg: 48
Posted: 9/19/2006 8:59:37 PM

True........but men are already watching golf. Doesn't matter what the players look like. But these TV execs and the LPGA want those same men to watch women's golf too. If you want that to happen, as sexist as it sounds, the women golfers better look like Natalie Gulbis and Wie and not Laura Davies.

I don't watch golf.

You might like to think that...but the reality is much different. It already is a business. Depends on what your average woman golfer wants. To be taken seriously and make a couple hundred thousand playing and be anonymous or cultivate a more sexy image, thus opening the door for endorsements and other opportunities.

Don't most women want to be taken seriously? I mean look at this site. Even the ones that post provocative pictures say they want to be treated with respect.

To be honest.......if I knew I had prepared and worked at my game and played to the best of my ability....i couldn't care less if viewed as a sex object. These are grown women and this is 2006. If they want to wear short shorts and a push up bra to play golf in.....who are we to tell them it's wrong?

Why not take it all off? Play golf naked. Or have strip golf. For every hole that the opponent wins, the loser has to remove an item of clothing. Why adhere to the rules at all? The game could be more exciting on TV if players could hit exploding balls, or hide their opponents ball in the rough, etc.

If you can't look at these pretty young women playing without regarding them as sex objects..........that's your problem....not theirs.

Are you mad?
 EMUGLENN
Msg: 49
Posted: 12/18/2006 3:53:16 AM
OH well.....the 2006 golf season has come to an end and still no female has made a cut in a men's tournament.
I'll put my money on the same thing happening in 2007
 ski4life
Msg: 50
Posted: 12/19/2006 11:25:05 AM
There are two leagues, the pga(men) and lpga(women). It makes no sense for a women to compete in a men's league, and vice versa.
Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > Should Women Play In The PGA?