Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > New Brunswick  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Super Ryan
Msg: 19
Have you seen any good movies lately?Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
I feel like I need to give a bit of a lesson on 3-D, and how it works. There is basically three types, with a forth coming out in the future.

The first type was the old red/blue lenses. They can be used with a regular projector or a regular TV. They work by adding blue and red shadows to the image. One eye sees the blue and one eye sees the red. The blue and the red only add shadows to the image giving the illusion of 3-D.

Next came the polarized 3-D films. This is what all the new movies are using in the theater. It requires two special projectors to work, and does not work with any television. With this system, the glasses have one lens that is polarized up/down and one lens that is polarized left/right. The projectors are shot through the same lenses, one projector through a up/down polarized filter and one through a left/right polarized filter. When the movie is played, one eye can only see what is coming from one projector and the other eye can only see what is coming from the other projector. The 3-D illusion comes from the image of each projector being at a slightly different angle then the other projector, the same way as your eyes see the world from a slightly different angle then the other eye. The glasses from these films will not work with the new 3-D TVs.

The most recent release in the LCD shutter glasses. These were originally designed for the theater, because of the high cost of the glasses they never caught on for the theater. They did have one advantage over polarized, and that was that they could be projected from a single double speed projector. This is the technology of the new 3-D TVs. The glasses for this technology features on LCD shutter in each lens and a radio reciever, some even have stereo headphones. The two lenses alternate between being transparent and being opaque, with only one eye being able to see out at a time. The TV or projector will also alternate from showing a left eye image and a right eye image, the radio reciever is used to sync up the glasses with the TV or projector, so that the right lens is opaque while the left image is shown and the left lens is opaque when the right image is shown.

The newest kind, and the one I know the least about, is called Autostereoscopic Displays. It has not yet been released and does not require any glasses. This is television technology and will not be used in the theater. The way how I understand it (I might be wrong), is that the TV will be broken up into a series of vertical lines, each line being a single pixle wide, and will alternate between a left image line and a right image line. Now if you have ever viewed an LCD monitor or TV from a bad angle, you should be aware that the image turns black if the angle is too severe, this is the concept that will make this technology work. All of the left image lines will be at one angle and all the right image lines will be at another. This will cause the left image lines to appear black to the right eye, and the right image lines to appear black to the left eye. Because this will result in the 3-D image only being viewable from a certain sweet spot, which means it is only suitable for one person (unless you want to stack on top of each other). This means it is not likely that it will be used for the big screen TVs, it will more likely be used for computer monitors and cell phones. That's right, 3-D cellphones without the need for special glasses.

Now you might be asking which is the best technology. Obviously the red/blue glasses is the worst, and I can't really give an opinion on Autostereoscopic Displays, since they have not been perfected yet. So that leaves the polarized and the LCD shutters, both achieve near identical illusions of 3-D, with one being very well suited for the theater and the other well suited for the home television set. The real quality issue comes from how the film was made.
There are basically three ways to make a 3-D film.
Going full CGI. This method uses computers to create all images.
Filming with a special two lens camera. One lens records a right eye image and the other lens recording a left eye image.
The third type is a hybrid. This method they film with a regular single image camera, and digitally altering the image to create a second slightly altered image.

And then there is also different qualities of films. Most films are shot in 35mm, this includes the majority of the new 3-D films, but IMAX uses a 70mm film for their projects (not nessesarily the films showing at the IMAX theater).

By far the best 3-D I have seen is the true IMAX 3-D. This technology can make it appear like a fish is 12 inches in front of your nose.
I believe it was IMAX that invented both the polarized method and the LCD shutter method.
 Life_Is_Better
Msg: 29
Have you seen any good movies lately?
Posted: 2/3/2011 7:35:46 PM
Just saw The King's Speech with a gal I met here on POF (we're just getting to know one another). There truly has not been as good a movie as this one in a long, long time. If Colin Firth does not win an Oscar for his performance, it will be not only a shame but a very good indication of just what the Oscar's are all about. The story line is apparently based on the true life of King George VI and was not released until after his mother's death. I have never heard a bad thing said about this movie by anyone who has seen it. I recommend it and also that you see it on a big screen - it deserves to be seen in a theatre rather than on a TV!

Bill
 LiliMarleen
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 2/18/2011 8:52:02 AM
King's Speech, definitely, and Black Swan! Natalie Portman is amazing in it. Very disturbing, though. Not for the faint of heart.
 Doctor WTF
Msg: 34
Posted: 4/1/2011 3:27:29 AM
Not a new movie, by any means, but a favourite; I just acquired Gigi on VHS - only 99 cents at Value Village. I love that movie. Leslie Caron was incredibly talented, as well as being almost inhumanly cute.
 Ed Bear
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 3/28/2012 5:39:50 AM
The new generation of "REALD"-era 3D films do not use polarized glasses, which is why the stereo doesn't go wonly when you tilt your head.

They're closer to the red-green tradition. Each lens (and projector) is a bandpass filter passing a red, green and blue wavelength range. With such a combo one can approximate just about any film color. But the two lenses and projectors use DIFFERENT reg, green and blue bands, so the two eyes don't "see" the same colors and thus not the same image. But the brain generates about the same colors for the objects we see.

They don't like to talk about it. A newspaper found their patent and published it. (Legally, patents have to be public.)
ED BEAR
 SeasideShorey
Msg: 38
Posted: 4/22/2012 3:08:50 PM
Stranger Than Ficton, A story about a man that is IRS auditor suddenly finds himself the subject of narration only he can hear: narration that begins to affect his entire life, from his work, to his love-interest, to his death.
I watched it on you tube (free) (all the better). I enjoyed this movie for a rainy Sunday afternoon while working up stairs.
 Ed Bear
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 4/26/2012 4:08:05 AM
Mara: Get a video card that can output to your big-screen TV, and a cable to reach it! I'd offer you one from the Bearheap but I think you're in another country...

LATEST MOVIES:

1. SNOW FLOWER AND THE SECRET FAN
It feels like a mainland-China Mandarin production, but it's by Wayne Wang of San Fran (and Amy Tan's JOY LUCK CLUB adaptation). Ah, see, he made it in Shanghai with mostly PRC staff and a full Party minder. Decent quality adaptation becoming a twin-timeline Chinese Chick-Flick. Not that that's always a Bad Thing.

I enjoyed it in a syrupy emotional way, having some experience with Mandarin cinema. Wang added the modern parallel story to a strictly period book, and I don't think it was helpful. Li BingBing is very worthy of the part. Wish I could remember the Korean co-star's name, but she carried her part off well without being as riveting as Li.

The film's discussion of foot-binding, women's formal friendships that were allowed to keep contact after marriage, and the Nu-Shu women's language that was kept secret from men for a thousand years provide historical fascination and counterpoint the isolation of a woman married and cut off from her friends and family. The story only works as treacle, though.

2. THE HUNGER GAMES
Hey, I REALLY liked this one! They did a pretty good job of getting almost all of the short book into it, preserving its voice and only modifying its point of view to let us see our heroine, to let some of the ceremonial footage fill the stage, and to follow Rue to peace. Smashing emotional impact, and some very strong shockers - I'm not at all the protective sort, and think the book would be fine for any high-schooler, but the film's multimedia effect might be nightmare-genic for some high-schoolers.

Ignore the trailers; they focus on a very small facet of the saga. Being Katniss - a young woman in a society that doesn't seem to offer its children half a chance - is what modern young viewers will feel is their own story.
ED BEAR
 ThatNickGuy78
Msg: 40
Posted: 4/26/2012 8:31:16 PM
1) Cabin in the Woods

This one's definitely not for everyone. If you're a fan of horror flicks like I am, then you'll appreciate it. If you're a fan of Joss Whedon, especially for Buffy and Angel, then I'd recommend it. There are a LOT of nods to all the horror flicks I grew up on. It's less a horror movie and more a comedy. At least to me, anyway. There's the occasional jump scare, but at the highest of suspenseful moments, Whedon throws in some comedy.

The other interesting thing is that, as Whedon calls it, the movie is a "love-hate letter" to the horror genre. There are three major groups involved in this movie, which I won't spoil. But each of them play the role of, essentially, the three main layers of film-making: the actors, the movie producers, and the audience. Which makes the ending for this VERY interesting.

2) The Darkest Hour

Ehhhh, it was okay. It's a sci-fi horror flick with an interesting premise, but it was your usual "run from the monsters until we figure out how to fight them" sort of thing. Really fun to see a different city other than New York torn apart for a change (in this case: Moscow). If you happen to see it on Netflix (if they get it; they likely will) and you don't have anything better to do for an hour and a half, I say give it a watch.
Show ALL Forums  > New Brunswick  >