Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Jan Sobieski
Msg: 516
view profile
History
Is Legitimate Science in Conflict with Religion?Page 26 of 26    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26)
Its not that science and religion are 'opposed' in any sense, the truth of the matter is that they are two complety different 'games' so to speak. The conflict arises when religious people make scientific propositions (e.g intelligent design) of which they have no right whatsoever to make.

I would also add that whilst science most certainly should NOT be considered as a religion, it certainly CAN be as such to certain individuals. This is true in as much as an individual can find a 'religious meaning' in many things: perhaps a system of economics; perhaps national identity.

I guess what I am saying is that legitimate science can never be in conflict with religion; just as legitimate religion should never be in conflict with science.
 hungry_joe
Msg: 518
view profile
History
Is Legitimate Science in Conflict with Religion?
Posted: 10/30/2010 6:35:19 AM
Krebby,

Those that have a limited understanding of science apply it as religion. A scientist said so therefore, it must be. I agree that science is a means and and a method of gaining knowledge and understanding, externally.

Some would argue that religion is a means gaining knowledge interally. I don't know about knowledge....maybe insight. Inasmuch, as you and see a string of human behavior over the centuries...and human nature.

Does this mean you must firmly be in on camp or another? Of course not, I use scince to improve my understanding using a set methodolgy...I have a Problem I need a solution to this problem. I think of a a solution. I test my solutioin. It passes or fails, then I go from there. If a significant problem, I try to repeat my results. I futher test my therory to see what is truely the answer....my answer had a total effect and is my solution, my therory had some effect, but only when used in conjunction with stimulus x under y conditions, my therory had no effect on the solution and it was something else that fixed my problem.

Religion well....I believe what I believe because I choose to, or I was rasied to think in a certain cosmology. And I act accordingly. One action should have little bearing on my actions. I will leave some wiggle room for Moral objections. But I define morals and eithics a little differently....as defined in the God existance post.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >