Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 sum1reel
Msg: 120
what happens to the general and special theory of relativity if light speed isnt a constant ? Page 6 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)

He concluded, by the way, that the Universe could spontaneously arise out of nothing, and that likely 500 Billion Universes did just that, and we happen to be living in a Universe where the laws of physics is conducive to our way of life - - I just can't agree with that theory

I can't either.....until he discovers exactly what "nothingness"(out side the confines of the Multiverse) really is.....he is just voicing an opinion (at best), or making a hollow conjecture (at worst).
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 121
view profile
History
what happens to the general and special theory of relativity if light speed isnt a constant ?
Posted: 4/18/2011 10:09:18 PM
Please don't complain on MY behalf, jackforyou. My life is such that I can not give the time I would require to know as much as I want to, and so I read things such as Abelian writes, and though I DON'T grasp much of it, I grasp ENOUGH to make a tiny, yet occasionally satisfying bits of progress for myself.
My most recent 'relative' leap forward, came from the mention of using GEOMETRY to understand some of the complexities of physics. In addition to simply being excited because I DO relate VERY well to geometry (far better than to algebra), I have a shot at gaining more of an understanding than I've heretofore had. In addition, just the possibility that when someone speaks of things like "coordinate transforms," that they are referring to a geometric model, suddenly gives those words a potentially comprehensible meaning for me, where before, the phrases were as meaningless as magic "mumbo-jumbo" words.
So PLEASE, I hope EVERYONE continues to jabber about things I don't understand. I may remain a relatively ignorant boob, but I will become a MICROSCOPICALLY LESS ignorant boob, with each fresh attempt.
 abelian
Msg: 122
what happens to the general and special theory of relativity if light speed isnt a constant ?
Posted: 4/19/2011 4:07:41 AM

I grasp ENOUGH to make a tiny, yet occasionally satisfying bits of progress for myself.

That is the way everyone learns physics. When I started graduate school, I used to listen to my advisor ramble on about stuff that I knew nothing about and which was way over my head. Occasionally, I'd ask a question if he said something familar enough to me that I could at least ask something sensible. Eventually, I was able to connect the dots, but it helped to hear the words in various contexts long before I knew what he was talking about.

My most recent 'relative' leap forward, came from the mention of using GEOMETRY to understand some of the complexities of physics. In addition to simply being excited because I DO relate VERY well to geometry (far better than to algebra), I have a shot at gaining more of an understanding than I've heretofore had.

You should look for the book, ``Spacetime Physics,'' by Taylor and Wheeler. Also, the algebraic and geometric descriptions are equivalent, so which you find more intuitive is a personal preference.
 jackfouru
Msg: 123
Posted: 4/19/2011 10:03:35 AM
point well taken Igor. I suppose I felt that Abe was spending a lot of time explaining things that was going over everybody's head anyway, but heck if you get something out of it . . that's great. Maybe it is a function of my age and early onset Alzheimers, but this stuff makes my head spin.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >