Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > What kind of woman has or chooses to keep a child knowing that they w      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 mrcs84
Msg: 85
view profile
History
What kind of woman has or chooses to keep a child knowing that they won't have a father?Page 7 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
That's a remote case that can be overturned if the guy proves....oh yeah, you find that inconvenient.

So far, that's only true in 10 states in the US. (not sure about Canada)

I agree with the person who said you provided the bullets he uses. That's the only way your comparison would be valid. So I ask you, if you have bullets and a person has a gun and someone gets killed

Actually it would be more along the lines of I gave the guy blanks, and the dude on the other side of the shooter gave him real bullets. My bullets didn't result in anyone's death, however I am still facing the consequences.

I also don't see that question as a valid response to this discussion, or a choice anyone will have to make.

"Innocent going to jail" - guy that has been falsely accused of paternity being forced to pay child support for a child that isn't his.

"Guilty set free" - real father not paying child support. Mother facing no penalty for falsely accusing.
 SpecificTruths
Msg: 86
What kind of woman has or chooses to keep a child knowing that they won't have a father?
Posted: 12/10/2010 7:30:14 AM

The woman is being irresponsible, and so is the man.
Yeah, I meant to include men my statement about not being responsible. It takes two to tango, after all.

People my disagree with me, but I think, for example, that when two people are married at say age 22 and they make a baby or two, they're being irresponsible. Marriage or not.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 87
What kind of woman has or chooses to keep a child knowing that they won't have a father?
Posted: 12/10/2010 9:54:06 AM

So far, that's only true in 10 states in the US. (not sure about Canada)

Look, I understand that the laws aren't always convenient, but there is no way you will end up paying large amounts of money without your consent or notification at SOME point. If you do learn about it and feel put out fighting it, then that's another issue. Not all subpoenas are given out to someone who has no clue it happened - in fact, most are personally delivered, so unless you throw it away yourself that's the end of that.

Actually it would be more along the lines of I gave the guy blanks, and the dude on the other side of the shooter gave him real bullets. My bullets didn't result in anyone's death, however I am still facing the consequences.

If you're shooting blanks and you have proof of it, how is this not a moot argument? And pregnancy isn't the same as murder (unless you like to be dramatic).

"Innocent going to jail" - guy that has been falsely accused of paternity being forced to pay child support for a child that isn't his.

"Guilty set free" - real father not paying child support. Mother facing no penalty for falsely accusing.

I still say there are never only two options. You may not like the other ones, but that doesn't dismiss the fact that they are there. You want to play, you may have to pay. That's the bottom line. If you're THAT worried about paying, don't play. Period. That goes for men AND women.
 Tigerbabygirl
Msg: 88
Posted: 1/12/2011 2:26:28 PM
accidents do happen, but are they considered accidents the 2nd, 3rd, 4th time and on? Or just plain stupidity?

I can believe accidents happen, but one should be intelligent enough not to allow the same accident to continue happening... especially when it becomes several different men involved.
 ohwhynot46
Msg: 89
view profile
History
Posted: 1/12/2011 6:55:39 PM

Option C. She can pay for it, and if/when it's found not to be mine, she can pay my court costs and kick rocks.

Surely you are intelligent enough to realize that it works the way it does because, far more often than not, paternity is established as fact. Every time this comes up, we are left to argue about the minority; the deceptive, rotten human beings that surely exist equally in both genders. Men are responsible to pay for the test because when they deny paternity, 70% of the time they are proven to be fathers. It really is that simple, from a legal standpoint.

It's not about pitting men against women, and it always shocks me how readily people go off on the opposite sex as if this isn't a DATING site. It's about one's level of desire not to be a parent. If you are dead set against impregnating someone., or becoming pregnant, the responsibility to avoid doing so falls on you, period. Of course, each individual decides in whom to place their trust, and to what degree they do so, but that is part & parcel of making choices, taking responsibility, consequences, etc. We have to deal with it, that's all.
 SweetnessInFlorida
Msg: 90
Posted: 1/12/2011 11:58:36 PM

Granted that yes most were true but how often women like to forget about how many of those pregnancies were caused by stupidity or deception on the woman's part.
Be it that they were told by a doctor that pregnancy was unlikely and decided to forego BC. Better yet when told of their chances selectively heard impossible as opposed to improbable.
Or the many who assumed that getting pregnant was a surefire way to keep a man in a failing relationship.
Or spent more time trying to figure out which company had the best cell phone plan for unlimited texting as opposed to which birth control method was best suited to them.
Anyway I'll take the 30%, thanks for the concession.

I vaguely remember hearing about these 2 amazing products on the market, called condoms and nonoxynl-9 (sperm killer). Men can use these wondeful yet unheard of products if he dosnt fully trust that his woman cant have kids, or weather her birth control will fail or not. I dont believe that hormonal birth control fails as often as women claim it does, but making the decision to have or not have kids is a HUGE decision, and if you leave that decision in the hands of someone else, dont be surprised when a decision is made that you never wanted. In my world thats just street-wise common sense.
Then theres always extreme measures, like vastectomy, or being particular about where you jizz.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 91
Posted: 1/13/2011 9:51:16 AM

If you are dead set against impregnating someone., or becoming pregnant, the responsibility to avoid doing so falls on you, period.

Exactly. If you really don't want a child, you won't have a child - one way or the other. If you end up parenting a child biologically - in almost all cases - you dropped the ball and that's what caused it.
 ohwhynot46
Msg: 92
view profile
History
Posted: 1/13/2011 7:15:00 PM

Sure I'll give you the 70% percent because of how often you would claim that 30% percent was merely fiction based on previous debates(?) Funny how that number now only seems liable when you need it for your own but we don't wish to bring up old posts now do we, " whybother".

But let's us take a good look at that 70%.

Granted that yes most were true but how often women like to forget about how many of those pregnancies were caused by stupidity or deception on the woman's part.
Be it that they were told by a doctor that pregnancy was unlikely and decided to forego BC. Better yet when told of their chances selectively heard impossible as opposed to improbable.
Or the many who assumed that getting pregnant was a surefire way to keep a man in a failing relationship.
Or spent more time trying to figure out which company had the best cell phone plan for unlimited texting as opposed to which birth control method was best suited to them.
Anyway I'll take the 30%, thanks for the concession.

The percentage is not mine; it originated from another poster in an effort to show that the number of deceptive women merits a change in statute, if you recall. I didn't say it was "fiction", only refuted that it was majority, and it is not (30% is most certainly not a majority, in any sense of the word). I have never defended those women who deceive, but the truth is, legislation is passed based on majority, and the majority of women, according to this particular statistic, are not lying. As you well know, I am not a big fan of statistics, as they can be used from any angle. Interpretation leads to subjective statements, no matter how it is slanted.
You grant that this true, then proceed to call out the evil women. There are men who are simply too lazy to take responsibility for birth control, men who lie about fertility, men who refuse to take responsibility for their offspring, too. Those women who bear their children suffer as well. Neither is right, but, as far as determining on a legal basis who lays out the cash for a paternity test, the stats are relevant. As far as I am concerned, the cost should be borne by the party proven wrong, whether their error was intentional or not, but I don't make the laws. That aspect is not, however, the topic of this discussion. I remain steadfast in my contention that the onus is on each of us, to the degree we wish not to become responsible, financially or otherwise, for the life of another, to prevent it from happening. That doesn't seem to me to be such a difficult concept to grasp, nor is it gender specific, and frankly, I have yet to see a logical argument made refuting it, certainly not the stupidity & deception on the part of both parties equally, which is likely closer to the truth in most instances.
 mrcs84
Msg: 93
view profile
History
Posted: 1/13/2011 8:09:18 PM

Why should only one sex have the only opt out because of stupidity/neglect/laziness clause?

"Blah blah blah biology blah blah blah." And we are huge advocates for not leveling the playing field because of things that we're born with(out). Derka Derka

Unless you'd like to concede that all women who got pregnant by accident were merely victims of a shrewd con and can't be held responsible.

Even if the man -was- deceitful, she still has an exit strategy.
 ohwhynot46
Msg: 94
view profile
History
Posted: 1/13/2011 8:33:25 PM
Why would anyone think that the playing field should be level at all? Deal with the reality. btw, there does not exist an exit strategy for many. Simply being legal does not make abortion an option for many. There are advantages & disadvantages to nearly every aspect of our lives: our height, weight, IQ, gender, etc. Why should the playing field be level at all? It is not. Decisions based in reality are most often the wisest. The strongest among us is the one who is cognizant & accepting of their greatest weakness, whatever it may be. Time to take on some personal responsibility; this is not a gender specific discussion, it is specific to the individual, regardless of the field on which they "play".
 mrcs84
Msg: 95
view profile
History
Posted: 1/13/2011 8:41:59 PM

If you want to level your playing field because you feel screwed over by biology, there's an operation for that. Derka Derka

There are plenty of sexually active men that want kids -eventually-, and don't want some woman pressing the fast-forward button. Or do you want to be yet another person wants to take the Roe v Wade argument of, "If you don't want kids, then don't have sex" that was used against women and just pit it against men?
 ohwhynot46
Msg: 96
view profile
History
Posted: 1/13/2011 9:23:04 PM

You'd like us to think that having the option of not becoming a parent is akin to changing one's hair colour or putting lifts in one's shoes is pretty weak.
This is the extreme gender discussion.

Quite wrong. I'd like "us" to realize that the prevention of becoming a parent, to the one who so vehemently does not want to do so, is akin to doing whatever it takes to save your life.

{quote]I've had a vasectomy so I have taken precaution but not because of doing the right thing but out of fear of being taken to the cleaners for the second time because no matter how you slice it or attempt to justify it, men are being held to the whims of the female gender under the guise of "taking responsibility" for one's actions.

Certain men are held to the whim of the woman with whom they chose to lay. Should those men not be held to the same standard as the women you describe thusly?:

As far as playing student I imagine Tealwood was more likely refering to those divorced women when forced to face the facts realize that getting a proper education was something that should have happened before childbirth not after.
Also when you look at the most common situations for most men the idea of returning to school is wishful thinking when they are most likely the ones who are paying for her lifestyle. I doubt very much that men would be allowed to work part time and reduce their support payments for three to six years

Those who erred by not opting for higher education prior to having children are held to a higher degree of responsibility than the one who chooses as a partner someone who is less than honest? They should not be "allowed" to attempt to better their lives? Would that make things better, really?

It seems apparent to me why you deem this "the extreme gender discussion".
 mrcs84
Msg: 97
view profile
History
Posted: 1/13/2011 11:19:30 PM

Why would anyone think that the playing field should be level at all? Deal with the reality....There are advantages & disadvantages to nearly every aspect of our lives.

That is acquiescence with suggesting that we get rid of programs like, student grants, welfare, and WIC. These are all things that are government funded and they level the playing field. But to hell with those people too, right? They should play with the cards they are dealt and not be able to seek outside assistance.

Of course, then you follow up with this statement:

Those who erred by not opting for higher education prior to having children are held to a higher degree of responsibility than the one who chooses as a partner someone who is less than honest? They should not be "allowed" to attempt to better their lives?

Based on the logic of your first post, no they shouldn't. Social Darwinism all the way!!!

Sure but you still haven't given men the same opt out clause regardless of accidental pregnancy.

Yep, they're still throwing out the pre-conception red herring when it's the post-conception argument that is being pressed. So much for that whole "logic" thing.

I'm also curious to see where those condom/BCP effectiveness stats came from. All of the research I've read states that condoms are the least effective form of BC (looking at typical use), and yet it's all that men have access to.
 SweetnessInFlorida
Msg: 98
Posted: 1/14/2011 12:00:06 AM

As far as the amazing products known as condoms and spermicide go, there are just as many women who prefer natural sex without some piece of latex as there are men.

Nobody can force anyone, unless it is rape, to have sex with a woman without a condom. Sure there are women who like it, but you dont have to oblige her.
I would only have sex with a man without a condom and nonoxynl-9, if i was not prepared t emotionally and financially raise a child in the event of my birth control failing, or i wanted to get pregnant.
A man is certainly competent and capable of being responsible for protection.

I had an unplanned child in my youth. I dont whine and play victim about it, i just decided to make better choices.

You ladies are the gate keepers are you not?
Yes, i am the gatekeeper of my vagina, just as men are the gatekeepers of their penises and sperm.

And I can most assuredly say that if a woman said to any man that you're not putting that inside me without a wrapper, he would bolting down to the nearest 7-11/pub washroom/shopper drug mart to get one yet even with all that you still get an escape clause just in case
A smart man would have that stuff pre-stocked in his medicine cabinet.

Unless you'd like to concede that all women who got pregnant by accident were merely victims of a shrewd con and can't be held responsible.
Nope.
Every individual, regardless of gender, race, religion, and creed, is responsible for taking care of themselves, especially when it comes to important things such as having children. Why leave the choice in someones else's hands.
I choose to use birth control when i am not in the mood to have another baby.
If my man wants to raw-dog, he is informed of the fact that if a baby occurs, i will keep and raise the child, so if he wants a night of skin on skin romance, that is a chance he takes.
Why wouldnt a man do the same? Why would you leave such a huge decision in the hands of women, whom you obviously have trust issues with?
Why would you let a gender you dont trust, to hold the cards in weather you will be a father, or not?

While biology and the lack of "opt-out" laws in place for men who dont want to care for their unplanned children may be unfair, any person that has a 5th grade education is aware that women are the ones that have a choice after a pregnancy occurs. So why GO THERE? Why put yourself in that position of a woman carrying a child you dont want?
If you deem women untrustworthy and out to get men and pop out their babies, why would you not be advocating to every man out there to wrap it up, buy nonoxynl-9 by the case, or get it snipped?
 mrcs84
Msg: 99
view profile
History
Posted: 1/14/2011 8:35:14 AM
This entire argument is based on a desire for less accountability one's own actions.

Yeah, just WIC or getting a student grant. Not wanting to have to pay [as much] for those children or that education all by one's self.

Do you honestly think there's even a shred of dignity or respectability in the concept that other human beings should be forced to bear these burdens because you felt like getting laid, and simply didn't feel like taking any precautions in doing so?

This is congruent with the women that are siring these children when they are not in the financial position to raise them. But at least the gub'ment will throw money at them for their choices, right? Just so long as they hide behind the "best interest of the child" argument, it's just fine and dandy.

Men don't sit around and whine and complain about how unfair things are. They face reality, and accept it as such. They figure out how to work with what they've got, to create what they want.

If women didn't complain about how unfair thing are, we wouldn't have had a women's rights movement. Or should we just ignore those few years in history?
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 100
Posted: 1/14/2011 9:46:19 AM
If you don't want to have a child - make sure you cover your end of the deal. A child is born to TWO parents who made that choice (even if that choice was born out of complacency or laziness) barring forced unprotected sex.

If you don't want to be responsible for a child, don't do anything that would put you in a place where you'd have to be.

If you are a guy who is worried about someone coming after you for a kid, don't father a kid. Do whatever you have to do to prevent a pregnancy from occuring - including getting a vasectomy, using condoms, avoiding sex. That's YOUR responsibility to see that YOU aren't on the other end of someone getting pregnant.

By the same token, if you are a woman who doesn't want to get pregnant and end up stuck with a kid, do whatever you need to do to prevent that. Get spayed, use birth control, abstain from sex and don't ever plan to have any child if you have to depend on anyone else to help you (including men, the government, family). All that should be nice but never factored into the choice to concieve. It's irrelevant that a woman has the option to adopt or abort - if anything that should be a plus for you if a woman you slept with and knocked up can do that and has chosen to.

If a man or woman gets together with the opposite sex and one of them is irresponsible, the child can still be avoided if the other is REALLY trying to avoid pregnancy. If both are trying, then it's twice the likelihood that it won't happen. It takes two to create a child, so if you plan to participate in sex with the opposite gender, you can only control YOUR end of things. Like driving on the road and being defensive another driver who's reckless can harm you, you must be defensive when having sex that you don't end up with an STD or a child. It might not be a real mood enhancer, but too bad. It's the way it is.

If you go into it hoping the other person has your best interest, you're being foolish. Sorry.

All else is hot air.
 SweetnessInFlorida
Msg: 101
Posted: 1/14/2011 9:58:43 AM
Do you even realize that before womens rights came along, abortion was illegal and birth control was unheard of?
Men didnt want women having that much power, to be able to choose weather to cary a child or not, or have the sexual freedom that came from having more pregnancy prevention options that the invention of the birth control pill brought along with it.

If you are anti-womens rights, then you are also anti-birth control and anti-abortion.

Loading women down with babies was the most surefire way of keeping her in her place, if she was loaded down with 10 kids she didnt have any time to fight for her equality and rights.
Some of those femi-nazi's were the biggest advocates and political rallyers towards the pro-choice movement, and have their own form of birth control so they wouldnt be saddled down with truckloads babies when some horny dude didnt want to wear a rubber.

The choice IS the womans to make, once an egg is fertilised.
Not all women believe in abortion though, and not all women can take hormonal birth control, and not all women will take it correctly, so dont be a DUMB ASS TRICK and PROTECT YOURSELF FROM IRRESPONSIBLY FATHERING CHILDREN.
Once you jizz in a womansd iterus, its up to her what she does from there if conception occurs. But that would beg the question, just how did your jizz get up in her uterus? Unprotected sex?

I dont want MY taxes paying for YOUR little **stards because you are to dumb to not raw dog a hoe and protect yourself.
Do you have a couple ugly dirty ass kids running around eating gub'ment cheese and being housed and clothed off the taxpayer dime and being raised by some untrustworthy woman who you just couldnt resist rawdogging without a rubber and spermicide, because her feminine wiles just rendered you helpless and irresponsible, MRCS???

Just out of curiosity, do you even bother to take the time to find out if a woman takes a pro-life or pro-choice stance, and what her most likely decision will be in the event iof unwanted pregnancy?
 mrcs84
Msg: 102
view profile
History
Posted: 1/14/2011 12:23:02 PM

Has it occured to you that the gub'ment wouldn't need to step up with the cheese, if boys like you didn't feel entitled to create children then abandon them?

"Boys like me" don't have any kids.

This also ignores all of the other factors for being single parents such as the father losing his life or getting the children that he wanted to be involved with stripped from him for some reason, or because both parents were too young to be having kids but they did anyway.

Just out of curiosity, do you even bother to take the time to find out if a woman takes a pro-life or pro-choice stance, and what her most likely decision will be in the event iof unwanted pregnancy?

The way I approach sex is like this: Before even getting naked, I ask the very direct question of "If we were to have sex, and you got pregnant, would you have the baby?" If she gives me anything other than a very direct "no," then I move on. "I'm not really sure".....not good enough. "We'll cross that bridge if/when we get to it"....not good enough. I also tell her that if she lied to me, then I will do the absolute minimum that is legally required of me to raise that child. He/She would be lucky to get a phone call from me on birthdays/holidays. And yes, I most certainly use condoms. Until I am in an LTR, and she is able to provide documentation that she is incapable of having children -and- STD free, then I won't have it any other way.
 english lass
Msg: 103
Posted: 1/14/2011 2:08:11 PM
to *keep* a child - one who loves it

next?
 ohwhynot46
Msg: 104
view profile
History
Posted: 1/14/2011 6:15:17 PM

That is acquiescence with suggesting that we get rid of programs like, student grants, welfare, and WIC. These are all things that are government funded and they level the playing field. But to hell with those people too, right? They should play with the cards they are dealt and not be able to seek outside assistance

Asking for help is not the same as having a sense of entitlement, just as dealing with biological fact is not the same as acquiescing.

Based on the logic of your first post, no they shouldn't. Social Darwinism all the way!!

A far cry from my logic, but at least an intelligent refute. Two points for you.

There is a logical argument for why men don't have the same opt out clause when it comes to post conception; they can't get pregnant! You can argue forever, but the truth is, women will never be able to pee on a tree while standing. Follow?

The way I approach sex is like this: Before even getting naked, I ask the very direct question of "If we were to have sex, and you got pregnant, would you have the baby?" If she gives me anything other than a very direct "no," then I move on. "I'm not really sure".....not good enough. "We'll cross that bridge if/when we get to it"....not good enough. I also tell her that if she lied to me, then I will do the absolute minimum that is legally required of me to raise that child. He/She would be lucky to get a phone call from me on birthdays/holidays. And yes, I most certainly use condoms. Until I am in an LTR, and she is able to provide documentation that she is incapable of having children -and- STD free, then I won't have it any other way.

With the above, you provide the best argument against yourself. Of course, I am sure you understand that even someone who adamantly states that they do not want children may feel very differently if they actually find that they are carrying a child inside. Cry "woman's prerogative" is unfair (and rightly so, from your perspective) but the truth is that there are many men as well who, once they realize that they have produced a human being, or see their child for the first time, have changed their mind about their level of involvement. Pertinent to the discussion at hand, however, is that your actions are exactly what those you are arguing against deem necessary for one who does not want kids.
 mrcs84
Msg: 105
view profile
History
Posted: 1/14/2011 8:12:13 PM

With the above, you provide the best argument against yourself.

I don't follow

but the truth is that there are many men as well who, once they realize that they have produced a human being, or see their child for the first time, have changed their mind about their level of involvement.

I guess I will have to cross that bridge if/when I come to it.

Pertinent to the discussion at hand, however, is that your actions are exactly what those you are arguing against deem necessary for one who does not want kids.

Is that such a bad thing?
 ohwhynot46
Msg: 106
view profile
History
Posted: 1/15/2011 5:15:36 AM
It's not a bad thing at all, it's a good thing. Crossing the bridge when you come to it, without having first done just as you describe in your own life, is the problem here, and it is not limited to women. Were you to decide, after reaching the bridge, that you shouldn't be held accountable simply because you are unable to terminate a pregnancy, though, would you be any different than the women who are held in such low esteem around here? With all that's been said, were someone to have phrased the original question as "What kind of man makes a child, then chooses to ignore his responsibility to that child?" some would redirect that responsibility to the woman since only she can abort. You can't have it both ways. Potential outcome is known to both parties, biology & heartfelt discussion prior to lying down aside. Both parties are equally responsible once a baby is conceived, however limited one's choices at that point (due to biology, religion, personal beliefs, etc.) and either party who defaults on their responsibility is guilty of reprehensible behavior. In short, do the right thing & two rights don't make a wrong, ya know?
 tmclopton
Msg: 107
view profile
History
Posted: 1/16/2011 10:00:32 AM
every one of my children is a birth control baby. abortion is murder!. if it has a heartbeat it is alive
 Tealwood
Msg: 108
Posted: 2/2/2011 4:44:03 AM

I don't think that the mother's (myself included) are shrugging off the responsibility or the obligations that come with the CONSEQEUNCES of having sex...

So says the poster who works part time......and who refused to allow her sons to live where they wanted as she required the father to go to court and get a court order as she needed the child support to assist in her choices of owning her own home...and working part time....

I would suggest that having sex...requires the responsibility of financial self sufficiency...for either parent......and when reviewing the non custodial numbers I also suggest that woman are even less responsible based on the cs numbers...

But in this house the thing has always been we....we can do alright...we do not need income supplement from the non custodial mother who also has her own bills to pay and her own mortgage to pay...insuring that the children have an alternative living option if they so chose....as opposed to the 2,000 sq foot home that is partially supported by child support.
 rks1607
Msg: 109
Posted: 8/19/2011 8:50:30 AM
Im a single mom and i choose to to keep my son. I was raped at 14 15 birthday i found out i was expecting I did choose adoption at first until i held my son in my arms. I knew i could give him all the love and care that he needed. I finished school im starting my nursing degree. I know someday i will meet someone who will love my son as thier own but until then im happy being mommy and daddy to my son. My son will never know anything about his father whom is in prison for many counts of rape.
Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > What kind of woman has or chooses to keep a child knowing that they won't have a father?