Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Strings6
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Obama signs anti-smoking lawPage 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Yes,this should get all the little contol monkeys chattering and jumping from tree to tree.
 CMonster
Msg: 8
Obama signs anti-smoking law
Posted: 3/18/2010 2:50:40 PM

shouldnt leaders lead by example

Pipe dream. Remember that they're politicians first.
 Delete_Me_Please
Msg: 10
Posted: 3/18/2010 3:01:33 PM
I can't imagine the regulation will make much difference. People will still smoke even if the box says, "THIS WILL KILL YOU" (come to think of it, a better approach would be a warning that says, "Guys who smoke get less pussy"). What will lower nicotine levels do? Result in lungs that are slightly less black?
 Casper66
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 3/18/2010 3:32:12 PM
It won't do a thing to stop young people from smoking, in Canada we have numerous anti-smoking laws, from no -smoking in any businesses including cabs, trains and buses, to not being able to smoke inside your car with children in it. We have warnings on all packages and now you can't display cigarettes out in the open at stores and the kids still smoke, maybe because it is such a taboo now. I quit smoking years ago and it was the best thing I ever did but it was my decision to do so, I didn't need the government to regulate it, but since the government has received money from sin taxes like tabacco for years I find them hypocrites when they now start to demonize the very companies there profitted from and where is that loss of revenue going to come from in the future.
 Strings6
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 3/18/2010 3:33:44 PM
it's all about control,the Nanny state and it's citizen stooges and minions making doggone sure we do the right thing by golly.....right as they define it of course.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 16
Posted: 3/18/2010 3:39:52 PM
I have no idea what this anti-smoking law says, but we do have regulations in Canada that make it darned hard for a minor to take up the habit. People under 18 can't buy them. If a business sells tobacco to a minor, they get the right to sell tobacco suspended for a month to start. Even big chains can have a store suspended if some employee messes up.

So some anti-smoking regulations do work.

But it's nice to see that some won't pass up any opportunity to bash the President. Wouldn't want to think there was anything so non-partisan and beneficial that they could see past their blinders of pure hate and bigotry.
 ForumFilly
Msg: 17
Posted: 3/18/2010 3:44:24 PM
Obama does smoke, but not INSIDE the White House. He goes outside. As someone who started smoking in the mid-1960's and just quit recently, I think the more regulation of tobacco products there is, the better.
 Strings6
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 3/18/2010 5:54:53 PM
halftimedad,who's bashing the president ?...this is just another law that gives government more power and the people less...more involvement of government in people's lives...."hatred" and "bigotry" is how you define disagreement and disobedience...obedience to Obama trumps all.The big square toed boot of government just a little farther up the people's wazoo...betcha get a woody just thinking about it
 Fort Garry Dark
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 3/18/2010 7:31:17 PM
Message 10

[Quote]"Guys who smoke get less pussy")

LOL

That might convince some smokers. 8 years since I quit.
 shoulderlegs
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 3/18/2010 8:47:44 PM
This so-called "president" is a complete HYPOCRITE.
 EvilLolli
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 3/18/2010 9:00:49 PM
Does this mean we have a new era of prohibition? Like in the 20-30's for alcohol? Damn, cigs are gonna go black market and make the mob a real new fortune. LOL Just because something is made a law, doesn't mean it is enforced or enforced well. I'll worry about it when I see it in action. After all prohibition was such a success*sarcasm*.

Due to taxes many are beginning to import their cigs from foreign countries. Which is pretty sad that it's cheaper to buy & import cigs from Russia/etc. then in the country that has a huge production of them.

As for influencing kids thru ads? Bah, just as many kids learn smoking from other sources than ads. The "cool kids", their parents, "role models", movies, television, etc. It's not all the ads directly by the tobacco industry. But I guess it makes some feel better and focus on this instead of other issues going on. So more power to them.
 GeneralizingNow
Msg: 26
Posted: 3/18/2010 9:32:57 PM
Although I am anti-smoking (mostly because they leave their butts strewn everywhere, the littering pigs), I do not care for this legislation. It's another example of throwing money in the wrong direction. Regulation of ADVERTISING? It's already regulated out the azz--they don't advertise tobacco on TV or in most magazines.

It's horrifyingly useless and wasteful, at a time when we can't AFFORD to waste any more money. Spend it somewhere else where it will do some good. Like on bailing out librarians who have mortgages.

The reason TEENS smoke and people at 30 yrs old do NOT is that they LEARN not to: they learn, through experience, that smoking hurts. Their throats hurt, their lungs hurt, their eyes hurt. Their WALLETS hurt, they can't run any more, etc. They learn, it's experience. Teens are notorious for ignoring "advice", right?
 Delete_Me_Please
Msg: 36
Posted: 3/19/2010 2:48:00 PM
^^To be clear, being the #1 health risk does not equate to being the most preventable killer, which smoking still holds the top spot for. Though, that's destined to change with less people smoking and more people becoming obese.

So you are all for the government being able to tell you what you can or can not do.

So I guess you would be ok with the government telling you that you must sign up for health care then or them telling you what you can or can not eat.

This regulation doesn't tell anybody what they can or can not do. People can still smoke up as much as they want. All it does is impact labeling and nicotine levels, which isn't any different than regulations that currently exist in most areas of life, including consumables like alcohol and food.
 Strings6
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 3/19/2010 9:42:19 PM
When they come after obesity i will support it 100%...not because i care....i don't,i donj't care how anyone chooses to live,or die for that matter...but because it will be a chance to take revenge on alot of fat people who were so quick to support controling others and how they live...it will be a pleasure to contribute to their control and regulation.
 Delete_Me_Please
Msg: 46
Posted: 3/20/2010 12:47:39 AM

I think we need to worry about the economy and these Presidents quit ducking the issue, with the laws in place, they cannot do anything about it...then passing dumb laws to appear they are doing something...

This bill was a decade in the making and received wide bipartisan support so this is hardly an Obama thing.
 renoirs_dream
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 3/20/2010 1:17:24 AM
I find this type of thinking incredible!

Here the government doesn't have enough funds to keep social security and medicare going because of the many Americans hitting retirement age. On the other hand they are saying to stay healthy.

WHY not do the reverse! Hey, smoke, drink and fool around like no other. That way you stick all those funds from your paycheck into the system then croak before you are able to collect them!!!!!!! Problem solved!!!!! Medicare and Social security at a plus!

Oh, BTW...

I seem to see a lot more people doing illegal drugs. Sure, make that pack of smokes $20.00. People smoke less ciggys. Then they will probably pick up a fatty. Heck, it's cheaper! lol

where4
Msg: 58
Posted: 4/8/2010 10:44:12 PM
Msg. 29:

oh wait...here come the fatties that are occupying as much as or more than their share of medical aid.

So what's the real source of healthcare woes? Smokers?

Hardly.

Fatties. Plain and simple. And guess what...there's gonna be far more fatties out there in the next decade than there ever could be in smokers, and you know what THAT means? Yea, MORE cost to give them medical aid while they still preach that smokers are hogging all the healthcare resources. All because the Govs are far too afraid of their own shadow to stand in front of the world and say "Hey listen fatties - enough is enough. We're gonna crack down on your tubby asses!!" For them it's just easier to toss out the red herrings and have people pay attention to cancer related expenses and deaths while cleverly ignoring the fatties.

But some of us, like myself, can see right through their thin veil of subterfuge.

Cancer costs ain't killin' us...fatties are.

Oh, wait...

Now whaaaatt?
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/andy-borowitz/teabaggers-new-cry-mrs-ob_b_508683.html

Teabaggers' New Cry: "Mrs. Obama, Hands Off Our Obesity"

WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report) - One day after the passage of an historic health care reform bill in the House of Representative, the Tea Party movement turned its attention to a new target today: First Lady Michelle Obama's campaign against obesity.

Carrying signs that read "Mrs. Obama, Hands Off Our Obesity," angry Teabaggers marched on the White House to accuse Michelle Obama, in the words of one protester, "of plotting to take the Big Macs out of our mouths."

"Being obese is one of our American core values," said Carol Foyler, a Teabagger from Toledo, Ohio who showed up for the march. "It's guaranteed by the Constitution."

Ms. Foyler said that Mrs. Obama's campaign against obesity was yet another example of the White House interfering in ordinary people's lives: "They want us all to be skinny like they are in Europe."

The Teabagger said that she would fight the First Lady's obesity campaign "because you know what happens when you get too thin? Your husband runs off with a tattoo model."

As the march reached the White House, Ms. Foyler said that the pro-obesity movement was already picking up steam: "Rush Limbaugh is definitely with us."

Outdoor2
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 4/10/2010 1:05:38 AM

To my current knowledge our past president currently doesn't smoke and didn't smoke while in the White House.

You're probably right....but there have been several episodes when it's pretty clear he was drinking everclear...

In other words when you sign an anti-smoking law, it might make a bit more sense if the signer wasn't a smoker themselves....just kind of hypocritical.

I've had the odd situation where an underage smoker or drinker has asked me to provide for them, with cash in hand.....to the drink seekers I say no...not until you're old enough....to the ones asking for smokes....they get a berating about the evils of smoking and a clear indication that they do not want to follow me on this part of my path.

They can emulate me if they want, but not in the smoking section.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >