Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Rythmn
Msg: 56
view profile
History
What do you deem as a useless/pointless invention?Page 4 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
mechanical vibrators! a sorry substitute for a relationship. well, i'm entitled to my own opinion. so, now they are also making them for men. soon relationships will be extinct!
 Deathraydan
Msg: 57
What do you deem as a useless/pointless invention?
Posted: 4/12/2010 8:36:37 AM
Decaffeinated coffee.
Beer with no alcohol in it.
Electronic nose hair clippers.
Gold coins advertised on TV that are plated with .021 microns of gold plate.
Sham Wow.
Bottled water takes the cake. Several years ago they investigated and found that most of it was Miami, FL municipal tap water.
I have always interpreted the term "New and Improved" to mean cheaper to make.
 Deathraydan
Msg: 58
Posted: 4/12/2010 9:31:27 AM
Microprocessor controlled toasters.
 Bluesman2008
Msg: 59
Posted: 4/13/2010 3:48:15 PM

Hmmm. The iPad comes to mind along with 99% of the rest of crap people buy.
 desertrhino
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 4/13/2010 7:04:52 PM
Lawyers are near the top of the list, followed by options traders.
 damassteel
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 4/14/2010 7:36:56 PM

Microprocessor controlled toasters.

ROFLMAO!!! Just the other day I was thinking that one.
I have invented a machine that turns ordinary dog biscuits into India Ink.
 MichelleRenee1234
Msg: 63
Posted: 4/21/2010 10:17:34 AM
Gotta agree with Myspace, facebook and ESPECIALLY twitter.... Nobody cares that you just got home from who-cares where and are about to do who-gives-a-crap what. You just look like an @ss for announcing it.

Those virtual farms have got to be the lamest $hit ever. I'm actually speechless about how astoundingly retarded they are.

Vibrators!!?? What?!!! BEST invention EVER!

iphone, ipad, video games, video game systems that come out every month.... all that needless technology. I don't just consider them useless, but a bane of human existence. If the geniuses creating these things would put their minds and efforts to some good use, we might actually progress as a society. But instead we need updated versions of x-box, nintendo, playstation, wii, some new phone or whatever ever 3 months. Really?

and finally... CHEMLAWN. When are they going to outlaw that $hit? Why does unnaturally green grass get preferential treatment to home-grown produce? I'd like to poop all over those artificially green lawns that prevent me from growing and consuming produce in my own back yard..... People. Jeez.
 bliss.stars
Msg: 64
Posted: 4/24/2010 8:10:02 PM

42 inch penis floating out at me in the middle of the living room would give me nightmares for months. And that's not even talking about the come shot.

i just woke my daughter up from laughing out loud...

i have to agree, wtf does somebody need a 3d television?! does this mean people will be sitting with those stupid cardboard red/blue glasses in front of the tv all the time?

and yes, bottled water!!

right now, im thinking handheld video games. i see kids playing them while they wait at the drs office, in restaurants waiting for their food, etc. my son has one, it stays at home, with time limits for playing it. its not a babysitter!
 cookie22222
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 4/27/2010 7:44:53 AM
There are plenty of things I see as pointless...but of course most of them are very useful to someone out there aren't they?

I think the kitchen gadgets are the worse - fill a whole room with piles of stuff that each do a different job...that can all be done with a really good knife and a few pots and pans.
 Deathraydan
Msg: 66
Posted: 4/28/2010 10:26:42 AM
I think the kitchen gadgets are the worse - fill a whole room with piles of stuff that each do a different job...that can all be done with a really good knife and a few pots and pans.

The same applies to cleaning products. If you bought every specialized cleaning product they say you need, then you would need a small warehouse to store them all. Like 7 or 8 different products to clean a bathroom. No, actually that's just for the toilet. Give me a bottle of ammonia, and I'm good to go.
 slybandit
Msg: 67
Posted: 6/16/2010 7:25:30 AM
1. The U.S. Electoral College. I'd bet 95% of the U.S. citizens on here have NO idea whatsoever what it is, what it does, or why it still exists. The 5% who do, all think it should be abolished, but cannot keep the interest of the other 95% long enough to do it.

2. The motorized leaf blower. Large, expensive, gas guzzling device which accomplishes the task far less effectively than a rake.

3. The motorized leaf blower's bigger, dumber cousin, the sidewalk vacuum car. Yes, it's a little car that drives around with a huge vacuum tube on it, basically to pick up cigarette butts and other trash. Even larger, even more expensive, even more gas guzzling device that accomplishes the task far less effectively than a stick with a spike on the end of it.

4. Knitted 'cozies' placed over top of the roll of toilet paper. Because otherwise, you know, the toilet paper might get dirty.

5. Anything ever made by the Franklin Mint.
 jed456
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 6/16/2010 8:45:53 AM
Anything made by K-Tel.
 C2H5OH
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 6/23/2010 2:23:52 PM
The paper weight.
 chrono1985
Msg: 72
Posted: 11/27/2010 4:07:06 PM
Ya know, there is one type of no-spill fuel container I recently found at the local hardware store which absolutely rocks. Has a locking mechanism that let's ya pull the nozzle off and store it in the handle; the locking mechanism has a ingenious pressure release to keep the container at constant pressure which is important if you intend to store fuel for any considerable amount of time (like what most folk do for a push mower or week whacker), keeps the container from cracking/deforming under pressure.
 FoshFish
Msg: 73
Posted: 11/27/2010 5:14:47 PM
"I think the kitchen gadgets are the worse - fill a whole room with piles of stuff that each do a different job...that can all be done with a really good knife and a few pots and pans. "

Good post. I hate gadget-gadgets. Gadgets they make and manufacture and sell and copy and steal and nobody wants them, coz these derivatives have no inherent value of any sort. Some of these are:

iPod skins. Why? For protection? for decoration? for personal statement? iPods look most beautiful when naked, just like Chinese girls. You can drop an iPod from the second floor window of your house on cement, and it will survive the fall, no problem. Statement? I make my statements, that others usually don't like. Why multiply this horrible plight and scourge of society, my statements?

Extra USB cable. Everything comes with a usb cable. I give away every year to some non-despotic and non-terrorists fostering third world country 4.8 Kg (about 9 lbs) worth of USB cables through my local UNESCO drive. (Reminds me, I haven't got my latest UNESCO.dll... must be slipping.)

Women. Not one woman would talk to me any more, and those whose jobs involve talking to me, quit their jobs in three months. I think the world would be a better place without this stuck-up, pretty, vicious and mean gadget. It makes too much noise, too , if you ask me. Cats are nicer, cooler, and most importantly, very quiet if you castrate them first. Mm-mm. My kind of animals.

Anti-gravity lotion. I actually enjoy my gravity; it keeps me grounded, and it provides me with a solid ground to base my arguments on.

The international postal system. I haven't got or sent a letter in the mail in seven years. The postal boxes take up too much room in the environment, they are ugly and the postal workers are now exploited, they can't go on strikes any more, coz they lost their clout as workers of a very important utility. Solidarnyoshch, Brothers!!

God. They say the more function a gadget does, the less well it does each of its functions. Take a knife, which cuts a straight line, and take a gadget available for six easy payments of $49.99 plus taxes, postage and handling, duty, wux, vax, tax, and of course the price of the item. God is the ultimate such gadget. Ye just have to ask, and ye shall be given. You can ask for anything, absolutely anything. It's an infinity-purpose gadget. Except nothing has been given to anyone in at least five hundred years despite the askings going up in number, quality and value. I think God needs a good lube and oil, or have its levels and suspension checked. Suspension by, or else of, the faith of His followers.
 FoshFish
Msg: 75
Posted: 11/27/2010 5:46:10 PM
Cursors on other people's computers.

Corsettes. If you have to wear one, the entire thing is skewered.
 chrono1985
Msg: 78
Posted: 11/27/2010 11:16:53 PM

Women. Not one woman would talk to me any more, and those whose jobs involve talking to me, quit their jobs in three months. I think the world would be a better place without this stuck-up, pretty, vicious and mean gadget. It makes too much noise, too , if you ask me.

Perhaps your troubles begin with thinking about women as gadgets, and/or you're limiting yourself in life??

I would like to refer to the wise sage Tucker of Red vs Blue.

Women are like Voltron, the more you hook up the better it gets.
 mateo45
Msg: 79
view profile
History
Posted: 11/28/2010 10:51:04 AM
So the question i ask is...What do you deem as a useless/pointless invention??

The Japanese are positively obsessed with these kinda things, which they call "Chindogu".

This includes (real) gadgets like a Rolling Watermelon-Cooler, a Talking Cat Alarm Clock (with Fragrance), chopsticks-mounted fans (to cool your noodles), and a "Daddy Nurser"- a harness featuring "strategically-placed" nippled milk containers ("letting Dad experience the joys of motherhood")!
 hemanmachostudlovegod
Msg: 81
Posted: 12/12/2010 9:43:38 PM
Language tops my list of useless inventions. It causes endless confusion and serves no good purpose. At its best, all it does is state the obvious. At its worst, extracts from context snippets of past things said, assembling them into indictments presenting impossible choices. People abuse this faculty more than any other. They lie. They pander. They bamboozle. They imagine a glorious divine perfection of peaceful humanity and kill one another disagreeing over the details, on a large scale, and bedevil each other arguing over the proper way to conduct the business of domestic harmony, on a small scale. Language interrupts experience. It imposes illusions. You can't get half way through the day without an idea, a comment or question stopping you in your tracks. At night to escape it we slink into bed and shut our eyes begging sleep for mercy. Even then, as children we are hounded with lullabies into slumber's refuge, as adults, our own last thoughts. As insult added to injury, there on your tombstone will be your life summed up; the dates you lived, one last smarmy phrase.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 85
Posted: 12/30/2010 5:56:02 AM
I hate self flush toilets.
 EJA58
Msg: 86
Posted: 1/27/2011 10:24:33 PM
The 'Lie Detector'. It does not detect lies. It detects nervousness, and assumes it to be due to lieing.
 Booyahhh
Msg: 88
Posted: 1/31/2011 8:29:41 AM
Without a doubt...loud, accelerated booming bass in car or home stereos. It has no redeeming purpose whatsoever. It causes stress, aggression, and hearing loss.
 Kelso
Msg: 89
view profile
History
Posted: 2/9/2011 4:36:48 PM
A website that lets you know where your "flush" goes. I'm not kidding. It's only available in select locations at present, but I'm sure looking forward to having my city added real soon. Not.

http://www.flushtracker.com/
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 91
Posted: 2/11/2011 7:33:42 PM

the silent "k"

The silent "k" was not silent during the Old English/Anglo Saxon period. Blame the fear of paradigm shifts in spelling for this one.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 93
view profile
History
Posted: 2/12/2011 1:35:07 PM
Not quite a worthless invention, but my most hated ASPECT of an invention:
I'd like to find the cabal of nitwits who decided that ALL cell phones should be shaped like a bar of soap, and have them stand against a wall where those of us who therefore DROP the damm things all the time, can pitch them at them as hard as we can.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >