Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 hemanmachostudlovegod
Msg: 81
What do you deem as a useless/pointless invention?Page 5 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
Language tops my list of useless inventions. It causes endless confusion and serves no good purpose. At its best, all it does is state the obvious. At its worst, extracts from context snippets of past things said, assembling them into indictments presenting impossible choices. People abuse this faculty more than any other. They lie. They pander. They bamboozle. They imagine a glorious divine perfection of peaceful humanity and kill one another disagreeing over the details, on a large scale, and bedevil each other arguing over the proper way to conduct the business of domestic harmony, on a small scale. Language interrupts experience. It imposes illusions. You can't get half way through the day without an idea, a comment or question stopping you in your tracks. At night to escape it we slink into bed and shut our eyes begging sleep for mercy. Even then, as children we are hounded with lullabies into slumber's refuge, as adults, our own last thoughts. As insult added to injury, there on your tombstone will be your life summed up; the dates you lived, one last smarmy phrase.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 85
What do you deem as a useless/pointless invention?
Posted: 12/30/2010 5:56:02 AM
I hate self flush toilets.
 EJA58
Msg: 86
Posted: 1/27/2011 10:24:33 PM
The 'Lie Detector'. It does not detect lies. It detects nervousness, and assumes it to be due to lieing.
 Booyahhh
Msg: 88
Posted: 1/31/2011 8:29:41 AM
Without a doubt...loud, accelerated booming bass in car or home stereos. It has no redeeming purpose whatsoever. It causes stress, aggression, and hearing loss.
 Kelso
Msg: 89
view profile
History
Posted: 2/9/2011 4:36:48 PM
A website that lets you know where your "flush" goes. I'm not kidding. It's only available in select locations at present, but I'm sure looking forward to having my city added real soon. Not.

http://www.flushtracker.com/
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 91
Posted: 2/11/2011 7:33:42 PM

the silent "k"

The silent "k" was not silent during the Old English/Anglo Saxon period. Blame the fear of paradigm shifts in spelling for this one.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 93
view profile
History
Posted: 2/12/2011 1:35:07 PM
Not quite a worthless invention, but my most hated ASPECT of an invention:
I'd like to find the cabal of nitwits who decided that ALL cell phones should be shaped like a bar of soap, and have them stand against a wall where those of us who therefore DROP the damm things all the time, can pitch them at them as hard as we can.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >