Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > their last relationship was with someone who was married...deal break      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 26
view profile
History
their last relationship was with someone who was married...deal breaker?Page 4 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
funtalkonly: Your rather lengthy description seems to say you "did NOT have sex with that woman," but you feel guilty enough about it anyway that you are talking about it in the context of cheating. The fact that you feel THAT guilty makes wonder if there really was more to it that you decribe, perhaps you CONSIDERED following up with her and having an afair. If all that happened was that you were propositioned and said no, then functionally, nothing happened. So why the need to ask who is to blame?
I still think that it IS clear cut, either someone knowingly has relations with someone outside their agreed relationship or not. It's just like stealing, or any other sort of crime: the amount of TEMPTATION has nothing to do with whether or not you DID it.
 scottey63
Msg: 27
view profile
History
their last relationship was with someone who was married...deal breaker?
Posted: 4/5/2010 10:15:43 AM

Who's saying "Whatever" or "No big deal"? Those of us say it's not an automatic dealbreaker just don't set ourselves up as judge, jury & executioner over others without knowing the details. I'd find someone with the kind of unyielding judgmental dogmatism expressed in some of the replies here more intrinsically offputting than someone who'd been involved in another person's extramarital activities.

The only "details" that would have any bearing on the situation would be whether or not they knew the other person was married, and once they found out, if they stayed in that relationship.

It would be a dealbreaker for me if someone was knowingly involved with a married person.
 ColonelIngus
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2010 10:59:44 AM
Cool!!

Is this the thread where everyone gets to posture about how much better they are than all those other people who aren't as good as them?

Aren't super-heroes supposed to be out fighting crime, or something?
 kailania
Msg: 29
Posted: 4/6/2010 12:28:22 AM
cheating is a mistake?
no...it is a concious choice...
unless one person did not know the other was involved..
that person was lied to by the cheater.

it is also a choice as to whether or not one wants to get involved with a person who has a history of cheating.
i tend to agree...maybe..that if a person cheated once (one TIME..not one affair that lasted long) ...regretted it..
and never did it again
that is different from a habitual cheater.
although..even one time is one time too many IMO
the pain that cheating puts out is immense..

i cannot relate to people who continue to cheat...and have little problems with doing so.
how do they look at themselves every day and feel good inside?
cheating is cheating even if no one Ever finds out.
 GotAHubCapDiamondStarHalo
Msg: 30
Posted: 4/6/2010 8:47:17 AM
Come on, ferruginous ... Of course it can be an accident! I recall an EX BF telling me how his cheating "just happened." I replied that I could understand how, on a lovely breezy spring afternoon, he was indulging in a casual stroll allong the banks of the beautiful South Platte River. The day was so full of stimulating scents and sensations, he couldn't help but get a full erection. At the same time, approaching from the opposite direction, came the loveliest of lasses, wearing a sun dress with no panties. Unfortunately, she tripped and slid on the walking path ... Ending up under my BF, with her diaphanous dress caught up around her waist, her legs akimbo, and knocked him down. His pants split at the seam allowing his rod to emerge. Luckily, he was able to catch himself on his hands and knees, but unfortunately, not before the tip of his penis had entered the delectable woman beneath him. To avoid any awkwardness, it only seemed appropriate to bring the act to it's climactic conclusion. That is the least he could do by way of showing his remorse for nearly crushing her. It was the gentlemanly thing to do, after all.

I must assume this is exactly the manner in which his indiscretion was initiated, since, when I proffered the explanation, he looked at me with a shocked and slack-jawed expression with no denials. Obviously, I was on the money!
 GotAHubCapDiamondStarHalo
Msg: 31
Posted: 4/6/2010 9:19:40 AM
Jayzus - we're not talking about separated people, Dave, or the Marriott bartender who had a one night stand with a traveling business-man who removed his ring. Some people will go to great lengths to rationalize Abhorrent or socially repugnant behavior.

I saw Joslyn James on TV opining that she thought it was too soon to return to golfing and that Tiger should "be with his family." OMG!! Wonder if that was where she thought he should be while she was riding his pony!! Love how the cheaters can suddenly impose their high ground morality on others. Haha! Guess she doesn't like to be out of the spotlight, so she will say the most absurd things to get attention.

Cheaters who feel they can provide mitigating circumstances to justify their behavior should hire Gloria Allred to represent them so that they get a fair shake in the court of on-line dating!
 sweetest
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 4/6/2010 10:07:52 AM
Cheating is based on one thing that we all have in common and that is lying. There isn't a soul out there who can't share in the simple fact that we all tell lies; and if you beg to differ, that you never do...then, you're lying.

This thread and argument seems more about attaching condemnation and guilt with cheating behavior...on some sort of sliding scale on a big integrity meter.

Why is that? I think it's because of the associated hurt that comes with cheating. But there's usually hurt attached to all forms of lying.

For all you suggesting that you can't understand anyone doing something so morally reprehensible, consider the fact that everyone lies...welcome to the club.

Yes, cheating is crappy all around,but so is lying in general and there's a ton of reasons for people to do both, but I suspect a lot has to do with making oneself feel better somehow...

You're introducing foreknowledge & prior intent into the proposition.

Consider the following:

How does the 'cheating lie' match up against those told by people who lie and under report income?
How does the 'cheating lie' match up against those who pass off personal expense as a business expense?
How does the 'cheating lie' match up against those who are home today on taking a 'sick' day when they're not sick?
How does the 'cheating lie' match up against those who lie about who they know, where they were, what they do, what skills they have, how long they've doing it and a whole lot of other things people are routinely asked about?

Do some of you want an award and recognition specifically because you've not personally not dipped into the cheating lie???

Are there echelons or levels to aspire to on the path of morally reprehensible behavior?

People lie. It's too bad it happens. It opens doors for some, provides opportunity for others and yes, it's not fair and not right...but neither is the above. The one thing lying is, is endemic.

There's reportedly anywhere from 40 - 50% of adults walking around out there who are living the 'cheating lie'. That means there's a very good chance you know a good number of these people and no, they aren't the scum you'd believe, unless you consider the people you routinely hang around with and meet like your friends, neighbors, your extended family members, your boss, and colleagues to be that. It's these types of people that are committing these types of lies...and they are just everyday folk--forget the hype around celebrity, these are people you know and love and they are all around you.

The inability to separate failings in people as that and to extend consideration beyond that, is what really irks me about threads like these, especially because people who screw up are not scum...they are just people..caught in a lie.

Is there one person reading this who hasn't told a lie? Not possible. Condemning people for making poor decisions...and parsing words because 'it is a choice that they are doing' to lie to cheat, yes, it's a choice; but no less of a willful choice than the 'choice' that some of you do with serious intent to lie about your taxable income and other white collar crime.

That 'lie' too shows a lack of integrity. Not paying your fair share does end up hurting someone...you just don't know who/what/when. With the cheating lie, there is a face attached; because of that it seems to make the lie worse, but it's still a lie too. I don't condone cheating, and I really do try not to tell lies. I can't do better than strive to live with as much integrity as I can everyday, and that means to try to see things from the other side---that's the best I can do; and gosh, I'd really like to think that most of us think like that too. Walking around with this holier-than-thou burden must be really be awfully tiresome for some of you out there, I know that it would be for me. jmo.
 myblueshadow
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 4/6/2010 11:36:29 AM
Very well stated, sweetest. Completely agree.

For me, the deal breaker would be the attitude about the behavior. If they justify it or condone it in some way, that would be a problem. But if they learned from the poor choice, and are striving to be a better person, not a deal breaker. People sometimes make bad choices. We've all done things we aren't proud of, but we learn from that and move on.
 Helen0426
Msg: 34
Posted: 4/6/2010 1:52:15 PM
It'd be a deal-breaker for me - unless they didn't know the other party was married and did break it off immediately upon finding out.

I've never done this. I don't think other people who have never done this are at all rare or hard to find.

Age makes a difference, too, though. For me, this question means, since the premise is that it was the other party's last relationship, that this was a deliberate choice by an individual with sufficient interpersonal experience to know one's own mind. I mean, if that doesn't apply by my age, that's a deal-breaker all by itself...

However, were it something that came up with someone much younger, I think it'd be appropriate to question whether or not they might have been manipulated - probably by an older person - before making a definite decision on how to respond. And to ask how they feel about it now.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 35
Posted: 4/6/2010 3:32:03 PM
In my life I've known three men whose wives virtually ended their marriages: lack of caring, communication, sex. They were all booted from the bedroom, and sleeping on the couch or in the guest bedroom. All tried marriage counseling. One is still with the "wife"; one simply left after the children were gone; the other found another woman, lived with her for a year and divorced the so called wife. All were/are amazing men: tender, bright, caring of families, friends, and strangers. None of them in my estimation deserved what they were/are getting. So no, I wouldn't blame any woman who got involved with any of them, regardless of the state's view on whether the marriage was over or not.

I *have* known one woman in my lifetime who only got involved with married/taken men. If they were free, she wasn't interested. So, no, she's not a part of my life any longer.

As humans, who make mistakes ourselves, I think the least we owe each other is to listen to their story. If it doesn't make sense, don't go further. But to dismiss, upfront, and prior to knowing? Not me.

cinsav
Msg: 36
Posted: 6/20/2010 11:15:01 AM

So lets say you are dating someone and find out that their in last relationship they were the mistress or man-toy(??) of someone who was married.

It would depend on the person.

Depends on how hot she is!
Posted: 6/23/2010 8:28:41 PM
Huge deal breaker, IMO. Shows lack respect for boundaries and poor judgement.
 naysaying_knicktwist
Msg: 38
Posted: 6/24/2010 2:28:59 AM

...I recall an EX BF telling me how his cheating "just happened." I replied that I could understand how, on a lovely breezy spring afternoon, he was indulging in a casual stroll allong the banks of the beautiful South Platte River. The day was so full of stimulating scents and sensations, he couldn't help but get a full erection. At the same time, approaching from the opposite direction, came the loveliest of lasses, wearing a sun dress with no panties. Unfortunately, she tripped and slid on the walking path ... Ending up under my BF, with her diaphanous dress caught up around her waist, her legs akimbo, and knocked him down. His pants split at the seam allowing his rod to emerge. Luckily, he was able to catch himself on his hands and knees, but unfortunately, not before the tip of his penis had entered the delectable woman beneath him. To avoid any awkwardness, it only seemed appropriate to bring the act to it's climactic conclusion. That is the least he could do by way of showing his remorse for nearly crushing her. It was the gentlemanly thing to do, after all.

I must assume this is exactly the manner in which his indiscretion was initiated, since, when I proffered the explanation, he looked at me with a shocked and slack-jawed expression with no denials. Obviously, I was on the money!

Fire Crotch, I lol'd (literally) at this til I cried, repeating 'Oh mercy, oh MER-cy' out loud as I read it. Thank you so much for the laugh - great writing. Her legs AKIMBO, yet. A-freaking-KIMBO - baha.
 sweetlikesugarcane
Msg: 39
Posted: 6/24/2010 6:13:11 PM
I am so happy that most people think it is a deal-breaker. Restores some of my faith in humanity....

And, if you didn't the know that the person was married it doesn't count. Personally, I don't understand how women sleep with men that they barely know but it happens so I guess if he lied about his status then it isn't the girl's fault. Tons of married (e.g. separated) men on POF will list their status as "single."

(Obviously I'm just using one gender scenario but it applies to both).
 UwillLaff
Msg: 40
Posted: 6/26/2010 10:28:00 AM

If they got out as soon as they found out they were with a married person then it would not be a deal breaker.
If they did it knowingly or stayed anyways then it would most definitely be a deal breaker.[/quote}

That ^
with the possible exception they were young, and it was 20-30 years ago-
 sarniafairyboy
Msg: 41
Posted: 6/26/2010 10:35:27 AM

Stuff happens, and people wind up in all sorts of messy situations that they didn't plan. I'm not for breaking up marriages or any other relationship or being anyone's bit on the side, but people can't always control who they fall in love with.

excuses, excuses, rationalization

you can control who you spend private time with and avoid spending it with someone you know is married, because you know things CAN happen when you spend time with someone -like- fall in love

"It just happened" . - LAMEST excuse of all time - because you were looking for 'it' to happen, it's not like you slipped on a newly-waxed floor and you dikk fell into her vagina..or for a woman she slipped an her vagina ended up surrounding his dikk, etc.

or fall in lust.

or fall in love with their money, or their fame, or..connections, or power

with the example given by the OP, you are not suggesting that all or any of Tiger Woods' 14 + (or more) 'mistresses' "fell in love" with him , are you?

they might have liked his money, fame, athleticism -perhaps he's a Tiger in bed, who knows?

but 'love"??

I doubt it. I also doubt it for the vast majority of extra-marital affairs, adultery or fornication (doing it with some married to someone else)
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > their last relationship was with someone who was married...deal breaker?