Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Tealwood
Msg: 216
Canada child support law for non-bio parents: different points of viewPage 10 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)

I only researched the case provided by Tealwood.
But it's an excellent remark. Seems like Tealwood was quoting a case from New Jersey to attempt to argue with me about Canadian law. I should have seen this! Good point.

I actually was responding to someone who suggested...

In the US, this is not an issue

I erroneously figured that the geography lessons in Quebec would have given one the understanding that NJ was not a Canadian Provincial court...clearly identified or Utah or even Michigan....all US based courts that have seen step parents being required to pay child support for children not biologically their own...

But i did get home late from doing duties for the children...so I will have fun later in the week.

Christensen v. Christensen
In the 1991 case of JWP v. WW 255 NJS 1

Miller v. Miller, 97 N.J.

CS.....no Canadian Provinces are identified as N.J.

http://www.saskschools.ca/~gregory/canada/facts.html
 Silverhawk_tkn
Msg: 217
view profile
History
Canada child support law for non-bio parents: different points of view
Posted: 2/16/2012 12:43:59 PM
Yea, this is a very informational thread and these laws are certainly starting to mold society and relationships in general.

Governments and the legal system here in Canada have put forth legistlation that will ensure:

A). The government will do everything possible to ensure children of split or single parents are NOT the financial responsibility of the Government (even if that means legislation is not fair and equitable to both parties).

B). That the legal system uses this legislation as a revenue generation mechanism for the legal industry.

In my opinion, these laws go well beyond the best interests of the child and embed themselves in the very fabric of society.

It is for these kinds of laws that I do NOT consider living with my long term GF because she has kids that are under 18. The risk is simply too great. I've worked too hard to overcome the financial hit I took with my first divorce, and I simply cannot afford to endure a situation where I may have to pay again if something should go sideways with my current relationship.

Honestly, I think awareness of these kinds of laws should be brought up to anyone considering marriage or living together. I think people would certainly think twice about co-habitation if they knew what they might be in for should a relationship not work out.........
 MisterRiiight
Msg: 218
view profile
History
Canada child support law for non-bio parents: different points of view
Posted: 2/16/2012 10:25:58 PM
Since I am looking for a long-term relationship possibly leading to marriage, these laws make any woman with a child under 18 years old undateable in my book. Just another case of unintended consequences.
Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  >