Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Hands of gold
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Canada child support law for non-bio parents: different points of viewPage 3 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
I have a close friend that is a prime example of the situation the OP has presented. He was in a common law living arrangement with his girl-friend for about four years. She had a daughter from a previous marriage, that was around 11 when he moved in. She was receiving Child support from the bio-dad to0, the paltry sum of $100 and month, that they had negotiated and agreed upon years earlier. The Mom made a point of saying that she didn't want to punish the dad, because she was the one who wanted out of the relationship.

Fast forward to the end of my friend's common law relationship with the woman, which she initiated for her personal reasons. She lawyered up and was demanding CS, among other support and claims (he got royally screwed). He ended up paying 4 times the CS that Bio dad was paying. In the end, my friend agreed to the terms because he wanted what was best for the daughter, but in the end was not allowed to see her because it was too "complicated" for his ex-girlfriend. But she kept cashing his uncomplicated cheques. Luckily for him, the daughter was close enough to age 18, and his payments ended after a few years.

In Canada, it comes down to what is negotiated, and things don't always reach court to be decided. If two parties can agree before then, it will almost always work out better for the father. Lawyers are not stupid either. They know that the more work they do, the more they are paid. So they start negotiations at unreasonable points, so that they can write and send many proposals back and forth. Reasonable women (and men) can see what is fair, and begin the negotiations near the fair compromise. Unreasonable ones go for the most they can, and almost always end up with acrimonious divorces that are never over, but always being challenged in court.

In my own divorce, I had my two kids 100% for the first couple of years while my ex got her act together. She paid no child support or extra curricular costs at all during that time. We decided to share custody more, and my youngest went to her place a few nights a week, while my oldest chose to just stay with me. I was shocked to get a letter requiring me to pay her child support, based on her 40% custody of one child. It turns out that since I made more money than her, the calculations end up in her favour. I was appalled at this request, but when I talked to my lawyer, he said it was legitimate. The fact that she was a lousy mom, who didn't do anything to support the kids activities, attending included, doesn't compute in the calculation. Our separation agreement went through some reworking, and she was required to pay for her share of the extra-curricular activities based on her wage (of which a portion was under the table - cash- that I could not get factored in because she didn't record it on her tax return.) It ended up that we broke even, and I wouldn't have to provide her a cheque at then end of the month. To summarize, I was doing 80% of the custody, paying all the extra curricular costs, and this was considered a wash in the eyes of the law.

The real factor here was that I made more money than her, and to the courts, that is the mitigating circumstance. Unemployed dads (or moms) aren't required to pay child support because they have no money. Employed people pay more and more because they can. The system sometimes punishes those who are hard working, and protects those who don't. What was ignored in my case was the value of the parenting that was going on. Gender didn't really have a role.
 ChocolateNutt
Msg: 68
Canada child support law for non-bio parents: different points of view
Posted: 4/11/2010 12:23:50 PM
Tealwood, I think their point was that we all have to struggle and fight to receive our rights. Those quotes you offered are all recent. Women didn't start out with rights or grants or any other type of fortune, in fact quite the opposite. Remember the first suffragettes were often jailed for speaking out in public. If a marriage failed, the man kept the children and the woman was tossed out on her ear with nothing. Things have gone to the opposite extreme now. We need to come to some middle ground of reasonability.

Nutt
 kissmyasthma
Msg: 69
Posted: 4/11/2010 12:47:53 PM
Actually men are screwed either way. If your cs is channeled through a gov collection agency they cannot change the monthly amount until a court dictates they do. So if a man feels that he can still make and opts not to go to court and falls behind the arrears builds up.

There is nothing wrong with hard work and paying cs, it is when those numbers don't reflect the time or allow for father to get 50 50 custody. Appalling that a court would award an ncp cs regardless.
There are many ladies here that boast that they earned or earn more than their deadbeat ex's but I'll bet you everything I own that not one of them is collecting cs from the woman regardless of percentage.
That would be an outrage!!!!! What about what is best for the children!!!! (sarcasm -lol)

Trust me as men unless we fund it ourselves there will be no lobby group.
And based on the reply letters I get from the politicians I write to that they will not commit political suicide by touching this or any other issue that would jeopardize votes from females.

As far as the judges themselves go, they pursue seats in family courts because they tend to have a personal agenda to be there and the ones who get stuck there tend to just go with the flow. Although an incident occurred to me during one of my trips to 393 University Ave. ( Superior Court - Toronto).
I was waiting for a session with the duty council and made a quick trip to the boys room and came upon a judge who was standing at the urinal with his head against the wall crying as he was relieving himself. At first I thought - pretty strange but it wasn't until months later that it made sense. He was being interviewed on Global news about a book he authored about family court and how devastating it was to rule over these cases and decided to help by giving some real advice about how to prepare and approach your impending separation.
He was noticeably gay (not to say that there is anything wrong with that or that real men don't cry) and I guess he was more in touch with his feminine side then the majority of female judges I've had the (dis)pleasure to meet.

My experiences with family law is that of a pool of sharks and men are the chum that start the feeding frenzy for money.
 My I
Msg: 70
Posted: 4/11/2010 1:40:04 PM

She was receiving Child support from the bio-dad to0, the paltry sum of $100 and month.......The Mom made a point of saying that she didn't want to punish the dad, because she was the one who wanted out of the relationship

Ironically, in her 2nd relationship:

Fast forward to the end........which she initiated for her personal reasons....He ended up paying 4 times the CS that Bio dad was paying.

^^It's this kind of stuff that has to stop.
If a woman is not accountable for the child's financial welfare by having pitty on the bio-father, she should not have the right or expectation for someone to be more responsible for a child she voluntarily neglected, financially speaking, in the past.

I don't care how sweet a woman claims she is. If she's not collecting the recognized, standard support from the ex, she's off-limits as far as I am concerned.

RED FLAG!
 lynaudio
Msg: 71
Posted: 4/11/2010 3:55:51 PM

Subsection 1 covers women as "disadvantaged" group.

Did I miss it? I didn't see the word "WOMEN" in either section one or two.

Maybe your reading skills and your attitude are related.
 kissmyasthma
Msg: 72
Posted: 4/11/2010 4:39:38 PM
I guess maybe we could edamicate ya on that one lynn.

Why would our charter of "human " rights have the need to state that it if fact applies to sex? Are we not all human? Seeing as how you "women" were once considered non citizens at one point the statement as read ensures that your rights are in fact recognized.

Do you feel like a second class citizen that is need of an insurance of rights?
Perhaps maybe you're reference about comprehension and attitude was a self realization. Pretty sure there must be a government funded help group for that.
 lynaudio
Msg: 74
Posted: 4/11/2010 5:31:26 PM
Yes erasersedge, there was a time when women were disadvantaged, but my mother's generation fought that battle. Now we are equal.

Maybe the reason it was written without referencing a particular gender, was with the hope that some day we would all accept gender equality.

Dare to dream.
 Capitano_Blaugh
Msg: 76
Posted: 4/11/2010 5:37:09 PM
To claim that "woman are given more rights" under the law as "blanket" claim is ridiculous.

Fair enough... I suppose I should have phrased it as "Women's rights are more diligently protected than are those of men"....

And, thanks for clarifying and pointing out why it's important to maintain the preception of "women as victims" in order that they can continue to benefit from affirmative actions.

My I
Msg: 77
Posted: 4/11/2010 10:22:37 PM

So let me get this right a woman who collects no child support is a threat? A woman who isn't dependent on her ex for cs is a red flag?

Threat? Absolutely not.
But, given the vast amount of non-bio fathers who are paying more child support and alimony than the bio father, just because the mother "chose not to" pursue the money, is a red flag. These moms usually learn the second time around not to be so nice and understanding...... and guess who pays?

How is it financially neglecting your child if you don't go after your ex for CS when you pay for everything on your own?

If that's the case, that surplus (child support you turn your back on), should be invested for the child's future (education, house, etc). Why women don't do that for the children is beyond me.... that's not looking after the child's best interest.

My daughter is not being neglected financially just means I have to do more because she is my responsibility and I need to make sure that she doesn't go without.

You wouldn't have to "do more" if you had the support payments, would you? Your absence is an emotional vacancy - I guess that's different because that's what you prefer.
If you're turning your back on money for your child then yes, she is being neglected... be it in the short term or in the long term. Either way, that's financial neglect.

In most cases where I've heard women not pursue support from the bio-father, it usually boils down to fear. When the non-bio father is involved in the next relationship(s), it becomes anger.

There may be a few (very few) exceptions.
 ChocolateNutt
Msg: 81
Posted: 4/12/2010 6:18:14 PM
My I: Your entire message 88 is a load of baloney

In most cases where I've heard women not pursue support from the bio-father, it usually boils down to fear. When the non-bio father is involved in the next relationship(s), it becomes anger.

I clearly indicated the reason I didn't pursue support was out of respect for the father's decision not to be a parent. I'm not angry, and I didn't

learn the second time around not to be so nice and understanding...... and guess who pays?

I also made it clear in my posts that my last serious relationship did not result in suing him for child support for MY child, and that I did make every effort for him to continue a relationship with her. I don't believe I'm the only person out there who has reasonable values.

I guess that's different because that's what you prefer.
If you're turning your back on money for your child then yes, she is being neglected... be it in the short term or in the long term

If that's the case, that surplus (child support you turn your back on), should be invested for the child's future (education, house, etc). Why women don't do that for the children is beyond me.... that's not looking after the child's best interest.

I'm sick and tired of hearing that it's in any child's best interests for the parents to be giving children a free ride for the rest of the child's life. CHILDREN should be paying for their educations and their homes because THAT'S what's in their best interest. My parents were poor (and I had TWO not one), and they sure didn't help with my education, we didn't have any fancy trips to Disneyland or anywhere else growing up. You know what resulted of that? I'm a responsible adult of my own without mommy and daddy looking after me in my twenties and thirties!

Half the problem with kids these days is that mommy and daddy overdo everything giving the children luxuries that they should have to earn rather than get handed on a platter! I'm sure you watch the reality shows about the rich and famous and note how the majority of their children are suffering from having too much, but here you are advocating for the same thing!

Nutt
 ohwhynot46
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Posted: 4/12/2010 6:23:57 PM
It does seem wrong to force someone who is not a parent to pay to support someone else's child. The only issues here that bother me are the assumption that that is what a single woman with a child is looking for, and I have read that attitude from the same posters, over & over, about women the world over. Perhaps your pickers are defective, because a user is a user, and was likely a user prior to giving birth. Further, there is many a man who, having loved the children borne by his lover to another, continues to care for them, financially & otherwise, despite legality.

I have no knowledge of how those laws in Canada came into effect, but as far as making things equal & mens rights, well, the truth is that it hasn't, historically speaking, been a very long time at all since women had rights. Change doesn't come overnight, and it comes in small steps. Women still earn about 25% less than men, but that is, relatively speaking, an "accomplishment" for women. We can't really talk about equal rights until things are equal, can we?

In any case, vehement statements against either gender are not conducive to change, and vehement statements, broad generalizations & characterizations are indicative of much of what I am reading here. Kinda sad.
 ChocolateNutt
Msg: 84
Posted: 4/12/2010 6:31:56 PM
ohwhynot: just a couple things

I wonder if, perhaps, the law has something to do with cases where the non-bio parent has assumed responsibility for a child, leaving the bio parent free, and then that second relationship didn't work out, leaving mom up the proverbial river. It may have been intended to ensure that SOMEONE would be helping with the child's welfare.

Also, I wanted to comment additionally that I don't think it's unreasonable for a non-bio parent to be expected to pay child support in certain situations (I've already been clear that it's not reasonable for two men or to women to be paying support for the same child). If the bio parent is not involved and the stepparent (even without adoption) has accepted being a parent, then why wouldn't he/she be expected to continue being a parent. Do you stop loving that child when you walk out the door? I don't consider that "love" if it's so fairweather.

Adopted parents aren't biological, but they are considered legal parents. Should they be able to walk out the door and say "wasn't my sperm"? "wasn't my ovum"?

I think if you've assumed, accepted, enjoyed being a parent, you should consider that a lifetime commitment.

Nutt
 ohwhynot46
Msg: 87
view profile
History
Posted: 4/12/2010 6:53:32 PM
I agree with you, CS (as I often do, at least to a point! ), but, really, the emotional needs of a child of any age aren't addressed by cs payments. Are men in Canada given visitation rights to these non biological children they support? If I may say so, those who look no further than the $$ tend to do so whether the child is theirs biologically or not, and will always find reasons to justify it, always entailing blame on the other party.

Once again, I am not knowledgeable on Canadian law, but it would seem that the application of income percentage, in totality (biological parent + "real" parent) would not seem unfair in many cases, and would prevent the "windfall" of the single mom, even though I am highly suspicious that there is a plethora of single parents, anywhere in the world, attaining financial gains from having a child . On the other hand, I acknowledge and even understand the reluctance of someone to get involved with a single parent. Then again, equating every relationship to $$ could logically result in all of us remaining uninvolved forever, children aside. The simple fact that we are here would seem to prove that that is not the case for most of us.

Bottom line, we agree, more research is necessary, although not likely productive, as most won't tell the truth, in order to keep the almighty dollar.
 ItsMargo
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Posted: 4/12/2010 7:21:20 PM

This would be reasonable. On the other hand, I already asked here on this thread: can a step parent legally adopt a child even when the bio-dad is still alive and known? Can a child have 3 legal parents?

Nope, only two parents permitted on the birth certificate.

You can bump the bio-parent off in one of two ways: 1. they agree to it and give permission to have their name deleted to make way for the non-bio parent to adopt or 2. if they are not involved and can't be found, and you make attempts to find them and serve notice... after a period of time the courts can consent to have them removed from the birth certificate, clearing the way for adoption.
 My I
Msg: 89
Posted: 4/12/2010 7:39:47 PM

Once again, I am not knowledgeable on Canadian law, but it would seem that the application of income percentage, in totality (biological parent + "real" parent) would not seem unfair in many cases, and would prevent the "windfall" of the single mom, even though I am highly suspicious that there is a plethora of single parents, anywhere in the world, attaining financial gains from having a child

A few years ago there was a Canda Supreme COurt ruling that takes into account the "role" of the non-bio father relative to child support. The ruling stated that a non-bio parent is financially responsible if a certain criteria was matched. The criteria was so simple, so basic any child can be deemed a "child of the marriage" when speaking in terms of common-law or recognized marriage certificates.

What the law refuses to do, is to limit the number of ex's a woman can acquire support from. Apparently, dumping ex's for support payments has replaced the need to have many babies to get more welfare....... welfare isn't tax free in ontario. But support is.
 *MidniteBlue*
Msg: 90
Posted: 4/12/2010 8:12:23 PM
^^^^^ ** Gawd, that makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck, and I don't even have a penis. **
 ohwhynot46
Msg: 91
view profile
History
Posted: 4/12/2010 8:16:40 PM
I am curious, now... what is the criteria? and is the biological parent sought as a matter of law, as far as support, (akin to the US, where one can have their driver's license revoked for nonpayment)? Assuming my position in regards to a maximum amount is valid, why would the number of men involved matter? Yes, I realize that it does matter, but as a matter of $$, where the total remains the same. Would such a "cap" result in men dating only single moms who have been married, say, more than three times? Weird! As always, buyer beware!

Comment: if Canadian women dump their ex's merely for the support payments, that doesn't say much for the women of your country, who, I firmly believe, are as varied as the women from anywhere. Your assumption that this speaks to the replacement of the need to collect welfare speaks more to your personal experience & opinion than it does to the motivation to bear children. Collecting welfare is not a much sought after accomplishment for the majority, nor is raising a child on your own. I have never known anyone to get rich off of welfare, or cs, for that matter.
 lynaudio
Msg: 92
Posted: 4/12/2010 8:18:11 PM

welfare isn't tax free in ontario

How much money does the single parent of one child have to make before they have taxable income?
Canadian Tax (Provincial amounts tend to be a bit less, but only a bit)
Personal tax exemption $10,300
Equivalent to spousal exemption 10,300
Child amount 2,089
______
$ 22,689
divide by 12 months = $1890.75

I had no idea a single parent of one child collects that on social assistance. I guess it makes sense that no body wants to work any more.
 Arlo_Troutman
Msg: 97
Posted: 4/13/2010 4:24:30 PM
(TAKEN itsallinthesoul) Ok Jack, in fairness to you, you may not have realized that I don't deny the existence of a gender bias in the courts. If you could access all of my postings on this subject, you would see that I am fully aware that the bias exists.

Yes: I have to say, you're extremely fair-minded and balanced in your views.

That being said, it's very easy to tell others what they "should" do; quite another thing to face the same biases they do. The current situation that men face is only superficially similar to what vizmins, or women, ever faced. Men don't think like women, so stop telling us to ACT like women (WRT custody, CS, etc).

ETA: When women didn't have the right to vote, they ALSO didn't have the right to work (mostly), which translates into a lot of free time. Most men today are too busy working, to engage in all sorts of social activism (this is a bit of a sore point with me: people {often well-meaning women} will say that the Suffragettes did it in the 19th-early 20th century, so therefore, the EXACT SAME FORMULA will work today... ain't so).

Men have to face the reality that they have a fight to fight and accept that the only way to make change in society is to fight that fight.

Agreed: the changes, if any, will come from men (specifically, ONE man, or a small number of men) to jump on the grenade, take one for the team, etc etc.

Or, you can do what I, and a lot of other men are doing: NOT spend mega-bucks on a lawyer while living well below the poverty line, DON'T piss off the ex, and just wait till the kids are 18.

There's a METHOD to Jack's madness...

Is it easier to just accept that the bias exists and lay down....pay pay pay pay? I guess for some like Cap they answer is yes...

Cap, and me, and many other men. Look at what IS happening, rather than what the "ideal" would be.

Jack
 Capitano_Blaugh
Msg: 98
Posted: 4/13/2010 6:03:01 PM

What I said is that this non bio parent has MORE rights to this child that the bio dad should ever have, and that he should be entitled to legal rights to stay in the picture and continue to care for this kid - had he been fully invested in that kid's life in the first place of course - should the relationship with the other spouse fails.

I don't think you'll get any argument from anyone here with regards to the above.

Where you WILL get disagreement is that while a guy may WANT to keep emotionally invested in a kid's life, it's really messed up to be FORCED to pay for a kid who carries none of the genetic stuff of the FORCEE.

Being forced to do something that feels wrong can result in all sorts of less-than-desireable consequences. Perhaps someday, OP, YOU will be a parent, end up divorced and forced. I'm pretty sure your tune will change.

My I
Msg: 99
Posted: 4/13/2010 8:09:56 PM

My I: Your entire message 88 is a load of baloney

Let's look at your posts in this thread and compare baloney.
Your post in message#75:

It's just a shitty situation that parents become too selfish or obsessed with their own feelings that they can't see beyond that to the welfare of the child and make choices that reflect that.

Your post in message#92:

I clearly indicated the reason I didn't pursue support was out of respect for the father's decision not to be a parent.

The baloney starts when you mention selfishness regarding people in general. Yet, in your real life situation, you condone selfishness of the bio-father.... and yours as well, if you think about it.

I guess it's baloney vs bullshit

As far as this is concerned:

I'm sick and tired of hearing that it's in any child's best interests for the parents to be giving children a free ride for the rest of the child's life.

^^^ That's a pathetic view you have, in my opinion. The bio-father who shares responsibility for creating a child gets a free ride (your blessing) while the child who had nothing to do with being created is told "support your own life"

That's beyond baloney and bullshit.
 ohwhynot46
Msg: 101
view profile
History
Posted: 4/13/2010 8:25:26 PM

Or, you can do what I, and a lot of other men are doing: NOT spend mega-bucks on a lawyer while living well below the poverty line, DON'T piss off the ex, and just wait till the kids are 18.

The truth is lots of parents, not only men, do just as you state above. What we see here is a war between parents being made in to a war between the sexes. Fortunately, most of us are aware that this forum is not indicative of the real world. I know many, many people who are parents, not together and who do the right thing by their children. I have never known, nor have I known anyone personally who has improved their quality of life by dumping a partner & collecting CS. The selfishness that leads to what is being discussed here is not in any way shape or form gender based. Despite many of the comments & insinuations made here, women in possession of their faculties do NOT trick men into getting them pregnant to get rich; it ain't happening!

That having been said, it does seem unfair to charge someone who is not a parent with the financial obligation of a child. On the other hand, I can see some common sense to the argument. It is a difficult issue, at best, and honestly I find it hard to believe that such responsibility is put upon the majority of those who become involved with a single mom, even if the law allows for it. Is it prevalent? Really? (I am asking, not doubting).

Speaking of asking:

Where you WILL get disagreement is that while a guy may WANT to keep emotionally invested in a kid's life, it's really messed up to be FORCED to pay for a kid who carries none of the genetic stuff of the FORCEE.

Being forced to do something that feels wrong can result in all sorts of less-than-desireable consequences. Perhaps someday, OP, YOU will be a parent, end up divorced and forced. I'm pretty sure your tune will change.

Are you saying that if a man wants to be involved in the life of a child not their own, THEN they should be financially responsible? I am not the op, but I am a parent, and I am of the opinion that most single parents are forced, forced to deal with additional financial burdens, additional time constraints, etc., etc., but what has that got to do with this topic?
We could argue that it is just as unfair (perhaps more so) to FORCE a child to have to move, change schools, give up activities, time with their parent, etc., simply because the two people who agreed to give them all those things part ways, and one of those people (who, btw, knew what they were getting in to and unlike the child, had a choice) now has a choice to abandon them. As I said, my initial reaction was that Canada is strange (jk), but this is a thought provoking & difficult topic for any parent, regardless of gender. Of course, were it true that women who become involved with single parents were held to the same responsibility, we might find some of the men a little less vehement and a bit more understanding of both sides of the situation.
 Capitano_Blaugh
Msg: 102
Posted: 4/14/2010 7:18:17 AM

Are you saying that if a man wants to be involved in the life of a child not their own, THEN they should be financially responsible?

No, I'm saying leave the guy alone. Let HIM decide whether or not he wants to be involved in ANY way with a non-bio kid after a breakup. Being forced to do anything tends to piss people off.

I am not the op, but I am a parent, and I am of the opinion that most single parents are forced, forced to deal with additional financial burdens, additional time constraints, etc., etc., but what has that got to do with this topic?

Well, you are entitled to that opinion, but you'll need to support the statement that are forced to do anything. Many CHOOSE to be single parents and because of their CHOICES have to do what they can, difficult as life may be, but that is NOT the same as being forced by another party.

And, it has quite a bit to do with the topic, because in Canada a parent can FORCE another person to pay for a non-bio kid. One year of acting in loco parentis can mean being FORCED to pay Child Support until that kid is 25.

Capitano_Blaugh
Msg: 104
Posted: 4/14/2010 4:57:35 PM

The mother meets another man and that man becomes a step-father do the child -- ten years later, mother and step-father break up. Yes, the step-father should have access and be responsible for child support. He has been a father to the child -- not a biological father, but a step-father.

The problem I have with this attitude is that women are constantly screeching, " I AM NOT LOOKING FOR A FATHER FOR MY KIDS!"....

.... then, when they kick the guy to the curb, they want the guy to pay CS for a kid that isn't his.

Ah, perhaps Jason and his Argonauts learned to ignore the Sirens Song to which so many other men had fallen victim: " I AM NOT LOOKING FOR A FATHER FOR MY KIDS! La-la-la. I DON'T WANT OR NEED A MAN'S MONEY! I DON'T NEED A MAN FOR ANYTHING! La-LAAAAAaaaaa-la!"......

Tealwood
Msg: 105
Posted: 4/14/2010 7:46:42 PM

So, if a woman has a baby and the father of the baby is nowhere to be seen, then he has abandoned his child. The mother meets another man and that man becomes a step-father do the child -- ten years later, mother and step-father break up. Yes, the step-father should have access and be responsible for child support. He has been a father to the child -- not a biological father, but a step-father.

So what ever happened to the wail...i am not looking for a father for my child?

It is gone...the moment the relationship fails...and suddenly.....the loco parentis arguement sets in and how much can she derive in support...and where is the requirement for paying for your own choices?

I agree w/ you. Even though my daughter does not have a father in her life I am not out there looking for one for her. I am looking for someone to talk to and have a good time w/.

Only in Canada you say?http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts1081227.aspx
Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  >