Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 late™
Msg: 23
why are so many not religious when...Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I use the "declaration of religious beliefs" as a weeding out process and so I find it very, very deceitful when theistic people state they are "non-religious" when in fact that are.

My dear friend, I agree. To the point that because of a small recognizance of "belief" in a greater good, I use "other". (for those who haven't availed yourselves of the post I'm replying to, please do so, it's the last post on the previous page by - "cotter", and really presses the point home).

...about honesty.
(which in my life, is a BIG priority)

I think like Edisto that when one sees that one isn't religious, one doesn't expect one to believe in God or be particularly spiritual.

I respect that people have the conviction to be honest about their beliefs (or things they don't believe in), no matter what they are. "Honest" being the key factor in earning respect and admiration and the consistency that commands it, and ...I believe that reciprocity is a given here, quid pro quo (a golden rule of honesty ...if that sounds more familiar). It matters not to me that someone agrees with my world view, as a matter of fact, ...I'm a big fan of diverse views, ...unless those who espouse them are not honest about it.

Being religious doesn't require a book, or a church, ...not when the context is:

Do you believe in a divine being(s)?

Do you not believe in a divine being(s)?

That simple.

Really, I don't judge anybody by whether they believe in the former (religious) or (not) believe in the former (non religious) It really is a single posit with two defaults = Yes/No

I really think what the measure of a man/woman is how accurately their words and deeds match, beliefs notwithstanding.

Yeah, I make honesty a big priority ...so sue me.

That's why I don't feel I can claim "non-religious", ...even though I don't believe in anything close to the various and myriad faces of the Abrahamic "God/Allah/YHWH" (who would probably consider me an atheist), in fact I really don't think that you could call what I believe in can even be described as a deity, ...maybe not even divine, ...but I do believe in a "divine being" (lower-case intentional) of a "Greater Good" (My god has more "o" than yours), ..."being" ...um, being quite literally interpreted , as "ALL". My God, "Good ...of the Greater" isn't a creator of the universe, it is of it, and quite insentient and non-sapient, I care about it (not the other way around).

So since so many of the religious folk keep stealin' my label (non-), ...and quite frankly, I don't want to be associated with them. So I made up my own God (just like they do) and use "other".

At least I'm honest about it.
 luckyhot777s
Msg: 24
why are so many not religious when...
Posted: 4/6/2010 8:25:08 PM
Interesting enough...Jesus and God don't belong to any religions either.

It seems religions sprang up all having a different variation in what actually happened and their own beliefs.

Seems to me there is only one way things happen, and if the case, one belief should spring up from that.

Religions were created by humankind......probably at one time from a leader of sorts, who had their own take on things...lol.

As for dating sites as having fewer religious people? Lets don't as fuel to the fire of those who are religious, for blaming our wows on not being religious...lol.
 late™
Msg: 25
Posted: 4/6/2010 8:54:25 PM

Jesus and God don't belong to any religions either.

Then they should be honest about this on their profiles.
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 4/6/2010 10:32:07 PM
Put me down with the "spiritual" but not religious (as in organized religion) crowd. I've never doubted that there's "something more than meets the eye" ( from my life experiences) , but I've come to realize some of the least "religious" people I've ever met are in churchs and places of worship.

Even as a child, I thought that visual image of God as an old man sitting on a throne in a cloud as somewhat stupid.

I guess my overall general rough description might be as a "Zen Christian" with Diest overtones. I don't think God is sitting there listening to our prayers, and never have. On the other hand, on occasion, I've said a simple thanks for the things I've received....out of appreciation and the off chance He/She/It just might need a kind word.

I do find "God" far easier to feel in nature, than in the concrete jungle.

I also see all religions as branches of the same tree, filtered through culture and history. When I've met truly spiritual people, of different faiths, they do seem to have far more in common than one might expect. I've met some AMAZING rabbis, for example.

One of my dreams is to start a reality show. I'd find the worst excuse for a human being I could, wrecked by drugs and covered in his own filth.... and drop him off on the steps at a different place of worship each week.....totally passed out.

I'd call it..... "Test Of Faith ".

Might be fascinating to sort out who is really got their religion's message or not.

Plus, if any other guy does the same thing, everyone's going to be thinking it's the show.....
 NarcissusTemple
Msg: 27
Posted: 4/7/2010 2:33:47 AM
While listing myself as non-religious, I admit to having some thoughts similar to wvwaterfall.
However, these are very personal thoughts and I don't employ those ideas in the relationship to create a spiritual connection or common ground with my partner.

Re. the OP's experience, I've found the opposite.
I've been contacted by numerous men who have their religion (usually Christian or Catholic) on their profiles.
I write back saying that religion is a deal breaker for me.
Then I get the back-pedaling emails explaining how they don't really believe, it was just how they were raised.
pffft!
 koncrete
Msg: 28
Posted: 8/9/2011 1:57:38 AM
there's this new thing going around
"Its not about a religion, its about a relationship"

so they mark not religious. ..
that is another form of Christianity.. with a special focus in talking to yourself.

soo brainwashed that people no longer believe their own religion to be a religion.
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 8/9/2011 5:56:19 AM
"Non religious" is a viable option to winnow out the judgemental and hateful Religious people on POF who would refer to them as liars, and spirituality as crap. There are plenty of fishes who pronounce their faiths and wear it on their sleaves on the site. Not sure why it is important to put down people who have evolved into the "non-religious" category, and for many, that matters of the spirit cannot be defined by congregations and dogma. Most of the most spiritual people I know would never attend a church, or have in the past and gotten over it. Non religious means many things to different people. You don't get to make the rules for everyone. People who love to dictate all the rules are in part what drives people from religions.
 jed456
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 8/9/2011 9:22:53 AM
I have non religious because I am an agnostic.I certainly do not believe in any organized religion.I am a live and let live type if your religous great however if you are one of those people who go around preaching trying to convert me.I simply say no thank you and walk away.I am a firm beliver in the seperation of church and state.
 PragmaticDoc
Msg: 31
Posted: 8/9/2011 10:07:29 AM
I am an Atheist as well. I live in Indiana and well lets just say when in living in the bible belt people are a little more closed minded. On this site, it seems, people are less worried about a person's religous views until they actually know whether or not they are interested. By the way why isn't there an Agnostic and Atheist option? I personally have no problems with whatever a person decides to put their faith in, as long as no harm comes to an innocent. But that opens up a crates of stuff not for here. Maybe some people don't represent themselves the same on here as in real life would be that they feel their in a difference between "the net" and the real world. Who knows?
 Casper66
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 8/9/2011 10:45:00 AM
Well I consider myself non-religious, I believe in evolution not creationalism, but honestly don't really care if someone else is religious aslong as they don't try to convert me or force their views on me. I do relate to some of the Buddist and Toaist philosiphies, try to be a good person and do as little harm as possible to my environment. All thou I don't believe in a God, I do believe that there is so much more out there beyond our understanding, the pictures from the Hubble are awe inspiring, so who knows what could be awaiting us after death.
 nipoleon
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 8/9/2011 11:13:05 AM
There are lot's of people who are religious and spiritual but can't bring themselves to call themselves " Christian ", because they are smart enough to realize there's something wrong with it.

To my knowledge there is no real Christianity.
That is, I don't know a single person who actually practices anything closely resembling what could honestly be called Christianity.

There is Judaism, and Islam, and Hinduism, because I've known people who practice these religions. I don't know anyone who actually practices Christianity. The most ignored, forgotten , and misunderstood figure in all Christendom is undoubtedly, Jesus himself.
They all love Paul, but they could care less about what Jesus had to say about anything.

Christianity, as it's commonly understood in society, is merely a fake pseudo-religious pyramid scheme. They are very interested in getting new members to join but after that they have nothing to offer.
But.... they do love your money.
I've not yet seen and intelligent person, who started asking real viable questions, who didn't quickly drop Christianity.

Modern Christianity is a cesspool of phony spiritualism, mental derangement, and anti-intellectualism. They have no real answers for anyone who wants to know anything meaningful .
It's too bad that a lot of well intentioned and honest people get sucked into the phony baloney scam that Christianity has become. Yea..... I'm talking about " the Rapture ", " The Late Great Planet Earth ", " The Anti-Christ ", and all that bull .
 PragmaticDoc
Msg: 34
Posted: 8/9/2011 11:20:39 AM
"There are lot's of people who are religious and spiritual but can't bring themselves to call themselves " Christian ", because they are smart enough to realize there's something wrong with it.

To my knowledge there is no real Christianity.
That is, I don't know a single person who actually practices anything closely resembling what could honestly be called Christianity.

There is Judaism, and Islam, and Hinduism, because I've known people who practice these religions. I don't know anyone who actually practices Christianity. The most ignored, forgotten , and misunderstood figure in all Christendom is undoubtedly, Jesus himself.
They all love Paul, but they could care less about what Jesus had to say about anything.

Christianity, as it's commonly understood in society, is merely a fake pseudo-religious pyramid scheme. They are very interested in getting new members to join but after that they have nothing to offer.
But.... they do love your money.
I've not yet seen and intelligent person, who started asking real viable questions, who didn't quickly drop Christianity.

Modern Christianity is a cesspool of phony spiritualism, mental derangement, and anti-intellectualism. They have no real answers for anyone who wants to know anything meaningful .
It's too bad that a lot of well intentioned and honest people get sucked into the phony baloney scam that Christianity has become. Yea..... I'm talking about " the Rapture ", " The Late Great Planet Earth ", " The Anti-Christ ", and all that bull ."

So nice it should be said twice. Still clapping.... and yes still clapping
 2findU
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 8/9/2011 5:49:21 PM
Well, I'm an American and an Atheist. Although I was raised Jewish I really never had any kind of belief. I have met more atheists too. I belong to some Meetup groups such as "Skeptics in The Pub", "Science in The Tavern" and an "Atheists" group. So far everyone I've met in the first two groups are atheist and I've even met a few of them in the Atheist group too.
 cotter
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 8/9/2011 7:08:18 PM

Non religious means no religion and implies no spiritual crap either.
I think I'm gonna have to disagree with that. I am very spiritual but not in any way religious.

I have to add that I really never thought about the "spiritual" part of it until several of my patients implied it ... told me that I may not be religious, but am very spiritual.

A couple of them even took it one step further and pointed out my "other spiritual" abilities ... that I was vaguely aware of and had chosen not to pursue.
 internetmeme
Msg: 37
Posted: 8/10/2011 8:31:45 AM
I am non-religious.

As a scientist by occupation and trade I find the notion of a divine creator/supreme being to be mind-blowingly ignorant. My personal belief is the idea of religion/god was created to give people a meaning for life. To give someone a path towards a more fulfilling and positive life. The power of the mind is amazing- there's a reason why physicians always give "bad news" in a positive light. Positivity and beliefs in something good are powerful and life changing.

My personal opinion revolved around evolution and panspermia. The super layman explanation: Earth was formed- the act of gravity and motion formed the sphere we live on today. Cooling created vapor which in turn created rain/oceans/atmosphere/the origins of a habitat. Astroids to meteors landed on Earth's surface containing the basis elements of life/dna. Billions of years of evolution and merging created advanced organisms which evolved and adapted to their surroundings. Fast forward through the evolutionary process modern bi-pedal human beings split from the primates of past and continue to evolve until what we are today. Evolution can still be seen to this day- especially with people who live at high altitudes for the majority of their lives.

Tens of thousands of years ago when advanced civilizations began to form the need for a social structure became an issue. Overtime the stars and weather created the notion of "gods" or those who control and punish. This evolved to separate civilizations and created separate beliefs. Overtime these beliefs coincided with "miracles" and strengthened the core of beliefs. Civilizations with a strong religious center flourished and thus modern religion was born.

The end =)
 Doremi_Fasolatido
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 8/11/2011 6:37:48 AM
On my profile I had non religious listed under the religion section. I'd say that is accurate then I read some of the religion/belief posts.

I then changed my selection to "other"....

I was originally raised in the Catholic faith. There was always a right/wrong Good /bad and if you were stuck in a grey area as far as how you lived your life then a little time in purgatory would cleanse your soul after death. After living, learning, and forming my own views of the world I can honestly say that none of the organized religions jives with what I see of the world.As far as what happens after death? Beats me.

I just know I am here in the world now, at this wonderful time and I am nothing "other" than amazed by it all.
 MondoVman
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 8/11/2011 4:12:50 PM
^^^So you previously had "non religious" without any explanation? Yes?
And you changed to "other" and still without any explanation? Yes?

I have "Methodist" without any explanation. Thinking of adding words to the effect that I believe in a higher power, God, of my own understanding and that it's been X years since I attended any church service.

Caveat Reader, meaning "let the reader beware"(?)

Would those foaming at the mouth please get up from your chair and drink a glass or two of water?
Thanks.
 Bladesmith81801
Msg: 40
Posted: 8/13/2011 7:40:54 PM
"Jesus and God don't belong to any religions either."
"Then they should be honest about this on their profiles."

And they should be admitting they're involved with a LOT of the women on here, the players.

as in;
"My relationship with Jesus is the most important part of my life."

Really? They why are you here looking for another man? Does Jesus know you're stepping out on him and Daddy? Does this mean you're looking for a 3 some? Because I'm not sure I can compete in bed with y'know, the almighty and his kid. Do you make THEM were condoms? If not, do I have to?
 bamagrl68
Msg: 41
Posted: 8/14/2011 1:00:10 PM
Great post ezzee :) Couldn't have said it better myself.
On my profile it says spiritual but not religious.
I believe in God, but have no patience for judge mental people.
Too many people that go to church think the sermon is directed at everyone but them.
How you live your life says far more than going to church ever can.
I like to say that being in church doesn't make you a christian than being in a garage makes you a car ;)
 kari135
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 8/14/2011 3:31:52 PM

So you previously had "non religious" without any explanation? Yes?
And you changed to "other" and still without any explanation? Yes?

I did, too. Putting 'non-religious' seemed to be an open invitation to far too many to try to convert me to The One True Way. If it's enough of an issue with anyone who contacts me that they need to ask me what I believe, they're gone. I may - or may not - discuss my own beliefs with someone after I get to know them, but I also have to say there are people I've known 4 or 5 decades in real life I've never discussed it with. My beliefs are my business, no one else's.

For the person who thought that a non-religious Jew was a liar, not all Jews are religious in any way. It's a culture also, which can be and often is completely separate from religion.
 dwmitch
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 8/16/2011 10:16:44 PM
I actually run into the opposite problem. Most women I've talked to online identified themselves as Christian in their online dating accounts, myspace, and facebook profiles but they were atheists.

I met my second girlfriend through myspace. She had her religion listed as Pentecostal. Out of the four years we were together she was an atheist, actually hostile toward religion of any sort, until the last six months, when she converted.
 JWS1974
Msg: 44
Posted: 8/17/2011 12:39:51 AM
I think society, (speaking of American) is in a bit of a transitional phase. The staunch Christians, believers of the Bible in its literal word are fading fast. People deep down are seeing the hypocrisy and are instead picking and choosing the bits and pieces that they like and discarding the stuff they don't. This is currently being embraced on a huge scale and explains the "non-religious" status seen so much. The people often will still believe in some of the teachings, but have distanced themselves from the bad stuff and from the obligations of having to go to church. Once a person can dismiss any part of the teachings, justify it for any reason at all, throwing the rest into doubt is very, very easy.

Most people have a very hard time giving up what they have been taught is truth from day 1. Some truly believe the teachings, and that is fine. The change in attitudes I believe are major fractures. The power the religions once held is dwindling. The structure is crumbling. I already see more agnostics and atheists on the youth than previous generations. There will always be believers out there, but I see them not being the majority maybe 50 years down the road.
 FatBottomGirI
Msg: 45
Posted: 8/17/2011 9:06:36 AM
I would not call myself an atheist. I am the first to admit that I want to believe with the level of faith others seem to have. But part of me struggles with fear of disappointment should it not be true, and the other half fear for what happens if it is true and I am unable to silence the other half. I think it would so disappointing to me if there is nothing after this. The thought makes me sad. Once in a while I'll talk to Him and ask him to help me get some clarity on the issue. In other words, my intellectual side and spiritual side are in constant battle.
I would love it if I could see a ghost. That would mean there are souls and if there are souls that must mean there is also a higher being. I suppose that kind of defeats the purpose of believing on faith alone.
 FatBottomGirI
Msg: 46
Posted: 8/17/2011 9:42:41 AM
I will add that I respect other people's religious choices but stay away from people that are hostile about it (be they for or against religion/spirituality). Insulting people for believing or insulting them because they don't is pretty much the same thing. I often fail to understand the need to be angry, hateful, rude, or hostile about it, either way. That does not make for a pleasant person to be around.
 87Mippy
Msg: 47
Posted: 8/19/2011 3:12:12 AM
Well your having my luck but switched...I'm a single Christian women looking from a guy who is also Christian, but I come to find the non religious guys, lol.
Such a strange would we live in, literally! lol
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >