Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 xlr8ingmargo
Msg: 96
heaven- a punishment or a reward...Page 5 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
Everyone that can give me a little heaven as a reward will always get an "A"........
 late™
Msg: 97
heaven- a punishment or a reward...
Posted: 4/21/2010 7:18:48 PM

And that it's seriously creepy that some people think that's OK.

In so many ways

Where you get the "furious" concept is a mystery to me.

Projection

The problem with waiting for "heaven", especially if the requirements for entry are so based in self-concern as a means to an eternal award is; you have a belief that promotes the secret password approach over living life selflessly, ...it's no wonder it inspires contempt.

Especially when there are those who realize that contributing to a greater good is a means to a heaven on earth, one that can't be found by mere lip-service to a mythical being. Furious? no... contempt, yes.

I wouldn't trade my piece o' heaven for all of mythical heaven's castles in the clouds, ...'cause those castles, jus' like the clouds

...are just so much vapor.
 late™
Msg: 98
Posted: 4/22/2010 1:12:58 AM

Yanni band

Ewww... the Hell soundtrack, puhleeeese!

Pearly Gates

...is the name of Billy Gibbon's '59 Les Paul, that's no vapor brother....

Could it be that heaven and earth are not truly separable?

S'what I'm sayin'!

Heaven is real, not some pie in the sky entitlement.

Amen
 late™
Msg: 99
Posted: 4/22/2010 5:04:55 PM

Don't rightly know. Them that know the Good Books well don't ever talk about it.

Nope, I reckon the harps git in th' way.

My own readin' ain't revealed nothing about them. Went over this here thread -- again, nothing.

Um, ...post#89, 115, ...just sayin'

Reckon it remains a mystery of life.

Nope, it IS heaven on earth (sigh).
 mr.evil
Msg: 100
Posted: 4/22/2010 9:48:16 PM
There's always an old standby for the "other" place "Highway to Hell" by AC/DC
 rustytraveler
Msg: 101
view profile
History
Posted: 4/24/2010 4:20:53 AM
wrote this awhile back on a blog,

"It is interesting that what a lot of religion seems to come down to is the need, desire, wish and hope of many people... that something better will happen 'after'. I can understand it in third world countries where people have real basic problems of strife, hunger and illness, guess I'd be looking for some voodoo too... but in the West, in the 21 century??? I think pretty much everyone has most of their fundamental needs met here, most of us do have a roof, full bellies, a tv and a pc... so why all this uproar about a difference of thought... why should they care where to send me 'after' ? I sure have a pretty good idea where they'll end up .. Mulch, just like me.. and not such a bad fate either... we'll make things grow for the next batch, that's the way life as we know it works.

I've never quite understood why an afterlife is necessary, because if you wake up every morning knowing that this is 'it'... the Big Enchilada... maybe just maybe, you do better today, you're nicer, more tolerant, more appreciative, less jumpy, less fearful, more accepting, understanding.... because you know this is our one shot at living well... or as best we can and passing it on to others... why waste a minute of it in negativity or Saturday confession so you can re-sin again on Monday or sending other people to hell and damnation because they don't believe what you do? Where is the growth, responsibility and morality in those supposed Christian values?

We live in a miraculous universe, on a beautiful planet... a lot less blather about useless ideologies and quite a bit more responsibility, appreciation and gardening skills are in order...for the benefit all."
 RocketMan_Len
Msg: 102
Posted: 4/24/2010 11:42:04 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
First point - nobody knows for certain what out-of-body experiences really ARE. For all we know, they may be nothing more than highly lucid dreams.

Second - if fear of punishment in an afterlife is the only thing preventing you from stepping on kittens, then you are a sorry individual indeed...
 rustytraveler
Msg: 103
view profile
History
Posted: 4/24/2010 11:15:42 PM

Sorta tells me that we spend too much time in the "middle" -- not taking time for the "little but meaningful" things, nor stretching out as far as we're capable.

Well there it is..... the art of living each day as if this is heaven on earth and the last day of our lives and being accountable for our ideals and actions now... I don't really need a book to have compassion, a conscience or a mind ... and I can pretty much eliminate any desire to smoosh kittens.
Maybe if everyone wasn't so busy hedging their bets and starting strife one religion to another... they would simply be more tolerant and humane.
But the human animal is a fickled beast isn't it?
 themadfiddler
Msg: 106
Posted: 4/25/2010 11:45:26 AM
Specifically the Papyrus of Ani records that one must confront 42 different gods and confess that they have not broken any of the specific sins that these gods watch for. And the gods do not ask "Have you ever" as in a dialogue, the penitent soul simply confesses:

A second second trial was that the deceased would have to recite a negative confession "when [she or] he descends to the hall of the Two Truths." In the statement, he or she swore that they had not engaged in specific behaviors while alive. According to Egyptologist Ahmed Osman, one translation of the statement reads:

"Hail to thee, great God, Lord of the Two Truths. I have come unto thee, my Lord, that thou mayest bring me to see thy beauty. I know thee, I know thy name, I know the names of the 42 Gods who are with thee in this broad hall of the Two Truths . . . Behold, I am come unto thee. I have brought thee truth; I have done away with sin for thee. I have not sinned against anyone. I have not mistreated people. I have not done evil instead of righteousness . . .

http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_10cl.htm

The law codes that many people believe created by the Hebrew faith are predated by so many other law codes that it bears mention, especially Hammurabi and the Egyptian law codes and these spells/confessions of the spirits from the Book of the Dead.

While the OP was discussing whether the Christian ideal of heaven did it for you or not, I think it's germane to explore where their idea of heaven had it's origins. It seems pretty clear that it developed from earlier polytheistic faith traditions in the near East but eventually got sanitized and puritanized for the prudish and restrained new flock who's worst fear, compared to the pagan world, was that someone, somewhere, might be having too good a time
 late™
Msg: 107
Posted: 4/25/2010 11:59:32 AM
wtf - crazy

It's all relative, isn't it?

sanitized and puritanized for the prudish and restrained new flock who's worst fear, compared to the pagan world, was that someone, somewhere, might be having too good a time

Here's the take on who goes to heaven according to the often contradictory interpretations of what has been described at RationalWiki as:

Christianity in a nutshell

Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.

Hah ha... according to the various interpretations...

Some theories on exactly what people need to do to be saved are:
Faith and works: The Catholic and Orthodox churches take a meritocratic view, claiming salvation through both faith and works (the RCC also has a heavy investment in social services in most countries in which it is active). This means that you need to believe in the sacrifice of Jesus and lead a good, moral, charitable life.
Sola fide: Many Protestant believers, on the other hand, subscribe to the doctrine of sola fide ("by faith alone"), in which good works are unnecessary for salvation.[2] Some Protestants maintain that baptism into the church is required for salvation, while others take a more decentralized view and hold that it is simply believing that does it; this is a process known as "becoming saved" or "being born again".
Unconditional election: This is a central tenet of Calvinism. In Calvinism, people have no free will; God is in complete control of the universe, and therefore God is the one who decides whether they have faith or not. Consequently, God must choose who is saved and who is not; those who are saved are known as the "elect," and have been elected unconditionally with no regard to the beliefs or actions of each individual human. Today, hyper-Calvinism, on which Dominionism is based, takes this idea to its logical extreme.
Universalism: This holds that Jesus' sacrifice was sufficient for all humanity's sins regardless of personal acceptance.
Not thinking about it too much: Many Christians aren't really sure what they believe; they just try to lead good lives and hope for the best.

Might as well buy a lottery ticket

Great site: http://rationalwiki.com/wiki/Main_Page

xlr8ingmargo
Msg: 108
Posted: 4/25/2010 1:45:38 PM
Guys, I dont make fun of your beliefs. I dont shove mine around either.
What we are is what we are, and we can all accept each other as is.
 xlr8ingmargo
Msg: 109
Posted: 4/27/2010 4:00:42 PM
Excuse me young man but what your comment says to me is you are not a nice person.
How ever there is even hope for you.
 RocketMan_Len
Msg: 110
Posted: 4/27/2010 5:15:38 PM

How dare you criticize my religious beliefs!

If your beliefs can't stand up to a little criticism, it's time to re-evaluate them altogether.
 PregnantLady
Msg: 111
Posted: 4/30/2010 8:30:00 AM
I hope to make it to Heavan.. so I guess reward
 asianpeachqTea
Msg: 112
view profile
History
Posted: 3/1/2012 6:31:51 PM
A late addition but I Like this Thread
Post. BTW Some Christians/Catholics..Idk which but those who BeLieve in God &or Jesus Christ say that when we die we donot become Angels so what are we than?Just absorbed into God?&There are Angels yes but diff.sects classes of them.Its still interesting Knowledge though.Anyhoo.Can you imagine being in Heaven with anyone who did harm? Yet find forgiveness there & love then disgust just like that.Are we the Beings in Heaven able to stay & leave to go as we please to even be reborn or to guide whom we know. If one cannot find the way to Heaven why not one already there help.To think of not being with family again is a frightening concept. I would like Heaven to be..well one having all creatures would be a Blessing.Able to Fly is a Gift. But not forgetting the
world that is not Heaven would make it worthwhile complete.To be endlessly blissful is nice but sounds idk,weak of us.Hard to explain..to be cont.
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 113
Posted: 3/2/2012 5:30:37 AM

It is a carrot put on the end of the religious stick to keep you doing what they want you to do.

heaven- in the bible- exists in the literal interpretation-

Taking the bible literally is an epic fail at understanding what the bible is, and would be the same as taking a Harry Potter book literally.
 Bladesmith81801
Msg: 114
Posted: 3/2/2012 6:10:09 AM
Having seen and dealt with the kinds of people who believe in "Heaven", I'd rather go to Hell than spend eternity with them.

My faith believes in the Summerlands, where the spirit goes to rest and reflect and learn from their lifes lessons before re-incarnating. I prefer it.
 unYOUsual
Msg: 115
Posted: 3/2/2012 6:15:05 AM

Having seen and dealt with the kinds of people who believe in "Heaven", I'd rather go to Hell than spend eternity with them.
Judging by your posts I don't think that will be a problem...

Anything for an eternity is probably going to suck a little but If I get to choose I Choose Heaven,,,,
 irishlab33
Msg: 116
Posted: 3/2/2012 6:28:28 AM
On one hand we have:

My faith believes in the Summerlands, where the spirit goes to rest and reflect and learn from their lifes lessons before re-incarnating. I prefer it.

Very cool belief.

On the other hand........................same poster:

Thanks for wrapping up the "heaven" believers is a nice bundle.

I think I'll save this little quote for when you go on one of your tolerance/intolerance rants.
 Bladesmith81801
Msg: 117
Posted: 3/2/2012 6:32:02 AM
^^^
Rush Limbaugh, Andrew Breitbart, and a few others I could name believe in "Heaven". Every hateful Fundie claims a place in "Heaven". AND they believe they're going there. You may want to share space eternal with the likes of them, but I'll pass.
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 118
Posted: 3/2/2012 6:42:23 AM

Rush Limbaugh, Andrew Breitbart, and a few others I could name believe in "Heaven". Every hateful Fundie claims a place in "Heaven". AND they believe they're going there. You may want to share space eternal with the likes of them, but I'll pass.

Well seeing as Breitbart is dead now, maybe he knows for sure that he is nothing more than bio-mass.
 red_fir
Msg: 119
Posted: 3/2/2012 9:06:01 AM

And the feeling is probably mutual, but..... there is that whole love your fellow man as yourself thing so they keep presenting the option.....
 bohemianmoonchild333
Msg: 120
view profile
History
Posted: 3/2/2012 10:37:04 AM
For me, it's neither. I choose not to entertain the concepts of either heaven nor hell.
 irishlab33
Msg: 121
Posted: 3/3/2012 7:15:56 AM

Some people preach tolerance, others practice it.
 Rokei57
Msg: 122
view profile
History
Posted: 3/3/2012 8:44:08 AM
I'm beginning to believe this is hell we are living in now....and that heaven is a much better place.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >