Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > going to resturants alone      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 *topchef*
Msg: 26
going to resturants alonePage 2 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
I have absolutely no problem going to a restaurant by myself and do it whenever the mood strikes, if there is no one around to join me. If you are concerned about it.... in the beginning, try going to a Japanese restaurant and sit at the sushi bar. Lots of people do that and the sushi chefs provide live entertainment while you sip tea and savour your sushi.

There is a restaurant in London, the oldest restaurant in the city actually, called "Rules", a very upscale restaurant with traditional food and they actually have tables for 1. Just a couple of them, but you cant even pull up a chair to them, so it is clear the diner is intended to dine alone. That restaurant attracts a lot of political types from the House of Lords etc.....and they dont seem to mind the peace and tranquility of a quiet meal alone.

Movies???? All the time...that way I get to see what I want instead of some fluff chosen by someone else.
 abandonedbycupid
Msg: 27
going to resturants alone
Posted: 4/25/2010 3:16:11 PM
I was literally single up until today so I often eat alone. . I actually enjoy it. Some say that it's a good tactic to meet men but I simply see it as a way to get some good eats and a change of scenery.

I love going on road trips, to movies or doing anything else with the person who's most dear to me. Myself. Joking, but really if you can't be comfortable and entertained with your own thoughts and company why should anyone else be.
 arwen52
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 4/25/2010 3:16:44 PM
I do it all the time. I take a book or magazine. No big deal.
 xlr8ingmargo
Msg: 29
Posted: 4/25/2010 3:20:26 PM
I do things alone so I dont have to put up with anyones drama or BS.
My luck has it that I know too many people like every where because I travel lots.
Seems like the further I try to go to get alone the more people I find.
Either that or when I wear sweats and a ball cap to a chain restaurant I run into some hottie that feels bad cause Im alone. Sometimes I just want to be alone in peace and enjoy my solitude. I like doing things alone.
 NowSucksLess
Msg: 30
Posted: 4/25/2010 3:39:39 PM
I felt very awkward the first time I did it but discovered it to be no biggie and now do it often. I do take something to read while waiting for my order.

The restaurant staff and other diners probably just assume you are a traveling business person with a nice expense account.

And think of the advantages. You get to choose the restaurant and it’s cheaper (I normally pick up the tab in a group.)
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 4/25/2010 3:42:39 PM
I've done it many times, simply because I travel a lot for my job. Doesn't phase me a bit, and never seemed to affect the restaurant folks. I wouldn't be surprised if the servers felt lass than thrilled at the prospect of a single-person level tip at the end of the deal, but no one ever showed any trouble.
 NowSucksLess
Msg: 32
Posted: 4/25/2010 4:32:00 PM
And dining alone is faster too.

Sometimes it is nice to shoot the breeze for a few hours with friends over a leisurely meal but not always.
 PirateJohn09
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 4/25/2010 6:37:03 PM
I go to Hometown Buffet a lot and bring a book with me. I like doing that because I can do the whole thing at my pace and can just sit quietly off in my own (and the author's) little world.
 CoolBreezez
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 4/25/2010 7:32:13 PM
I go out and eat alone all the time. Did it for business trips and still like to get out on the weekends, usually for brunch. I like to read so I bring a newspaper along. If you get to be a regular at a few places after while the staff gets to know you a bit and usually brings your favourites quickly.

It is true that as a single you sometimes get put at some of the worst tables, ie by the kitchen, near the doors in winter, next to busy walkways especially in a crowded places- I just avoid those places that keep doing that to you, or go at off times.

I'm actually quite surprised at the number of women here that say they dine alone. In my experience, not many are comfortable with it - I see very few ladies out by themselves. Maybe there's some relationship between posting in forums and being confident to go out by yourself (?)

Since most of my buds have gotten hooked up, I don't get too many chances to get out in a group. So rather than live in isolation I explore the town. People watching is always interesting and you never know what you might see next.

Another bonus-Its a way to scout out places to take dates or friends in the future. Give it a try OP- maybe you'll like it.
 PirateJohn09
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 4/25/2010 8:31:03 PM

i go out on my own often
to movies and dinner

And you can buy yourself expensive presents. And you don't even have to wrap them. And you already know it's exactly what they wanted.
 Helen0426
Msg: 36
Posted: 4/25/2010 9:51:05 PM

Maybe there's some relationship between posting in forums and being confident to go out by yourself (?)

Interesting thought! Or maybe those who're comfortable with it are more likely to respond... possibly both.

A couple of other posts reminded me, I did feel a bit intimidated at the prospect of going on a vacation trip alone, which I took a few years ago. But once I got there, it was great! I had a wonderful time doing just what I wanted to do (which was very little - mainly swim, sun, sleep, eat, and read) and spoiling myself terribly. I heartily recommend it for anyone who hasn't yet tried it, and hope to do it again myself!

Similarly, JaxFlorida, you might find that you are comfortable by yourself after all once you've arrived at a place where you'd like to eat. First time I took myself out for a nice meal, in my twenties, I was doing it mainly to avoid going home after work - I had this awful roommate situation at the time, one of them was great, but the other and I just could not get along - and I thought I'd feel awkward, but the waitstaff were wonderful and made me feel very much at home. That was an informative experience in that the anticipation was far bigger than the reality.
 jupiterztear
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 4/25/2010 10:11:29 PM
Eating is a way of social bonding, you can see it in all cultures around the world and it´s been like this since civilization began…but I guess there is no right or wrong…just enjoy your meal. PS...good post!
 NowSucksLess
Msg: 38
Posted: 4/25/2010 10:14:53 PM

They only really cared about sticking something in my pie hole, having me pay, and getting me to leave so the next person can do it.

hehe...and, in this economy, restaurants probably don't care if the pie holes come in one at a time or in pairs.
 DocElffington
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 4/25/2010 11:06:00 PM
I'm not one for going to restaurants alone.

To me, that's an excursion to be shared with someone, though it need not be a love interest.

I've taken cousins and friends out to eat before..........especially if I know they don't get to go eat out very often.
 NYguitar77
Msg: 40
Posted: 4/26/2010 6:30:32 AM
I don't really eat out for the reason of why waste money on something I can make at home? The last time I went out alone, I was surrounded by all these couples, and they sat me in the one table that just had 2 chairs...the rest were 4 chairs. When I heard a woman say, "Aw, he doesn't have anyone to talk to", that's when I knew it was time to leave. I've never been back to that place.
 Sabrosura089
Msg: 41
Posted: 4/26/2010 7:49:04 AM
Do others mind going out to eat alone

Not at all. I've done this many many times, and I am quite comfortable doing so. The wait staff at my local pub already know me, and they know the table I usually like to sit at when I go by myself (where I can see the screen TVs/watch a game or people watch or read or even talk with them/others).
 cookie22222
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 4/26/2010 7:58:54 AM
From the time I got my driver's license...if I wanted to go somewhere or do something, and no one else was around or interested - I'd go myself. Movies, restaurants, clubs to hear a band I like...whatever!
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 43
Posted: 4/26/2010 7:59:25 AM

i do it all the time. what's wrong with it? what, i'm going to sit there worrying about what a bunch of nudniks think about me having a meal alone in a restaurant? oh, the horror!! hey if people want to look, i'll start hanging spoons off the end of my nose. that'll teach 'em. lol.

This is sort of my attitude. In fact, I welcome people staring at me - it means they must really have boring lives to find ME interesting. I just ain't that big a deal to watch.

When I heard a woman say, "Aw, he doesn't have anyone to talk to", that's when I knew it was time to leave. I've never been back to that place.

I'd have addressed this if it were me and said something like "hopefully I won't have anyone to talk to for at least this one dinner...I need a break."

Now I dont have to go anywhere alone anymore

No one "has" to go anywhere alone or with someone else. But life is much easier when you're able to. It eliminates being trapped into having to find someone else when no one wants to do what you want to do, and when you just want to go somewhere - you go. To me it's a sort of freedom.
 peppermint petunias
Msg: 44
Posted: 4/26/2010 8:49:48 AM
I will during lunch hour not dinner.

If they have outdoor tables that's good, take a book.

Many people have lunch alone.

If you go during peak hours expect a crowd.
Lots of men go together for lunch in the business district. Hmmm maybe I'll do lunch this week.

Like said before the more you do something the more you are comfortable with it.
 OutMind
Msg: 45
Posted: 4/26/2010 12:40:20 PM
I never had any problems eating out by myself. Most restaurants have a bar area, they also serve in that area. So you sit there, talk to the other people at the bar, make a lot of friends, and if you are a regular to a couple of places, it was fun to get there and hang out. Also, once they know you and you arrive with a date or some friends, they tread you extra special.
 ladyc4
Msg: 46
Posted: 4/26/2010 3:49:50 PM
It's never bothered me, even when my late DH was alive, if I was off on an expedition by myself.
As others have mentioned, taking a book, newspaper or magazine with you...or your laptop or other computing/connectivity device.

I'm not big on going to movies by myself, though I have done it. But pretty much anything I want to do, any place I want to go...within the bounds of fiscal responsibility, safety factors, if applicable-I'm very careful in selecting places where I go camping(yes in a tent), sticking to family type private campgrounds, or meeting friends at a location.
As far as entertainment, I have quite a few friends who are musicians/DJs, if they are playing in a bar and I want to go, I do. I also have musician friends who tend to do more "family friendly" venues.
I have NEVER understood-as mentioned by a previous poster- people,especially girls/women who can't go anywhere or do anything without someone along to hold their hand. I've seen some of these women make poor choices in suitors/SOs/spouses, simply because they were "sick of sitting home". Now THAT'S something that's really sad!
Cindy O
 TheReason_
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 4/26/2010 3:53:20 PM
I do it all the time. If I'm somewhere by myself, I'll catch a movie or get something to eat at a nice restaurant alone. I don't find it to be a big deal or awkward at all.

*shrugs*
 DragNFlyBuzzez
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 4/26/2010 5:44:42 PM
As a former road dog who traveled 5 states, I hated hotel rooms, I went everywhere alone and explored neighborhoods, ask locals where they would go. Now I have no problem, I don't drink but always sit at the bar and ate and tipped like I did drink.

Diners are also great to go too!
 charlie_girl_2
Msg: 49
Posted: 4/27/2010 3:45:22 AM
i eat alone all the time, but usually not for long. you see, i like to sit at the bar and have my dinner instead of sitting at a table by myself and since i am not one to just sit and be quiet i usually make a friend or two while sitting there. people at the bar in most restaurants are bored to tears anyway and are happy to have someone else to converse with.....at least in my experience. of course i also frequent some of the same places over and over again (see creature of habit or easy to assassinate) so i always have a friend to talk to behind the bar. lets see....there is monica, mandy, charlie, doris, keith, christy, lisa, brandy, etc, etc...i have met some pretty interesting folks sitting at the bar having dinner and heard some equally interesting stories..

you can eat alone without eating alone...

Totally agree with Chip.
I've traveled to Europe alone and many places here in the US and that means, going to shows, touring, ski trips, shopping, and eating alone -- but as Chip stated (above) if one is friendly and approachable -- making friends while you are doing these things is not only interesting, but fun.

Anyone who stays home because they can't get the courage to go alone is missing so much in their lives. My opinion, anyway.

Merrylass
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 4/27/2010 7:54:59 AM
People need to get over themselves. I've got news for some of the posters here: nobody cares about you. It is seriously narcissistic to think that the world is watching you and judging your every move. I don't believe any movie stars are POF members so, pretty much, if you're a regular mortal, the world has better things to do than pay attention to you. Staying home because you fear 'what others think' is a sign that you need to do some growing up.

There is nothing odd or weird about people eating alone in restaurants - unless they're making a lot of noise or throwing food around. Staying home because you fear 'what others think' is a sign that you need to do some growing up.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > going to resturants alone