Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > going to resturants alone      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 good_catch77
Msg: 51
going to resturants alonePage 3 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
I'm bad, I could pack my lunch or even go home to eat on my lunch break but I always go out to eat. 99% of the time I am alone. Sometimes I'll see a old friend or even eat with a co-worker. So I do it all the time, I don't mind it when I'm on my "lunch break." But when I go out after work, esp on a date night, I often feel awkward.

I agree on the scoping the place out. I do know which places have better service and food. I also know which ones have good looking waitresses as well .

Some days are worse than others, if I'm feeling down I don't like to go out, but if I've been flirted with all day and feeling good I will go out and have fun.

But overall I don't mind it because I'm used to it.....Best of luck to everyone
 imalitltpot
Msg: 52
Going to restaurants alone
Posted: 4/28/2010 2:55:56 PM
I dine alone frequently. I am not a lingerer, though...I want them to be able to turn the table over fairly quickly. I don't rush, but I don't linger either. And I try to avoid "rush hour".

I prefer going to movies alone -- I can move, leave, have empty seats next to me.....I don't have someone whispering to me....I can be rude to the noisy person behind me without embarrassing anyone.....

Check this guy out:
http://servernotslave.wordpress.com/
See April 16 entry: "Why single diners are the devil” or “How I learned to stop being an annoying customer”

Grrrr.
 Helen0426
Msg: 53
going to resturants alone
Posted: 4/28/2010 3:07:34 PM

What I HATE is when the host/ess do the inevitable? "Just one?"

I have not once heard that - probably because I pre-empt them by saying (politely but firmly), "One for dinner, please." Or lunch, as the case may be. If it's pretty open and I see seating I find particularly desirable, I'll ask for that while I'm at it. So I basically take care of the whole thing for the host/hostess.

I started doing this because I remembered a riff in the "Cathy" comic strip (I know, of all things, right?) on how the character was forever hearing this when she took herself out, and I was determined to avoid that kind of minimization. Give it a shot, it works!
 NowSucksLess
Msg: 54
Going to restaurants alone
Posted: 4/28/2010 4:05:41 PM
>>Single diners are the devil.<<

The author of that article can go fvck himself. Does he think the restaurant exists for the sole purpose of maximizing his tips!?! Every business has big and small customers, large and tiny orders, profitable and unprofitable jobs. It comes with the territory. He doesn’t have to be a server.

If you want or need a table, take a table. Single diners are not second-class citizens; they shouldn’t have to sit at the bar or at the back of the bus.
 12 Volt Man
Msg: 55
Posted: 4/28/2010 8:59:46 PM
^
I am the same way.

I would feel too much like Steve Martin did in 'The Lonely Guy" :P
 cherryyblossom
Msg: 56
Posted: 4/29/2010 6:11:30 AM
i am quite used to eating at restaurants on my own. i do feel a bit left out, though, if i see everyone else with other people, but it is not that big of a deal.
 hyoid
Msg: 57
Posted: 4/29/2010 11:48:44 AM
The next time I see a woman dining alone in one of the sit down restaurants I patronize (as opposed to sports bars), I will ask if I may join her.

However, the next time will be the first.
 anunu
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 4/30/2010 9:06:53 AM
Definitely not my thing to eat alone.

I have done it before and felt really strange sitting there and seeing all of the families and couples around me.
If I do decide to go to a restaurant alone, I prefer to sit at the bar with all of the other loners.
That way I can strike up a conversation with a stranger.
 beehearnow
Msg: 59
Posted: 4/30/2010 2:48:18 PM

Try it again sometime, and when you notice the couples and families, instead of feeling outcast, pay attention to them, you may just see some good reasons why you may not be in such a hurry to be part of the crowd.

so true...although I don't always want to be alone, I don't miss at all being in a situation where company is required and unpleasant.

I very nearly hitched out of Yellowstone National Park in the middle of what was supposed to be an ideal vacation solely due to the behavior of person who was providing the transportation (behavior, of course, which was all my fault, lol)...it would have been a much better vacation had I taken it alone and he told me later that he felt the same.
 Vannili
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 4/30/2010 6:45:56 PM
I don't mind going alone to eat in Red Lobster,ASteak House,Chinese etc.. If I feel hungry and wants to eat on those places or any place, I'll go and eat by myself... I don't depend my hunger on others to invite me and they pay for my meals or I have money to invite them just to have company because I "feel strange sitting at a table by myself." Not Me.. Of course when I was married with my late husband ,I was never solo eating in a restauarant it is always with my husband ,and sometimes with our friends........
I run my life with out the approval of others unless ,they own me and pay my bills...And I go to the bars drink water ,listen to the band by myself and make friends with others with no hassles..
 zergzlol
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 4/30/2010 11:38:07 PM
I do it from time to time. Nothing wrong with going alone. It's sort of like... you get ruled out as far as a patron for an establishment beyond 'fast food' simply because you don't have or want anyone to go with you at a specific point in time. It certainly may be abnormal, but not strange or weird or anything in the least.

Absolutely nothing wrong with things like this, unless it's something SPECIFICALLY for couples or other groups of people, then it might be a bit much.
 Vannili
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 5/1/2010 2:33:14 AM
Marquis De Saab :
What you said is very true.. Well ,if you are living solo it is understable that most of the time you go out and eat by yourself..
Inviting "Miss dipshit or Mister dipshit" just to have company so other people will not look you down because of dining alone , is stupid mentality....It is really shitty for both of the invitee ,because the other probably doesn't feel like going out to eat s/ he have other things to do,of course it is a free meals,and you have to pick him/her in her/his house and take her/him back home.. No one will refuse that DEAL ,free meals and free rides,but remember s/he is doing you a favor accompanying you,it is expensive and waste of time on your part,but if you don't mind ,then go for it...

<div class="quote"> Count your blessings and enjoy the lobster.. screw what anyone else thinks.

No one really cares * waiters,cashiers, patrons ect..if you dine alone or with a dozen company,( you are just one of the faceless they encounter every day ) you are not number one on other people mind list,what is number one to them is their self and what the stuff on their faces.... Vannili
 Apollodorus
Msg: 63
Posted: 5/1/2010 6:44:50 AM
I prefer going to restaurants alone as well , movies..etc. I like lots of quiet time.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 64
Posted: 5/1/2010 6:51:14 AM

Do you know how many potentially nice and tasty meals I've had blown because I DID bring somebody with me who was a total dipshit?

Ha, I had to laugh at this. I've many times thought I should have gone somewhere alone so I could enjoy whatever's there instead of the way it turned out. Sometimes alone is not only better, but preferred.
 Paulmur077
Msg: 65
Posted: 5/1/2010 2:00:38 PM
I have no understanding whatsoever of people who are afraid to go to restaurants ( or anywhere else) alone. Whats the big deal?? Who cares if youre alone? If you dont have a date, youre not allowed to eat some where nice? Screw em, its your life, live it the way you want.
 Bookbelle
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 5/1/2010 2:44:12 PM
Definitely agree with Marquis De Saab on the dipshit thing. The number of places/things I've taken people to, and ended up thinking, "This would have been FAR better if I'd come alone."

It's not just meals, I go to the cinema and other places alone. If there's a film I want to see that no-one else I know does, I'd rather go alone than drag someone else along, and have them whispering to me the whole way through, "Who's he?/What's happening now? /I thought that person died?" etc etc all the way through it.
Likewise, going for a meal alone, I can choose where I go and what I have, without having to consider other peoples' dietary needs/wants etc.
 lostcause321
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 5/6/2010 11:19:01 PM
i would hate it if people made an issue of talking to me becasue i was alone, i dont like talking to people, call me weird
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 68
Posted: 5/8/2010 12:42:17 PM

i would hate it if people made an issue of talking to me becasue i was alone

Agreed. Just because I am somewhere alone doesn't mean I want company - I may be alone on purpose to relax and not have to talk to anyone (outside what's necessary to place an order).
 GotAHubCapDiamondStarHalo
Msg: 69
Posted: 5/8/2010 1:37:24 PM
Holy Cow! I'm guessing some folks never traveled out of town on biz. I may be driving around on errands and see a little ethnic joint to try. I rarely think anything about it. Sometimes I make a date with myself if I see a place and I'm not able to eat there for some reason, I plan ahead for the next time I'll be in the neighborhood to try it!

I prefer going to restaurants alone as well , movies..etc. I like lots of quiet time.
OMG, get out your iceskates because HELL has frozen over! My nemesis, my kryptonite, the butt floss in my crack, apollodorus, is a kindred spirit! Holy Sh1t, I never thought you'd go anywhere without a threesome! Hahahaha! High five on the down low, dude.
 GotAHubCapDiamondStarHalo
Msg: 70
Posted: 5/8/2010 1:49:11 PM
Hello, I'm sexist_user's evil twin. I am just a plain old user. Why would I go out by myself? I only go out when there is a man to pay. I order an appetizer to eat, then take my entree home. I'm a veggie, but my fiancée likes steak. Fine with me, that way, I'm not tempted to eat dinner and I don't have to cook for him when I get home! This works out pretty well on a first date. Lots of suckers on this site. Can't believe what a guy will do just for the faint hint of a possibility he will get a little action! Idjits!
 CoolBreezez
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2010 4:59:34 PM
Holy Cow!

Hello, I'm sexist_user's evil twin. I am just a plain old user. Why would I go out by myself? I only go out when there is a man to pay. I order an appetizer to eat, then take my entree home. I'm a veggie, but my fiancée likes steak. Fine with me, that way, I'm not tempted to eat dinner and I don't have to cook for him when I get home! This works out pretty well on a first date. Lots of suckers on this site. Can't believe what a guy will do just for the faint hint of a possibility he will get a little action! Idjits

Hey Moe! Hey Larry! I found a girl that' ll answer email on here!
Time to break out those Happy meal coupons and book the chapel!

Wait a minute..... does this mean we'll have to sit together?

.dej
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2010 5:29:34 PM

Would you feel strange doing it?

No, I enjoy my company.
 Vannili
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 5/9/2010 2:18:43 AM

when I heard a woman say," Aw, he doesn't have anyone to talk to" that's when it was time to leave. I've never been back to that place .

If I were you I will not be detered by some low down busy body......I would confront that woman if that remark was directed to me ..

I always go solo on eating at a restaurant since I become widowed, when I invited someone is to return a favor or business proposal.. Eating in a restaurant with someone/group of company/by myself,doesn't make any difference to me ,my purpose is to eat..
 jojoaus
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Posted: 5/9/2010 3:18:04 AM
I often shout myself a b runch or lunch alone at weekends... I buy a magazine or take a book, eat in a leisurely way, no indigestion from trying to talk and eat at the same time

I don't typically eat out alone of an evening... not sure why. I have done so when travelling for example, but it more because I need fuel to keep going rather than for pleasuse.

Just got back from dinner out with my kid and her g/f... we have a great Indian restaurant in our small town :) I enjoyed their company and the food was sublime... win/win
 _Icon_
Msg: 75
Posted: 5/9/2010 6:40:12 AM
Never had a problem with restaurants alone.

I only go alone to one bar where I know all the bartenders, I partied there as a kid and it's "safe." I don't usually go out to bars, nightclubs or parties alone unless I'm planning to meet someone there. Last time I tried it, I was the only woman in the room. I chugged my Red Stripe and got the hell out of there fast.

I still feel weird going to the movies by myself, but I just call a girlfriend.

Dinner at a restaurant, not a problem. I like to eat.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > going to resturants alone