Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 RocketMan_Len
Msg: 92
Contact with aliens could be risky, Hawking saysPage 4 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
So if you can trace your lineage back to a common ancestor, you're the same species...? So if all the Ringworld hominids trace back to homo habilis, that would make them human as well... so then NONE of it was Rishathra...

Tasps are FUN... just don't use it often enough to make me a wirehead...

What's the last Niven novel you've read...? Ringworld Throne, Ringworlds' Children...? He's got a trilogy out now that covers a time 200 years before the Known Space line - Fleet of Worlds, Mover of Worlds, and Destroyer of Worlds. I have the first two, and they're quite interesting... one of these days, I'll have to order the third.
 late™
Msg: 93
Contact with aliens could be risky, Hawking says
Posted: 6/23/2010 4:18:57 PM

So if you can trace your lineage back to a common ancestor, you're the same species...?

Ha ha not at all ...what I said.

What makes them the same (or different) species comes down to their haploid set of chromosomes.

What's the last Niven novel you've read...?

I can't remember, but it was probably one of his many collaborations. The last series (speaking of alien contact being risky), I really enjoyed the most was Legacy of Heorot books and the Motie sequel, ...can't remember the name.

I read a few of the Kzin Wars books but I found them a little too pulpy.

It's been many years since I read any SF, though I started a re-read of Stranger in a Strange Land a few weeks ago, but I woke up the next morning and the book had mysteriously disappeared, I still can't find it. I suspect government suppression of course.
 abelian
Msg: 94
Posted: 6/23/2010 5:06:42 PM

I wonder what sex would be like period.......No laughing here

It must be a konspiracy between the inflatable doll industry, the CIA and NOW.

Manufactured in underground installations in the US and around the world in various centres.

We had to stop manufacturing those things because the space required to mass manufacture the secret gravitational propulsion system would have required over half of the square footage we use for our underground brothel, leaving many of the women we kidnap, unemployed and homeless.

Sincerely,

[redacted]
The Cabal
The Underground Plaza Suite -666
Black Helicopterville, Everywhere
 late™
Msg: 95
Posted: 6/23/2010 10:49:24 PM

We had to stop manufacturing those things because the space required to mass manufacture the secret gravitational propulsion system would have required over half of the square footage we use for our underground brothel, leaving many of the women we kidnap, unemployed and homeless.

Sincerely,

[redacted]
The Cabal

To whom it may concern;

There is no "Cabal".

Sincerely,

[redacted]
The Cabal (TINC)
 stargazer1000
Msg: 96
Posted: 6/24/2010 1:59:21 PM

There is no "Cabal".

So what about the spoon? Is there a spoon or not?
 late™
Msg: 97
Posted: 6/24/2010 2:14:01 PM
There are no spoons, only small bowls with handles. The word "spoon" was invented by those who want to hide the truth behind the mysterious origins of the "Handlebowl", it's an obvious attempt at plausable deniability.

See:

"Sporknife"
- Society of Engineered Eating Utensil Lords Altering Truth - Erasing Reality (SEEULATER)"

The Cabal
(TINC)
 late™
Msg: 98
Posted: 6/27/2010 1:56:36 AM
Don't the moderators delete troll posts anymore ?

^^^ Off topic.

There is a topic for this post, the topic itself has a periphery. If one follows the thread they will note that the posts being labeled "trolls" in the above off topic whine, are indeed on topic and well withing the criteria clearly stated here:

"You can slam & bash the Topic or Subject under Discussion all you like"
- Source: http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts12578637.aspx

Some clearly ridiculous posts (see #80) are being ridiculed, which falls under the definition of a valid post (see above).

Some posts (see post #104) are clearly attacking other users while containing absolutely no hint of on topic content, which is a violation of forum posting rules x 2.

Just because the trolls don't want a thread to exist doesn't others don't want it either.

Not only off topic, but utterly incomprehensible.

As for the thread topic itself, it has already been sidetracked by conspiracy agenda trolls (verb) which (relative pronoun) ignore the reality that; an organization that can't keep secret a White House blow job can hide and keep secret little green men. Not what this topic is about at all, but somewhat loosely related on the fringe of the topic's periphery.

This fringe is also easily ridiculed, and whether you "doesn't others don't want it either" or not, ridiculous posts will be ridiculed as they add nothing to the topic other than an opportunity to point and laugh at the fringe.

Besides, those of us who do so are well compensated by mysterious men in dark suits and sunglasses.

The Cabal
(TINC)
 xlr8ingmargo
Msg: 99
Posted: 6/27/2010 4:00:47 AM
There you go again with the little green men.
Darn it all. Why oh why do they have to be green?
 RocketMan_Len
Msg: 100
Posted: 6/27/2010 7:15:56 AM
But they're NOT all green, Margo. The most popular alien 'type' is the Grey.

(But since the Asgard are all clones, sex is pretty much out of the question for them... )

Or... there's always the Andorians - they're bright blue.
 stargazer1000
Msg: 101
Posted: 6/27/2010 7:52:04 AM
Besides, those of us who do so are well compensated by mysterious men in dark suits and sunglasses.

We are? Hey! You mean I've been providing my ridiculing services for free?

Well, maybe my cheque got lost in the mail.

(But since the Asgard are all clones, sex is pretty much out of the question for them...

Not to mention anatomically (and somewhat comically) equipped as mannequins.
 late™
Msg: 103
Posted: 6/27/2010 11:44:20 AM
We are? Hey! You mean I've been providing my ridiculing services for free?

Well, maybe my cheque got lost in the mail.

Perhaps it was just suppressed?

It's likely that extra-terrestrials would treat us in a similar way to how we would treat them if the situation were reversed and we went to their planet. ie Spaniards meeting the Aztecs, how europeans treated aboriginals on nearly every continent etc etc etc

Even outside the anthropomorphic model, all we know about the top of a food chain is that it's always the most successful predator.
 RocketMan_Len
Msg: 104
Posted: 6/27/2010 11:57:43 AM
Not to mention - all we really know about food chains in general is what we've experienced on this particular ball of rock.

You've read Niven - you don't think that Puppeteers are plausible, even though they wouldn't be considered to be 'top predators' by ANY leap of imagination...?
 late™
Msg: 105
Posted: 6/27/2010 12:21:48 PM

Not to mention - all we really know about food chains in general is what we've experienced on this particular ball of rock.

Which, aside from being the only example we have of how species succeed, it is also a rock with such diverse examples that it covers a lot of bases.

You've read Niven - you don't think that Puppeteers are plausible, even though they wouldn't be considered to be 'top predators' by ANY leap of imagination...?

Well, I'll leave the delving into fictional examples to the space opera bards and of course, the tin-beanie club.
 xlr8ingmargo
Msg: 106
Posted: 6/27/2010 2:20:06 PM
Andorian you say? Talk about of a case of the blue you know whats.
Now thats something I wanna see... lol
This is me darn it.
 late™
Msg: 107
Posted: 6/27/2010 2:24:49 PM
Andorian you say?
Now thats something I wanna see..

It's a (somewhat) obscure reference, if you've never watched Star Trek.

See:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_y7akKaUErMI/SIiUWMou-FI/AAAAAAAABMw/sVVatYnGIiY/s400/BHO%2BAndorian.jpg
 RocketMan_Len
Msg: 108
Posted: 6/27/2010 2:48:55 PM

Which, aside from being the only example we have of how species succeed, it is also a rock with such diverse examples that it covers a lot of bases.

Diverse as it may be, we're still dealing with a sample-size of one... not nearly enough to draw any kind of generalized conclusion about the nature of life in the greater universe on.

I'm not sure it's tin-beanie material, just to suggest that we just don't know enough about what is happening 'Out There' to say that XT life will behave anything like we do.
 late™
Msg: 109
Posted: 6/27/2010 2:58:10 PM
Diverse as it may be, we're still dealing with a sample-size of one... not nearly enough to draw any kind of generalized conclusion about the nature of life in the greater universe on.

It's the only one (though it IS a diverse "one", with diverse samples) we have.

I'm not sure it's tin-beanie material, just to suggest that we just don't know enough about what is happening 'Out There' to say that XT life will behave anything like we do.

Anything's possible in the realm of possibility, including Moties, PAK, Andorans, Klingons ...all of which have an anthropogenic connection already, as will any speculation we indulge in.

Within the diversity on this "rock" the one commonality is evolution, which is largely guided by environment. Behaviors evolved in a non-terrestrial environment will likely reflect that environment, if evolution is a common aspect of how life forms. We don't yet know of any other environment that supports what we describe as "life" intelligent or otherwise.

If we speculate as to probabilities beyond possibilities, we can ignore what we already know, but outside of works of fiction, I can't see any practicality to it.

Just sayin'
 arwen52
Msg: 110
view profile
History
Posted: 6/27/2010 6:37:44 PM
Neil deGrasse Tyson, astrophysicist and head of Hamilton Planetarium in New York, puts it well. What we fear about aliens is that they will treat us the way we treat each other.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIE-363fNw0&feature=related
 slybandit
Msg: 112
Posted: 6/28/2010 11:26:49 AM
Of COURSE contact with aliens could be risky.

1. So is crossing the street.

2. If the aliens can get here, they're the ones making the decision, right?

3. For all we know, they've got mass unemployment problems, and all they want are jobs in return for food. You know, gardening, pool cleaning, street sweeping, day labour, teaching advanced quantum physics at MIT, the sort of jobs that even the aliens with no credentials from disadvantaged backgrounds can get.

4. Hey, alien standards can be, well, **alien**. For those of you who mentioned Three's Company, for all you know, their first request may be to meet with our Lord High Priest of Comedy and World President, Jack Tripper. (Here comes the alien logic): I mean, he MUST be High Priest, right? He cohabits with TWO females AND openly chases other ones while never seeming to ever have to work, and is constantly greeted with a chorus of laughter, whenever he falls down, just like OUR president.

5. Big assumption that they'd even be here to talk to US. The dolphins or whales could easily be the better candidates. We just happen to have THUMBS and big egos.

6. Yeah, they show up, hold a press conference and say: Um, well, ah, sorry 'bout, well, that leaving you behind business. We kind of got, ah, sidetracked. Hey, how have you been the last few hundred thousand years? Good? (Whispered suggestion from guy next to him...) Oh, yeah, no problem, we'll turn you all Black again, too. No problem.

late™
Msg: 113
Posted: 6/28/2010 11:37:21 AM

Of COURSE contact with aliens could be risky.

1. So is crossing the street.

2. If the aliens can get here, they're the ones making the decision, right?

3. For all we know, they've got mass unemployment problems, and all they want are jobs in return for food. You know, gardening, pool cleaning, street sweeping, day labour, teaching advanced quantum physics at MIT, the sort of jobs that even the aliens with no credentials from disadvantaged backgrounds can get.

4. Hey, alien standards can be, well, **alien**. For those of you who mentioned Three's Company, for all you know, their first request may be to meet with our Lord High Priest of Comedy and World President, Jack Tripper. (Here comes the alien logic): I mean, he MUST be High Priest, right? He cohabits with TWO females AND openly chases other ones while never seeming to ever have to work, and is constantly greeted with a chorus of laughter, whenever he falls down, just like OUR president.

5. Big assumption that they'd even be here to talk to US. The dolphins or whales could easily be the better candidates. We just happen to have THUMBS and big egos.

6. Yeah, they show up, hold a press conference and say: Um, well, ah, sorry 'bout, well, that leaving you behind business. We kind of got, ah, sidetracked. Hey, how have you been the last few hundred thousand years? Good? (Whispered suggestion from guy next to him...) Oh, yeah, no problem, we'll turn you all Black again, too. No problem.

Mr. Furley?
 abelian
Msg: 114
Posted: 6/28/2010 2:31:57 PM

Don't the moderators delete troll posts anymore ?

Are you actually suggesting that the moderators should undermine your mission by supressing information you don't like?

Just because the trolls don't want a thread to exist doesn't others don't want it either.

The thread still appears to be here, so I'm not sure what your complaint is,
 xlr8ingmargo
Msg: 115
Posted: 6/28/2010 2:53:39 PM
^^^ with our luck in the U.S. they would legally define themselves and a "person" , become a corporation, and screw the American taxpayer even more than B.P.

...so long as they are not green.
 stargazer1000
Msg: 117
Posted: 6/29/2010 9:03:25 AM

...so long as they are not green.

You go green, you don't ever go back!
 xlr8ingmargo
Msg: 118
Posted: 6/29/2010 9:57:30 AM
...but if I go green the blue ones will get jealous and not like me anymore.
 RocketMan_Len
Msg: 119
Posted: 6/29/2010 12:12:25 PM
Nah - they'll want to join in and have a REAL party...
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >