Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > The real reasons behind Arizona's Immigration Law?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Imported_labor
Msg: 301
The real reasons behind Arizona's Immigration Law?Page 13 of 23    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23)

Neither. I just have a problem when people "present" me with the wrong facts.

"ethnic cleansing" "indefinite detention" "papers" "sweeps" "aparthied" "drop offs in Nevada"

All very scary but NOT REAL.

I replied to this post presenting the pertinent facts, however the all seeing eye from the censorship department, in his wisdom, decided to delete my post. However in your reply you addressed my points and you seem to understand the situation in Arizona, which is not only limited to the inmigration law.

Oh, I'm sorry. I was talking about the subject of the thread, immigration laws.

The subject of the thread is "The real reasons behind Arizona's Immigration Law?," which is what my post was addressing. Like I said, your reply acknowledges my post, and for me that is sufficient proof that a dialogue can be had, except for the censorship of the point of view of the lonely latino in this discussion. At this point I am going to give myself a vacation because I am tired of seeing my posts deleted for whatever reasons.
 OMG!WTF!
Msg: 302
view profile
History
The real reasons behind Arizona's Immigration Law?
Posted: 5/28/2010 11:22:10 AM
but I can still be a legal entity on the street with no ID in my pocket or purse

Sure. No problem. Except if you happen to commit the teeniest, tiniest little crime. It's different in every jurisdiction, but generally speaking you can be arrested, detained, held without bail and charged if you do not identifying yourself in an investigation of any crime including otherwise ticket and release offenses. So considering that cops in AZ must provide a lawful reason to stop someone that is totally unrelated to immigration issues before any immigration investigation can begin, the person being detained would likely have to show some id anyways or risk being detained without bail until id is provided. So yes, you are totally allowed to bop around with no id as long as you're not breaking any law. And that holds true still for people in Arizona. If your concern is that cops will make something up to target Mexican Americans, that's a different issue. I think they will have their hands full without "creating more business" for themselves.
 OMG!WTF!
Msg: 303
view profile
History
Posted: 5/28/2010 1:52:49 PM

You don't understand what the law means by "ID". The law does not require anyone to carry any document, nor can the police detain someone for not carrying those documents. "ID" means "identification - When the police have reasonable suspicion, they can require someone to identify themselves; They do not require any document

Not correct. They MAY not require documentation. They MIGHT drive to your house and ask your neighbor, or phone your friend, or check your mail with your library card. They might just take your word for it too. But they might not. The reality is you have to "satisfy" any police investigation into your id. Otherwise I could say, "I'm Jesus H. Christ and I live at 140o Pennsylvania Avenue. You can call my neighbor, Moses, and ask him.", and the cops would have no choice but to believe me. Does that make sense to you?

The idea that "asking someone for their name and address" and arresting someone for not having documents that prove their citizenship comes from those who STILL can not explain why they are ignoring the constitutions' requirement for probable cause in order to perform a search.

If a cop asks question under reasonable suspicion and those questions aren't answered and if the circumstances would lead a reasonable person to believe a crime is being committed, then there is probable cause to arrest. Not having id can be a part of the "totality of circumstances" that leads to an arrest. That's just a crystal clear answer to your question. However, you have yet to explain how a law can exist if there is no such thing as probable cause to arrest anyone. If there is no probable cause to arrest a person in the states illegally, then as soon as any person crosses the border, they are automatically a legal citizen. Is that what you mean?

Another thing to consider in answering your question is that no other law on the books deals directly with being a legal citizen. For example, if I'm arrested for theft, I don't have to prove I'm a legal citizen to obtain a not guilty verdict in my trial. However, if I'm suspected of being an illegal immigrant, my citizenship is what is being directly questioned. So of course I would have to prove my status to satisfy the investigation.

I might be misunderstanding, but it sounds like we're talking about the, "It's not a problem because it doesn't really affect me; I always carry ID anyway" position

No. That's not what I'd say. But at what point would someone's right to not to prove citizenship weigh less than another person's right to not be negatively effected by illegal immigration? If there was no problem with illegal immigration, this would obviously not be an issue. But people do feel that any crime committed by an illegal is evidence that illegals shouldn't be here. Any job taken for below minimum wage effects legal citizens' pay scales. It cost AZ 2.7 billion last year to cover off the costs of providing medical attention, incarceration and welfare for illegals. Those costs were offset by only 300 million in taxes collected. It also doesn't include the money that gets sent back to Mexico, essentially taken out of the local economy...30 plus billion in wired money alone since 1999. The financial cost doesn't take into consideration the huge environmental impact in the desert due to immigration patterns. So are all those issues outweighed by one's right to not prove citizenship in the course of an unrelated investigation? I really don't know. My opinion isn't that we should or shouldn't get rid of all illegals. I just think that in my untrained opinion, the law as it is written addresses most constitutional challenges and is actually pretty fair. And if it isn't, your only option is amnesty and open borders because at some point, even if there is a clear path to legal citizenship, it's still going to come down to people having to prove their status.
 cotter
Msg: 304
view profile
History
Posted: 5/29/2010 5:50:08 AM

Guess you missed that day. The immigration law in Arizona considers a driver's license to be proof of
citizenship because in 47 states, and soon to be all states, getting a DL requires proof of citizenship.
That may be, but I DO NOT need a driver's license in order to get on my bike and go for ride or walk to
the store to buy a box of spaghetti. If I'm caught up in a "sweep" (as I have witnessed while living
in Arizona), then I would not have "proof of citizenship" and would be hauled off to jail.

In Ohio if you are stopped while driving (for whatever reason) you do not necessarily have to
have your driver's license with you. You are expected to have it, but if you (for example) accidentally
left your wallet or purse at home, you have 24 hours to produce it. How many folks are soooooo perfect
that they have never left home without their driver's license?

When I lived in Hawaii and Florida, I used to take off on my bike to the beach with nothing more than
my towel and suntan lotion. I see no reason to haul my wallet or driver's license around just to
scramble to keep it hidden on the beach while I'm out in the water.

It's unrealistic to expect people to have to carry "proof of citizenship" everywhere they go.

I maintain that the purpose of the Arizona Immigration Law is nothing more than "ETHNIC CLEANSING" ...
whether some want to admit it or not.
 cooldude
Msg: 305
Posted: 5/29/2010 11:26:40 AM

which is why that argument about what happens to you in Iran, North Korea, Cuba, Saudi Arabia, etc, if you enter illegally, is silly ; do we model our social policies on theirs in any other arena???

When we have the Obama administration apologizing to Mexico and now China, who have the worst immigration & human rights violations themselves, ( And all the people claiming ethnic cleansing ) we need to bring up the major differences between their counties and ours.

The first step should be amnesty / quick path to citizenship for the regular law-abiding (except for their mode of entry) undocumented workers who are here already.

I don't believe in rewarding illegals and give more incentive for illegals in the future. You want to bog down the immigration system for people who are trying to get in legally by adding 12 million into the mix. It is already a long waiting list and they will have to wait longer yet.
 cupani67
Msg: 306
Posted: 5/31/2010 3:39:29 PM

The first step should be amnesty / quick path to citizenship for the regular law-abiding (except for their mode of entry) undocumented workers who are here already.
I fully agree however it appears that many "Conservatives" have a different idea about what to do.

http://chattahbox.com/us/2010/04/29/gop-rep-hunter-deport-children-of-illegals-they-dont-have-american-souls/
GOP Rep Hunter: Deport Children of Illegals, They Don’t Have American ‘Souls’

April 29, 2010

(ChattahBox)—When politically charged issues like immigration reform come to the forefront, the nativists come out of the closet to stoke racial divisiveness. And the harsh Arizona “show me your papers” law has done just that. Meet U.S. Congressman Duncan Hunter (R-CA). He is in favor of deporting American-born children of illegal immigrant parents. The fact that those children are legal citizens, as clearly defined by the 14th Amendment to our Constitution, doesn’t phase the right-wing Hunter in the least. Why? Because he says those children don’t have the requisite American ’souls.”

You may remember ol’ Hunter from a previous ChattahBox post, reporting on his bizarre remarks opposing the repeal of the military’s “Don’t ask, don’t tell policy.” Hunter, said that once you allow gays to serve openly, the military would be opened up “to transgenders, to hermaphrodites.” The “military is going to let everybody in,” declared Hunter. Now, with such thought provoking remarks like that on a serious policy issue, his beliefs on immigration reform shouldn’t come as a surprise.

During an appearance at a tea party meeting last weekend, Hunter was asked about his views on the draconian Arizona anti-immigration law that institutionalizes racial profiling. The right-wing Congressman called the controversial law “fantastic.”

And when an audience member asked if he would be in favor of deporting children of illegal immigrants, he responded he would:

“I would have to, yes,” Hunter said. “… We simply cannot afford what we’re doing right now,” he said. “… It takes more than just walking across the border to become an American citizen. It’s what’s in our souls. …”

Hmm, their souls? What does that mean? Are children of undocumented immigrants not truly human in Hunter’s warped view?

It’s interesting when tea party members screech about protecting the constitution, except when they don’t agree with parts of it, such as the 14th Amendment, which clearly states: those “born … in the United States” are “citizens of the United States.”

Not surprisingly, Hunter, along with 90 Republicans, have signed on to a bill to abolish citizenship rights for children of undocumented immigrants who are born in the United States.

Watch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hX11mTOY2XM&feature=player_embedded
 sd_matt
Msg: 307
Posted: 6/11/2010 2:57:02 PM
It's quite simple.

For the majority of Arizona, and the rest of the U.S.....were sick of twenty years or more of bullsh**.

Yet why amnesty after amnesty?

The Repubs are looking out for their big business cronies that want cheap labor. The Dems want some new voters. The Catholic Church wants some more bodies at Sunday Mass. Mexico likes all the money that Miguel sends to his teo Leo. Mexico is unwilling/unable to clean up her corruption and has a hard time feeding her poor. Hell, I'll bet if ole Calderon himself even mentions the cartels and asks for help then the very next day his limbs go to the four corners of Mexico.

The Arizona law itself is, almost to a tee, a repeat of federal law. So whoever started this thread you are either a Troll or it hasn't occurred to you to read something other than the Huffington Post, get a clue, ALL the media is biased. You need to start reading between the lines.

You should ask yourself "Who is getting what out of this?"

When you do that then you figure out that the majority of legal America is taking it in the rear to the benefit of all the aforementioned. Since the majority of American citizenry is here legally, and Barry want's to get reelected you should be able to deduce why he made the gesture of sending 1200 National Guardsmen to the border.

So here's a start...let's legalize, tax and regulate pot. It would take away billions from the Cartels. After hiring all the new police need to deal with the inevitable surge of reefer madness ( for you conservatives I'm being sarcastic ) we take what's left over and beef up the border even more. It's a double whammy. Mexico has a smaller Cartel to deal with and a border that forces them do deal with their own problems.

For you leftists who believe so strongly in equality....Do you really think Mexico, if she were rich,would do for our poor what we have done for them?
 slybandit
Msg: 308
Posted: 6/21/2010 10:46:03 AM
This back-and-forth argument demonstrates a fair amount of historical myopia, on both sides of the debate.

Despite the best efforts to disguise it, this IS an ethnic question.

Let's be real, people.

It's not Laotian, or Slovenian, Haitian or Arab illegal immigrants that are the "problem". Detroit can be 1/3 Arab and it's not seceding to join Syria any time soon, and you can have twice as many Puerto Ricans in New York as you have in San Juan and it will not matter.

It's the Latin American illegal immigrants in the U.S. southwest who are the "problem" being targeted here and they're being targeted because the fundamental fact, like it or not, is that these people are an existential threat to both the future of the United States of America as a great power and to its territorial integrity as a country.

Yeah, I said it. They're a bigger threat to the U.S. than the Soviet Union ever was, and the U.S. is far less well equipped to combat that threat. This argument with Muslim radicals is a trivial footnote by comparison.

Maybe you all skipped your U.S. history classes, but most of the states that these Latin American illegals are moving into are portions of the continent that previous generations of U.S. "Americans" (because that's what the Latins-- with more justification, I might add, call themselves-- "Americanos") took from Mexico at gunpoint.

And guess what? Mexico -- or more precisely, it's people-- are quietly taking them back with a silent invasion of people whose language, culture, mentality, attitudes and **loyalties** are Latin American. And why should they be otherwise? "North" Americans never treated them as equals.

As U.S. citizens, sometimes I see your debates completely lacking the depth of historical perspective that is taken for granted in most other countries.

In Canada, we've been dealing with the "French fact" or whatever label you choose to put on it, since before the country actually was a country. It's ingrained in our understanding that if you have a linguistically, ethnically, religiously, historically and culturally distinct 'nation' of people that constitute the majority in a given area, they are inherently a threat to the unity and territorial integrity of the country. Half of our constitional arrangements are premised on that understanding.

But our 'Quebec' problem is trivial in comparison: Quebec isn't bordered by an independent and historically hostile (yes, historically hostile) nation of 111 million French speakers who think of Quebec as conquered territory.

The U.S. Southwest IS bordered by exactly that, except they speak Spanish.

So while you all agonize over chasing some Muslim evil Santa Claus over trackless wilderness in the middle of nowhere, you're ignoring the real threat.

The guy watering your lawn.

Whose grandchildren will be elected state legislators in both the U.S. and Mexico at the same time, and who will vote in a law that every state employee has to speak Spanish and English. Which will not be a problem for their relatives, because they do.

And this is no race rant: I'm a Canadian, and cheerfully live in a neighbourhood with people from nearly every corner of the planet.

And besides, if the U.S. breaks up, we'll gladly take a few northern states. Just not upstate New York-- I've heard scary stories about that, and besides, I suspect the Mohawks have dibs on it already.

You'll have to give up your handguns, learn a new anthem and apologize for those Terrance and Phillip parodies on South Park, but otherwise the transition shouldn't be too bad.
 BikerBiker53
Msg: 309
view profile
History
Posted: 9/9/2010 2:52:35 PM
I have no problem presenting my ID when asked.

Now,..its a law in Indiana that you have to show your ID to buy Alcohol, and its anoying, but, I have no problem.

If I ask for a copy of my Utility Bill, I get asked for my ID,...I got no problem with that.

If I lived in Arizona, and was faced with the huge onslaught with the illegals flowing over the border, I'd be glad that something was being done about it, instead of crying that its infringing on someones rights.

If your NOT an illegal, then ya got nothing to worry about, right ?

If you lived in Arizona, would you allow all the illegals to cross the border with no laws to stop them ?

Only in America.
 60to70
Msg: 310
Posted: 10/28/2010 11:31:17 PM
Immigrants are the only fresh blood that make any entrenched and embedded country interesting...o.k. they should respect the history and policies and etc...but in the end they always do and become an assest and then in time just like the rest of us. Which isn't saying much.
 valenciacityx
Msg: 311
Posted: 10/29/2010 6:06:28 PM
Upset that proving you are a legal resident/citizen is Soviet.....
but I am betting you love the new Obama Care national healthcare system ?.... (probably because you havent read it)

For all those that side with illegals coming over and not having to abide by the laws that every other immigrant has to; please forward your address to the State department so that we can put a tent for them in your yard, and it will be your responsibility to take care of them.

There has never been a more severe threat to the integrity of our border as there is now. Name another country that would tolerate this type of invasion.
 wisguyingb
Msg: 312
Posted: 10/29/2010 6:08:25 PM
Seems now a days it's better to be a illegal. You don't pay income tax, you can vote, you can't be drafted, and you can mooch off all the tax paying suckers (Americans).
 shylikeashark
Msg: 313
Posted: 6/10/2011 2:59:03 PM
Have you heard about Alabama's new immigration Law. They called Az SB 1070 and raised it to an all in move and even more law. You think a Boycott on Alabama will do any good? You think Rev. Jackson or Al Sharpton will show up for a protest? I don't think so.....
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 314
Posted: 6/10/2011 4:11:14 PM
If it goes even further than Arizona's law, then obviously it will be overturned as well.

The only reason these laws are enacted is to cater to the voters who wants SOMETHING to be done. It's all just window dressing. It would be dead simple to stop it - just demand that employers send in the Social Security information to be checked. It only costs about $60, and would end the employment of illegal aliens. They immigrate to get work; if they can't get work, they won't immigrate.

But that would be adding "regulation" to businesses. Funny how any law that someone doesn't like is automatically a "regulation."
 shylikeashark
Msg: 315
Posted: 6/11/2011 11:59:03 AM
Yes I would support a law that required my daughter to a test. If I had a daughter. If you think you still have any rights your just living in a dream world.
I have been pulled over and didn't have ID on me at the time. They just verify you now on a computer by a few simple questions and viola they have a picture of you and where you live and S.S.# and your whole life. It sucks. If your not in the system yet I would be worried because you soon will be or your here under false pretenses and do we really want you driving around with no insurance, registration and a fake ID and not paying your fair share of taxes.
Oh and no one seems to remember that the Native Americans didn't require ID when the Mayflower landed and look what happened to them. I'm just waiting for the Chinese to take over/buy the whole country someday and everything will come full circle anyway.
Does anybody really care????
 kari135
Msg: 316
view profile
History
Posted: 6/13/2011 10:31:39 AM

NOBODY wants to live there in the first place! Illegal immigration TO Mexico, is like inviting the pyromaniac to the barbeque.

Bah. Do some research on some of the ex-pats who retire to other parts of the world. But then, they aren't illegal immigrants - or should that be emigrants? - so they won't count. Social Security and Medicare works just fine in other places.
 vlad dracul
Msg: 317
view profile
History
Posted: 6/14/2011 8:36:28 AM
msg 15

id cards are not obligatory in the uk

hence we have thousands of illegal economic migrants who have 'vanished' into the black economy.

does every american citizen in arizona have a house? does every citizen in arizona have a job? does every citizen in arizona have a lawful right to be there?

if not then deportation is the only answer. instead of the state looking after them why dont the bleeding hearts go the extra mile and sell their houses and pay for the illegals until they have their claim processed? why not offer your spare rooms in the meantime giving americans the housing that would have been taken?
why not pay a decent wage to americans to do jobs rather than employing slave labour on the cheap to make muti nationals (both republican and democrat) rich?

infact did the usa and the uk not bomb the f**k out of serbia on easter monday so that the serbs gave kosovo back to alien albanians? what was the reason?

well the majority of kosovans were ethnic albanians.

so by that logic if california and arizona or new mexico become mainly hispanic then give those states back to mexico. its only fair. then it becomes mexicos problem.

good liberal solution there vlad if you dont mind saying so to yourself.

where does it end on the private sector paying for everyone? (and yes the state is paying me just now but i shall work again. im only getting what i payed in)

just in case you still have your head in the sand IMMIGRATION is one, if not the main problem in the world just now.

the private sector cannot keep subsidising the liberal wet dream world.

just a fact.

look at the rise of the populist/ nationalist political partys in europe.

another poster mentioned nazi and fascist, they are not the same and never will be. you may see the rise of a fascist party though.

in europe within the next 15 years.

ignoring the working tax paying people and their hopes and fears will cause this and i know who is to blame.

l*****l's
 Mr.B3D
Msg: 318
Posted: 6/15/2011 11:12:21 AM
I would dare to go deeper as to what the reason is. Laws passed for certain industries decades ago to take advantage of illegal workers. The new laws are a two fold politica bureaucratic manipulation in response to the down fall of the industries out west that took advantage of illegal workers through bureaucratic racketeering in the federal and state governments; One) it creates a smoke screen while politicians and business owners go unchecked for previous illegal activity mandated by the federal government. Laws passed behind closed doors that just undermined other laws, to create a system of slave labor. Two) the ensuing legal battles and work created in the justice system created needed jobs after the down fall from near-sighted business owners and politicians looking only for the short dollar and no concern for future economics or the environmental factors at play. Pointless racketeering or not still jobs.

Or stupid people making stupid short sighted, rash decisions for the short dollar.

All going to be debt if it all ready is not. Why so many large industries are closing up shop and moving, no-one planned ahead.

I never buy into this party that party, pfft, seriously. When both parties just keep going back and forth while getting paid for creating larger and more redundant bureaucracy while no-one in a position of responsibility to the actual laws is ever held accountable to actual law.

Seems to work, "They did it."

"Were's my kick back?"
 Imported_labor
Msg: 319
Posted: 12/17/2011 1:55:52 PM
It was only a matter of a short period of time before we got proof that some of us were correct when we said that those that were pushing Arizona's Immigration Law wanted a cover to discriminate and abuse Hispanics with impunity.

Justice Department: Arizona Sheriff Arpaio violated federal law
By Jerry Seper
-The Washington Times
Thursday, December 15, 2011

Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio, the self-proclaimed “America’s toughest lawman,” was accused Thursday in a scathing Justice Department report of violating federal law and the Constitution in his department’s handling of Hispanics it arrested and held in its jail system.

Assistant Attorney General Thomas E. Perez, who heads the department’s Civil Rights Division, said a three-year civil investigation found that the Phoenix sheriff and his deputies engaged in unconstitutional conduct and violations of federal law that jeopardized the sheriff’s “commitment to fair and effective” law enforcement

Sheriff Arpaio bitterly attacked the report during a late afternoon news conference Thursday, calling it a politically motivated assault by the Obama administration that will make Arizona unsafe by taking away his authority to keep illegal immigrants off the street.

“Don’t come here and use me as the whipping boy for a national and international problem,” he said.

The report resulted in a decision by the Department of Homeland Security to strip Sheriff Arpaio and his deputies of their authority to determine whether inmates in county jails are in the country illegally and restricted the agency’s use of a federal fingerprint program to identify illegal immigrants.

“We are going to cooperate the best we can. And if they are not happy, I guess they can carry out their threat and go to federal court,” said the sheriff, who has until Jan. 4 to determine whether he will work out an agreement with the federal government to make changes or face a lawsuit and the loss of federal funds.

The not-unexpected Justice Department report said investigators documented discriminatory policing practices including unlawful stops, detentions and arrests of Hispanics; unlawful retaliation against people exercising their First Amendment right to criticize the agency’s policies or practices, including its discriminatory treatment of Hispanics; and discriminatory jail practices against inmates with limited English proficiency by punishing them and denying them critical services.

Complete article found at this link:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/dec/15/justice-department-arpaio-violated-federal-law/

It was about time the federal government did something to protect the rights of American citizens of Hispanic descent.
 kphett484
Msg: 320
Posted: 12/17/2011 2:48:15 PM
And what about the Federal Governements abandonment of actually enforcing ITS constitutional duty to protect our borders so we wouldnt have millions of illegal aliens playing the system for billion(s) of our hard earned tax dollars?
 Imported_labor
Msg: 321
Posted: 12/17/2011 3:11:20 PM
And what about the Federal Governements abandonment of actually enforcing ITS constitutional duty to protect our borders so we wouldnt have millions of illegal aliens playing the system for billion(s) of our hard earned tax dollars?

That's laughable! The Obama administration is the only one that has made a real effort at enforcing the immigration laws. Compare it to any other administration in the last 50 years and I am sure that the Obama administration will be one of the top enforcers of the immigration laws.

Seeing how all those who don't seem to care if we even have a border are going to great lengths and making all kinds of conclusions about how Sheriff Arpaio is doing his job

In any civilized country Arpaio would be in jail, and deservedly so. I am hoping that the federal government opens an inquiry into his racket of using chain gangs to provide slave labor to his partners in business.
 Viper1E
Msg: 322
Posted: 12/17/2011 4:23:19 PM
Arizona is very quickly becoming the new safe haven for the Aryan Brotherhood..
 lacalli
Msg: 323
Posted: 12/17/2011 4:37:25 PM
It's a moot point because illegal immigration is at the lowest point in 39 years according to a WSJ article last week.
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 324
Posted: 12/17/2011 5:05:31 PM

As an imigrant from a foreign country who imigrated here legally, the reason behind Arizona's Immigration Law is because of ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS.

BS.

It is about building more prisons, as incarcerating people is a lucrative business.

...Yet a new investigation by local Arizona TV news station CBS 5 finds that the Brewer administration may have ulterior motives for its strong support of the new law. The station has found that “two of Brewer’s top advisers have connections” to private prison giant Corrections Corporation of America (CCA).

Paul Senseman, Brewer’s deputy chief of staff, is a former lobbyist for CCA. His wife continues to lobby for the company. Meanwhile Chuck Coughlin, who leads her re-election campaign, chaired her transition into the governorship, and is one of the governor’s policy advisors, is president of HighGround Public Affairs Consultants, which lobbies for CCA.

This is important because CCA currently “holds the federal contract to house detainees in Arizona.” CBS 5 notes that the company currently bills $11 billion a month to the state of Arizona and that, if SB-1070 is successfully implemented, its profits would be significantly padded as it would take responsibility for imprisoning immigrants arrested by Arizona police.*

Just Follow the money train.

* http://blogs.alternet.org/speakeasy/2010/07/27/prison-lobbyists-working-for-az-gov-brewer-are-set-to-profit-from-immigration-law-she-signed/
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 325
Posted: 12/17/2011 7:42:50 PM
11 billion? A month?

Are you sure that's right? There's less than 6 and half million people in Arizona - that's almost $2,000 per citizen per month to one company. It just doesn't sound right to me.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > The real reasons behind Arizona's Immigration Law?