Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > The real reasons behind Arizona's Immigration Law?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 HeyJenny
Msg: 176
The real reasons behind Arizona's Immigration Law?Page 8 of 23    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23)
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Society/2010/0503/Arizona-immigration-law-revised-backtracking-or-fine-tuning

The law was revised people, half of you don't even know what you're arguing about. It really isn't what alot of you are making it out to be. The officers are only doing their jobs.

I do want to make a point,those who are U.S. citizens should be precise and say exactly that. Almost everyone tends to say that they are American, while that is true , there are North Americans and South Americans. I know saying "U.S. citizen "doesn't roll off the tongue as easy but more important to clarify what you are in my opinion.
 cotter
Msg: 177
view profile
History
The real reasons behind Arizona's Immigration Law?
Posted: 5/12/2010 6:04:58 AM

America the Beautiful...the world and your country is increasingly becoming brown....and that's a beautiful thing...when are some of you going to get that? When your kids start marrying farther afield and bring home grand children that look like 'them' despite a storied family pedigree...will you get it then?
The father of my children is an immigrant ... but the immigrant (while he comes from Europe) is the same background as I am: German. I'm 5th & 3rd generation German and part Native American because my ancestor who came over during the Civil War as an indentured slave married a lovely lady from the area.

While three of my four children were born abroad I seriously doubt anyone would ever stop my children and ask them for papers because they don't fit the racial profile the Arizona law is targeting.

The new law is nothing more than targeted racial profiling. If you're out having a leisure drink with someone who falls into that category and a fight breaks out in the bar, if you don't get away before the police get there I suppose they could ask you for your papers? For sure your companion?
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 178
view profile
History
Posted: 5/12/2010 6:44:51 AM
Brewer just signed the bill into law to prohibit hispanic/latino ethnic studies in schools. Fine to study Greco/Roman philosopy, Norse mythology, Shakespeare and other fine white fare. American Indian and Black history studies are still allowed, but study the influence of Mayan culture and philosopy, latino authors..nope. No racism there on the heels of the profiling bill. According to Horne, they are not part of western culture and subversive.
http://www.truthout.org/greco-romans-welcome-arizona-schools59299

snip..
In Lak Ech - Tu eres mi otro yo - You are my other self. I am you, and you are me. If I hurt you, I hurt myself. If I hate you, I hate myself. If I love and respect you, I love and respect myself.

This is how Maria Federico Brummer's class begins at Tucson High School in Arizona. Students here, part of Tucson Unified School District's highly successful Mexican-American Studies (MAS) K-12 program (the largest in the nation), are taught this and other indigenous concepts, such as Panche Be (To seek the Root of the Truth), including other ways of measuring time (Aztec & Maya calendars).

I am there, to speak to them about the relationship among In Lak Ech, Panche Be and Hunab Ku - a beautiful Maya philosophy and human rights ethos based on maize. It affirms - contrary to what is taught in schools - that the ancient peoples of this continent were not savages, and clearly understood how the universe functioned and understood what it meant to be a human being.

Not coincidentally, academically, MAS students - many of who were doing poorly prior to entering this program - consistently outperform their peers, and it is virtually a college-bound factory.

In a parallel universe across the 10 Highway at the state capitol in Phoenix - 518 years after Columbus initiated the theft of a continent - Arizona's state Superintendent of Schools, Tom Horne has just declared, via the passage of HB 2281, that indigenous people and indigenous knowledge are still outside of Western Civilization.

In his relentless campaign against ethnic studies, Horne has just engineered the passage of a new draconian state law that seeks to ban the teaching of ethnic studies by withdrawing its funding. This is the same state that recently passed the racial profiling SB 1070 law; the primary targets would be Mexicans and Central Americans with indigenous features, suspected of being "illegal aliens."
snip..
This year's bill, HB 2281, causes the geographic dislocation of the continent.
Acting as royal cosmographer, Horne has ruled that maize (Mesoamerican) knowledge - indigenous to this continent - is subversive and not part of Western civilization or does not belong in the West or in Arizona schools. The bill falsely claims that American-Indian courses are exempt from this bill (in order to comply with federal law), though there are no federal laws that compel the teaching of American-Indian Studies. The bill also exempts African-American Studies courses - as long as they are open to everyone. This, too, is a canard because all ethnic studies courses are open to all. This attempt to exempt American-Indian and African-American courses is a clear signal that it is Mexican-American Studies that is the clear target.

By targeting MAS - Horne also sets himself up as the chief arbiter of who and what is indigenous and what is indigenous knowledge. Maize knowledge - which is the foundation of Mexican-American Studies - is also the foundation of much of indigenous knowledge throughout North, Central and South America. Apparently, Horne has decided that maize knowledge is not part of American-Indian Studies.

Through the bill, he also mischaracterizes the program by claiming that its teachers preach hate, segregation, anti-Americanism and the violent overthrow of the government. The bill sets up an inquisitorial mechanism that will monitor books and curriculum. Horne has been especially critical of Rudy Acuña's Occupied America and Paolo Freire's Pedagogy of the Oppressed. (Separately, the Arizona Department of Education has banned teachers with heavy accents from teaching English classes).

end snip..more at link.
 sweetest
Msg: 179
view profile
History
Posted: 5/12/2010 1:16:27 PM

OMG/WTF:
Once again, read the law or any other law for that matter, and understand that reasonable suspicion is all that is required for a limited search of anyone such as asking for ID. Race is not enough for a reasonable suspicion of a crime.
This law sets much higher standards for that than currently exist federally.

NBL: The Constitution say "probable cause" is needed to justify a search, not reasonable suspicion.

The folks on here that indicate that they'd have no problem showing 'papers'...I get that. But there's also little chance that many of you Non-Hispanics being routinely pulled over either.

By and large Non-Hispanics are not the target...even though the guise is to have everyone at the ready to prove their nationality.
Why spend tons of resources stopping and searching the Non-Hispanic population to find illegal Hispanics?
Sure, for some NH there will be a few token PC 'stops'...but those will be limited.

Over and over again it's going to be legal Hispanics/Latinos (or people or resemble that ethnicity...like me) who are going about their day-to-day lives that are likely to be stopped unnecessarily under some cause or another; and if you're like me, and you've only been stopped once legitimately (burnt out light) in 32 years of driving, then it's going to be hard to tell me and others like me..this ramping up isn't profiling when it clearly is. They have to narrow the funnel somehow.

Given that the state has over 120,000 illegals, the cost of determining 'probable cause' and building individual cases takes more $$$ vs casting a wide net...and 'splaing away 'the whys' after-the-fact...much cheaper...so they think...penny wise...pound foolish.

edited--and again...
 mungojoe
Msg: 180
Posted: 5/12/2010 1:32:05 PM

Brewer just signed the bill into law to prohibit hispanic/latino ethnic studies in schools. Fine to study Greco/Roman philosopy, Norse mythology, Shakespeare and other fine white fare. American Indian and Black history studies are still allowed, but study the influence of Mayan culture and philosopy, latino authors..nope. No racism there on the heels of the profiling bill. According to Horne, they are not part of western culture and subversive.

For all the protestations we have seen here about the "anti-immigrant" law being even-handed and not racilly-motivated... This act, as unrelated as it is, puts the "icing on the cake" that clearly illustrates the racist and bigotted agenda being set by the Arizona legislature... It is beyond mere 'vote grabbing pandering'... Racist is the only adjective that accurately describes it...

P.S. The new curriculum bill might make a good topic for a thread of it's own...
 cooldude
Msg: 181
Posted: 5/12/2010 1:49:36 PM

Brewer just signed the bill into law to prohibit hispanic/latino ethnic studies in schools.

What does that have to do with the Arizona immigration law? Perhaps its own thread would of been more appropriate.
 Imported_labor
Msg: 182
Posted: 5/12/2010 3:43:02 PM

Mexican immigrants are 2.5 times as likely to be on welfare as native born Americans. 2.3 times as likely to be on food stamps. 2.5 times as likely to be receiving Medicaid payments. Over 5 times as likely to receive subsidized school lunch programs. And more than 3 times as likely to be eligible for 'Earned Income Tax Credit' (EITC) payments--a staggering 53% of all Mexican immigrants. (The EITC is also a big carrot for producing anchor babies in the U.S. Even if a child's parents are deported, any uncle, aunt, grandparent or sibling can continue to receive a check for the child).

So even among Mexican immigrants who work, the amount of welfare they drain from our system is staggering. It is simply untrue that they put in more to our nation than they take out. Moreover, the fact that their use of welfare is so high even for those who WORK--shows that any "guest worker" or amnesty program would merely blow up our deficits even further. At a time of accelerating debt and staggering unemployment, can we really afford such a massive drain on our resources?

Enough! We all support LEGAL immigration. Not an unchecked, unlawful tsunami of welfare dependency. Tell your legislators to support Arizona and pass similar laws in your own state...
http://www.congress.org/congressorg/dbq/officials/

(Sources: Center for Immigration Studies, U.S. Current Population Survey)

This is a most uninformative post for the issues being discussed in this thread.

We are dealing with a law that supposedly would help to control illegal immigration. Despite the protestation that "We all support LEGAL immigration," the statistics used to disparage all Mexican immigrants don't reflect numbers associated with illegal immigration, but apply to Mexican immigrants without distinction of their legal situation.

The post is basically a rant against Mexicans.

Btw....what part of ILLEGAL do people not understand???

The part where you mixed data that doesn't distinguish between legal and illegal!!!!
 mungojoe
Msg: 183
Posted: 5/12/2010 5:11:45 PM

America: Mexico's Outsourced Welfare System

I too am wondering what that may have to do with a law that throws the most fundamental of rights held by natural born citizens out the window... A law which has the stink of racism all over it, passed by a legislature that is progressively revealing a racist agenda with each new piece of legislation...
 cooldude
Msg: 184
Posted: 5/12/2010 5:42:03 PM

That about right. When the Mexican government provides 32 paged booklets on how to cross the border, you know thats what they have in mind.
 cotter
Msg: 185
view profile
History
Posted: 5/12/2010 8:43:48 PM

I'm a Census worker here in Columbus, Ohio and we have quite a large population of Mexicans here.

I have interviewed many of them in our area (the area I am working) and my biggest problem with them is that
they are difficult to find at home for the interview ... because they're out working long hours to support
their families.

One of the questions at the end of the questionnaire addresses how they pay for the use of their living quarters ...
a) own with a mortgage
2) own free and clear
c) rent
d) live rent free or without payment.

All (without exception) I have interviewed to date are paying a mortgage. In some cases, there are two families
in a 4-bedroom home sharing the expenses of the mortgage, but they are not on Welfare as is being implied here.

I too am wondering what that may have to do with a law that throws the most fundamental of rights held by
natural born citizens out the window... A law which has the stink of racism all over it, passed by a legislature
that is progressively revealing a racist agenda with each new piece of legislation...
So very true.

I simply cannot imagine writing a legislative bill banning the teaching of any type of ethnic studies in schools
here in the US. Haven't they been marketing the US as the "Melting Pot of the World" for many, many years?
How can we be a melting pot and not teach our future (the children are the future of our nation ... right?) about
the many different (diverse) ethnic backgrounds represented here? How can you teach American History without
also studying how those different ethnic groups impacted the growth of the US from decade to decade?

What am I saying here? I can't imagine writing a legislative bill requiring (citizens) people to show their papers
to prove that they are allowed to legally be here in the US. I'm so very tempted to go get a good tan and go back to
Arizona (I still have a valid nursing license for Arizona) and see if I can get profiled ... see if they will attempt to put me
in jail while I'm in possession of my passport. I used to live in Phoenix ... I know exactly where to go in order to get
involved in some racial profiling.
 HeyJenny
Msg: 186
Posted: 5/13/2010 12:17:58 AM
This is a recent video of a L.A. teacher talking about "La Raza" to a crowd.

It's a must see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoTV9l77_UA
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 187
view profile
History
Posted: 5/13/2010 4:55:53 AM
Just as I suspected the architects of the AZ Apartheid law... John Tanton..“for European-American society and culture to persist requires a European-American majority, and a clear one at that.”
FAIR’s president, Dan Stein, has warned that immigrants are engaged in “competitive breeding” aimed at diminishing white power...
No racism here folks...

http://www.splcenter.org/blog/2010/04/28/hate-group-lawyer-drafted-arizona-anti-immigrant-law/
snip...
Arizona’s controversial anti-immigrant law was written by a lawyer at the legal arm of the Federation for American Immigration Reform (FAIR), which the Southern Poverty Law Center has listed as an anti-immigrant hate group since 2007. The law, a recipe for racial profiling, would make the failure to carry immigration documents a crime and give the police broad power to detain anyone suspected of being in the country illegally. (See statement by SPLC Legal Director Mary Bauer.)

Kris Kobach, the author of the Arizona law and a lawyer at FAIR’s Immigration Reform Law Institute, has been the prime mover behind numerous ordinances that seek to punish those who aid and abet “illegal aliens,” including laws adopted in Farmer’s Branch, Texas, and Hazelton, Pa.

The laws have not done well and have cost some localities immense sums of money to defend. Recently, the city of Albertville, Ala., refused to work with Kobach on just such an ordinance, reportedly because of the high legal costs incurred by these other communities.

Before joining FAIR, Kobach served as U.S. Attorney General John Ashcroft’s top immigration adviser. He then moved on to take charge of Department of Justice efforts to tighten border security after the 9/11 attacks. There, he developed a program — the National Security Entry-Exit Registration System — that called for close monitoring of men from Arab and Muslim nations, even legal U.S. residents. The program collapsed due to complaints of racial profiling and discrimination.

Given Kobach’s history with racial profiling, it is particularly alarming that he was tapped by Maricopa County, Ariz., Sheriff Joe Arpaio in February to train his officers. A federal grand jury investigation is under way amid a slew of complaints that Arpaio used racial profiling techniques to round up suspected undocumented immigrants. The grand jury is also reportedly looking at whether Arpaio used his office to target political opponents.
FAIR’s poison is now spreading. Legislation similar to Arizona’s has been introduced in Texas, and six other states are considering doing so.

It’s not surprising to find a group like FAIR behind this repugnant law. FAIR has an extensive track record of racism and bigotry. The group, for example, has accepted $1.2 million from the racist Pioneer Fund, a foundation established to promote the genes of white colonials and fund studies of race, intelligence and genetics. FAIR has employed key staffers who have also joined white supremacist groups; it has board members who write regularly for hate publications; it promotes racist conspiracy theories about Latino immigrants; and it has produced television programming featuring white nationalists.

FAIR has been dominated for much of its life by its racist founder and current board member, John Tanton, who has written that “for European-American society and culture to persist requires a European-American majority, and a clear one at that.” Tanton’s role model for FAIR is John Trevor Sr., founder of the racist American Coalition of Patriotic Societies and a key architect of the racially restrictive Immigration Act of 1924. Trevor also distributed pro-Nazi propaganda and warned shrilly of “diabolical Jewish control” of America. Tanton once said Trevor should serve as FAIR’s “guidepost to what we must follow again this time.”

FAIR’s president, Dan Stein, has warned that immigrants are engaged in “competitive breeding” aimed at diminishing white power. He led efforts to win funding from the Pioneer Fund, saying in 1993 that his “job [was] to get every dime of Pioneer’s money.” Stein also served as editorial adviser to Tanton’s hate journal, The Social Contract, at a time when it ran its ugliest edition ever, “Europhobia: The Hostility Toward European-Descended Americans.” The issue’s lead article argued that multiculturalism was replacing “successful Euro-American culture” with “dysfunctional Third World cultures.” Stein has declined to offer any criticism of FAIR’s founder, instead characterizing Tanton last September as a “Renaissance man.”

The principal sponsor of the Arizona law, state Sen. Russell Pearce, has his own history of hate. In 2006, Pearce forwarded an email to his supporters from the neo-Nazi National Alliance titled “Who Rules America?” The article criticized the media for promoting multiculturalism and racial equality, and for presenting the Holocaust as fact. More recently, Pearce has been photographed hugging J.T. Ready, a Phoenix-area resident who is a member of the neo-Nazi National Socialist Movement.
 davidsauvignon
Msg: 188
view profile
History
Posted: 5/13/2010 9:35:16 AM

This is a recent video of a L.A. teacher talking about "La Raza" to a crowd.

Awwww Jenny...don't ya know by posting stuff like that you'll be called a paranoid, anglo racist?

~ds~
 flyguy51
Msg: 189
Posted: 5/13/2010 10:03:09 AM
Well, not "LIFE" for cows, chickens, carrots, and Iraqi citizens, apparently, but life for people in the US-- THAT is the topic here.
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 190
view profile
History
Posted: 5/13/2010 7:28:00 PM
"a few months ago on the Michael Savage show a young white guy called 'crying' and whining about how a mexican guy told him if the job gave him a $ 1.00 more that he would take the white guy's job in a minute. Michael told the caller not to blink because the mexican would take his job for half of that $ 1.00."
Yes, Micheal Savage, that bastion of fair, balanced, and racist azzwipe, quotingish, a young white Beck wannabe cryer, born of privilege, sent to socialist schools on socialist highways, having a new car at 16, college paid for, insurance, food, books, and then FORCED on national media to sing the white boy blues, for under $60 bucks an hour. I feel your pain brother.

Lewis Black said it better.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/13/lewis-black-glenn-beck-ha_n_574659.html
Glenn Beck's antics have always proved to be great fodder for the "Daily Show." Lewis Black took it a step further with an entire segment mocking the Fox News host for his tendency to make everything Nazi-related.

Black was set off by Beck's recent complaint that critics of Arizona have played the Nazi card. Incapable of believing that Beck thought this was going too far, Black exclaimed,"This is a guy who uses more swastika props and video of the Nuremberg rallies than the History Channel."

Black went through clip after clip, showcasing how easily Beck transitions from a seemingly tame subject (like Al Gore or the Peace Corp) to Nazi analogies. He joked that it's like playing 'Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon," except "there's just one degree and Kevin Bacon is Hitler."

The only reasonable explanation according to Black? "Glenn Beck Has Nazi Tourette's."
 cooldude
Msg: 191
Posted: 5/13/2010 11:17:38 PM

I waited and waited for the speaker to address a very important issue that's facing this country (and, again, I'm only making an assumption here, but I think it must be at least similar in the U.S. by virtue of similar demographics): a "stable" replacement of the "stock/traditional immigration" model will result, within the next couple of decades, of close to the MAJORITY of the population being a bunch really OLD people (and I'll be one, if I live, so this is not a slam of oldies).

We NEED a huge influx of immigration. Even if the first-gens are strugglers, as the first gens of past "building" immigration waves were, the second- and third-gens will be the engine that runs the economy - including health-care and a social safety net for people like me (geriatric baby boomers, at that point). That is, if they aren't hounded into marginality by both laws and attitudes.

I suppose if the majority of the population were exactly the same age, then perhaps the majority would be old at a set point in time. But the total population is a variety of different ages. Even without any immigrants coming into the country, it would still have a steady growth, increasing the population. With old people being replaced by the younger generation.

The green model was using around 200K-250K immigrants coming in every year. With the one million immigrants per year, then it starts going into the red model. There was no mention of illegal immigration, just the one million legal immigrants per year. You start adding the illegals to the model, it even gets worse, actually much worse.
 cotter
Msg: 192
view profile
History
Posted: 5/14/2010 11:33:03 AM

We NEED a huge influx of immigration. Even if the first-gens are strugglers, as the first gens of past "building"
immigration waves were, the second- and third-gens will be the engine that runs the economy - including
health-care and a social safety net for people like me (geriatric baby boomers, at that point). That is, if they
aren't hounded into marginality by both laws and attitudes.

I would say too that at the rate our country absorbs so-called "legal" immigrants of a refugee status, that I
find it almost desirable to have the "illegal" immigrants who are strong and able to work rather than continuously
absorbing the "legal" refugees who generally only swarm into our country for the Welfare benefits and
educational grants they are showered with.

I have worked with the Somalian population for years and most of those I have spoken with are not really
here for any kind of religious persecution or political asylum. They have told me that they heard they could
get all kinds of freebies if that's what they "claim and so they go to a registration center in
Somalia and register that they need asylum and are put on the list to immigrate to the US.

In turn, an immigration center here gets the list of names, goes to the Welfare Department and gets
them all set up on Welfare, Food Stamps, Medicaid, and Supplemental Housing and when that is all set up
for them, then the Somalians (who are in no danger what so ever) get on a jet and fly into Port Columbus and
walk right into a fully furnished apartment, fully stocked refrigerator and kitchen ... with their Welfare Card,
Food Stamp Card and Medicaid Card in their hot little hand.

Within weeks, they then begin the process of applying for Educational grants and before long, they are enrolled in
one of our major universities here ... OSU, Otterbein, Capital, or one of our Community Colleges or schools of
nursing and they also get Taxi cards or Bus cards (for transportation) ... all paid in full. Then even if they already
have a family, they just keep reproducing and reproducing. Those babies are American Citizens and will be the
ticket for their parents and remaining family to be allowed to stay here on Welfare the rest of their lives.

American citizens do not qualify for such kindness from our government. They get to live in squalor and have
to take out student loans hundreds of thousands of dollars worth in order to get a decent education that they have
to pay back before they can even qualify to buy a home and sometimes even though they have a good job, they
can't even get qualified to buy a new car to get them back and forth ... because the student loans haven't
been paid off yet.

Anyways, if you ask me I'd rather have the type of immigrants who are willing to come here and work and pay
taxes. If it means we have to take in a few illegals ... then do it. We need people who are willing to work for what
they get and not just get on a jet and land here and live off the "freebies" that our own citizens don't even qualify for.

The real reason for the immigration law is to legalize racial profiling.
 cooldude
Msg: 193
Posted: 5/14/2010 2:10:34 PM

However, I have noticed that some supporters don't even know what the Constitution says, and have confused it with other documents they haven't read

Poster 331 beat me to it. Holder wants to file a law suit over a law he never actually read. He really put his foot in his mouth over that one. Seems he had plenty of opinions about the law before being asked about it during Department of Justice oversight hearing of the House Judiciary Committee by Rep. Ted Poe (R-Tex.).

He relied on newspapers and tv reports rather then reading it himself.

Kind of reminds me of someone else who forms an opinion, without knowing all the facts...Obama
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 194
view profile
History
Posted: 5/14/2010 3:35:33 PM
ep."
Brewer just signed the bill into law to prohibit hispanic/latino ethnic studies in schools."
cooldude
"What does that have to do with the Arizona immigration law? Perhaps its own thread would of been more appropriate."

I feel the hispanic/latino studies prohibition is very pertinent when put into the context of "breathing while Hispanic" law and previous reactionary propositions going on in AZ as the white majority sees it's conservative dominance slip away. They condescended to First Nations and black studies, but only because those ethnic minorities are not "THE" threat to the American Weigh. Eugene Robinson has a spot on take...

http://www.truthout.org/eugene-robinson-outlawing-lantinos-heritage59483
Outlawing Latinos' Heritage
Friday 14 May 2010
by: Eugene Robinson, Op-Ed
Washington - At least we don't have to pretend anymore. Arizona's passing of that mean-spirited new immigration law wasn't about high-minded principle or the need to maintain public order. Apparently, it was all about putting Latinos in their place.
It's hard to reach any other conclusion following the state's latest swipe at Latinos. On Tuesday, Gov. Jan Brewer signed a measure making it illegal for any course in the public schools to "advocate ethnic solidarity." Arizona's top education official, Tom Horne, fought for the new law as a weapon against a program in Tucson that teaches Mexican-American students about their history and culture.
Horne claims the Tucson classes teach "ethnic chauvinism." He has complained that young Mexican-Americans are falsely being led to believe that they belong to an oppressed minority. The way to dispel that notion, it seems, is to pass oppressive new legislation aimed squarely at Mexican-Americans. That'll teach the kids a lesson, all right: We have power. You don't.
Arizona is already facing criticism and boycotts over its "breathing while Latino" law, which in essence requires police to identify and jail undocumented immigrants. Now the state adds insult to that injury.
The education bill begins with a bizarre piece of nonsense, making it illegal for public or charter schools to offer courses that "promote the overthrow of the United States government." Then it shifts from weird to offensive, prohibiting classes that "promote resentment toward a race or class of people," that "are designed primarily for pupils of a particular ethnic group," and that "advocate ethnic solidarity instead of the treatment of pupils as individuals."
Is it permissible, under the new law, to teach basic history? More than half the students in the Tucson Unified School District are Latino, the great majority of them Mexican-American. The land that is now Arizona once belonged to Mexico. Might teaching that fact "promote resentment" among students of Mexican descent? What about a class that taught students how activists fought to end discrimination against Latinos in Arizona and other Western states? Would that illegally encourage students to resent the way their parents and grandparents were treated?
The legislation has an answer: Mexican-American students, it seems, should not This angry anti-Latino spasm in Arizona is only partly about illegal immigration, which has fallen substantially in the past few years. It's really about fear and denial.
About 30 percent of the state's population is Latino, and that number continues to rise. This demographic shift has induced culture shock among some Arizonans who see the old Anglo power structure losing control. It is evidently threatening, to some people, that Mexican-Americans would see themselves as a group with common interests and grievances -- and even more threatening that they might see themselves as distant heirs to the men and women who lived in Arizona long before the first Anglos arrived.
To counter the threat, solidarity among Mexican-Americans has to be delegitimized. The group itself has to be atomized -- has to be taught to see itself as a population of unaffiliated individuals. The social, cultural and historical ties that have united people across the border since long before there was a border must be denied.
Every minority group's struggle for acceptance is distinctive, but I can't avoid hearing echoes of the Jim Crow era in the South. Whites went to great lengths to try to keep "agitators" from awakening African-Americans' sense of pride and
It's important to distinguish between Arizona officials' legitimate concerns and their illegitimate ones. The state does have a real problem with illegal immigration, and the federal government has ignored its responsibility to enact comprehensive reform that would make the border more secure. But Arizona is lashing out with measures that will not just punish the undocumented, but also negatively impact Mexican-American citizens whose local roots are generations deep.
The new education law is gratuitous and absurd. Arizona can't be picked up and moved to the Midwest; it's next to Mexico. There have always been families and traditions that straddle the two societies, and there always will be. Mexican-Americans are inevitably going to feel proud of who they are and where they came from -- even if acknowledging and encouraging such pride in the classroom are against the law.
You know kids. They'll just learn it in the street.
 Imported_labor
Msg: 195
Posted: 5/14/2010 6:47:28 PM

Kris Kobach, the author of the Arizona law and a lawyer at FAIR’s Immigration Reform Law Institute, has been the prime mover behind numerous ordinances that seek to punish those who aid and abet “illegal aliens,” including laws adopted in Farmer’s Branch, Texas, and Hazelton, Pa.

Not a big surprise, really! It had to have come out of a racist group like FAIR. What I find amazing is that posters would come out praising the brilliant law professor that authored the hate law passed by the Republicans in Arizona, as if by just saying that they would give it a patina of constitutional legitimacy.

Two weeks ago it was already known that the Arizona legislature had passed the law banning ethnic studies that deal with Mexucan-American history. It is very obvious that the laws passed by the Arizona Republican legislature have one intended goal, and that it is to establish some kind of legal apharteid or ethncic cleansing. Their goal is to drive the Mexican-Americans away from Arizona so that they won't challenge the Republicans in their desire to totally control the power in that state.

They will fail!
 valenciacityx
Msg: 196
Posted: 5/15/2010 12:33:04 PM
For all of you that are against this bill (which is really reiterating the Fedearal statute that has failed to be enforced) I would recommend to you to set up back yard amnesty at your house. Put it up on Craigslist and in the paper (be sure to list it in spanish) and invite every non legal border busting foreigner come live with you at your back yard, in your neighbor hood. Enjoy your new tennants. ;) Oh and your ' neighbor' in say Oregon will say when we get to stop sending them do your doorstep.

Hell, lets start a registry, every liberal that is against this bill, get on a list to host a non citizen immigrant family. go sign up, you seem fine with the responsibility of it.... (well as long as someone else is baring that burden)
 mungojoe
Msg: 197
Posted: 5/15/2010 12:40:03 PM

For all of you that are against this bill (which is really reiterating the Fedearal statute that has failed to be enforced)

Really...?!? That's ALL it does...?

Then please, show what federal law requires natural born citizens to face the possibility of indefinite arrest for "not producing their papers" as the Arizona law does...? What federal law allows the police to stop a natural born citizen and demand "papers" as proof of being "lawfully present" as the Arizona law does...?

I really would like to see it...
 HeyJenny
Msg: 198
Posted: 5/15/2010 1:57:00 PM
http://www.keytlaw.com/blog/2010/04/anti-illegal-immigration-law-part-1/

The first thing the new law does is require that all state and local agencies and personnel refrain from not enforcing EXISTING federal laws.

The above link shows former and revised print of the law. ID can be asked for any LAWFUL STOP. Why is this such a horrible thing that you have to show your driver's license or another form of valid I.D. ? Unless you are ILLEGAL ! The link shows all the reasonable ID that would be proof enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9tIoJBhp18 Alex Jones

Alex Jones talks about a movie script called "Machete", yes, he's talking mainly about a movie but interesting to listen to.
 cotter
Msg: 199
view profile
History
Posted: 5/15/2010 2:24:02 PM

ID can be asked for any LAWFUL STOP.

So if I'm sitting in a bar (that I walked to) without my driver's license ... sipping a soft drink (which I don't need ID
for when I order) and a fight breaks out and they call the police, and I'm asked for my ID (that I can't provide at
that moment), will I be herded into a waiting paddy wagon because I can't show my ID?

Or will it suffice that I might not look "Mexican/Hispanic/Cuban" and can just simply say ... "I'm an American citizen"
and they'll take my word for it?

Why is this such a horrible thing that you have to show your driver's license or another form of valid I.D. ?

Why indeed? If I'm an American citizen I shouldn't have to walk around with my ID taped to my back just because
Arizona wants to racially profile everyone.

What if I walk to the neighborhood public swimming pool with just my swimsuit on me and my towel and someone
starts a public brawl there ... they call the police and I can't prove that I'm a citizen because I don't take my
driver's license swimming with me? Please try to be reasonable here. There's nothing reasonable about making American
citizens drag their driver's license with them ... or passport or birth certificate ... whatever form of ID they have ...
everywhere they go!!!
 late™
Msg: 200
Posted: 5/15/2010 2:29:06 PM
will I be herded into a waiting paddy wagon because I can't show my ID?

It seems that asking for papers in a German or Russian accent will no longer be the default humorous parody they used to be.

Times change, ...accents change, some things stay the same.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > The real reasons behind Arizona's Immigration Law?