Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 CountIbli
Msg: 556
The BP oil spill in the Mexican Gulf ...Page 17 of 33    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33)

Actually your logic has flaws,the first fishing boats owner that I saw interviewed,told they would make $75,000 in a single busy weekend,and at that point a month into it I believe they had been paid $35,000.You said one wasn't to be made whole, now you flipped 180 and said they should get 100%,first you argue that I complain what they are not getting is unfair,which you reply is an insane notion and now you flip and say it should be 100% of proven. Your making it hard to explain,like you haven't been listening to people talk of their losses on tv and of what they are receiving,just trace amounts.

There's no flip on my part. They need to be made whole. So let's suppose they made $75,000 per week ($300,000 for the month) before the spill. Now BP pays them $35,000 for the work they did over the course of the month. That means BP owes them $265,000, not $300,000.

Also when I said they need to prove their losses, I mean it in the legal sense of providing a preponderance of the evidence (the legal standard in civil cases).
 imalwayssmiling
Msg: 557
view profile
History
The BP oil spill in the Mexican Gulf ...
Posted: 7/20/2010 12:29:18 PM

I don't know why you think this is insane. If someone causes you financial harm and you sue him, the courts will award you money to make you whole, not to put you in a better position than you were before.
my apologies to you upon reading this again I see I read it differently the first time and I agree with your logic because the $35,000 part was working income not part of a loss.Sorry.That would change a few lines of my logic on another post or two,because it was of that assumption also.
 scorpiomover
Msg: 558
view profile
History
Posted: 7/20/2010 6:58:26 PM
RE Msg: 565 by johnconiston:
Its a bit dissapointing that BP is taking the brunt of all this. Transocean were the sub contractor and they seem to have escaped from the spotlight- perhaps becuase they dont have the cash available for everyone who seeks compensation.
Keep in mind that BP is 39% a US company but what really dissapoints me is the lazy tired political bandwagon that everyone seems to be getting on and blaming someone rather than looking at how the problems can be solved. What really needs to happen is that all Petrochemical companies need to pay a subtantial levy to fund an International disaster team with emergency preparedness as their agenda with Ships /Robots/Submersibles for all eventualities who can be mobilised wherever the disaster is and who are experienced/practiced in recovery procedures.
Don't forget that fingers were also pointed at Haliburton, who were also involved in building the rig.

The main thing about it is about blame. It hasn't been British Petroleum since it merged with Amoco (American Oil Company) in 1998, when it became BP Amoco Plc, and in 2001, it was renamed BP Plc. But Obama keeps on calling it "British Petroleum". Either everyone in the White House are idiots who don't even try to look up the names of the companies they quote, or, Obama's press crew advised him to call it a name that doesn't exist anymore, because he wants to pretend its a British company, to draw on the strong anti-British feelings that Americans still have since the American War of Independence was fought against British troops in the 1770s, over 200 years ago.

It seems to me quite surprising how much BP has bent over backwards, promising to pay for the costs of the harm that it has done, and done a huge amount already to fix it. OK, it was at least partially their fault. But when has an oil company EVER offered to pay for what its oil spills caused, other than when it was forced to. Remember the Exxon Valdez disaster? That happened back in 1989, and many of those whose livelihoods suffered, only got paid out in 2008, almost 20 years after.
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2008478462_exxon07.html

So I think that BP is trying to fix its problems.

Don't get me wrong. I don't think that BP is that nice. I just think they realise that Americans buy 50% of the oil sold, and so the last thing they want is to find that Americans won't buy oil from BP. So they are trying to be nice to Americans.

However, I don't think that Obama is making the situation any better. He's just hyping Americans up with anti-British rhetoric, to keep the pressure off American companies. But eventually American journalists are going to start asking questions. When they do, Americans are going to start reading more and more about American oil business corruption and cover-ups by the US government to protect American corporate interests, and that's going to make most of America just hate Obama.
 CountIbli
Msg: 559
Posted: 7/20/2010 9:13:17 PM

The main thing about it is about blame. It hasn't been British Petroleum since it merged with Amoco (American Oil Company) in 1998, when it became BP Amoco Plc, and in 2001, it was renamed BP Plc. But Obama keeps on calling it "British Petroleum". Either everyone in the White House are idiots who don't even try to look up the names of the companies they quote, or, Obama's press crew advised him to call it a name that doesn't exist anymore, because he wants to pretend its a British company, to draw on the strong anti-British feelings that Americans still have since the American War of Independence was fought against British troops in the 1770s, over 200 years ago.

I'm still pretty pissed about the Stamp Act of 1765.

However, I don't think that Obama is making the situation any better. He's just hyping Americans up with anti-British rhetoric, to keep the pressure off American companies. But eventually American journalists are going to start asking questions. When they do, Americans are going to start reading more and more about American oil business corruption and cover-ups by the US government to protect American corporate interests, and that's going to make most of America just hate Obama.

That's the most ridiculous thing I ever heard. American journalists asking questions. It'll never happen.
 imalwayssmiling
Msg: 560
view profile
History
Posted: 7/20/2010 9:22:06 PM

However, I don't think that Obama is making the situation any better. He's just hyping Americans up with anti-British rhetoric, to keep the pressure off American companies.
Brits are our countries friends,I really fault what you said ,I have not heard any Dem or republican that has said anything about a Brit.Please give links of such racism,prove your rotten tomato throwing claim.
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 561
view profile
History
Posted: 7/21/2010 5:01:29 PM
The death toll will be accumulating for years, if not decades. We've been through this before. "People are running around like chickens with their heads cut off."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/world_news_america/8740073.stm
 scorpiomover
Msg: 562
view profile
History
Posted: 7/23/2010 12:55:23 PM
RE Msg: 568 by imalwayssmiling:

However, I don't think that Obama is making the situation any better. He's just hyping Americans up with anti-British rhetoric, to keep the pressure off American companies.
Brits are our countries friends,I really fault what you said ,I have not heard any Dem or republican that has said anything about a Brit.Please give links of such racism,prove your rotten tomato throwing claim.
Maybe I have it wrong. That's the way things have been portrayed over here, both in the British media, and by British politicians, and from what I can see, on these forums, in this thread.

I'd love to be wrong, though, because it is a big worry for Brits, that the "special relationship" between the US and the UK, as the media calls it, has gone sour.

If you can provide me some sources, or even just some personal experiences, that can show that the American people are blaming BP, but NOT British people, then by all means, provide anything you can. I'd be happy to change my views, given even a small amount of evidence.

I also know that it's a concern for many Brits, and it would be very much appreciated by British people if you could post on British forums that most Americans do NOT hold the British people responsible for this debacle, or BP for being a British company, and the only people you hold responsible are the companies involved.
 imalwayssmiling
Msg: 563
view profile
History
Posted: 7/23/2010 1:58:54 PM
Oh my friend,I thought BP was an American company,I only learned a name I have known forever BP,means British Petroleum,as they mentioned after the spill.Up to that point BP was all I needed to know,what its Initials stood for was of no interest to me. Even then it still meant nothing what country the home office was in,it was Haywards lack of believable compassion,shallow promises and the same crap we have always got from any big oil company,whom ever owned then.Even as he did commercials of how he'd make every thing alright,the word from the fisherman was it was 60 days later and most received nothing,now the story is like 100 days into it,cleanup workers haven't been paid in 30 days.

I have not heard anyone bad mouth a Brit,swear to God,can't offer a link if I know of no one,and since we are you talking, the first I ever heard of this was some by a couple upper office brits ,they showed us on tv, they literally was saying this had to do with the fact the the company is British,that was the only time I heard anything,they were British higher ups.

I wondered where they even got that thought,just because we are pissed at BP has nothing to do with the people.I have wanted all my life to visit all the wonderful places there,and England,and such places also,for most the country here,those are dream vacations we all want to take someday.Besides for me,the Beatles and the Rolling Stones and such are like gods to many of us.I always thought we were close allies and good friends,you'd have to prove me wrong,since I've heard nothing,and after all many people in this country are very very vocal on whom they do not like.So in that case I'd think I would have heard something.
 imalwayssmiling
Msg: 565
view profile
History
Posted: 7/23/2010 3:47:36 PM
Well whether I watch CNN or read the Wall street journal,these are the typical stories I always see,this is an everyday news item,odd you don't hear the same stories,but hey glad you know someone getting paid,sure,some are getting paid something,but we are not talking of the smaller percentage that is getting something,heres 8 different sorts of recent stories of the have nots,all for different reasons. One could not list all the stories I easily find.

1# BAYOU LA BATRE, Alabama - Thousands of Gulf Coast fishermen are having trouble getting reimbursed for lost wages. Many of them were paid in cash for years--under the table and away from the scrutiny of the IRS.

Now the tragedy of the oil spill is being made worse by the fact that they do not have the documentation BP requires for them to make claims against the company for lost wages.

It is especially true among the Asian community in towns like Bayou La Batre. The organization Boat People SOS says it is doing all it can to help. BP has agreed to allow affidavits from vessel captains in lieu of tax returns and W-2's as evidence of a fisherman's income. However, boat captains would essentially be signing a document admitting to evading taxes--not something many are prone to do.

2# "We're on strike, so we're not going to work," Jules Dag told WDSU, an NBC affiliate in New Orleans. "I'm not living on no quarterboat," Dag said. "When I signed up, the agreement was we lived at a motel or somewhere they supplied us to live."

Dag said that some workers have no choice but to accept lodging at a flotel because they've yet to be paid and have depleted whatever savings they had as a result.

"We ain't been paid yet," Dag said. "We've used almost everything we got to live out here already. Forty days, we ain't seen nothing yet. What we supposed to do for money?"

3# Submitted by KC Kelly Ph.D. on 2010-07-08

Over five hundred fisherman stretching from Lake Charles to Moss Point, Mississippi were very unhappy yesterday, as BP did not send them their promised payment for work they have done. They were supposed to receive checks from BP, but did not. This actually came as no surprise considering BP's horrible track record of taking care of their responsibilities in a respectful way.

Due to non-payment by BP to the fisherman they owe, the disgruntled, hired lawyers to fight for their money. One attorney, Jeffrey Briet, alone, represents more than 500 fishermen who work either directly or indirectly for BP. Briet said that the payment system he set up with BP "required his clients to be paid every 30 days. Now that process has suddenly changed without warning".

Briet stated, "Not only did they spring it on us that the process has changed, but the people I've been dealing with for six weeks who've done a good job said, 'We don't know what the process is going to be. We're not authorized to talk to you about it. Someone from BP will contact you.'"

4#MOBILE, Alabama - Anger is boiling over in Bayou La Batre. Some local fishermen and shrimpers are fed up with BP. They staged a protest Wednesday morning, and one out-of-work fisherman was arrested.

Brent Buchanan was handcuffed and put in the back of a patrol car, charged with "interfering with police activity." He organized a protest of dozens of fisherman, to block the Bayou La Batre Channel. The protest made it difficult for BP to move their boats out to Mobile Bay. Police asked him to have others move their boats. He said he could not do that, and was ticketed.

The group claims BP is hiring out of state fisherman to lay boom, while their nets sit idle. Misty Duval and her husband are commmercial fishmerman who are adamant they don't want a handout. "We need to go to work. We need for them to care that we have families.We need to take care of our families instead of pushing us off like we are nobodies."

The protesters waited for BP to answer their questions Wednesday, but they say officials did not show up as promised.

5#Louisiana fishermen, thrown out of work by the massive oil spill that has closed coastal waters, are jockeying for jobs to contain the mess. But just who gets those jobs is a source of mounting tension. Some workers are getting paid to go out on the water multiple days in a row, while others aren't allowed to go out at all, according to some fishermen.

They said that BP, which had promised to pay each fisherman $5,000 a month for compensation, is dallying on handing out checks. And they said that men who haven't fished in years are getting paid to work on prevention teams, even though they're not affected by the oil spill.

"It's all about who you know," said fisherman Oliver Rudesill, who was sitting in the shade beside the St. Bernard Parish home of a friend on Sunday. He has not earned a cent since the spill started, he said, while others are making hundreds of dollars a day.

6#The frustration stretches to other locations, including Plaquemines Parish, where Acy Cooper, vice president of the Louisiana Shrimp Assn, said that only about a quarter of the men who want to work are getting hired. "How can I sit back and watch some boats go out while others don't?" he said, standing on a dock and looking across at the commercial fishing boats nearby.

Fishermen in Plaquemines are starting to point fingers. They talk about back-room deals cut -- trading shrimp for the ability to go out and conduct cleanup operations. There, captains with boats over 45 feet can make $2,000 a day, some of which they have to divide with their crew. "Everybody wants to go out, but we can't make a dollar," said Kip Rhoto, a fisherman cleaning his boat on a slow day in the Venice harbor.

7#Wed - Jul 07 2010
BP and the fishing business in Orange Beach
Everyone is thinking that BP is paying us, and lots of money at that, but just so you know, at this time I have still not received one dime from BP for my business. In fact, I have only had one follow up phone call from them, letting me know that they got my claim.

8#Shrimpers, oystermen, seafood businesses, out-of-work drilling crews and the tourism industry all are lining up to get paid back the billions of dollars washed away by the disaster, and tempers have flared as locals direct outrage at BP over what they see as a tangle of red tape.

"Every day we call the adjuster eight or 10 times. There's no answer, no answering machine," said Regina Shipp, who has filed $33,000 in claims for lost business
at her restaurant in Alabama. "If BP doesn't pay us within two months, we'll be out of business. We've got two kids."

An Alabama property owner who has lost vast sums of rental income angrily confronted a BP executive at a town meeting. The owner of a Mississippi seafood restaurant said she is desperately waiting for a check to come through because fewer customers come by for shrimp po-boys and oyster sandwiches.

Some locals see dark parallels to what happened after Hurricane Katrina, when they had to wait years to get reimbursed for losses.

"It really feels like we are getting a double whammy here. When does it end?" said Mark Glago, a New Orleans lawyer who is representing a fishing boat captain in a claim against BP.

BP spokesman Mark Proegler disputed any notion that the claims process is slow or that the company is dragging its feet.
 imalwayssmiling
Msg: 567
view profile
History
Posted: 7/23/2010 5:16:47 PM
I know what your saying Paul and I tried to show a broad spectrum of the have nots,seeing there are a lot of different situations.I felt it unfair to not show those really deserving and those sad sacks that did not pay a tax.As for the tax dodgers thats our Arizona problem also,where as we are cracking down on businesses hiring illegals but there's probably as many being hired by most all the citizens as maids,babysitters,landscapers,pool cleaners,ect. seems so many here seem able to protest with a bull horn on the illegals yet still have illegals do there yard.
 imalwayssmiling
Msg: 569
view profile
History
Posted: 7/23/2010 6:59:11 PM
No Paul ,dead against 1070,want the illegals controled ,but against 1070,its not that most of it is already federal law anyways,its the few details that let the racist part in that ruin it,it not written well.Its also that our states Republican Governor and republican senator McCain has given very misleading false facts that inflamed so many legals into buying into her fight,believing it on their word.

Its all over the news now straight out of our Border Patrols fact book ,our Police public crime record,showing their McCain/Brewers crime facts are false,serious crimes are down like 39% since like 2003,and since 2003 illegal border crossings are down 49%,infact the published statistics show our border has never been safer.This shows our past Democratic Governor Janet Neopolitano was doing all the right stuff even though we all knew we needed more,records show each year was a progressive improvement,nothing happened overnight.

Its also at this moment being shown the her cabinet includes two high ranking people were in charge of our multi million dollar prison system thats makes that state millions,the two senior people are now lobbyists pushing through 1070 with her and McCain.

Let it be known McCain has always publicly been against the border fence,now that Obama is in office McCain is the one on the tallest pulpit,and why is 1070 so important according to these two,because of the numbers,which as I have previously explained are 100% false.Arizonians deserve the truth not extreme exaggeration.We have an illegal problem and it should be addressed with actual factual statistics not bull.

Note,since Brewer has started this 1070 she is considered a shoe in to be re elected,yet before 1070 we disliked her much because our state is broke and she has done all the wrong moves to improve it,she only slipped in because we lost Janet,she was NOT voted in,no talk of our economy is happening now that 1070 is here,so for her and her career,its all working out fine.
 mr.evil
Msg: 570
Posted: 7/23/2010 9:02:10 PM
Having just returned from the gulf, I can tell you it's an interesting place.

BP is out in force, they have hired Wakenhut guards, to keep people from the worst hit areas, not only civilians, but reporters as well. Small towns have become like the old west, with people being imported from places I know not where from.

They are the 'scum of the earth', working for minimum wages cleaning the top off the beaches, at night they go into the towns to get drunk, start fights, and worse. I'm sure we will read of some murder, mayhem and other things before long.

BP's spin doctors are out donating to EVERY campaign, trying to "buy" a sympathetic ear, where ever they can. Some of them are worse than the "Watergate" kinda folks.

Nobody really knows whats going on.

They are keeping wraps on this so tight it would make your head pop.

Oil has not reached Florida's west coast yet, although the panhandle is getting hit pretty good. The current huricane or tropical depression this weekend could change that quite a bit.

As for the Bush/Obama debate that has raged the last 2 pages! Hahahaha!!!! IMO, they both are no 'bag of chips', but clearly Bush was farrrrrrrrrrrrrr worse. If not for anything else, because of what Bush let Cheney do!!!!

Bush was a moron, and Cheney a thief and liar. If you can't believe this, your an azzhole. Just watch the movie "Gasland" on HBO, or rent a copy. You can argue the opinions all you want, you CAN'T change the facts. Cheney helped arrange the rape of America, poisoned the water of 100,000's.

If you can step back from your political stance and party for a minute. Look at Bush's record. He took more vacation than any other president in HISTORY! He was responsible for 9/11, it happened on his watch, 9 months into his presidency, started 2 wars not involved with the bombers. Enacted the 'Patriot Act' taking away forever civil liberties, that will eventually be used against us. Was responsible for changing the rules under which the EPA, SEC, MMS and a slew of other agencies operate under( by the way, he did this without benefit of law, just executive order). He enacted tax cuts that benefitted the top 2% of the nation for 10's of thousands of dollars, while giving the middle class $300! Worst of all the real estate debacle happened on his watch.

Obama maybe a 21st century version of "slick willy" but he has done some good things too. I say the "jury is still out" because he is 2 years into his presidency, we can see in totality what Bush did in 8 years.

I've got to question some of your motives when you ascribe so much good to the republicans, as though they would do anything beyond stepping over your dead body's if they had the chance.
 imalwayssmiling
Msg: 573
view profile
History
Posted: 7/23/2010 10:57:56 PM
Drop it,this is a BP thread,Because of this racism entire states are refusing to do business with us,suddenly we have Aryan racists coming to town to support the governor,thats a first, and donate money to her cause,suddenly we have Aryan type volunteering at the border,concerning the police that they are carrying guns,playing the good guy vigilante,all of a sudden we are have tourist losses thats are becoming very noticable,many conventions that mean big bucks to our desperate city have been canceled due to the 1070,so far the only states supporting us are the usual states one would assume would embrace this ,odd half the population here thinks its racist.

Talk to the mexicans here that grew up here and are legal having to be harassed and in trouble if they cannot prove citizenship when they run to 7Eleven for a minute to get a pack of smokes .

Basically , and no surprise Sarah Palin and the tea party super support it,like that's a surprise. Its a BP thread,you brought this up I don't wish to debate this here ,I refuse to give you proof to something so well documented on the news daily,anyone in this country knows half the country views it as racist, my brother whos a cop here says half the force seems opposed to it and guess what half love it,duh.

Look, I had to show proof to you about something thats constantly in print and on the news daily as if you don't hear it and didn't realize,that thousands are receiving nothing from BP,you already knew this,,fat chance I will send you reams of proof that half the country also believe its racist,give me a break your state tried to boycott our entire state because they thought it was racist !

Of course I want the illegals dealt with,but on a national level,we're the United States not the divided states as we always play it out,One law for all the states,this is bull ,go to a prositute in one state ,get a record ,go to jail,lose your school loans because of your arrest,go to Vegas and its perfectly legal,we are the DIVIDED STATES OF AMERICA,and should change our title,there is nothing United amoungst the states.

Immigration,its a very well known fact with immigration people that most the illegals are here legally,when their travel visas expired they just didn't go home,a much lesser number walks across a desert,yet we try to build some super offensive trillion dollar fence across the entire South,wow,Canada has nothing,lets build a 30 foot tall fall at the water line all up the California coast and Oregons coast too,so they can't boat in,Then all across Canada,then the East coast,then lets build a roof over the country so they can't fly in illegally ,hey,waste enough money on a fence its gives the appearance something good is happening,smoke and mirrors,thats all it is.

if your from most other countries ,travel here or getting legal work permits is a snap,so why the indifference .This is a paperwork problem,not a fence problem. Interviewed Mexicans constantly state they they would love to do this legal,but its impossible,and its true,my friend spent 6 months doing paperwork to the governments of US and Mexico to allow her parents to visit her here,it finally took a letter from the mayor that worked,thats such bull,if I want to travel,I get on a plane with my passport that was a snap to get,

Look we stole this entire country from the Native Indians and the Mexicans then built the railways and industries using enslaving Chinese and blacks we kidnapped,now that we planted pretty flowers and have it just the way we like it,the least we can do is share it. Is that too much to ask,or are we thinking now of stealing Mexico too.Lets get Canada also,oh are we civilized now,righhhhhht
 CountIbli
Msg: 575
Posted: 7/24/2010 2:46:22 PM

Its all over the news now straight out of our Border Patrols fact book ,our Police public crime record,showing their McCain/Brewers crime facts are false,serious crimes are down like 39% since like 2003,and since 2003 illegal border crossings are down 49%,infact the published statistics show our border has never been safer.

I wonder how much of that is do to unemployment rates. The illegals won't come if there are no jobs. Hmmm...maybe that's Obama's plan to keep the illegals out.
 indigo1357
Msg: 576
Posted: 7/24/2010 8:32:06 PM
If only the freedom movement was as organized and driven as the global government movement, this would be the perfect disaster to ram the need for hemp and alternative energy home once and for all. But we all dropped the ball and the secret agenda boys win yet another battle.
 imalwayssmiling
Msg: 577
view profile
History
Posted: 7/24/2010 10:43:50 PM

I wonder how much of that is do to unemployment rates.
in this last year it has a lot to do with it,but before that it had nothing to do with it.One always saw the masses of illegals on each corner waiting for trucks to pick them up to offer them construction work.The crowds never lessened until they cracked down with a blanket attack of if they are Mexican stop them and ask for proof,that's when the tens of thousands of legal Mexican American Arizonian citizens went up in arms,because then if you were Mexican you got stopped and lots of people were detained jeopardizing there jobs and just being basically guilty unless they could proof themselves.That's 1070,not how its supposed to be , how it is being practiced.Guess some here don't think that's profiling and profiling apparently isn't racism in their eyes.

BP,glad the storm never hit and the boats are heading back out,I was afraid the storm might be bad and take out more beach and more marsh,bullet dodged.
 mr.evil
Msg: 578
Posted: 7/24/2010 10:57:16 PM
Whoa whoa whoa!!!!

"until they cracked down with a blanket attack of if they are Mexican"

Sorry, AHHHHHH!!! Wrong answer!!! If your in my country illegally, then they SHOULD NOT allow you to congregate, to obtain illegal jobs.

I could care less if you come from Mexico, Hondorous, Panama or the fuking south pole!!! I can't help what happens in your country, what form of government you selected, what laws are enforced. I only care about what happens with regard to citizens of the USA!

Now I don't have the answers for the immigration policy going forward for this country, but the law is the law. Arizona maybe wrong in how they are treating Latinos, but that does not excuse someone from coming here illegally to work.

Get back on point people! This is about BP, not taxes, immigration, or any other issues, JUST the spill.
 imalwayssmiling
Msg: 579
view profile
History
Posted: 7/25/2010 8:34:06 AM
Hoping BP can finish those relief wells,we are very close,it encouraging to see handfuls of visitors fishing,that was a surprise to me,and not to downplay the tragedy,a story was written a while back of how many estimated gallons of water the gulf holds and how much of oils in it,I at least was mildly encouraged by the fact that the gallons of oil is a trace amount compared to the ocean water,atleast its able to be very diluted,thats promising ,its a shred of hope,and offers hope for a quicker recovery,which I must admit not having the answers,just feel thats hopeful.
Sorry, AHHHHHH!!! Wrong answer!!! If your in my country illegally, then they SHOULD NOT allow you to congregate, to obtain illegal jobs.
agreed but I was objecting to all those driving down the road,and your stopped because 4 Mexicans are in a car,its not done by all cops it done by the radical cops.Having cops now and in the past in the family I'm very aware that this divide exists within the bureau.Its kind of a no brainer,15 to 30 Mexicans on a corner soliciting under the table work is highly suspicious,and on a few key streets I can think of it looks like that on each block for up to a mile.That has dwindled to almost nothing now,but the car pull over have not,they have escalated.
 algha
Msg: 580
Posted: 7/25/2010 9:42:49 AM
I feel that this is a bit out of proportion, in relation to past corporate failure, especially in the light of the banking swindle, in which BP has taken the spotlight off those fraudsters.

I am not taking sides but where does this disaster fit into a historical context, and what is even handedness these days after banking scandals still continue.

11 people were killed in the accident on the oil rig leased by BP, resulting in 4 Presidential visits, a $1.6Billion clean up and the establishment of $20 billion compensation fund in two months.

15,000+ people killed in accident in Bhopal India owned by Union Carbide resulting on no presidential visits, no clean up, generations of physical deformities, and $470 Million compensation in 25 years.

$7 Billion compensation paid out by US government to families of victims of 9/11

$1 Billion Dividend to be paid out to shareholders by TRANSOCEAN, owners and operators of the rig, approved a month after the accident.
 scorpiomover
Msg: 581
view profile
History
Posted: 7/25/2010 10:25:20 AM
RE Msg: 571 by imalwayssmiling:
I have not heard anyone bad mouth a Brit,swear to God,can't offer a link if I know of no one,and since we are you talking, the first I ever heard of this was some by a couple upper office brits ,they showed us on tv, they literally was saying this had to do with the fact the the company is British,that was the only time I heard anything,they were British higher ups.
Good to know, because that's not the way the media and politicians are spinning things in the UK.

Nice to know that it's the politicians and the media who are the hate criminals, and not the people. Reaffirms my faith in human nature, and lets me know who is really cooking the books here.

I wondered where they even got that thought,just because we are pissed at BP has nothing to do with the people.I have wanted all my life to visit all the wonderful places there,and England,and such places also,for most the country here,those are dream vacations we all want to take someday.Besides for me,the Beatles and the Rolling Stones and such are like gods to many of us.I always thought we were close allies and good friends,you'd have to prove me wrong,since I've heard nothing,and after all many people in this country are very very vocal on whom they do not like.So in that case I'd think I would have heard something.
Please do. You'll find that as long as you are open-minded, polite, and tolerant of others, it's a very nice place to visit.
 scorpiomover
Msg: 582
view profile
History
Posted: 7/25/2010 10:34:55 AM
RE Msg: 575 by johnconiston:
The relationship was soured thanks to good old George W. then again thats when Tony Bliar lost all credability with the British electorate when they colluded and and took both of our countries into a dishonest war.
Just today, someone was on TV stating that Blair should be up on war crimes. To many British people, he's the most evil Prime Minister our country ever had. So really, don't hold the British people to blame for him.

Obama did show promise as someone Britain could work with but he has shown himself to be of less substance and more of the showman. where the old question of " wheres the beef?" would find him lacking.
His healthcare bill seemed to be a good idea. But he's been showing far less well-thought-out and properly courageous plans when it has come to the banks with the Credit Crunch, and the oil companies with this one. A lot of hot air, but not much substance.
(A British view)

But lets getaway from the ambulance chasers and the inquisition. whats need is solutions and support - are Exxon helping, Mobil, Texaco, helping for instance? I doubt it. since the modern perception seems to be if you are part of the solution then you must have been part of the problem!
I quite agree. But to me, they ARE part of the problem, as they've probably done the same, somewhere else, like Exxon with the Exxon Valdez, and if they haven't yet, you can bet they will. They work together. So what one has done, they all knew about, and agreed with.

I think that Obama and Cameron should make them ALL shoulder the blame. Then they'll be in the "buddy system". Then they'll know that if that if they let any oil company get close to causing such a slick, like BP clearly did, and something goes wrong, like happened with BP, they'll have to pay. So they won't let ANY oil company get even close to doing it again.
 mr.evil
Msg: 583
Posted: 7/27/2010 12:05:50 PM
Well a couple of adds to the story:

First in reference to Exxon, sign of the double cross and the other companies. They recently formed a company with a contribution of $1 billion dollars by the group, for the forming of a rapid response team in answer to future spills. The group includes Chevron, Royal Dutch/Shell, Exxon and one other company, NOT BP.

Today I feel like a character from "The Wizard of OZ"! Ding dong the witch is dead, which ol witch, the wicked witch!!

Yes Tony "I want my life back" Hayward is out as CEO. Although as usual, the company hedged it's bets, allowed the lowlife to stay with the company, but sent him to fuk up Russia's ecology, why not, they don't care what spills anyway. Makes sense!

The appointment of an American from Mississippi to the spot of CEO, just seems to pat, it seems more of another spin play by the evil empire of BP. Especially given he was ousted from running that same Russian division that Hayward will assume command of.

Thank Gawd the cap is holding on the well. One can only hope they are right that they will be able to shut it altogether in August, depending on storms.

On a seperate note, I am sure most of my fans will be glad to know, I will be leaving POF sometime in the near future.
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 584
view profile
History
Posted: 7/27/2010 3:50:26 PM
Best wishes Mr. Evil...You will be missed.

Another spill today..Boat hit a well head.
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/boat_crashes_into_oil_well_creating_5UBlWaaOCTHB7KzlGfWTPO?sms_ss=facebook
And on the Kalamazoo River in Michigan..
http://www.freep.com/article/20100727/NEWS06/100727024/1318/

Does anyone know the half-life of concrete and metals underwater? We currently have "Concrete growth" in the lock and probably in the dams of the Tennessee Valley. There is a concern over eventual disaster as the concrete degrades. Will we be seeing hundreds or thousands of well caps and plugs degrade sometime in the future leading to something that makes this debacle look tiny?
 imalwayssmiling
Msg: 585
view profile
History
Posted: 7/27/2010 4:15:16 PM
Good point earthpuppy,they said a while back those abandoned wells could last forever,we all know that's make believe.We have to many situation where we have watched concrete structures above ground fall apart over the decades.We watch tv shows of abandoned places like cherynobyl fall apart and other such abandoned building due to natural weather patterns.

Just think what happens when concrete is under water soaking in salt water under high pressure !

Why do we take these fairy tales from these people with a grain of salt,when they state them,I know I heard no governmental or public outcry disputing this,your correct ,as with dams and bridges,those caps will fail,its not an if, its a when!
 .dej
Msg: 586
view profile
History
Posted: 7/28/2010 12:13:16 PM
It's actually the pressure that holds them in place and tight.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >