Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 mr.evil
Msg: 222
The BP oil spill in the Mexican Gulf ...Page 6 of 33    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33)
The latest and greatest news seems to be, since they cut off that piece of the well head, there is an increase in the flow of oil, further that it maybe that it is flowing from multiple sources now, unrelated to the pipe itself.

Boy am I glad Obama is leaving this to the "experts" at BP!!

But some good news as well, BP is "donating any profits" from oil recovered in the disaster, well that will help us all sleep better tonight! Of course that is not to mention that Mr. Heyward wants to get back to "his life", God I wouldn't want to impose upon him, sh1t, I'm sure he is much more stressed than the families of the dead, or the people who's businesses have been ruined, lives put in chaos or the city of New Orleans which has not recovered yet from Katrina.

While I'm no Obama fan, I guess they will lay this at his feet, rather than Bush and Cheeny who raped and pilaged their way to profits for Haliburton!
 *Just Jim*
Msg: 223
The BP oil spill in the Mexican Gulf ...
Posted: 6/9/2010 5:32:38 AM

But some good news as well, BP is "donating any profits" from oil recovered in the disaster, well that will help us all sleep better tonight!

Yes, that most definitely will make it all better! lol Or...........

And if I can be the devils advocate for a moment, lets say tomorrow, that BP starts selling there gasoline,petrol for $2.00 a gallon how quickly would the general public forget what happen in the gulf?
 CountIbli
Msg: 224
Posted: 6/9/2010 6:57:15 AM

Boy am I glad Obama is leaving this to the "experts" at BP!!

From what I've heard the government has been involved in every decision made since the leak started. Every decision has been agreed upon by the government. Maybe the problem is that the government isn't leaving it to the experts.
 xlr8ingmargo
Msg: 225
Posted: 6/9/2010 7:05:24 AM
^^^ You hit the nail on the head there.
 xlr8ingmargo
Msg: 226
Posted: 6/9/2010 7:05:36 AM
^^^ You hit the nail on the head there.
 Island home
Msg: 227
Posted: 6/9/2010 7:23:34 AM
^^^The way i understand it
the usa is
governed by the people for the people
 xlr8ingmargo
Msg: 228
Posted: 6/9/2010 8:26:30 AM
Yeah right~ Our Constitution went out the window when corporate law took over our nation.
 xlr8ingmargo
Msg: 230
Posted: 6/9/2010 10:39:40 AM
I cant help but feel the way I do with this mess. Whats up indeed.
 *Just Jim*
Msg: 232
Posted: 6/9/2010 5:24:00 PM

Democrats have put forward a bill to raise the liability cap to $10 billion (the current cap is $75 million). Expected cleanup is estimated to be in excess of 15 billion. I'm sure that's a really lowball estimate too, not that anyone can really put a price tag on the ensuing environmental damage from an international perspective. Sealife doesn't just stay within the boundaries of the Gulf coast after all.

Senate Democrats have tried twice to bring up the measure under unanimous consent, but were twice blocked -- first by Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska) and then by James Inhofe (R-Okla.)

Say it isn't so! lol The same politicians did the same thing in blocking a bigger fine against Monsanto,Dow, aka Agent Orange producers.
Enjoy your GMO soybean seeds,arsenic feed chickens & high corn fructose folks! And the beat goes on.....
 xlr8ingmargo
Msg: 233
Posted: 6/9/2010 5:51:53 PM
You forgot G.E. and PCB's that are in the Hudson river valley for ever too.
Thats why I get so frustrated and say the things I do.
 Island home
Msg: 234
Posted: 6/9/2010 6:29:36 PM
It seems only planning for success has its negative side
 Ubiquitous.
Msg: 235
view profile
History
Posted: 6/9/2010 6:32:49 PM
Anyone paying attention to BP's stock price? It's been sinking as fast as Deepwater Horizon. They've lost nearly $100 billion in market value.

Haven't had time to keep up with this thread. Is the consensus still that BP has little to no incentive to stop the leak? That "they only care about the money honey."

The two aren't mutually exclusive. That is if the relevant governments are enforcing what are called property rights. If a person or company causes damage to property that is not its own, it has reparations to pay.

What I'm worried about is BP filing for bankruptcy to shed these obligations, then come back with a "clean slate" so to speak.

I laugh at anyone who would "blame" BP for doing that. If they can get away with it, you can expect them to do so. It's the government that allows them to escape what would otherwise be their obligations in a free market economy. And it's the government that uses the police and military to prevent the harmed parties from taking claim on damages.

I would still boycott BP if they did that. But my god, the guiltiest party would be our government. In my opinion.

I've said it before and I'll say it again (because I fear this is a real possibility) if we really want to prevent this from happening again, we NEED to pressure our representatives to hold BP and the other responsible parties accountable for the full costs of this accident. Everything else is a distraction.

...a distraction likely designed intentionally. This is how corporatism works. This is what fascism looks like. Big business allying with government.

Government may slap the wrist of business in public. Politicians always want to get involved and point the finger. They may even pass a nice-sounding regulation. But at the end of the day, the big dogs get away with murder.

This is how it has worked for decades.

Woe to those who believe fascism is free enterprise and a free market.

Yes, the constitution still exists. But it has been systematically dismembered by a network of regulation (control) being written by and enforced for special interests.

When you have a democratic system of government power over the marketplace, those with the most influence will control that power. Period. Is this not common sense????

The public demands and is distracted and pleased by cleverly-worded legislation. And the big dogs get away with murder because we vote for politicians who hand the power to them on a silver platter (EPA, SEC, FDA, IRS...).
 wvwaterfall
Msg: 237
view profile
History
Posted: 6/9/2010 7:01:06 PM

Maybe the problem is that the government isn't leaving it to the experts.

Do we HAVE experts on stopping oil leaks 5000 feet under the sea?
 That Handy Man
Msg: 238
Posted: 6/9/2010 8:11:51 PM
They always say, follow the money trail!

Makes me wonder, just out of curiosity, who would stand to gain with BPs plummeting value (if this is in fact the truth). Maybe I should be shorting the stock? lol

And the matter of Greece. Just more of that house of cards and the traps we have created!
 desertrhino
Msg: 239
view profile
History
Posted: 6/9/2010 8:14:17 PM

Makes me wonder, just out of curiosity, who would stand to gain with BPs plummeting value (if this is in fact the truth).

Wow, you will make ANYTHING into a NWO-style conspiracy, won't you? Sometimes a stupid, even criminally-negligent, accident just happens, without "who stands to gain" interfering.
 HeyJenny
Msg: 240
Posted: 6/9/2010 8:14:17 PM
Krebby, 50 is not 40, you're off by 10 years. I could say more but I am not on here to argue anything regarding Greece's early retirement regardless of when early retirement is . Again, hello, new thread?

I did read the last 5 posts ,that is what prompted me to complain in the first place.
 That Handy Man
Msg: 242
Posted: 6/10/2010 1:59:59 PM
You two squabble like an old married couple! lol

Unknowncountry.com seems to suggest that there are more oil leaks in the area!
 mr.evil
Msg: 243
Posted: 6/10/2010 2:03:50 PM
The fall in BP stock simply represents a few of the larger money managers pulling some money off the table, and some hedge funds and individuals shorting the stock.

With a fall from roughly 57 to 35, people are already calling for the stock to be bought here. Don't think that's the best move but hey, with 100 million in profits per day, don't think they're worried about it. Even at 35 billion, spread over say 7 years, for clean up. That would be 5 billion a year, or 50 days of income, not even 1 quarter.

Yes, I'm fairly sure they have bankruptcy as an end game, if they get beyond whatever number the board has in mind. It will be more clear, IF AND WHEN, they contain the well. They could be doing more, but they haven't done the supertanker thing yet.

They may not be able to, not enough water under their hulls over here near the gulf coast.
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 244
view profile
History
Posted: 6/10/2010 3:46:29 PM
First a rare moment of laughter about the situation.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AAa0gd7ClM&feature=player_embedded

Then, there is the odd cashing in of stocks just prior to the spill by CEO Hayward, Goldman Sachs, Wachovia and others. Did this stock plunge lead to yet more short cuts afield?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/energy/oilandgas/7804922/BP-chief-Tony-Hayward-sold-shares-weeks-before-oil-spill.html
http://www.dvorak.org/blog/2010/06/09/goldman-sachs-dumped-nearly-half-of-their-bp-holding-2-days-before-disaster/

Then there is the curious acquisition of a cleanup company by Haliburton just prior. Haliburton is also being implicated in the recent rash of Fracking accidents in the Northeast US.
http://www.philly.com/inquirer/local/pa/20100605_Gas_spews_from_N_W__Pa__well_rupture.html#axzz0qUcSxgx6

It seems that there is a common thread offshore and on land of deregulation, lack of regulation, the power of these industries of mass destruction to buy off politicians and regulators, and the unmitigated greed, carelessness and sloppiness of business as usual. People inland are being just as fracked as the people and critters in the Gulf are being F*cked.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=127593937
 Ubiquitous.
Msg: 245
view profile
History
Posted: 6/10/2010 4:13:19 PM
On Obama Wanting to "Kick some ass" over the spill:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Quk0tb2qUwY

There's no reason why our federal government should own the part the Gulf that it does. Why isn't it owned by the fishermen who've fished there for hundreds of years? If we want the Gulf to be preserved, THEY should be the one contracting with and leasing the rights to drill to BP, Exxon, and Shell. THEY have an incentive to make sure BP takes robust precautions not to damage what would be their property. And if BP did damage it - as they have - they would have straightforward contractual recourse.

By having the Federal government own the Gulf, all BP, Exxon, and Shell have to do is buy off a few regulators to write laws in their favor. Liability cap? Good, god! How on earth is that going to promote the public good?

More government's the solution? Give more easily corruptible, unaccountable people access to guns? That'll solve the problem?

What a joke.
 Ubiquitous.
Msg: 247
view profile
History
Posted: 6/11/2010 2:00:15 AM

Business as usual. But not the type of business that I believe in.

I hope you now understand it's not the type of business I believe in either.

When I say "deregulate - get these government agencies OUT of the economy" I am promoting the abolishment of these various biased laws and legal loopholes that these companies have written for themselves to grant them the legal authority to escape market accountability.

A free market existing within a system of private property "regulates" businesses with far more desirable outcomes than command-and-control, top-down mandates from government officials.

I am not looking at the economy in a vacuum. I know full-well that government officials are installed by special interests via campaign contributions, are influenced by special interests (knowingly or unknowingly) via lobbyists working on behalf of special interests, and are protected by working with commanding law firms, who navigate the immensely complex legal code - that's been written by and for special interests - to defend their interests against market forces.
 mr.evil
Msg: 248
Posted: 6/11/2010 9:15:47 AM
Couple of things,

First now scientists think the estimates are wrong by half, or TWICE the amount of oil is escaping as earlier estimates.

Next with regard "U.S. being "too hard" on BP." It's not Europe that thinks that, it's the UK. They get more than 5 BILLION pounds in taxes each year from BP. Further 1 out every 7 paid in dividends in UK is from BP. Further more than 10% of pensions are invested in BP in UK. This isn't national pride alone talking, this is very real economically to most people in that country. Shame they had Darth Vader running it, or I could ALMOST sympathize.

Finally, you will never change the government, with out term limits on the congress. As long as they can go home(hahaha) and get reelected every 4 or 6 years for 20 or 24 years, you'll never change the system. Also PAC money should be outlawed, it's just a cover for bribes anyway. Corporations are not people, they do not deserve the same rights as them, nor to influence the election process.
 Ubiquitous.
Msg: 249
view profile
History
Posted: 6/11/2010 10:07:58 AM
VERY Interesting Peter Schiff video on the BP leak and the Rule of law:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4OCIX-rzXg#t=4m58s

As for term limits. I feel ya on that one. I've done a lot of thinking though, and I'm not sure we would do more harm than good by instituting strict term limits. Say we make it so a senator can only serve one 6-year term. The effect could very well be that once they're a senator is elected, he/she will feel like they have nothing to lose and even more readily ally with special interests.

Politics is such a debacle.

Your thoughts on the matter?
 mr.evil
Msg: 250
Posted: 6/11/2010 3:17:21 PM
Yes I realize the downside, BUT IMO, there is more to be lost with the cronyism going on with long term senators buddying up with lobbyists who give them trips, cash for campaigns and all the rest.

Once they've eaten from the trough, they rarely think about the other people, only themselves. In addition, it would force them to rethink the way committee members are selected. Now they just get on a powerful committee and everyone kisses their azz and throws money at them.

He11 I'm to the point now where I believe 2 year terms would be better, max 3 terms. If he turns out to be a bum, get someone new.

As for the "alphabet soup" of agencies, we need an overhaul, to make them responsible to someone we elect, NOT APPOINT.

Our country has been sold to the highest bidder, whether it' oil, banks or pharma, really makes no difference. Since it's fuking lawyers who do all this, maybe we need to "SHOOT ALL THE LAWYERS!!!!"

Frankly I'm disgusted with it all. The republicans when in power screw anything that moves and deregulate to the point of absurdity. When the dems get in they want draconian measures taken except where it regards their state. Now we have republicans acting like school children pouting, and dems who are inaffective or afraid.

Maybe time for a revolution.

As they said in a movie, "watch out! the commies will come back! You know what happens then? THEY SHOOT ALL THE LAWYERS!!"
 xlr8ingmargo
Msg: 251
Posted: 6/11/2010 3:46:59 PM
This is kinda what I have been saying... now your tired too.
When the entire nation unifies itself what then?
Im for the punishment of all corporate lawyers.
A revolution may be what all this really does start.
Personally I'd like to see mother nature kick some boo ta ta.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >