Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 whytwater
Msg: 63
Am I the only one turned off by technology?Page 4 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
Its definately overkill and its going to be even more so as everyone tries to outdo each other with the next must-have toy

Pity the same is not true of "adult toys". It's been decades, at least (since whenever they added the buzzzzzzzzzzzzzz) since I've seen/heard of any "next generation" toys (when ipod is on its sixth generation, I think).
But this thread seems to lean only on the expediting, latest model mechanisms for communicating with other humans. What's wrong with that? Jean Luc was "absorbed", for a while, with the weird communicator implants, but broke free, good as new. Input is a healthy thing (except for the stuff the repubs put out, lol).
The unfortunate aspect, imo, is that the rapid-fire assault communication weapons strip the users of their training and talents to communicate, and in some cases, delete all the viable, noteworthy content as well. Lol The English language (the only one I know more than snippets of) is rich, complex, laden with mythical creatures and legends of human endeavor, just barely below its well-worn surface. We still have words like "trebuchet", lol, though I'd be hard-pressed to use it in any other sentence.
I blame the state of the gadgetry art, for now, but think it has the potential to improve, and quickly, and, I hope, before the language of the ancients is irretrievably lost. jmho
The rest is just trendiness, fashion, and whatever is chic this month- acquiring the latest new thing to plug in with. jmho
While I would be charmed to find sealing wax protecting a whispering warm note of any kind from a lady, it is communicating that is the bedrock virtue, more so than its morphing forms.
 leanco
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Am I the only one turned off by technology?
Posted: 10/26/2010 3:24:02 AM

I don't own a cell phone PERIOD. There is something very unique, and special about me.

Boy, I don't feel so out of place now! .

I am as low-tech as it comes. No cell phone, no GPS, no IPod. Don't want and don't need.

The downside is that I lost out on all the modern convenience that these devices offer, plus also all the hype on the latest gadgetries.

The upside is that I can live a simple and uncluttered life. I can "take time to smell the roses", be out of reach when I don't wanna be reached and gotta rely on my "biological CPU" to plan things out. Because of that, I never miss anything important and I am rarely late for an appointment.

Ironically, my work requires me to be relatively in tune with what’s going on in technology. But even if I didn't need to, I'm constantly reading up on how things work anyway.

I think technology is great and it helps human to progress (not to mention that it gives me a livelihood), but I don't really care to have too much of it in my life. I hope that isn't a great detriment in the dating world...
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 67
Posted: 10/26/2010 4:02:12 AM

Up with texting, yay for texting, give me
much more texting
and much less
"right? so i couldn't bee-LIEVE it, he like totally went and, no no, you're fine, I'm just at the library... he TOLD my MOTHER ....whaaaat? no, he told my... what? i know, right? so he... can you hear --yeah -- he said..... whatttttt? hello? can you hear---- ok i'm going to call you back. i said I'M GOING TO CALL YOU... ah! she hung up !!"

I gotta agree with this. I'd use the phone more often if when I did, whoever was calling got to the point and finished the call quickly.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 68
Posted: 10/26/2010 7:42:36 AM
Not sure what this means exactly.
I like my computer.
I have a cellphone, but I don't have a landline.
I did just recently get a Nook (I work in the bookstore that sells them)
I like my TV and the fact I can watch stuff on demand.

I think there are a lot of options out there, I just don't choose to
own them all. Doesn't mean I think someone who has the stuff or
doesn't have the stuff is better or smarter than me or vice versa.
 jezebellpgh
Msg: 70
Posted: 10/27/2010 4:18:10 AM
Really I remember when the microwave and cable television was new and cutting edge. I work a 2nd job in retail and young person after young person comes through my line and is absorbed in text messaging and talking on the phone. Its like they have a 60 second mindset and can't entertain themselves doing absolutely nothing such as thinking in their heads or maybe reading a magazine. It is sad.
 DrummingNut
Msg: 71
Posted: 10/27/2010 8:10:34 AM
The bottom line for me?
It all COSTS too much.
And keeps ON costing.
It costs in cash and it costs in loss of real-time people interacting with real-time people out in the world.
How the heck can people afford it?
And, do they even know anymore that the actual sky has beauty in it if they looked up right now?
 DrummingNut
Msg: 73
Posted: 10/27/2010 3:48:47 PM
^^ one evening I was driving to a business meeting. The sunset was beyond amazing.. it was an incredible show.. I was in awe. It ended as I arrived to the destination. I arrived the same time someone else did.. he drove from the same direction I did. I said "wow! wasn't that a beautiful sunset?!!"
He looked at me blank. He said he didn't notice!

That happened over 20 years ago. It hit home to me that there are people that are just blind to the natural glory of the sky.. even a blazing sunset right in front of their face. I just can't comprehend that, but it's true.

Today? It's got to be even worse.. there's got to be a lot more who draw a blank about anything that is actually all arond them in the 'real' world. How can they know? Their faces are turned downward to the thing in their hand, or the phone/tv/computer instruments in the car, or whatever. I hate seeing that happen.
 JWG86
Msg: 74
Posted: 10/28/2010 12:14:47 AM
I refuse to buy an iPhone.
I refuse to buy a GPS.
When I buy a new car, I will opt not to have the NAV system (namely beacause it's a $3K option in the car I am considering and it won't do anything for the driving experience).

I do have broadband internet and buy a new computer whenever the graphics card cannot keep up with any game I want to play. I do text at times, but not often.
 jezebellpgh
Msg: 75
Posted: 10/28/2010 4:26:43 AM
jwg:

I'll second that I actually read Maps if I am going somewhere new. What a concept.
 JWG86
Msg: 76
Posted: 10/28/2010 7:17:56 AM
Jezebellpgh. I do not use maps. I am a male. I have a certain set of organs that is reputed to function as a GPS device all on their own. Failing that, there is always new construction to be blamed for "detours".
 Texan_Gal
Msg: 79
Posted: 5/12/2012 4:02:09 AM
I'm a 24-year-old Computer Science major, which I guess makes people assume I must love technology and know everything about it, but I'm so frugal that I consider most of it a waste of money and I don't have the need or desire. I've never owned an Apple product, any of them. I've never owned an MP3 player. I've never owned a laptop. The desktop I own is 7 years old. I've owned two cell phones in my life: one for 3 years, and the current one which I've had more than 4 years, and neither has been a "smart phone". I use Facebook strictly for family and three close friends. I very rarely text. I really don't think I could stand the type of guy who has his nose stuck in his phone all day, and unfortunately, that seems to afflict the majority of people in my generation.
 Infinity_G
Msg: 80
Posted: 5/12/2012 4:04:05 AM
I don't own a cell phone PERIOD. There is something very unique, and special about me.

Wait, you're only in your 20's, and you do NOT have a cell phone? I was looking to see what country you're from, and you'er in America? Do friends of your generation tease you about it right?

Interesting though, how some people don't have a cell phone, but yet they have internet access. Wonder how this came to be since cell phones were more common than the internet when they first came out.

One can't be turned off by technology if you're on POF posting on a message board.

What I am also noticing, that the more communication tech exists, the more likely (esp. when it comes to dating and socializing) that people seem to use that tech to IGNORE people as opposed to return their calls/emails. lol
 forums1
Msg: 81
Posted: 5/12/2012 6:39:45 AM
I'm an "IT guy", but nope - I do have a cell phone, a basic Nokia (the only "feature" it has besides being a phone is a camera, what can I say, it was the 'free phone' when I got it 5+yrs ago)... but no iPhone, iPad, Android... think I have a cheapo mp3 player around somewhere that I bought for $5 and never really used (I have a stereo when I'm at home). Heck, I'm on the computer all day long for work, I certainly don't want to be carrying the internet around with me 24/7/365 - honestly, its just not that important. Only family and a few friends get my cell#, anyone else can call my home phone and get the machine.

I'm a "slave to technology" all day long at work, I'll be damned if I'm gonna be one on my own time.
 Rheostatic
Msg: 82
Posted: 5/12/2012 6:47:24 AM
I understand the cell phone aversions. I despise texting and only do so when necessary. But I would be lost without my GPS. My job has me traveling to 4 or 5 different houses a day all over the city, in my own car. The GPS is a godsend for finding the quickest route possible. I've discovered shortcuts that I didn't know existed in almost 30 years of living in the same city. It's especially helpful when you live in a city that isn't grid-like like Manhattan, but instead looks like someone through a plate of spaghetti at a wall and called it a map. I couldn't imagine driving in London England without a GPS these days.

I tend to not use it for personal use, though. Just for my job. And yes, I can read a map, and use a compass, and tell direction from the sun and stars. But the GPS sure as hell makes life easier. And it's MUCH safer than driving down a road looking at a map, is it not?
 amalefriend
Msg: 83
Posted: 5/12/2012 6:58:13 AM
I'm turned off by the addicts who are glued to it while being on a date, out for supper with a child etc. First and last time I will see someone who does this.
 sgdess60
Msg: 84
Posted: 5/12/2012 7:45:56 AM
As someone who has spent a lifetime honing her 'interpersonal skills", her "spidey senses", and learning to understand body language, inflections and facial expressions, I feel we might be losing all that we as people have learned and maybe setting aside the emotional component present when you are face to face in favor of sending three word text messages back and forth.

I like the poster that said something like, "if I have something important to say to you, I'll call up your ass on the phone" LOL
 SunshineAngel99
Msg: 85
view profile
History
Posted: 5/12/2012 8:25:21 AM
If I see a woman looking at her cell phone on a date the majority of the time I pretty much walk out haha. No explanation necessary.
 TantricJedi
Msg: 86
Posted: 5/12/2012 11:24:52 AM
I love technology myself. That's my thing, gadgets. Not into sports, cars or art galleries. I'm into copy and paste between 3 computers, synchronizing hard drives, using excel to query the web for data, watching a 3D tv, playing Civilization V....

I got GPS, bluetooth, Google, Yahoo IM, Skype, Facebook and Grooveshark

I enjoy reading the following web sites - lifehacker, CNET, Digg and DeviantArt

I have every imaginable audio/video adapter and cable out there.

When I meet a woman that can format my floppy, I'll gladly de-frag her hard drive
 Rheostatic
Msg: 87
Posted: 5/12/2012 11:39:41 AM

Civilization V....

Ugh...I was really disappointed with that game.

When I meet a woman that can format my floppy, I'll gladly de-frag her hard drive

Oh, you...
 CountryCowgirl9
Msg: 88
Posted: 5/12/2012 12:02:46 PM
not to mention the cancer risks and lovely texting domino's drivers.
 bamagrl68
Msg: 89
Posted: 5/12/2012 8:57:27 PM
himynameisSarah- No you aren't. I will give up listening to the radio when it doesn't exist anymore (please, never).
I can understand SOME video game playing, but these guys who play for hours on end are NOT for me. Can you say brain rot?
I use the internet, but I have no intention of vying for attention with the computer.
Don't even get me started about my pet peeve-cell phone itis. Nothing like being on a date or in a relationship with a man that would rather text than talk or keeps the phone glued to his ear, SO rude. (I won't even date someone who uses twitter, literally for twits, I really don't need to know what you are are doing every two minutes)
Does anyone but me read anymore or prefer talking face to face? Your post tells me no, but I wish there were more people like us.
 AddHomonym
Msg: 90
Posted: 5/12/2012 9:16:13 PM
I have no cell phone and resist the constant pressures to get one.
When I had a cell phone, I refused to text.
I have a landline.
It's a candlestick phone...Google it.
I enjoy cursive writing.
I do Calligraphy...infrequently...like I'm pretty sure my ink is dried solid.
I wear a Fedora or a Trilby every day.
When I get cold, I put on a sweater. If that doesn't work, I chop some wood and make a fire.
I don't drive and never had a license.

I also play tons of video games, watch movies and love my digital camera.

I figure technology is a lot like television. Some of it is priceless but most of it is a steaming pile of...excrement. I consider it wise to pick and choose carefully rather than become a lobotomized sheep lining up to get branded.

Any one of those things I mentioned is enough to convince many people I am totally insane...(insert Woody-Wood-Pecker overlay here)
 pasmal
Msg: 91
Posted: 5/12/2012 9:34:52 PM
I'm really slow to liking it and a bit more tolerant now but anyone sleeping with their phone, texting vs reading a book..is not interesting at all and we'd probably never stand each other. I wish I could get away from the Net because so much time gets wasted and I know I never go out like I used to because of it. Actually seeing people is like culture shock. But they are staring at their phones like automatons--a huge turn off. Zombie nation all around us. Elective Asperger's?
 RT_2
Msg: 92
Posted: 5/13/2012 1:31:04 PM
I am more and more of a Luddite as time goes on.

My electric bill was under $20 last month.

Most of my toys and tools are powered by human muscle. Bicycle, canoe, raft (inflated by hand pump), reel mower, bow saw.

Machines will fail.
 TraveliciousGuy
Msg: 93
Posted: 5/13/2012 8:22:06 PM
I'm thinking that people need Batman's utility belt to carry all of these gadgets around with them all the time.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >