Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > "Everybody Draw Mohammed Day" set for May 20th      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 sammylg
Msg: 51
Everybody Draw Mohammed Day set for May 20thPage 3 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
"IMO pulling it was the right thing to do for two reasons, at least: firstly it may have saved someone's life (really...... as we know there's a small minority within a minority which may consider acting out violently because of it); secondly it unnecessarily hurts the feelings of the millions of non-violent completely law-abiding day-to-day Muslims who've done nothing to deserve it."

IMO the first reason is a pretty bad one because it says that this small minority has a right to control what the vast majority believes in, which is the first amendment.

The second reason is just as bad because if we are not allowed to say things that offends others? Then most of us will be saying nothing much of the time.

Is this thing childish? Sure, I'd agree to that. Should it be banned or removed? No, I don't think so. Muslims have ever right to protest and be angry on how their religion is being portrayed, that is their right, but it is our right to publish things that maybe offensive to other groups.

As for who will remember Bill Maher or Christopher Hitchens? I don't think they care about who will remember them 1000 years from now.
 sammylg
Msg: 52
Everybody Draw Mohammed Day set for May 20th
Posted: 5/6/2010 7:44:47 AM
"would americans be so hasty to jump on this band wagon if instead of muslim involvement it was concerning christians and their beliefs being violated"

Christian beliefs and symbols are violated everyday. On the same South Park episode, Christianity gets it just as bad.

Yet, neither the Pope nor any Baptist preacher or Presbyterian Priest has called for the death of the Trey Stone or Matt Parker.
 susan_cd
Msg: 53
Posted: 5/6/2010 9:50:04 AM

But these violent fundamentalist factions appear to view it as " Islam is a faith of peace... and if you offend us or we think you're going to offend us we'll kill you"

You're just not getting it.

I'm speaking as an atheist, who thinks Christianity, Islam, Judeism, Hinduism, Buddhism, Sihkism, Voodoo, New Age, whatever, is a big pile of sometimes sweet, sometimes horrific, nonsense. But I don't think ALL Christians, Muslims, Jews, Hindus, Buddhists, Voodoo practicioners, New Age followers, etc. are horrible

I'm also an atheist and if you'd read what I said & not what you think I said you'd see that I did specify "violent fundmentalist factions" not ALL Islamics. A great many followers of Islam also oppose the actions of the violent fundamentalists. I have no problem with anyone wanting to believe in whatever they want, but when they try to force others to follow & adhere to their tenets I do have a problem, particularly when they use violence & the threat of violence as a method.
 susan_cd
Msg: 54
Posted: 5/6/2010 9:56:54 AM

Because I understand the moment of "backing down," both from a corporate and human point of view. I work in the print media. In the newsroom, if we had a vote, many of us would hew to the line of right and let the chips fall where they may. But the people who would actually be blown up would much more likely be the receptionist in the lobby or the delivery guy in the wrong place at the wrong time, or someone coming in to place an ad, or ... you get the picture. People who don't work in the media tend to think of it as some sort of monolith, but we're actually just a bunch of people who LIKE the receptionist in the lobby, the delivery guy, ect., and don't want anyone to get hurt. It's complicated

And you missed the point of the "Draw Mohammed" idea, it isn't a protest against the broadcaster that backing down. It's a protest against those making the threat, and a way to say & show them that tho their threat may have prevented the airing of that episode, the threat may now generate who knows how many more images they may be offended by?

Maybe those who made the threat will realize that had they said & done nothing, the episode would have been watched by the loyal fans of South Park, perhaps chuckled over ( perhaps not), then forgotten. Their actions have generated increased interest in the series, and probably a lot of people that have no real interest in the series will now want to trck down th eoffending episode to see whatall the fuss is about.
 susan_cd
Msg: 55
Posted: 5/6/2010 9:58:37 AM

and the writers of that show want to cause controversy by insulting them to gain publicity for their show.
I think thats pathetic.

Agreed, but one of the facets of free speech means people may be exposed to views & things they may not agree with & may find offensive.
 raxarsr
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 5/6/2010 12:41:45 PM
susan..........most of the replys simply dont....or wont understand

people.......we ARE NOT nessairly supporting south park.................

we ARE supporting our right to free speech.........but much much MUCH more importantly.........we are telling those muslim extremeists WHO HAVE ALREADY ATTACKED AND KILLED innocent american citizens that they can kiss our collective arses......we do not nor will not bow to their demmands
 mungojoe
Msg: 57
Posted: 5/6/2010 1:23:35 PM
And you missed the point of the "Draw Mohammed" idea, it isn't a protest against the broadcaster that backing down. It's a protest against those making the threat, and a way to say & show them that tho their threat may have prevented the airing of that episode, the threat may now generate who knows how many more images they may be offended by?

we ARE supporting our right to free speech.........but much much MUCH more importantly.........we are telling those muslim extremeists WHO HAVE ALREADY ATTACKED AND KILLED innocent american citizens that they can kiss our collective arses......we do not nor will not bow to their demmands

Ah, I see... So this "protest" will accomplish that by offending the other muslims WHO DIDN"T MAKE THREATS and DIDN'T DO ANYTHING TO "US"... Gee, that makes SO much more sense now...

Can you explain to me again how that will work...? How will offending even muslims who DIDN'T protest or make threats or kill anybody make "the offended" stop making demands...

susan..........most of the replys simply dont....or wont understand

You are right... And what we don't "understand" is... Why would we go out of our way to offend the other muslims just to offend "the offended" when we DID NOT do this after free-speech suppressing terrorist bombings and threats by Jewish extremists (incidently, Jewish extremists are responsible for MORE terror attacks in the US than al-Qaeda) or after free-speech suppressing terrorist fire-bombing and threats by Christian extremists...?

At no point after any of that did we have a national "protest" designed to offend as many Jews or Christians as possible... Nor any serious effort to stage such a thing... Can you give me one good reason for that difference...? Can you explain why it is different with the muslims, other than due to utter and unadulterated bigotry...?

No...? I thought not...
 susan_cd
Msg: 58
Posted: 5/6/2010 1:40:04 PM

You are right... And what we don't "understand" is... Why would we go out of our way to offend the other muslims just to offend "the offended"

a) not all Muslims are offended by the idea of Mohammed's image being portrayed, it is the interpretation of some Islamics that such an image is offensive... oh well, if you want to live in a society that supports free speech, you have to live in a society where some things MAY offend you. I'm not a racist, and feel the KKK ( as one example) are brainless imbeciles BUT free speech means they can promote their views, even if many find such views offensive.

b) every time there's an attack by Islamic militant extremists, we always see spokespeople for the non-extremists getting their message out that "Islam is a faith of reason & peace", and the actions of the extremists should in no way be viewed & construed as the actions of all Islam. Usually they stop their speech at this point.

.... curious that they will make pretty speechs to distance themselves from the terrorist extremists and yet never seemto continue the speech beyond thatpoint & say the terrorist extremists are not true followers who should be hunted down and killed... maybe one of these spokespeople should, at the end of their speech, issue a fatwa against the terrorists, to show that the terrorists really are not true followers .

Fatwa
fatwa (plural fatwas or fatawa)
1.(Islam) A legal opinion, decree or ruling issued by a mufti or other Islamic lawyer.
Verb "to fatwa"
1.(rare, transitive) To make somebody the subject of a fatwa, especially a ban or death sentence.
 susan_cd
Msg: 59
Posted: 5/6/2010 1:46:36 PM

(incidently, Jewish extremists are responsible for MORE terror attacks in the US than al-Qaeda)

Oh? Could you cite your sources & evidence for this statement?

Why would we go out of our way to offend the other muslims just to offend "the offended" when we DID NOT do this after free-speech suppressing terrorist bombings and threats by Jewish extremists (incidently, Jewish extremists are responsible for MORE terror attacks in the US than al-Qaeda) or after free-speech suppressing terrorist fire-bombing and threats by Christian extremists...?

No one is stopping you from doing just that, if you want to... that's one of the values of having free speech. If you want to do that go right ahead.
 mungojoe
Msg: 60
Posted: 5/6/2010 1:53:08 PM

a) not all Muslims are offended by the idea of Mohammed's image being portrayed, it is the interpretation of some Islamics that such an image is offensive... oh well, if you want to live in a society that supports free speech, you have to live in a society where some things MAY offend you.

And the majority of muslims who are offended by it are NOT terrorists, do NOT try to suppress such things through threats of violence... Most don't even protest... So, once again, how does offending THEM resolve the issue with those who do make the threats...?

I'm not a racist

Well, it's kind of hard to see that when you advocate such juvenile and ineffective methods as DELIBERATELY offending people who have done NOTHING to you just to "stick your tongue out" at those who you feel have...

.... curious that they will make pretty speechs to distance themselves from the terrorist extremists and yet never seemto continue the speech beyond thatpoint & say the terrorist extremists are not true followers who should be hunted down and killed... maybe one of these spokespeople should, at the end of their speech, issue a fatwa against the terrorists, to show that the terrorists really are not true followers .

Oh, I see... So they are REQUIRED to express themselves in the exact manner YOU prescribe as satisfactoory...? I thought this was about the "right of free speech"... Apparently that only applies to speech presented in the manner YOU prefer...
 susan_cd
Msg: 61
Posted: 5/6/2010 2:25:15 PM

I'm not a racist

Well, it's kind of hard to see that when you advocate such juvenile and ineffective methods as DELIBERATELY offending people who have done NOTHING to you just to "stick your tongue out" at those who you feel have

I pesonally have no plans tomake a drawing of Mohammed, partially because I'm an atheist. I figured the thread might be a good topic for discussion, & considering the number of responses it seems to be.

Of course, I guess we could all just come here & discuss the weather if you don't want anyone offended .

Oh, I see... So they are REQUIRED to express themselves in the exact manner YOU prescribe as satisfactoory...? I thought this was about the "right of free speech"... Apparently that only applies to speech presented in the manner YOU prefer

I don't recall saying they HAVE to say anything, I was just pointing out that their speeches to distance themselves from the militant extremists seem a tad diluted.

That's how their speechs seem to me, and I'm exercising my freedom of speech by stating my opinion.
 mungojoe
Msg: 62
Posted: 5/6/2010 2:32:13 PM
Oh? Could you cite your sources & evidence for this statement?

According to the FBI's database, of ALL terrorist attacks on US soil from 1980 to 2005, 6% were by Islamic extremists and 7% were by Jewish extremists...

According to the Memorial Institute for the Prevention of Terrorism, Jewish terrorists were responsible for at least 57 terror attacks BEFORE 9/11 even happened...

And you don't even want to get into the dozens upon dozens of terror attacks in the US associated with Christian-identifying terrorists...

You did ask...

No one is stopping you from doing just that, if you want to... that's one of the values of having free speech. If you want to do that go right ahead.

Yes it would be my "right", but I'm not "stuck at 12 years old"... Hence I have no desire to go around targeting the innocent and uninvolved just so I can "stick my tongue out" at the ones who aren't so innocent and uninvolved...

I pesonally have no plans tomake a drawing of Mohammed, partially because I'm an atheist. I figured the thread might be a good topic for discussion, & considering the number of responses it seems to be.

Oh, really...?!? Then what was this about...?

The only thing I can draw with any degree of accuracy is an X-Wing fighter from Star Wars, so I'm picturing Mohammed as a Rambo-like figure ( in turban rather than a bandanna) piloting an X-Wing fighter.
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 5/6/2010 2:56:50 PM
susan cd wrote..
"b) every time there's an attack by Islamic militant extremists, we always see spokespeople for the non-extremists getting their message out that "Islam is a faith of reason & peace", and the actions of the extremists should in no way be viewed & construed as the actions of all Islam. Usually they stop their speech at this point.
EP....(quote function does not work..^^^)
.... curious that they will make pretty speechs to distance themselves from the terrorist extremists and yet never seemto continue the speech beyond thatpoint & say the terrorist extremists are not true followers who should be hunted down and killed... maybe one of these spokespeople should, at the end of their speech, issue a fatwa against the terrorists, to show that the terrorists really are not true followers ."

I hear this sentiment quite often from xenophobes. If people expanded their horizons just a wee bit and actually read what peaceful Muslims have written, such simplistic sentiments about Islam would cease to exist or at least be tempered with a bit more understanding. For those too lazy to look..
http://www.islamfortoday.com/terrorism.htm

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/2010/04/11/2010-04-11_top_muslim_scholar_launches_600page_jihad_against_terror.html

http://www.cair.com/AmericanMuslims/AntiTerrorism.aspx

http://muslimmatters.org/2009/02/09/muslim-scholars%E2%80%94west%E2%80%99s-natural-allies-in-fighting-scourge-of-terrorism/

Sound bite TV may be a little bit to blame for attitudes like Susan cd's, but more likely, people are comfy hearing only what they want to hear when they have a perfectly good enemy and scapegoat.
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 5/6/2010 4:02:21 PM
whatisis.."I know there are muslims who have dared to read the bible, in order to understand, They're easy to spot , they usually don't have a head."

Please cite your reference. Please consider other information...

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?pagename=IslamOnline-English-Ask_Scholar/FatwaE/FatwaE&cid=1119503549308
 susan_cd
Msg: 65
Posted: 5/6/2010 4:16:55 PM

Oh, really...?!? Then what was this about...?

The only thing I can draw with any degree of accuracy is an X-Wing fighter from Star Wars, so I'm picturing Mohammed as a Rambo-like figure ( in turban rather than a bandanna) piloting an X-Wing fighter

It's what I was picturing in my head. You see, when people have brains they can visualize images & ideas in their heads. That doesn't mean they will make drawings of these images.

Are we now supposed to not even think of things which may be offensive toothers?

Btw, as any fan of Star Wars knows, X-Wing pilots wear helmets.

According to the Memorial Institute for the Prevention of Terrorism, Jewish terrorists were responsible for at least 57 terror attacks BEFORE 9/11 even happened...

Visited their website & did a search using their search engine looking for "Jewish terrorists".. got this response:

Search Results
No search results were found matching your query. Please try a different query

According to the FBI's database, of ALL terrorist attacks on US soil from 1980 to 2005, 6% were by Islamic extremists and 7% were by Jewish extremists

Went tothe FBI's home page & did a search looking for "jewish terrorist attacks on US soil"... got this message:

Your search - "jewish terrorist attacks on US soil" - did not match any documents.
No pages were found containing ""jewish terrorist attacks on US soil"".

Perhaps I used the wrong phrasing, but I tried a few variation.

Would you be so kind as to post the actual web page link with this information ? Thanks.

At no point after any of that did we have a national "protest" designed to offend as many Jews or Christians as possible... Nor any serious effort to stage such a thing... Can you give me one good reason for that difference...?

Yes it would be my "right", but I'm not "stuck at 12 years old"... Hence I have no desire to go around targeting the innocent and uninvolved just so I can "stick my tongue out" at the ones who aren't so innocent and uninvolved...

So first you complain that there was no protest against Jews andChristiansafter similar eventsa, then when told no one is stopping you from doing that, you say you don't want to, so what's your complaint?
 mungojoe
Msg: 66
Posted: 5/6/2010 5:28:28 PM

Visited their website & did a search using their search engine looking for "Jewish terrorists".. got this response:

Search Results
No search results were found matching your query. Please try a different query

Went tothe FBI's home page & did a search looking for "jewish terrorist attacks on US soil"... got this message:

Your search - "jewish terrorist attacks on US soil" - did not match any documents.
No pages were found containing ""jewish terrorist attacks on US soil"".

Perhaps I used the wrong phrasing, but I tried a few variation.

Well... Did you ask the right question...? My guess would be "No" (actually, it's more of a certainty than a guess)... So, my first suggestion for you would be to develop your research skills... The information is not particularly hard to find... If you know how to do research... Of course, this immediately leads to the question, "How did you develop an informed opinion on this?"...

For starters... There are, and have been,many active Jewish terrorist organizations... And they are responsible for many terrorist attacks... dozens in the US alone, much more when the rest of the world is accounted for...

Now, in the interests of aiding yopu in developing the necessary research skills to tackle such a question I will provide you with this ONE "starter kit"... This is the list for just ONE group with several dozen terrorist attacks "under their belt"... This group alone, not counting any others, has "out terror attacked" al-Qaeda in the US, all by its little lonesome... You can increase this number by a few dozen more if you develop the research skills to do so... But don't expect me to "lead you by the hand" or "spoonfeed" it to you...

http://www.start.umd.edu/gtd/search/Results.aspx?perpetrator=1236

So first you complain that there was no protest against Jews andChristiansafter similar eventsa, then when told no one is stopping you from doing that, you say you don't want to, so what's your complaint?

As I said... I'm not "stuck at 12 years old"... I'm not the one advocating for "Na-Na-Boo-Boo, Look what I did, I HOPE you're offended! Whatcha gonna do about it, huh, huh?" day...
 susan_cd
Msg: 67
Posted: 5/6/2010 6:07:22 PM

The information is not particularly hard to find... If you know how to do research.

Very true. Of course, you can do a search on the net & find informtion on UFOs, big foot, psychics and the how the moon landing is a hoax. Just because it's out on th enet doesn't mean it's fact.

And if there were more attacks by Jewish terrorists on US soil then Islamic terrorists so what? Are you suggesting that because ( according to you) some Jewish terrorists carried out actions on US soil we shouldn't concern ourselves with Islamic terrorists until the percantage of their attacks reachs or exceeds the percentage of Jewish attacks?
 earthlingsRevenge
Msg: 68
Posted: 5/6/2010 6:26:24 PM
YEEEEEHHHH
I'm all for Free Speech .
No nut job can stop me from my free speech.
I'll not only draw Mohammed pic, I'll draw him naked as a pedaphile.
I'll also draw Jeffery Drummar as Jesus.
I'll also draw Hitler as an angel.

It's freedom of speech, baby.
 mungojoe
Msg: 69
Posted: 5/6/2010 6:26:49 PM
Very true. Of course, you can do a search on the net & find informtion on UFOs, big foot, psychics and the how the moon landing is a hoax. Just because it's out on th enet doesn't mean it's fact.

Nice attempt at deflection... If you can't dispute the facts, then assert they may not "really" be facts...

Did you know:

1) MIPT (Memorial Institute for the Prevention of Terrorism) was initiated by the US Congress...?

2) The US Congress funds the Global Terrorism Database ...?

But, I guess you're right, just because it's on the 'net doesn't mean it's fact... Even when it is initiated and funded by Congress (I'm sure they did this just for "sh*ts and giggles")...

Probably just so they could "trick" people into believing that there are terrorist who aren't muslim by lying about all the other terrorist groups that have never REALLY existed and all the terrorist attacks that never REALLY happened...

And probably just so they could encourage people to support "Na-Na-Boo-Boo, Look what I did, I HOPE you're offended! Whatcha gonna do about it, huh, huh?" day to offend muslims...
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 5/6/2010 6:39:46 PM
According to trusted, fair and balanced sources at the Onion today, Ruth F*cking Ginsburg, f*ckin, kicked a** on befu*cking half of fr**, Fu*cking Spe*ch. Holli-fu*kingLouYa. More as this F*cking develops....F*cking Jesus on a Hot Dog Stick...A. F*cking censors will kill this f*cking thread in an ironic twist of fate..Stay tuned. No Muslims or actual Christians were harmed in this simple F*ckin exercise.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/supreme-court-upholds-freedom-of-speech-in-obsceni,17372/

Supreme Court Upholds Freedom Of Speech In Obscenity-Filled Ruling

May 4, 2010 | ISSUE 46•18
Justice Ginsburg wrote that those who dispute her interpretation of the Constitution can "shove a fat one so far up their ass they choke."

WASHINGTON—In a decisive and vulgar 7-2 ruling, the U.S. Supreme Court once again upheld the constitution's First Amendment this week, calling the freedom of expression among the most "inalienable and important rights that a mother****er can have."

"It is the opinion of this court that the right to speak without censorship or fear of intimidation is fundamental to a healthy democracy," Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg wrote for the majority. "Furthermore, the court finds that the right to say whatever the hell you want, whenever the hell you want, is not only a founding tenet, but remains essential to the continued success of this nation."

Added Ginsburg, "In short, freedom of speech means the freedom of ****ing speech, you ignorant****uckers."

The decision came Monday in response to the case of a Charleston, WV theater troupe that had been sued by city officials for staging a sexually explicit play with public funds. Reversing the 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals' decision, the Supreme Court ruled in favor of the theater, an outcome free-speech advocates are calling a victory and Justice Ginsburg called "a ****-slap in the face of all those uptight limp-dicks."

The ruling in City of Charleston v. The Kanawha Players marks the first time in 220 years that the nation's highest court has taken such a fiercely profane stance.

During oral arguments, Charleston's chief counsel Dan Roy said his clients could restrict any public speech they deemed offensive, an argument quickly dismissed by Justice John Paul Stevens, 90, who turned to his colleagues and made a repeated up-and-down hand motion intended to simulate masturbation.

"I'm beginning to wonder if you really understand what 'abridging the freedom of speech' means at all," said Stevens, a 34-year veteran of the court known for his often-nuanced interpretations of the First Amendment. "I'm also wondering whether you and your fat-faced plaintiffs over there need to have some respect for constitutionally protected expression ****ed into your empty hick skulls."

Justice Clarence Thomas, who voted with the majority, wrote a concurring opinion in which he made little mention of established court precedents but emphasized that he himself had viewed materials "way, way nastier than this stupid play."

"I don't know what kind of bullshit passes for jurisprudence down in the 4th Circuit these days," Thomas wrote. "But those pricks can take their arguments about speech that 'appeals only to prurient interests' and go suck a dog's ***hole."

Added Thomas, "Just suck it. Get in there and seriously suck it."

Writing in dissent, however, Justice Antonin Scalia contemplated the limits of the constitutional guarantee of free speech.

"The court has an interest in protecting meaningful human communication, which is jeopardized when every other word out of someone's mouth is 'F this' or 'F that,'" Scalia wrote. "In practice, such an expansion of free expression becomes far too unwieldy and large to accommodate."

To which Justice Ginsberg immediately replied, "Yeah, that's what his mom said."

Conservative constitutional scholars have criticized the Supreme Court's decision, calling it not only a license to provoke, but also an act of provocation in itself, one that saw several justices repeatedly refer to the plaintiffs as "****wits," "asshats," and "cumsacks" before informing them that with their appeals exhausted, their only remaining legal recourse would be to "piss up a rope or take two fists in the mommy slot."

More than 18 months after the suit was first brought against the theater group, defense lawyers said the road to the Supreme Court was "hard as shit," but well worth it.

"This is a historic victory for free speech, and I wouldn't be surprised if, a hundred years from now, the hallowed walls of this court bear an inscription taken from the eloquent decision handed down today," lead defense attorney Carl Huddleston said. "Particularly the phrase 'That which erodes human rights serves to erode humanity, ****face.'"
 OMG!WTF!
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Posted: 5/6/2010 6:50:36 PM
Comparing JDL to Al Qaeda is a bit of a stretch. JDL targeted foreign interests in America, not Americans. Al Qaeda...the opposite. I'm sure you didn't intend to imply that Jews are more of a threat than Al Qaeda. But whatever. Use information how ever you want.

<div class="quote">I'm not the one advocating for "Na-Na-Boo-Boo, Look what I did, I HOPE you're offended! Whatcha gonna do about it, huh, huh?"

Of course she's going to kill you. That's how it's done, ya? Your own na na na na boo boo tone is getting a bit toxic.

Images of Muhammed aren't dangerous, aren't evil, threatening, cruel in any way shape or form. They offend an ideal, a belief, a mystery. But we all live with that at some point in our lives without killing people. Swaztikas, burning crosses, unibomber mail is evil, threatening and dangerous. Those are the things you shouldn't do. Comparing that stuff to cartoons is nonsense. It offends me that people would kill other people for a drawing. It cheapens life and is symptomatic of psychosis. "God is telling me to kill cartoonists" would land me in the psych ward toute de suite. It is immature and a bit daft to devote an entire day to drawing Mohammed, but it's also funny and has merit in free speech arguments and not promoting death threats as a means of censorship. I'll tippy toe around people's beliefs all day long, but not under the threat of death.
 susan_cd
Msg: 72
Posted: 5/6/2010 8:09:55 PM
And probably just so they could encourage people to support "Na-Na-Boo-Boo, Look what I did, I HOPE you're offended! Whatcha gonna do about it, huh, huh?" day to offend muslims...

Actually, it's "everybody draw Mohammed day", but feel free to start up "Na-Na-Boo-Boo, Look what I did, I HOPE you're offended! Whatcha gonna do about it, huh, huh?" if you like; free speech allows you to do that.

It's called "free speech", not" free speech that no one will take offense at".

And as I said, there may be militant Jewish or militant Christian terrorist groups active inthe US, so what? That'd be another issue. Perhaps you're suggesting we have a "draw Jesus day" or "draw Moses day", maybe some person or persons will initiate that. Free speech in action.

Post all the links you like about there being Jewish & Christian terrorist groups, I haven't denied that. Feel free to start a thread or threads about that.

We have our own problems recently here in Canada with free speech being denied; at a university no less, a place where you'd think they would be receptive to the concept of free speech. Ann Coulter was scheduled to speak at the University of Ottawa, but her talk was cancelled because of threats received frompeople opposed to her views. Guess the enlightened people atthe university feel that free speech only applies to those who are spouting views they support.

Way to go, University of Ottawa, "true north strong & free ( unless we don't like your views)".

Oh, and FYI I don't support Coulter's views, merely her right to speak them.
 susan_cd
Msg: 73
Posted: 5/6/2010 8:31:12 PM

Why would we go out of our way to offend the other muslims just to offend "the offended" when we DID NOT do this after free-speech suppressing terrorist bombings and threats by Jewish extremists (incidently, Jewish extremists are responsible for MORE terror attacks in the US than al-Qaeda) or after free-speech suppressing terrorist fire-bombing and threats by Christian extremists...?

Nice attempt at deflection, the thread is about the Islamic milkitant extermists & their threats to stiffle free speech, and you tell us the "Jewish extremists are responsible for MORE terror attacks in the US than al-Qaeda) or after free-speech suppressing terrorist fire-bombing and threats by Christian extremists"; as if it's a matter of numbers & since there are ( according to your post) more terror attacks from the Jewish extremists, the fact that Islamic extremists are making death threats to quash free speech isn't important.

I don't recall hearing anything in the media about threats being made by Jewish or Christian groups to prevent any TV shows from being aired, maybe I happened to miss those news stories though, anyone here know of any such incidents?
 mungojoe
Msg: 74
Posted: 5/6/2010 8:35:27 PM

Comparing JDL to Al Qaeda is a bit of a stretch. ... I'm sure you didn't intend to imply that Jews are more of a threat than Al Qaeda. But whatever. Use information how ever you want.

First, I was not "comparing" any one terrorist group against any other in the manner you imply, it was simply an example showing scope and scale... The relationship lies in the issue of the deliberate "nose thumbing", over the intimidations of a religious extremist minority, to one religion but not towards others...

Second, a bomb is a bomb is a bomb... Whether it kills 1 or 100+1 is pretty much irrelevant if you, or a spouse or child, is that 1... If you're in the way, you're in the way...

JDL targeted foreign interests in America, not Americans. Al Qaeda...the opposite.

Ah, I see... Terrorism isn't so bad if you aren't the target... Even if it happens in your own backyard... As long as it isn't you... That pretty much always has been the attitude towards terrorism of most of America... Except when it involves muslims, it seems...

No, it's pretty clear what this effort is... When you think it's OK to direct a deliberate "nose thumbing" towards a major portion of one religion, over the intimidations of a religious extremist minority, but do not do so towards others despite similar intimidations...

It's "Na-Na-Boo-Boo, Look what I did, I HOPE you're offended! Whatcha gonna do about it, huh, huh?"...

Especially when the "not" crowd is the crowd doing it...

And it isn't like this is an initiative of the Society of Professional Journalists in line with their ethical code... Whose preamble includes...

...public enlightenment is the forerunner of justice and the foundation of democracy. The duty of the journalist is to further those ends by seeking truth and providing a fair and comprehensive account of events and issues. Conscientious journalists from all media and specialties strive to serve the public with thoroughness and honesty. Professional integrity is the cornerstone of a journalist's credibility.

or anything...

Explain to me again how how offending the vast majority who don't threaten or protest will make "the offended" shut up...?
 late™
Msg: 75
Posted: 5/6/2010 8:45:17 PM

Ann Coulter was scheduled to speak at the University of Ottawa, but her talk was cancelled because of threats received frompeople opposed to her views.

It wasn't canceled by students or the university, or any municipal, provincial or federal authority it was canceled by Coulter.

Her choice not to speak, ...again, why do you reward cowardice?

Ironically, Ezra Levant is representing her in a law suit (good luck with that), he didn't seem to have a problem with the Canadian Branch of the JDL getting the Harper government to bar James Galloway from even entering the country to give his speech about Palestine.

Galloway gave it any way, from outside of Canada.

Not everybody is a coward.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > "Everybody Draw Mohammed Day" set for May 20th