Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Russell Crowe's doing Robin Hood. I know it's a great story, classic      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 cotter
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Russell Crowe's doing Robin Hood. I know it's a great story, classic literature.Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)

Nobody's ever topped Erroll Flynn's classic " Adventures of Robin Hood ". It's still the best overall Robin Hood movie ever made.

Sorry, but no, no, no ... the animated version with Robin as a fox and Maid Marian as a Vixen was the best ... sigh.

Robin Hood, any version thereof, is probably going to end the same way too. So why make it?
For the same reason that oldies music is often revived with a totally different
singer (or musician). It never gets old and just as we have different strokes for different folks, different actors/actresses
appeal to different folks.

We all know how Romeo and Juliet ends, but the Leonard Whiting (Romeo) and Olivia Hussey (Juliet) version
just can't be topped.

If the OP likes a certain version of the Tale of Robin Hood ... she's entitled to her opinion. I've seen
every version of Robin Hood that's mentioned in this thread and we all saw what my opinion was.

I'm sure I'll find someone to go see this version with. I don't like to go to the movies alone because if there's a scary scene, I have no one's lap to jump into ...

Of course, what would I know? I probably read "Little Women" more than 200 times and only like one version of the movie made ... the one in which June Allyson played Jo March in 1949.
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 15
Russell Crowe's doing Robin Hood. I know it's a great story, classic literature.
Posted: 5/14/2010 9:38:46 PM
I just can't take men in tights seriously.
I like Russell Crowe as an actor and have seen most of his movies.
But...
A previous girl made me sit thru the Kevin Costner Robin Hood.
So I think I've suffered enuff and paid my dues.
I can take a pass on this one.
 bucsgirl
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Russell Crowe's doing Robin Hood. I know it's a great story, classic literature.
Posted: 5/14/2010 9:41:56 PM
"Cate blanchette is so going to own this!!!!"

I'm very much an admirer of Cate Blanchette. So many great performances, and in films that werent' that commercially successful.

Cate can't "own" this....she'll just get through it, it's not her film, her script. You have no clue what you're talking about, the impetus was the bank IE MONEY is on Russell Crowe and Ridley Scot...don't you read anything.

It's a tank, it's been panned, thumbs down. Google it, it will be in in in video before the end of July. Frankly, from what I've read, there is nothing positive about,. considering the source, which are the independent critics, that's the only record the movie may have the possibility of setting. Of straight to DVD, funny I wasn't the first to say so.
 Tah,
Msg: 17
Posted: 5/14/2010 10:04:28 PM

You have no clue what you're talking about

Its irrelevant if i do or do not(and i possibly dont) but what is relevant is I didnt throw out personal insults and uneducated narrow minded style judegements towards a poster i didnt agree with!

On Russel crowe ever see romper stomper? your type of mentality perhaps?
 Bookbelle
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 5/15/2010 6:36:57 PM
I saw this Russel Crowe version this week. Great action film, awesome soundtrack too in my opinion. It just worked.
I did get slightly annoyed when the King was killed on the battlefield in the though... slight historical inaccuracy, as he was actually poisoned.

But yeah, I enjoyed it. And this one's apparently just a prequel.
 Super Ryan
Msg: 19
Posted: 5/15/2010 7:53:03 PM
The legend of Robin Hood is such a great story that will, and should, be told for eons to come. Just because you like the Costner version (which was good but had a shitty soundtrack), is no reason to not make another one.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing this version as it has a different take on the "stealing from the rich, to give to the poor". Unlike all other versions I have ever seen, this version makes the stealing from the rich about the Magna Carta and how the peasants were finally given rights the were only offered to the rulling class before.

I did get slightly annoyed when the King was killed on the battlefield in the though... slight historical inaccuracy, as he was actually poisoned.

I don't know where you are getting your information, but King Richard I was killed by an arrow to the shoulder, causing gangreen. He did live long enough to forgive the boy who shot him, and rewarded him with 100 shillings and his freedom.
Maybe you are thinking of Hamlet's father?

As for the people who think this will be a box office bomb and be on DVD by July.
I seriously doubt it. It's Robin Hood, people love that story and will flock to the theater to see, regardless of what the critics think. And because it is Robin Hood the critics will be harsher on it, since they have tons of movies for direct comparison.
I expect this will be the number 2 movie for the summer behind Iron Man II.
Remember, most people don't go to the movies to critique the acting or directing. They go to be told a story and be distracted from their own lives.

And just for you Halftime:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MfisiGqtEM
 Bookbelle
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 5/15/2010 8:27:20 PM

I don't know where you are getting your information, but King Richard I was killed by an arrow to the shoulder, causing gangreen. He did live long enough to forgive the boy who shot him, and rewarded him with 100 shillings and his freedom.
Maybe you are thinking of Hamlet's father?

Whoops, sorry about that. It's been a long night with 2 fire alarms... yep, Hamlet's father was probably what I was thinking. Tiredness does stupid stuff to my brain.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 6/1/2010 9:13:03 PM
As long as we're correcting historic misunderstandings, the Magna Carta wasn't anything to do with PEASANT rights either. It was about RICH GUYS having rights relative to royalty.
I liked the movie pretty much. I'm a Robin Hood fan from way back, having lived in London as a child, and gotten my first taste of that story from it's homeland. Zorro is the same story, "Spanishified. " The same thing as Tarzan, when you get down to it.
I also still like the old Errol Flynn one from the 30's, even though it was only BARELY not a cartoon, and had horrible anachronisms throughout. I was excited by the IDEA of the Costner film, but hated the product. Too much of an effort by the script writers trying to put a new twist on the old story WITHOUT ever bothering to crack a book.
Someone who was of a mind, could do a Graduate paper or even a book on the evolution of Robin Hood films and stories, and how each version, including the original story itself, was a reflection more on the times it was created during, than of the true facts of the days it was ABOUT.
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 22
Posted: 6/8/2010 9:16:14 PM
Well I'd like to see Mr Crowe do a sequel to "Master and Commander".
Damn good movie and historically accurate in the time period.
No guys wearing tights or skirts in it either.

It was based on a series of books written by Patrick O'Brian(now deceased)
Great books and he wrote about 18 in the series.
so it would be plenty of movies to make.

I mean geez, Hollywood is so brain dead as to writing original stuff,
they are now making movies on comic books, and doing remakes of movies based on remakes of comic books.
Lame.
 canoga77
Msg: 23
Posted: 6/10/2010 5:16:16 PM
I think Russell Crowe is an overrated and arrogant actor. I read that in the film he plays Robin Hood with an Irish accent. I don't care to see his performance.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Russell Crowe's doing Robin Hood. I know it's a great story, classic literature.