Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 davidsauvignon
Msg: 10
view profile
History
work ethics- what is normal at the office?Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)

PS_ I was struggling b4 the paycut, now I am on broke a$$ mode!

So, I suppose asking you to go dutch is out of the question?

~ds~
 Sweet_Le_Senza
Msg: 14
view profile
History
work ethics, what is normal at the office?
Posted: 5/14/2010 4:01:19 AM

I would say too many complainers.

When people slack off and I have to pick up their slack, you bet I'm going to complain.

When people work in the government and slack and get benefits, great pay, vacation etc while some people are still unemployed, you bet we're going to complain! >:/
 Sweet_Le_Senza
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 5/14/2010 4:02:13 AM
damn syntax! >:/
 Lint Spotter
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 5/14/2010 4:40:40 AM

When people slack off and I have to pick up their slack, you bet I'm going to complain.

When people work in the government and slack and get benefits, great pay, vacation etc while some people are still unemployed, you bet we're going to complain! >:/
There ar e two kinds of complainers...

1. Those that complain to garner pity.

2. Those that complain to effect change.

Understanding that the OP isn't effecting change by her complaints on the forums, that leaves the other; for which I have no empathy.
 chameleonf
Msg: 17
Posted: 5/14/2010 7:12:06 AM
There ar e two kinds of complainers...
1. Those that complain to garner pity.
2. Those that complain to effect change.
Understanding that the OP isn't effecting change by her complaints on the forums, that leaves the other; for which I have no empathy.

How do you "effect change" in the workplace when the owners/bosses are clearly part of the problem or even at the heart of the problem...good luck with that one. Bringing this up as a forum topic is simply bringing it up as a forum topic, not an attempt to garner sympathy, and is one which many people who are diligent workers encounter and, yes, do suffer through. The only effective change which can be made in such cases is to do as the OP states she is doing by moving on.
 Lint Spotter
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 5/14/2010 7:56:38 AM

The only effective change which can be made in such cases is to do as the OP states she is doing by moving on.
Which would be a positive move on her part, except from seeing that she’s been complaining about the company for over five months and is only NOW looking for other work, I get the impression that she’s doing this for sympathy.

I work for a company that I hear so many people complaining about the efforts of others within the company rather than actually working. It’s those people that I see are less productive than the others that they complain about as they don’t truly understand the scope of other’s jobs. Furthermore, negativity in the workplace is a huge issue; I’ve read half a dozen books on countering workplace toxicity such as the OP is displaying… each one has stated that the root of the problem is the avid complainers that stay at the job and point the finger at anyone and everyone else rather than focusing on their own work.

The issue here isn’t the slackers as they seem to be filling the needs of the management and owners. Ultimately, that is the person that is signing the cheque and the only people that the others are accountable towards, not the OP.
 chameleonf
Msg: 19
Posted: 5/14/2010 8:33:01 AM
I've seen it time and again where you have one or two in an office who spend their time actually working and not frittering their time away by coming in late and taking extended breaks with coworkers, yapping with their coworkers excessively about how they're overworked while not working, taking excessive sick time, and generally doing as little work as they possibly can to the point it's a wonder their hand doesn't shake as they reach for their paycheque. These are the same people who will tell you they are overworked when they attempt to do what is considered a very basic "normal" day's work and will then whine about it to either an unobservant employer or an employer who actually joins in with the employees. Guess who is assigned to help these slackers?...yup, the diligent worker who is already picking up the slack by attending to things that aren't part of their job description because they see immediate shortfalls that need tending to and the slackers aren't there to do it. The diligent worker isn't the one taking up time complaining. They're the ones who complain outside of the job or quit in frustration because there is no alternative because the powers that be are just as slackazzed or unobservant as the employees they oversee.

I'll agree that negativity in the workplace is a huge issue in many places, but I'll disagree with those half dozen books that state who's at the heart of the problem. Who's issue is that to control? The employer's by both not being part of the problem and by being observant as to what's going on around them, stepping in and putting a stop to the crap by getting rid of non-working, non-diligent complainers as described above. They are there to manage the operation and there are so many who don't have a clue in a carload with respect to what it takes to create a harmoneous workplace. More people have jobs in management that got there strictly by either bullsh!tting their way there, nepotism or seniority, not because they manage effectively. Managers may know the job itself well (the product and how it works), but that doesn't make them automatically qualified to be effective at managing people.
 Lint Spotter
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 5/14/2010 4:41:59 PM

How about those that complain to let people know there is a problem (such as the OP)
That would be to effect change; education is the first step to effecting change and after five months of this, it certainly isn't the OPs M.O.

How about those that complain just to vent. (like me)
And that would be for pity.

You are not offering any advice on your posts you are just slamming the people that don't share your opinions.
Au contraire. I'm disagreeing and stating my opinion and backing it up with reason and knowledge that I've gained in reading the books... which would be step one, trying to effect change by education.

Your posts don't express a point of view just negativity I suggest if you don't have anything constuctive to contribute then don't bother posting.
 BLoNde__ANgeL
Msg: 21
Posted: 1/1/2012 1:53:32 PM
yes I left THAT JOB & yes, heard from many of their clientele afterwards, they left also...plus heard a worker JUST UP AND WALKED OUT... karma, and more karma
HAPPY 2012
 BLoNde__ANgeL
Msg: 22
Posted: 4/18/2012 2:07:34 PM
update- a week after I left, one worker who was there the longest walked out w/o any notice- she finally had to do some work- found out one of the bosses/owners was arrested for a crime(fraud) & half the clientele left(not cuz of the criminal thing, just a huge disorganized mess!)

Karma is a b!tch, no?

these women were liars, manipulators, unfair & expected their skills art BS-ing people to run the business? well, la-dee-dah to them...you cannot build anything, let alone a house or a business on a foundation of sand!
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 23
Posted: 4/18/2012 2:12:27 PM

Karma is a b!tch, no?

So if you believe in Karma, why the gloating?
 click4love
Msg: 24
Posted: 4/18/2012 7:42:36 PM
Awwwww it is kinda cute that the OP just found out that people suck
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >