Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Ska_Voovie
Msg: 3
view profile
History
The customer is not always right! Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
the place will soon go out of business if the shop owner keeps paying for the customers food !!!..... i can't imagine ronny mc'donny's empire would have grown if he kept giving away unpaid for food to anyone who decided to return & claim they had asked for it !

BTW - this tread is in english & not nonsense either
 Got Trance
Msg: 4
The customer is not always right!
Posted: 5/15/2010 6:19:21 AM

So, even though you were "right" in that instance, doesn't sound like you handled the situation very maturely and even considered the customer.

How do you come to that conclusion?
She explained to the guy what the woman ordered.

Why is it so many people think that the costumer should be given FREE food?

I worked at a pizza place for many years. People sure do **** and moan about the most ridiculous things.

I accidentally cut a stuffed crust pizza into 12 slices, should be cut into 8 slices, the customer demanded a free pizza. She did not get one.

Another customer wanted a free pizza because not all the slices were the same size.
And on and on and..........

Steve
 RushLuv
Msg: 7
Posted: 5/15/2010 8:39:41 AM
It's good to know that I'm not the only one who believes in the "Customers is always right nonsense."

Having previously worked in customer service for 3 years, a lot of customers like to use that customers is always right nonsense to their advantage.
 Got Trance
Msg: 8
Posted: 5/15/2010 5:05:13 PM
She laughs (LOL) about it in the forums. That's very immature of her and inappropriate treatment of the "customer".

How is her laughing about it here being immature and inappropriately treating the customer?
She did not state that she laughed at the customer while he was in front of her.
I do not see why he will not be back. You are right, he goofed. I doubt that means he will not be back.
You are reading waaaaaaay more into her post than is reasonable.
I have made mistakes similar to that guy. I was embarrassed but I still went back.
 raxarsr
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 5/15/2010 6:29:20 PM
^^^^ fired her on the spot?........for doing her job right?......your not much of a manager............i'm betting.if she had given away some fries.you wouda fired her for that too

sounds to me that the op handled it correctlyand the customer walked away content.............what more do you need?
 Got Trance
Msg: 10
Posted: 5/15/2010 7:28:22 PM
staceyssc where do you work? I'm really hungry but only have enough for a burger. Figure I will order just that then walk out come back in and complain that I did not get my entire order. Not only is the burger wrong but I also did not get the large order of fries. I am sure you will give me another burger, some fries and even a sodapop.

Hungry man
 peppermint petunias
Msg: 12
Posted: 11/16/2010 12:00:14 PM
It's fries/chips..Smile and give them to the customer.

I blame poor management or training..You should have been told what policy is in place and that you have a certain range to keep customers happy with out having to stop the presses and check with someone..1-5 bucks or 50-200..

Wait until you have one that orders a 2500.00 car repair and comes back the next week saying they also wanted a 100.00 ac tune up..yeah ate that one with a smile.

Who's going to argue over a 100 bucks after they just spent 2500?
The mark up is pretty generous in most cases.

An unhappy customer tells the world you suck.
A happy one comes back, keeps spending and tells family and friends how great you are..

It doesn't matter who is right or wrong..it's the potential loss/gain.
 Ed Bear
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 11/16/2010 1:23:38 PM
There's a popular business theory, epitomized by the book "Customer satisfaction is nothing; customer loyalty is everything."

The theory is that "loyalty programs," bonuses and lock-in countracts would do the job.

I disagree; MacDonald's was known in its early years for not being willing to special order, but they did give away a lot of free food. If they took too long, got things wrong, even sometimes if you had an out-of-date coupon. After they started accepting special orders, their assembly-line workers had a hard time not putting cheese on things, though I'm always careful to warn them of my allergies. They always understood (unlike most other mom-and-pop restaurants) that it's never safe to scrape something off food and return it to the customer, who may get sick or die. And they've cheerfully replaced as many as FIVE orders when they couldn't get their staff to stop the cheese-it reflex.

Their procedures may screw up, but as long as I understand I have to check for myself and they will always replace it, I'll keep them on m y list of places to visit sometimes. Less since I stopped eating burgers in '03, and they only have to keep the mayo off the McChickens.

BUT industry has found that larger prices make people willing to put up with more to save more. Burgers or kleenex are cheap, and the effort to shop elsewhere barely worth it, but look at autos and air travel - why the heck would anyone fly Air Canada if they weren't counting on flyer points and the fact that most of their flights have either no alternatives or sold-out alternatives.

ED BEAR
 Sweet_Le_Senza
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 11/19/2010 4:24:27 PM
And sometimes you get customers like this!

Woman freaks out at McDonalds drive through!

Enjoy! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siSITakl_s4
 daynadaze
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 11/19/2010 4:54:48 PM
Over an order of chips? I'd have given him a bag of chips (or do you mean chips like in fish & chips?) anyway, not worth the loss of a customer over a mistake. I doubt he came back just to get some free chips, he thought it was left off his order, and if he ended up making off with some chips, who cares, unless he comes back and tries it again. I guarantee you that more business is gained by offering the man some free chips than by making a point and showing him up. It's not like he try to rip off a side of beef. Since it didn't sound like he was being an ass, just confused, I don't get the reason behind bad customer service.
Msg: 19
Posted: 11/20/2010 4:35:55 PM
Working with the public sucks.They treat you like you are their personal punching bag.They act as if minimum wage means you have to take all the crud they can dish out.I'd rather dig a hole and cover myself up then ever work with the public again.
 Outdoor2
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 11/20/2010 10:03:38 PM

Working with the public sucks

LOL....not like you're a part of the public. Sure...you can dig a hole....dig deep enough and you'll be all alone.

If anyone thinks that "the public" suck, maybe everyone should make a greater effort to insure that "the public" recognizes that we are all potentially the same....
 Sweet_Le_Senza
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 11/21/2010 1:13:55 AM

If anyone thinks that "the public" suck, maybe everyone should make a greater effort to insure that "the public" recognizes that we are all potentially the same....

Genetically! We then have Galtons Five-Factor Personality Inventory and some of those who tip the scale in certain areas can be quite annoying!
Msg: 22
Posted: 11/21/2010 1:59:17 AM
not like you're a part of the public. Sure...you can dig a hole....dig deep enough and you'll be all alone.

Of course I am part of the public but not a part of those people who see people who work at minimum wage jobs as someone I can take out all of my frustrations and anger on.People realize that the poor shmuck behind the counter at the convenience store cant say anything back to the jerk off who has had a bad day and decided to come in and take it out on you.Managers will not back you up if you happen to get ticked at being called every name in the book just because you dont happen to carry a certain paper or if you dont happen to be fast enough gettin their change to them.People who work with the public have to constantly be eating crud and not a dang thing they can do about it.

As for being alone in that hole.I would like that better then serving all the asses out there.
 Ed Bear
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 11/23/2010 12:15:17 AM
But, FyrKrakn, that path violates people's sense of fairness - and laws that prohibit discrimination, too, as we've seen in the many bar and club owners who say "I'm not prejudiced, I just don't want them ************s in my place because they're cheap and bother the wimmin!" And doesn't everyone get POed when they find everyone on the plane paid a different price for their ticket?

Don't forget that a good word from picky customers often carries more weight to their friends and other contacts.

Last night, I went to see THE SOCIAL NETWORK. My companion for the show, when I offered by free passes, countered that she had one of her own because the cinema had sold her the wrong ticket and made her miss her film last week. They'd both refunded her money AND given her a pass for next time.

At the lineup, the cashier warned us the heat was out in the house we'd be attending, and that if we wanted a refund we should ask within the first half-hour. (Note: virtually all first-run cinemas will usually refund admission without question to those who leave within the first hour, or first half, of the show - despite explicit non-refund policies on their tickets.) My companion rolled her eyes and said, "Not again!" The adjacent cashier, recognizing her from last week, spoke up to our cashier, saying "They tried to see the same film last week. Give them a freebie." (I wasn't there last week, and I wonder who she went with who could be mistaken for me!)

The cashier serving us actually protested that we'd been warned and shouldn't get a freebie, but the other one - knowing she'd already been given one pass - insisted, understanding that two failures on consecutive weeks can seriously dent an entertainment customer's trust in a place when their evenings are ruined.

She sat in her coat and scarf and fur hat; I took off my jacket, gloves and helmet. Pretty good film, too, and I hope the subject matter was why she didn't talk about much except making money.
ED BEAR
 nipoleon
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 1/13/2011 2:47:21 AM
You will never understand how petty, rude, selfish, and cruel people can be.....
Until you've worked in the service industry.

Every young American should be drafted into a service job and made to work at least 2 years, dealing with the public.
This experience would do wonders for civility in our society.
Msg: 27
Posted: 1/13/2011 9:35:08 PM

You will never understand how petty, rude, selfish, and cruel people can be.....
Until you've worked in the service industry.

This is so true.People will complain about the most foolish and stupid things.I worked in a pizza parlor years back now and the round decorative paper that is placed under the pizza which sits on a big plate, happened to be a tiny bit torn underneath.This hateful woman screamed blue murder about that.First of all you could not even see the tiny tear until you finish the entire pizza,(she finished the whole large pizza by herself), and second of all the paper is decorative only.The big plate was washed after each and every use so why she got her panties in a twist I don't know.

One thing I learned about the public is that they way they see minimum wage worker is their personal whipping post to take out their frustrations on.Apparently they think that minimum wage means you must eat their sh!T.I would sooner live in a box on the street then ever work with the public again.
 Ed Bear
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 1/15/2011 7:07:05 AM
Gee, Nipoleon, I thought it WAS compulsory for young people to spend a while in retail or service...

Seriously, I tell young people who ask me for advice three things:

1. Never work child care.
2. Never work sales.
3. Never work food service.

I used to say don't tell them you can type, but these days we all do for our computers.
ED BEAR
 arwen52
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 1/15/2011 7:07:49 PM
As offenses go, this seems minor.

They made have made a mistake, but if you are smart you will be polite and try to make sure they get what they want. That's your job.

A few weeks ago I had a client show up 20 minutes early for an appointment. I had a client before her and showed up for her exactly on time. She complained about waiting for 20 minutes and said she was in a hurry. Well, you can't make an appointment for 10:30 and expect to be taken at 10:10. That's unreasonable. I didn't argue with her. I confirmed that her appointment was, in fact, for 10:30 and that there had not been a miscommunication and said, "I'm sorry you had to wait, I had an appointment before you." She shut up. Nothing I can do about that.

Customers make mistakes. Some of them are small, some are significant. Some customers are unreasonable. A good service provider does not get picky about whether they were "right" and tries to take care of the customer's reasonable requests as best they can.

As for the unreasonable people - not much you can do about them. Don't let them ruin your day.
 karma1160
Msg: 32
Posted: 1/17/2011 8:48:42 PM
While the customer might not be right, it is definitely not worth making a big deal
out of it, get him the chips and move on.
While I do understand that customers can be petty, I have worked in the service
trade before it still is to your best benefit to give him what he wants and get
him the heeeeeeel out of there. it's a bag of chips!
Many moons ago I worked in Caribou and I had a woman come to the counter,
and order a cup of coffee, She had this beautiful green sweater on, so I said
Wow that sure is a beautiful springy sweater, she looked cold dead into my eyes and said just get me my coffee.
I never will forget that, my theory is some people need coffee, before they get
to the coffee shop.ugggggg
 karma1160
Msg: 33
Posted: 1/17/2011 9:06:22 PM
RULE #1 NEVER PISS OFF THE COOK
RULE #2 NEVER PISS OFF PEOPLE WITH SHARP OBJECTS!
RULE #3 IF YOU SHOW UP EARLY FOR AN APPOINTMENT, GOOD FOR YOU, IT STILL IS NOT YOUR TIME.
RULE #4 IF YOU SHOW UP OVER 15 MINUTES LATE YOU WILL BE WAITING UNTIL WE CAN WORK YOU IN.
RULE #5 LUNCH IS BETWEEN 12:30 AND 1:30, IF YOU SHOW UP AT 1PM YOU WILL BE WAITING FOR A HALF AN HOUR.
I AM DONE NOW WHEEEEEEW
 Rainiqui
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 1/26/2011 2:37:45 PM
BentonHarbor -

They didn’t lose a a thing except two people who probably felt “empowered” by being so foolish and childish themselves. This food order snafu description is all one sided and chances are huge there is much MUCH more not being shared that would change the perception of it all!

NO ONE is EVER “doomed” to bad service whether they kiss asses or not---if you’re PAYING for a service you have the right to expect it being delivered to your expectations. That of course assumes you can and do clearly state what you want or at least understand what service you’ll receive. You’re “doomed” because you’re not able better articulate yourself in food orders OR hair cuts---gawd knows what else!

Really??? Well guess what? YOUR experiences are ALSO all one sided and chances are huge there is much MUCH more not being shared that would change the perception of it all! Why do you find it so unbelievable that the experience could have happened EXACTLY as stated? And to step it up a notch by employing ad hominem fallacies? Bottom line - neither you nor I were there to witness said event. However, I would never dream of pompously assuming that this misunderstanding MUST have resulted from the poster's inability to "articulate" herself as to her order.

Customers who walk away mad like above aren’t really losses at all since their own bad impressions seemingly justify the so called bad treatment they claim they’ve received.

Questionable Cause Fallacy - Your causal conclusion is being drawn without adequate justification.

FWIW I’ve been in the same business for over 22 years, NEVER advertise and yet still busy as I want to be and profitable too---can’t argue with that I’m thinking!

Red Herring Fallacy - Your personal business history has absolutely nothing to do with the situation described in post # 38 and most certainly does not grant you privilege to judge culpability of the poster's articulation skills.
 femaleconnection
Msg: 37
Posted: 1/26/2011 3:05:03 PM
The customer asked if they had ordered chips, and she answered his questions factually.

Perhaps the only thing I would have done differently was to ask if he would now like some chips, and tell him the cost of the chips so he could decide on that.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 1/27/2011 2:12:03 AM
Actually, it's my impression that many people are less civil BECAUSE they spent early years working in low wage jobs dealing with rude and selfish customers. What we could REALLY use, is to make "how to be a customer" a part of required public schooling.
Most people have to figure out how to deal with others in a reasonable and functional manner by struggling to make their parents brief admonitions to "say please and thank you," work in the often more complex realities they face, under great stress. I remember my own journey to learn what was what, and it wasn't at all smooth. The first time I ran into a server who'd had a rough day, and was curt with me, I was shocked and dismayed. Other people (also experiencially ignorant) charged me up by warning me that if I didn't act tough with ALL servers, they'd walk all over me.
When I first started to deal with people AS a server/vendor, I found the hard way that few of them knew how to be customers, too. They didn't know what to expect, or how to ask for it, so a lot of aggravation resulted.
It's the GUESSING how to have a good customer-server interaction that causees the problems. Basic schooling could help!
 nipoleon
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 1/28/2011 2:36:34 PM
There is no excuse for a person who works in the business giving another person in the business a hard time.
For a waitress being crummy to another waitress or a bartender mistreating another bartender is unforgivable. Unfortunately, it happens all the time.
I've seen waitresses and bartenders go to another bar or restaurant and do all the things they hate from civilians.
They're service workers, they're not personal slaves.

I always try and make things easy on the people who's job it is to give me service.
I get better and friendlier service that way.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >