Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > No more contact after you tell them what you do for a living      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 andrew8765
Msg: 51
No more contact after you tell them what you do for a livingPage 3 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
To the OP, even though you're a cabbie, on your profile do you explain your situation (and that it isn't your ideal job, just one that's convenient for a certain time) and does that change the response a bit?

Or do they just go 'cabbie? nah!'
 minxinheels
Msg: 52
No more contact after you tell them what you do for a living
Posted: 11/28/2010 4:59:58 PM
There are plenty of jobs out there for people who want to get one.

If you can't get a proper job, go out and re-educate yourself!

Going to uni is free, if you get into a HECS/HELP place. (You just have to pay it back once you are earning a certain amount). Whilst you do need to pay for TAFE, there are lots of scholarships and study grants for mature age students (mature age being over 21!).

Lots of universities offer scholarships to single parents - you simply have to keep up with good grades (which is pretty simple at uni - you only need 80% for a high distinction!).

People just need to stop whinging about the lack of jobs and further their education or accept that there will be less dating options because they chose to stay in a junk job.
 imaranga
Msg: 53
Posted: 11/28/2010 6:28:51 PM
As I asked before "who" determines what is a junk job? Also, I have just finished yet another tafe course in the hope that further qualifications will bring much needed work. My problem is that at almost 50, employers are not keen - why is beyond me as I am not likely to be leaving to start a family, go backpacking or anything else of that ilk.
I now have several qualifications, apply for an average of 10 to 15 jobs per week, lucky to hear back from 1 or 2. Some say "overqualified" others not enough experience.

It's very easy to sit in judgement, but things aren't always black and white, there may be a whole host of reasons why people are not employed in "respectable" occupations, if indeed they are employed at all.

BTW my son is a mature student at the ripe old age of 22 and Uni is not free, he will end up owing the government around $50k by the time he completes his degrees.
 minxinheels
Msg: 54
Posted: 11/28/2010 6:48:59 PM
HECS/HELP mean it's free UP FRONT. I myself owe about $15,000 in HECS/HELP. But your up front cost is NOTHING.

Junk jobs are determines by people on an individual level.

My point is - if you're having no luck because of your job, change it.

Wow, $50,000. Your son must be doing full fee paying? Most courses are about $5,000 a year. So unless your son is planning on staying for 10 years that's probably a bit of an exaggeration!

Honestly, if your job situation is causing people to not want to date you, my point is, you can go out and change it.

Maybe you can't get a job because of your blame everyone else for everything personality?
 Bob67890
Msg: 55
Posted: 11/28/2010 11:40:38 PM
^^^
Honestly, if your job situation is causing people to not want to date you, my point is, you can go out and change it.

Maybe you can't get a job because of your blame everyone else for everything personality?

the OP

I am a cab driver i have been doing it for 5 years , but im currently looking for a new position. I did it because it could work around my childrens custody time, i have 50%. I did it so i could have some quality time with them but i think people look down on me because of it.

your post comes across as judgmental and snobby..
 madmaxmel
Msg: 56
Posted: 11/28/2010 11:43:00 PM
OMG this has been a harsh and critical banter about education. Maybe
I should join rich bloke in his not wanting to date teachers. Teachers appear to be a bit spoiled by the government and critical of the real workforce where life is harder--- partically right now in the world depression we in. Real workforce has been forced to take lower wages to keep jobs why teachers go on strike with continuing wage rises.
 imaranga
Msg: 57
Posted: 11/29/2010 2:33:38 AM
Looking back on previous posts of mine, I have not laid "blame" anywhere other than my age!
Just trying to point out that some things are not black and white.

My son is doing a double degree and will be studying overseas, hence the larger debt, as you see everything is not black and white.

For a teacher you still have an awful lot of learning to do!
 minxinheels
Msg: 58
Posted: 11/29/2010 3:42:51 AM
Before I was a teacher, I did other things - including junk jobs! Then I decided to grow up, stop wasting time and finish my education.
 tie_me_up81
Msg: 59
Posted: 12/1/2010 1:39:13 AM
Wow, a teacher? That's an uber high education!
 mrshannon74
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 12/29/2010 7:56:34 PM
oh wow this thread is still going..

Hmm it seems with alot of women here just think becaue you have a crap job you are a loser ..WRONG JUST PLAIN WRONG AND VERY SAD AS WELL MIGH T I SAY

My job is not my ideal job but i share custody with my children (over 50%) and the job fits in with that , thats all it is

So going on responses here im a loser because i want to correctly look after my children WOWWWW im a real loser..

There is alot of shallow minded people on here!!!!
 mrshannon74
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 12/29/2010 7:58:22 PM
and to add to that look at the man himself not his position , just know his not a loser thats at least not going to sit on the dole and do nothing...
 iSlandeRon1967
Msg: 63
Posted: 3/8/2011 4:40:15 AM
Because too many women on here are very superficial. I'll tell you how i know, i had on my profile that i'm a assistant produce manager and i get practically no emails and very little response to my emails. So i made another "test" profile that is exactly like mine, only thing different is I changed my job to dentist and uploaded a pic of a very nice looking man. I'm not responding to the emails because the purpose of the test profile is not to trick people, only to see if what i thought was true is true and guess what? ...In the first 24 hours, i got about 15 emails from women ( some i had emailed from my other profile with no response ) with about all of them saying nice profile and they love to smile or calling me Dr. Smile. So i think thats pretty eye opening.
 tinapenny
Msg: 64
Posted: 3/8/2011 5:09:03 AM
You have too many variables to say definitively that it's the occupation that changes things there. You put a different pic up as well.

Personally I wouldn't have a dentist.....I mean, they're probably very nice blokes and all that but....they do tortuous things to your teeth. I can hardly bring myself to make eye contact with my dentist without a handful of valium and a support team.

Besides which, what are you doing on the Aus forum? We're not superficial at all
 greyingred
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 3/8/2011 8:17:45 AM
^^^^am with you there. They have a high rate of job disatisfaction, depression, drug/alcohol dependency and noticably higher than average suicide rate. Keep thinking of the man (Steve Martin?) in Little Shop of Horrors...who as a child enjoyed inflicting pain so his mother realised he would make a good if sadistic dentist. Bit like dating a Gynaecologist, who on his holidays wallpapers the hall through the letter box in the front door, ironically far too anal. or the plumber who always turns up too late so the flood has already happened and still doesn't finish even his own job.
 tinapenny
Msg: 66
Posted: 3/9/2011 3:48:27 AM
^^^I know a plumber like that!!

It has crossed my mind before that a gynaecologist might get a bit bored with looking at bits all day. Might make a relationship problematic.
 Tabris
Msg: 67
Posted: 3/9/2011 5:34:13 PM
If someone doesn't want anything to do with you after they find out what your job is then just say "oh well, shit happens lol" and move on. It'll give you more time to talk to other people :)
 melty1
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 3/13/2011 3:24:29 AM
Gee! At least you work, unlike some
 tie_me_up81
Msg: 69
Posted: 3/15/2011 3:44:07 PM
It's funny how most of these women have low status jobs or no jobs at all but they still will only settle for a man with a high status job.
 tensail
Msg: 70
Posted: 5/4/2012 1:27:24 AM
well it shows u ver lost or ur not compatable.
 qldblue
Msg: 71
Posted: 5/4/2012 4:20:17 AM
What is classed as a low status job??

Unfortunately a lot of guys on this site are looking for women their age who can still wear clothing that shows the woman as a young model.

I was once talking to a woman from this site about photoshopping and she put a photo up of her face on a bikini model's body and she went from getting very few messages to an overfilled message box.

At our age it isn't what a woman of 50 can wear but more about who that woman is in regards to her personality and how that woman can stimulate our interest in them as a partner in crime, wife or friend.

I dated for a little time a school bus driver and I didn't think that her job was of a low status and I have a friend who works as a cleaner in an old peoples home and I don't think that her job is of a low status either.
 Hilly02
Msg: 72
Posted: 5/4/2012 4:28:51 AM
I really don't care...though I would have to draw the line at someone who worked in an abattoir!
 gingerosity
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 5/4/2012 4:32:34 AM

What is classed as a low status job??

Oompa Loompa? Seriously though, just put it on your profile if its a problem. Then you know everyone who is still interested has no problem with it.
 Forestsnow
Msg: 74
Posted: 5/5/2012 7:25:14 AM
Tell them it's none of their business unless they plan on marrying you. Asking after your profession is rude and used to be well know for being a rude question to ask. Next time someone asks tell them you work at a genealogy lab splitting the DNA of rabbits and turtles to see if you can up production of a new food supply. Works for me. ;)
 Forestsnow
Msg: 75
Posted: 5/5/2012 7:29:07 AM
iSlandeRon1967
The test isn't accurate. Use your profile and only change the profession. You put up a picture of a very nice looking man and a high value job, which affects your test theory. :) But yes there are women who go for a high value job and others who go for looks. And most will go for both.
Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > No more contact after you tell them what you do for a living