Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > No more contact after you tell them what you do for a living      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 tinapenny
Msg: 64
No more contact after you tell them what you do for a livingPage 4 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
You have too many variables to say definitively that it's the occupation that changes things there. You put a different pic up as well.

Personally I wouldn't have a dentist.....I mean, they're probably very nice blokes and all that but....they do tortuous things to your teeth. I can hardly bring myself to make eye contact with my dentist without a handful of valium and a support team.

Besides which, what are you doing on the Aus forum? We're not superficial at all
 greyingred
Msg: 65
view profile
History
No more contact after you tell them what you do for a living
Posted: 3/8/2011 8:17:45 AM
^^^^am with you there. They have a high rate of job disatisfaction, depression, drug/alcohol dependency and noticably higher than average suicide rate. Keep thinking of the man (Steve Martin?) in Little Shop of Horrors...who as a child enjoyed inflicting pain so his mother realised he would make a good if sadistic dentist. Bit like dating a Gynaecologist, who on his holidays wallpapers the hall through the letter box in the front door, ironically far too anal. or the plumber who always turns up too late so the flood has already happened and still doesn't finish even his own job.
 tinapenny
Msg: 66
Posted: 3/9/2011 3:48:27 AM
^^^I know a plumber like that!!

It has crossed my mind before that a gynaecologist might get a bit bored with looking at bits all day. Might make a relationship problematic.
 Tabris
Msg: 67
Posted: 3/9/2011 5:34:13 PM
If someone doesn't want anything to do with you after they find out what your job is then just say "oh well, shit happens lol" and move on. It'll give you more time to talk to other people :)
 melty1
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 3/13/2011 3:24:29 AM
Gee! At least you work, unlike some
 tie_me_up81
Msg: 69
Posted: 3/15/2011 3:44:07 PM
It's funny how most of these women have low status jobs or no jobs at all but they still will only settle for a man with a high status job.
 tensail
Msg: 70
Posted: 5/4/2012 1:27:24 AM
well it shows u ver lost or ur not compatable.
 qldblue
Msg: 71
Posted: 5/4/2012 4:20:17 AM
What is classed as a low status job??

Unfortunately a lot of guys on this site are looking for women their age who can still wear clothing that shows the woman as a young model.

I was once talking to a woman from this site about photoshopping and she put a photo up of her face on a bikini model's body and she went from getting very few messages to an overfilled message box.

At our age it isn't what a woman of 50 can wear but more about who that woman is in regards to her personality and how that woman can stimulate our interest in them as a partner in crime, wife or friend.

I dated for a little time a school bus driver and I didn't think that her job was of a low status and I have a friend who works as a cleaner in an old peoples home and I don't think that her job is of a low status either.
 Hilly02
Msg: 72
Posted: 5/4/2012 4:28:51 AM
I really don't care...though I would have to draw the line at someone who worked in an abattoir!
 gingerosity
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 5/4/2012 4:32:34 AM

What is classed as a low status job??

Oompa Loompa? Seriously though, just put it on your profile if its a problem. Then you know everyone who is still interested has no problem with it.
 Forestsnow
Msg: 74
Posted: 5/5/2012 7:25:14 AM
Tell them it's none of their business unless they plan on marrying you. Asking after your profession is rude and used to be well know for being a rude question to ask. Next time someone asks tell them you work at a genealogy lab splitting the DNA of rabbits and turtles to see if you can up production of a new food supply. Works for me. ;)
 Forestsnow
Msg: 75
Posted: 5/5/2012 7:29:07 AM
iSlandeRon1967
The test isn't accurate. Use your profile and only change the profession. You put up a picture of a very nice looking man and a high value job, which affects your test theory. :) But yes there are women who go for a high value job and others who go for looks. And most will go for both.
 qldblue
Msg: 76
Posted: 5/5/2012 4:58:42 PM
So Forestsnow, how is that job coming along, have you succeeded in finding that new food source?

Last year I decided to semi retire and only help out friends with their kitchen work and I ended up working 60 to 70 hours a week so I went back to full time work and only work 40 hours a week in a different occupation.

This new job allows me to work Monday to Friday with weekends off and I have too admit that it hasn't changed the number of contacts all that much, maybe allowed me more time to get out there and meet more people.

I think that the people who are hooked on the high paying jobs are in the minority and unfortunately the minority is ruining it for the majority.

If people think that their happiness is going to be tied to their partners income then in these times having a partner who is just working is a great bonus.
 MustangGirl1965
Msg: 77
Posted: 5/15/2012 7:53:25 AM
The man I'm dating right now is a labourer. I don't mind what my man's job is, never have, never will. I've dated men with managerial jobs, labouring jobs, and everything in between, from building sites, to restaurant kitchens, universities to parade grounds. And it doesn't matter...

What I do care about is the man himself. Is he kind, caring, compassionate, considerate, communicative, compatible? Is he honest, trustworthy, reliable, genuine and sincere? Is he fun to be with and do we share interests? Is he clever, witty, attractive, someone I'd like to introduce to my family and friends? Is he someone I can see a positive and happy future with?

They're the things which matter.
 Jewel_Of_Denial
Msg: 82
Posted: 5/15/2012 12:00:02 PM
i'm not bagging women, i'm sure blokes are exactly the same, but if i put medical doctor as my profession i'm sure my inbox would get a lot more action.
 Noxious_Hysteria
Msg: 83
Posted: 5/15/2012 11:10:02 PM
No one has stopped talking to me after I tell them what I do, they are out of the door LONG before I even get to my vocation! LOL
 gingerosity
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Posted: 5/16/2012 1:18:48 AM
Which nation would be a nice location for a vacation from my vocation?

That was as far as I got before she ran away.
 MegJ29
Msg: 85
Posted: 9/10/2012 9:47:49 PM
Women aren't worried about money more than the person but we do need financial security especially if they are like me and have three kids to think off. Women think of terms of the future and even though it doesn't matter when things aren't serious what the person does for a living or how much money he makes further down the track it might. Women who earn their own money and are totally independant wont care what you do for a living they will still take interest in you and I think if you wait around thats what you will get.
 BlokeInSydney
Msg: 86
Posted: 9/11/2012 1:13:13 AM
What a man does for a living matters to a potential mate I've heard. It's a shame you're having trouble finding a woman who can look beyond that.

Reminds me of the old industry joke in my business: 'Please don't tell my mother I work in television, she thinks I'm a piano player in a brothel!' lol

Seriously, we all have to do what we have to sometimes to make a living, when I was struggling for tv work 10 years ago I had to drive cabs on and off for 4 years. I despised it but did what I had to to support my family.
 AnAustralianWoman
Msg: 87
Posted: 9/30/2012 8:47:20 AM
I don't think the women are put off by your job, I think YOU are. It's obvious that you are not happy driving cab's and are looking for confirmation to leave your current job.
Perhap's it is your negativity that put's women off.
I work as a care aide.....change diaper's on big people, wipe bottom's and clean up spew. I love my job. It's not everyone's cup of tea, the pay is crap but, it's rewarding.
If a person does not respect what I do for a living then bye bye.
 SwanLake73
Msg: 88
Posted: 10/3/2012 7:56:06 AM
anaustralianwoman..
there is a young fella in here who would be over the moon to find somone keen to change adult diapers...
Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > No more contact after you tell them what you do for a living