Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Alberta  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 SylvanSwan
Msg: 26
Online dating opinionsPage 2 of 2    (1, 2)

Can someone get this lady a date? sheesh. These forums are already over micro-managed.

Yeah you did mean to offend me otherwise you wouldn't have said it. But don't worry it didn't work. I have no problems getting a date so please note, no one has to do me any favors, OK?

And I'd like to point out too that when OP's from somewhere else "Road Trip" they usually don't come back. And neither did this OP (so far).

And it makes no sense to me why an OP from the UK would post here. It is a bit of a different culture between here and there, so how is that going to be of help to him?
 a_lonewolf
Msg: 27
Online dating opinions
Posted: 12/2/2011 2:30:59 PM

And I'd like to point out too that when OP's from somewhere else "Road Trip" they usually don't come back. And neither did this OP (so far).

Actually he did. This thread was started in May of 2010, he came back and posted again 5 months later in October 2010. Is it his fault someone dug it out of the archives?
According to his history, his last post in any thread was almost a year ago, so he is probably long gone.

And it makes no sense to me why an OP from the UK would post here. It is a bit of a different culture between here and there, so how is that going to be of help to him?

I thought it was good to learn from other cultures. Guess I'm wrong. Besides, the last time I checked, the dating scene in Fort McMurray was totally different than the one in Camrose.
Just sayin'
 SylvanSwan
Msg: 28
Online dating opinions
Posted: 12/2/2011 3:25:59 PM

Actually he did. This thread was started in May of 2010, he came back and posted again 5 months later in October 2010. Is it his fault someone dug it out of the archives?
According to his history, his last post in any thread was almost a year ago, so he is probably long gone.

Yup like I said, the OP is long gone. And as far as someone digging it out of archives, well quite frankly you are mistaking me for someone who gives a shit. I merely made an observation, plain and simple. And apparently my observation didn't sit well with you? Enough for you to not only judge me, but flame me as well....

I thought it was good to learn from other cultures. Guess I'm wrong. Besides, the last time I checked, the dating scene in Fort McMurray was totally different than the one in Camrose.
Just sayin'

Google is your friend, and I'm sure that unless one is living in those towns therein the interest would lie. Otherwise, may I suggest a vacation there to really experience the culture....

valco1
Msg: 29
Online dating opinions
Posted: 12/4/2011 12:49:55 PM
Posted By: sylvanswan on 12/2/2011 1235 PM

how that's came?
accordingly to census (2006) total population in Alberta is 3,290,350.
2,140,105 (about 64-65%) considering themselves to be a brits, so how it can be different culture?
at same time only 53,855 have direct connection to England as an immigrant.

sadly only 667,405 or 20,5% of total population considering themselves to be canadians.
seems like majority of albertans ashamed to be canadians.
 SylvanSwan
Msg: 30
Online dating opinions
Posted: 12/6/2011 12:50:41 AM
@valco:
how that's came?
accordingly to census (2006) total population in Alberta is 3,290,350.
2,140,105 (about 64-65%) considering themselves to be a brits, so how it can be different culture?
at same time only 53,855 have direct connection to England as an immigrant.

What census from where?

Apparently I should explain what I meant by "a bit of a different culture": Although there are the simularities in language, government structure and the alliegance to the queen, bla bla bla, the culture still differs, for example:

The UK's ethnic group population is comprised of white (of which English 83.6%, Scottish 8.6%, Welsh 4.9%, Northern Irish 2.9%) 92.1%, black 2%, Indian 1.8%, Pakistani 1.3%, mixed 1.2%, other 1.6% (2001 census)

Compared to Canada: British Isles origin 28%, French origin 23%, other European 15%, Amerindian 2%, other, mostly Asian, African, Arab 6%, mixed background 26%

For the UK: median age total: 40 years
male: 38.8 years
female: 41.1 years (2011 est.)

For Canada: median age total: 41 years
male: 39.8 years
female: 42.1 years (2011 est.)

Their death rate is much higher as well: 9.33 deaths/1,000 population (July 2011 est.)

Compared to Canada at 7.98 deaths/1,000 population (July 2011 est.)

Maybe the Brits are less healthy because of what they eat, drink and smoke...?

see: https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/ca.html
and https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/uk.html

sadly only 667,405 or 20,5% of total population considering themselves to be canadians.
seems like majority of albertans ashamed to be canadians.

Again I do not know where you are getting your info and nowhere can I find a post in this thread where someone mentioned being ashamed to be Canadian?

I consider myself Canadian but my ethnic background is far, far away from the UK....

OT: The OP started a thread complaining and whining because he wasn't getting any dates:
I am curious what you women think of this online dating thing. I realize it's the 21st Century, but if you ask me, this online thing is a waste.

And I still stand by my previous answer is that his profile sucked rotten onions. He could use a profile review, and the last I read of his profile it sounded as if a high school kid wrote it.
 valco1
Msg: 31
Online dating opinions
Posted: 12/9/2011 10:04:54 AM

Posted By: sylvanswan on 12/6/2011 141 AM
What census from where?

StatsCanada.
b.t.w. turned out there more interesting reading than those profiles on POF or this forum. albeit they also mainly do lie, but still yet not as much as POFers do.
 Kevy999
Msg: 32
Online dating opinions
Posted: 12/9/2011 12:02:59 PM
You are right it is much better meeting and dating woman you actually see in person first and there is an attraction. You can't tell a thing about them from a photo that may be 10 years ago or in case some have no photos at all.
I just recently joined a few days ago to see what its all about. I usually went to bars or at work to date woman.
You can meet much better looking woman and classier woman in a social setting.
But if you want to try it for a few weeks for fun then that is okay. I am also sure there is that small percentage that take it seriously and find their soul mate.
But I would say many woman are on ego trips and want to see how many messages they can get from guys. And most of these woman I would not give a second glance of at the bar.
And yes there are some decent and respectful woman on these sites too, so I don't want to clump them all together.
To each his own I guess. Some people have been using these dating sites for years because that is what they feel comfortable with. I do think a social setting is the best way to meet the woman you are looking for.
Show ALL Forums  > Alberta  >