Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > When it comes to dating what best describes your intent?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 cotter
Msg: 51
view profile
History
When it comes to dating what best describes your intent?Page 3 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
I'm less interested in whether they want to marry me ... first I just want to get along with them. Why bother
asking if they want a relationship if they can't get along with me, it's going to be pretty apparent there
will be no relationship.

Just as some folks place no value on getting married or being in a relationship or whether or not they
know people (since they might just be here for a quick boink), they might not think it's important to
be able to get along with someone religiously or politically.

For me that's important and I'd appreciate a way for people to show intent in that way.

INTENT: Check one (or more).
**I intend to belittle my partner if they do not have the same political view.
**I intend to do my best to intimidate and indoctrinate my partner until they believe the same
as I do religiously.
 Sailinfool551
Msg: 52
When it comes to dating what best describes your intent?
Posted: 6/2/2010 7:18:34 PM
Just a post script... It REALLLY hacks me off that POF is now forcing you to make a choice as to your intent, i.e. casual dating, committment, lifelong partner, marriage, whatever. How can you know until you meet someone, if it will end up as just fun dating here and there, or maybe you finally find your soulmate? I will pick SOMETHING in the middle, but until we meet and explore whatever chemistry might be there, how can we know? I am open to anything from best of friends, to soulmates. The 'For' category from before isn't enough? This new thing is not only redundant, but is STUPID. I had to write a disclamer in my profile, hell your soulmate might pass you by just because of being forced to list intent doesn't sit well with the mood they are in at the moment........ Geeeeeeez along with the rest of the world, POF is getting dumbed down too......
 Mon Cherie
Msg: 53
Posted: 6/2/2010 9:05:01 PM
Good grief, most of the comments here should be discussed with the person you are interested in during the get to know you process. If you don't know the reason you are here then you are going to flop around like a fish out of water, you are wasting your time and other people's time, and you are clearly not serious so that pretty much answers the intention question right there.

For the person who said marriage is a bad option as an intent, I know a girl who stated clearly on her profile that she was looking for a husband and she met someone who was looking for a wife. They have now been married a couple of years. She avoided the game players right up front. So yes some people will choose that option.

Funny thing though. I just saw a profile that said both "looking for a relationship" and "not single/not looking". So I gather there is some inconsistency in the process of choosing an intention.
 *buzz*
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Posted: 6/3/2010 3:40:22 AM

Oh, if THAT'S what you want to know,

Yes, I would like to see some consistency . Too much to ask? I don't think so. Different strokes for different folks.
 wvwaterfall
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 6/3/2010 5:26:00 AM

Yes, I would like to see some consistency .

OK, let me turn that around on you. I haven't looked at your profile, but let's assume for the moment that you're looking for marriage.

Does that mean there is no one you'll interact with in life other than your prospective husband? If you met someone here who for whatever reason doesn't measure up in the husband prospect scale you'd have no interest in interacting with them on any other level?

Maybe that's indeed the way you're wired, but it's not the way I'm put together, and I resent being called a game player because I'm not so single minded that I'm unable to cherish relationships on more than one level. I've had platonic friendships, FWB relationships, and monogamous partnerships during my life and savored them all for what they were.

I would love to someday have my last first date. I also cherish the friendships I've formed here, and one of my fondest memories is of a week I spent with a woman from another country who I met on the forums and came to visit. We stay in electronic contact even if we may never meet in person again.

Maybe some would condemn me for having the audacity to enjoy a more casual encounter until and unless I meet my one special someone. Maybe Markus wants to make people of my ilk unwelcome. But I'm not leaving without making my displeasure known.

And as for consistency, I have consistently expressed myself this way on any profile I've ever put together and with any woman I've ever met. I consistently want my relationship with anyone to be the best it can be. I refuse to determine in advance exactly what that may entail until the two of us actually get to meet and learn more about each other.

What's inconsistent to me is when a woman I meet showers me with love and attention right up until the moment she decides I'm no longer husband material and than cuts me off completely. I've only had that happen twice, but resented the rudeness of it in both cases.

So yes, we both want consistency, even if we seem to define it differently. This new requirement makes it very difficult for me to continue to be consistent, and that's why I post here to express my concerns.

Dave
 *buzz*
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 6/3/2010 10:12:54 AM

OK, let me turn that around on you. I haven't looked at your profile, but let's assume for the moment that you're looking for marriage.

Not sure Dave, how I have fallen under your radar but your assumption - for the moment - is wrong although I would never say never ... but at the end of the day any ... ship is a two way street, isn't it?

So yes, we both want consistency, even if we seem to define it differently.

I think Dave that's the case - definition. But hey, I love man's perspective on any matter as life would be dull if there were not different opinions and the ways of expressing ourselves .
Voila~
 abelian
Msg: 57
Posted: 6/3/2010 2:02:17 PM

Seriously you guys are all PO"ed about this question and not one of the options work for you LMAO Maybe some of you need to do some personal introspection.

On the contrary, personal introspection is what led me to the realization that being in a relationship wasm't a goal acheived between like-minded people but a side effect of meeting someone who is open to a relationship with the right person, regardless of what that person's preconceptions are. For example, I wasn't looking for a wife, so I was open to different things (and I knew exactly what those were, why and what type of person would fit each. My fiancee was divorced 2 years prior to signing up here as Talk/Email and considered dating to be a somewhat remote possibilty. She managed to find me three weeks after she signed up. She was so sure she ruled out getting married again, that her dad referred to her as Miss I'll-never-get-married-again once the shock of telling him wore off.

I am sure a normal average person would likely think the same way about these "Intents" as I do.

I would also think the average person would realize that assuming much of anything about how others think is a recipe for disaster. Obviously you can see how far off the mark I'd be if I assumed much about the average person.

Besides I would imagine the majority of these questions we have been "forced" to answer have nothing to do with better matches and everything to do with "Advertising Demographics"

That's probably a good assumption, but then you have to accept the fact that you just contradicted yourself with regard to not leaving much room for people to interpret those options in the way they would like to interpret them.
 RushLuv
Msg: 58
Posted: 6/3/2010 2:27:16 PM

Seriously you guys are all PO"ed about this question and not one of the options work for you

I don't think it is so much that the option don't work for them. Some people are upset because they don't like the idea of being forced to choose. People can state what they please, but I have no issues with the new feature. As I stated earlier on in this thread, as long as people don't lie about their intentions, the new feature can easily be used as a way to weed people out.

I want to date but nothing serious = wants to date but nothing serious - Would say to me, looking to get out once in a while but lets not even use the "R" word around me LOL

I have that option selected on my profile. Also, it depends on how the "R" word is being used. Is it being used for the purpose of talking about past relationships or is being used to indicate a future relationship with one particular person? I'll let you figure that one out, since you are the one doing the interpreting.

I have already seen a few who say Long Term but Intent says "wants to date but nothing serious"

Which makes the "Intent" question to be yet another pointless feature. I came across a guy just today who had "Long Term" selected on his profile, but then his profile stated that he isn't seeking a relationship nor any kind of commitment. I think some people are either confused about the option, or just selecting anything ole thing just to continue sending and receiving messages.
 Principal_Lewis
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 6/3/2010 3:54:50 PM
This is just another stupid feature that the Admin thinks will make HIS website better. Don't ask us what we want. We're just the ones doing the dating.
Why isn't "Long Term" enough of an explanation to explain what your intent is? And also, if someone has upgraded themselves to the golden Serious Member status, then why do they still have to define their intent? I thought that was the whole idea behind upgrading to a Serious Member. The Admin should just leave us alone and let us choose for ourselves who we want to be with and stop forcing us to answer these kinds of stupid questions that no one wants to answer anyway.
Isn't this question supposed to be answered by us in our profile description? Isn't that where we're suppoed to tell everyone what we want and what our intentions are? Let us do it for ourselves!
Leave us alone!!!!
 RushLuv
Msg: 60
Posted: 6/3/2010 4:39:19 PM

Well even the being forced to answer thing, really is it this big a deal? When you sign up you have to select hang out, dating.... whatever. How big of a difference is this really???

Perhaps you aren't getting it. By being forced to make a selection for the "Intent" question, means that POF users CANNOT access our mail if we don't make a selection. First time signing up, and making a selection is not the same thing as being forced to make a selection or we won't be able to access a certain feature on the site.

You can change it at your will and it is no difference between this and what are you looking for.

Well, some people were disappointed because "Friends" is not an option for the new feature. Especially for the one's who aren't here to date.
 Mon Cherie
Msg: 61
Posted: 6/3/2010 6:23:51 PM
Nice straight forward thinking posts Angel Wings, and not just because we are on the same thinking wavelength either.

I'd like to see the "friends, dating, long term, not single....." thing just be replaced with "intent". That would work just fine by me.

Maybe they should add a "just here for forums" to the "intent" options. Or maybe they didn't because the forums are going away and only a small portion of the POF population even use the forums?

Maybe they don't want the friends option because this is a dating site???
 OTTO BONN
Msg: 62
Posted: 6/3/2010 7:31:02 PM
By being forced to make a selection for the "Intent" question, means that POF users CANNOT access our mail if we don't make a selection. First time signing up, and making a selection is not the same thing as being forced to make a selection or we won't be able to access a certain feature on the site.

Try leaving your Headline or City field blank when editing your profile. You will not be allowed to Update Profile until you do.

Even though there is an Intent selection on the Edit Profile page, there are those who would just refuse to update their profile in order to not have to choose an Intent, or previously, Income. Admin Bigfish has adapted.
 EvilLolli
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 6/3/2010 8:46:41 PM
See I object to it on the basis of admin's statements of "mandatory" and "forced" to comply with no "prefer not to say" option. Well that and since I can't find one that fits, I have had more junk emails than ever. It's like they stop reading once they get to intent and email, so what is the point of having anything but the intent on the profile?

The description "dating" was intent enough for me since it covers a broad base. This site is to meet people, not a catalog of shopping options to fit an empty spot in your life(sex, SO, or marriage). I may meet someone who's a friend, a fun date, or has potential for more, but I don't like having to limit it too much.
 cotter
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 6/3/2010 9:47:40 PM
I'm just going to go along with it as I did when we had to post our income.

I chose the most I could choose and then wrote an explanation in my profile that if a man was matched to me based on my income ... that I lied about it and did so on purpose because I find it ludicrous to ask such a question.

Likewise, I think I'll be as extreme as I can get with my answer of intent and then explain in my profile what it is I really want and let the people know I lied once again because there was nothing to choose from that fits my needs.

As far as I'm concerned the whole money thing and this intent thing is as stupid as when men were complaining about women who were on sooooooo very many "favorites" lists. Like they had any control over all the people who put them on their "favorites" list or for whatever reason, but we actually have people in here who were dumb enough to believe that if a woman was on 200 favorites list, they were dating 200 men or emailing with them or whatever ... and wouldn't have time for a "relationship" with them. They were sooooo dumb that they didn't realize that maybe the lady had lots of girlfriends in here (as I do) who had also put her on their favorites list.

The whole thing is ludicrous. Just like men looking for Intimate Encounter are now getting around that by putting long term on their profiles. It's just another way to suck someone into doing something under false pretenses.

Maybe a man will realize that he can't get a date unless he indicates his intent is to get married ... when in fact he never wants to get married ... just screw around. So the end result will be just more people lying to get what they want ... using others to get what they want.

Who knows if the people are truly indicating what they want? How many people state that they want long term when all they really want is to run from one partner to the next ... getting sex and moving on?

I have discovered (at my age) when men write they are looking for dating ... it really means they're just looking for a one-night stand ... a quick fvck ... and you never hear from them again. When they don't get that from me ... they're gone in less time it takes to make a phone call.

No problem for me, but it's still false advertising. They're not looking for a date ... they're looking for a screw.
 RushLuv
Msg: 65
Posted: 6/3/2010 9:56:38 PM
Even though there is an Intent selection on the Edit Profile page, there are those who would just refuse to update their profile in order to not have to choose an Intent, or previously, Income.

That is exactly the point. As far as I'm concerned, there aren't too many people taking up issues with filling in information for the city they live in and headlines. More-so, the income, Intent and parents & siblings features has been very bothersome to a lot of people.

Maybe a man will realize that he can't get a date unless he indicates his intent is to get married

Funny how this was mentioned because I came across a guys profile, and he had dating but nothing serious listed. Mind others, this guy is one of the most attractive men on POF, and after peeping his profile again, I noticed that he had "actively seeking a relationship" listed. I believe the actively seeking option is the one for seeking marriage. This isn't to say that people don't have the right to change their minds, but there are indeed some with bad intentions.

Either way, it made me go hmmm. So yeah. This is what a few people meant when they were stating that the "xxxx wants to date but nothing serious" selection is a good thing because it gives those that are looking for something serious an opportunity to weed them out.

Some people will definitely lie about their true "Intent," just as long as it benefits them.
 wvwaterfall
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 6/4/2010 12:16:18 AM

On the contrary, personal introspection is what led me to the realization that being in a relationship wasm't a goal acheived between like-minded people but a side effect of meeting someone who is open to a relationship with the right person, regardless of what that person's preconceptions are.

Thank you for that. You expressed my perspective better than I did. There's a significant difference, to me anyway, between seeking a relationship and being open to one under the right circumstances.

I have discovered (at my age) when men write they are looking for dating ... it really means they're just looking for a one-night stand ... a quick fvck ... and you never hear from them again.

...and that would be wrong, at least in my case. A date can be a platonic date, an intimate date, or the beginning of a monogamous long term relationship. When I say I'm interested in dating, it means I'd like to explore potential with someone I find interesting who also finds me interesting. Potential for what will be sorted out as we go, but it certainly isn't a single minded goal, whether for sex or marriage.

Dave
 _TALL_IQ2_
Msg: 67
Posted: 6/4/2010 7:24:12 AM
^^ "I don't have a clue" is funny, because it is so true!

So many are wandering through the maze of daily life and miscellaneous people flowing in and out of our immediate experience and attention, especially when we see 28 pics at once here on POF, that we are overwhelmed with possibilities for future connections. We don't know inside what we seek or can expect from each of them, but carry a general feeling of wanting to be happy... Maybe one of them has the secret formula for making us happy?

We resist change by default, grasping for what little control we feel we have left over our life, by wanting to keep all options open until WE decide what we want.. or it just happens...
That feeling of relationships just happening out of the blue is very important to so many, why do we have to think about it anyway? Or if we do focus on what we want too much, we may scare it away like chasing a butterfly?

There is a time limit to life, so someday we may begin to take charge, making decisions ourselves about what actions to take, what INTENT we truly have to guide ourselves into the confusing enticing world of a relationship with an attractive partner.

So annoying that someone demands we make some choices right now! Why not just leave it all open to chance, as we have for most of our life? And just how has that been workin' for ya? S
 ~breathlesshush~
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 6/4/2010 7:56:56 AM
if someone chooses the intent that they wanna get married and actively seeking still comes up, then it's still not inaccurate. they just wanna put a ring and a signature on it. that's a little more than i'm willing to do but for those that wanna go that route, hey, go for it.

From page ONE of this thread:

I'm going to add it to the profiles. I don't think putting this person wants to get married on a profile is a good idea. So its going to be summerized as This user wants a relationship or This user does not want a relationship.

That would be from admin. So basically,
those who are seriously looking for a relationship,
and those who are seeking marriage have
the same intent on their profile.

Lately, there's been a number of poster's attacking
those on this thread who are unhappy about this
new "forced" feature. Comments such as this:

Maybe some of you need to do some personal introspection.

I am sure a normal average person would likely think the same way about these "Intents" as I do.

So you are assuming that you are "normal" and "average", correct?
That those on this thread who have voiced thier
displeasure and the ambiguity they perceive behind the selections
are NOT "normal" or "average"?

We've all seen the discrepancies on other's profiles between intent
and looking for. Guess either lots of people are liars, or the intent
question isn't as easy for some to answer as others. Perhaps.

If all I wanted was to be in a relationship, I would be in one right now.
Call me crazy, but I actually want to take my time, date, and get to know
a person before I make that decision. If I choose the dating option,
I get "wants to date but nothing serious". A lot of people will then assume my intent is to have have a good time, with no commitments.
Guess which type I'll be attracting then?

So, I chose looking for a relationship to avoid the inevitable booty call invites.
Sure, I could put a disclaimer in my profile, but as someone pointed out:

Lets face it we all know no one reads a profile anyways LOL

I believe this pigeonholes us and gives others a false impression,
as we all know there are people out there who will misunderstand,
and call foul when you don't choose them to have a relationship with.

I think admin should add a selection for friends, dating site or not.
There are people who are here just for the forums, and even though
they aren't the majority, they still have a right to be here.

Bottom line, we all have to choose. I can't help but wonder what we'll
be forced to choose next.

_TALL_IQ2_
Msg: 69
Posted: 6/4/2010 8:21:45 AM
Yes andover, showing an inner positive attitude with a nice smiling picture and evident sense of humor draws many people towards you online and in PERSON, the best way to begin any relationship. POF is useful for that, putting some of our bait out there in hopes of being caught by the right fisher.

Schooling with the sharks and minnows, we may eventually find an equal sized fish to swim with and possibly spawn.. And we hope that is their intent also, instead of trying to consume us or use us for fertilizer..

Hopefully many people will meet in PERSON, and begin the second greatest challenge of life, finding a compatible partner for the long-term SO relationship most truly seek, despite any posted intent or disclaimer. S
 _TALL_IQ2_
Msg: 70
Posted: 6/4/2010 8:52:48 AM
Being smarter than the average bear has some drawbacks.. The intense need to express ourselves with no-holds barred enthusiasm can be overwhelming to the average bears out there. Go to a full local Mensa party and listen to the noise level.. Also expectations can become SO high that no human being seems to qualify for our attention.

The evolutionary fault-seeking "Blink" locus in our brain can be so finely tuned that we talk ourselves out of trying to get to know someone when we imagine what faults they must have.. Is it really worth it to make ANY effort, or just convince ourselves we are open to a possibility if it falls in our lap?

Actually being required to think over our options and make a choice strengthens our ability to achieve that choice, by modifying our thinking and behavior in favor.
Pondering about what I want in life helps recognize it..
Hold a smile on your face for ten seconds and see how that affects your mood.. S
 lyingcheat
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Posted: 6/4/2010 9:14:10 AM
I don't get how the people who seem in favour of it rest some of their approval on the 'fact' (actually a wild assumption) that it will help weed out the unsuitable because now they've been 'forced' to reveal their true intent.

As if, because it's mandatory, all the liars, players, married men, and gold-digging women, have all suddenly been cornered into telling the truth. Huh?
This feature reveals no more about anyones intent than the original options did.

It just adds another layer of confusion because, despite an earlier posters confidence that all 'normal average people' (which she defines as people who think the same way she does) share definitions of all these vague terms, it was well known no two people agreed on the definition of "Friends", or "Other Relationship", or even "Intimate Encounter". The endless threads started in this forum asking for definitions, and the existence of compiled lists - one of them by admin - attempting to define the various terms demonstrates the problem.

Now it'll just be threads about "She had marriage selected, so how come she won't marry me! All women are liars. And gold-diggers. And don't know what they want."
Or alternately. . . "His profile said he was 'actively seeking a relationship', but after I gave him all my money and a blowjob I never saw him again! All men are liars. And users. And don't know what they want."

As an aside, the funniest interpretation of the old categories I ever saw was in a thread started by some guy, presumably blocked from contacting people by the IE filter, who claimed he'd only contacted all those women with IE on their profile because he thought it meant 'an intimate encounter in a restaurant' or suchlike for the purposes of sharing a meal. And since he was, he said, really and truly actively seeking a relationship then the restrictive IE filter/ban should be lifted off him.

Presumably these new characterisations of peoples intent will be used to filter out unsuitable matches in searches. Given that it's likely there's as much confusion about the definitions of these new terms as there was about the old ones, the implication is that at least some of the people one might actually be compatible with, on one level or another, will be using a different definition and will therefore filter themselves out of searches they might previously have appeared in.
The further implication of that is - narrower terms and proliferating definitions reduce the odds of meeting compatible others, they don't improve ones chances at all.

For instance, I haven't answered any of the more recently introduced questions, about income, about siblings or parents marital status, or about my 'intent'.
What new information has been discovered about me? None.
Other than that I value my own judgement, and privacy, higher than I value anything POF can do for me. My intentions haven't changed just because I didn't answer the questions, yet (presumably) I'll be filtered out of searches because the algorithm disapproves of my recalcitrance. Well, that is . . . I would be filtered out, if I wasn't already invisible.
 RushLuv
Msg: 74
Posted: 6/4/2010 10:56:50 AM

I don't get how the people who seem in favour of it rest some of their approval on the 'fact' (actually a wild assumption) that it will help weed out the unsuitable because now they've been 'forced' to reveal their true intent.

Some people think that the new feature is a good way to weed out those with crappy intentions.

Personally, I don't.

I guess I won't be answering any messages, either because I'm not going to pick an "intent" that isn't mine.

How about selecting the first option??? If you do, it will show up on your profile as "xxxx is not seeking a relationship or any kind of commitment."

Maybe if some people took the time to read the beginning of this thread, and then some, they would see that there is indeed an option for those that are not looking to date nor build relationships.
 cotter
Msg: 75
view profile
History
Posted: 6/4/2010 12:47:11 PM

I have discovered (at my age) when men write they are looking for dating ... it really means they're just looking for a one-night stand ... a quick fvck ... and you never hear from them again.
...and that would be wrong, at least in my case.
Note ... I didn't say that EVERY man (or woman) who has "dating" written on their profile is out there doing one-night stands.

However, inevitably it has been my experience that most men (my age) who do contact me, and have "dating" on their profile generally have that idea in mind.

How do I know? Because they don't appear to be interested in anything else but getting laid ... as quickly as possible. Geezy peezy, it isn't rocket science to figure that out. Good grief, they don't even want to get to know you well enough to know what your favorite food is or favorite color is ... just want to make a beeline into bed with you.

There are men in here who brag about that. All one has to do is look on some of the IE threads to see that kind of talk. Some even are so bold to say that they purposely target women who have long term on their profile because they feel such women would easily "put out" if they think the man is going to stick around for a long term relationship.

So what "INTENT" should such types have on their profile? Here ya go ...
INTENT: "Get laid as often as possible". ADMIN needs to give such people a chance to put that down too ... eh?

A date can be a platonic date, an intimate date, or the beginning of a monogamous long term relationship.
Of course it can. Most sane people start out that way. It's the sane ones we don't have to run from.

When I say I'm interested in dating, it means I'd like to explore potential with someone I find interesting who also finds me interesting. Potential for what will be sorted out as we go, but it certainly isn't a single minded goal, whether for sex or marriage.
I'd like to hope that most people would be dating with that in mind, but that just has not been the norm with the men who have contacted me in the past. Maybe you're the exception ... ever thought about that?

ADMIN needs to give us a choice too of ... "Screwballs need not apply".

And as another poster pointed out
Some people will definitely lie about their true "Intent," just as long as it benefits them.

LMFAO ... wouldn't it be funny if ADMIN actually gave people the option to say:
**Just in here for a fast fvck.
**Just in here gold digging.
**Just in here to find some leg pictures or boob pictures to look at while I get my business done.
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > When it comes to dating what best describes your intent?