Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Jo van
Msg: 7
13 Storey Mosque due to open on 9/11/2011 at Ground ZeroPage 2 of 2    (1, 2)
I agree with Jesus!
I don't think any religions are a good idea.
It will have been christians advocating the building of mosques, just as they have in my town.
It is they who encourage "tolerance" of other religions, and demand that I show them "respect".
I think Dawkins was right, and they're all "deluded", and I don't think we (the rational), should be 'humoring' them.
It will just make them worse.
 oggers
Msg: 8
view profile
History
13 Storey Mosque due to open on 9/11/2011 at Ground Zero
Posted: 5/29/2010 9:25:10 AM
Its NEAR ground zero, not on it -- its a conversion of an existing building

""A New York City community board has voted for a plan to build a mosque and cultural centre near Ground Zero.

But standing in front of the ragged building at the centre of the proposal, Manhattan borough president Scott Stringer, who has been the target of disparaging remarks by Tea Party Express chairman Mark Williams for supporting the plans, defended his position and condemned offensive speech directed at him or Muslims.

"What I want people to do is to take a look at the totality of what they are proposing," Mr Stringer said. "What we're rejecting here is outright bigotry and hatred."

The project sponsors said they bought the building last year and planned to break ground later this year. It could take up to three years to build the Cordoba House. A Friday prayer service has been held at the building since September 2009.

--> from a statement by The Press Association
 Jo van
Msg: 15
Posted: 5/30/2010 5:30:50 AM
Yes, this subject is relevant to the UK. Just because it is a UK forum it does not mean
we shouldnt discuss what goes on in other parts of the world.

Throughout islamic history mosques have been build when islamist have conquered other religions.
A mosque was built on the site of the jewish temple in Jerusalelm another over the church to St Jon the Baptist
and a cathederal in Constantinople was converted to a mosque. Over 2,000 mosques in India
were built on the sites of hindu temples.

This is exactly why I said all religions were a bad thing.

It's not "harmless"
It always ends in war. And religious people always claim "it's only the extremists"
We are fighting wars in the middle east and Afghanistan.
Because of what people thought 600, or 1000, or 2000, or 5000 years ago!
If god gave Israel to the Israelis, we non-believers are expected to accept that, and so are the believers in other 'faiths'
or other 'gods'.
You can't reason with a person who thinks in mediaeval (sp?) terms.

If you believe in 'god', why do you need churches, and synagogues and mosques...?
According to your beliefs, 'god' is omnipresent
Why do you need special buildings..? (pretty as they may be..)
Religion causes more problems than it's worth.
 Jo van
Msg: 20
Posted: 5/31/2010 4:16:02 AM

Throughout islamic history mosques have been build when islamist have conquered other religions.
A mosque was built on the site of the jewish temple in Jerusalelm another over the church to St Jon the Baptist and
a cathederal in Constantinople was converted to a mosque.
Over 2,000 mosques in India were built on the sites of hindu temples.

You seem to have a slight bias against mosques, wheras I am equally against all religions, as they are the cause
of most of the current wars in the world.

If you're going to talk about one religion "conquering" another, and building their own religious buildings,
I think you will find that this has been done just as much by christianity and judaism.
Most of the countries we 'colonized' (I like the 'colon' part of that word; very apt! ) are now christian.

And of course there's Israel. A country that didn't exist before 1948, (Well, not for two thousand years or so)
How many mosques were destroyed when this country was systematically stolen from it's inhabitants...?
And all of this was done by "westerners", and all taken by force, villages bulldozed, people massacred....

If you want to talk about the problems caused by religious people, that's where it all begins.
The fact that we, and the USA, and many other western-european countries have supported Israel,
is what is at the root of all of our problems.

Again please note that I am generalising and I am not talking about the radicals and fanatics of
any particular religion. A lot of religious practices are outdated as we are now living in modern times with scientific progress,
but all in all there can be more harmony in homes who live by certain moral codes.

The "radicals and fanatics" are the religious leaders.

What I loathe more than anything is the extremeism where wars are started in the name of religion
and people trying to inflict their religion on others by murder, torture, etc.

Which is exactly what Israel did when they stole the land from those who had been peacefully, and lawfully living
on it for the last 2000 years.
I'd call that quite "extreme"...
And our "christian" nations supported them.
More religion=More Wars
Less religion = Less War.
Peace
 sd_matt
Msg: 27
Posted: 8/4/2010 11:46:02 AM
Cordoba Initiative is the org. behind the mosque.

Some history of Cordoba, Spain.

It was captured in 711[3] by a Muslim army: in 716 it became a provincial capital, depending from the Caliphate of Damascus; in Arabic it was known as قرطبة (Qurṭuba). In May 766, it was elected as capital of the independent Muslim emirate of al-Andalus, later a Caliphate itself.

In the best possible light there are better ways to show unity between the religions. If some American group named "The Enola Gay Institute" wanted to build a bronze rendition of the Tall Boy in the center of Hiroshima as a protest ( and lets assume a sincere protest ) to the use of atom bombs how do you think the Japanese would feel about it?

C'mon get real people. This is nothing more than a load in the face. Yes most Muslims are moderate but use some freaken common sense.
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >