Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > The most impressive sports streaks ?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 nipoleon
Msg: 28
view profile
History
The most impressive sports streaks ?Page 4 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
Speaking of Wimbledon...
Since the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet club was founded in 1877 the player with the most consecutive
championship titles is William Renshaw, who won the championship 6 years in a row, 1881-1886.
However, in those days the defending champion didn't have to play the qualifying tournament, he only had to play the championship match.

In the modern era, all players have to compete in the whole tournament.
2 players hold the record for most consecutive championships at 5 each, Bjorn Borg and Roger Federer.
Borg won 5 times in a row, from 1976-1980.
Federer won 5 times in a row from 2003-2007.
 justnancy
Msg: 29
The most impressive sports streaks ?
Posted: 7/2/2010 4:14:36 PM
"blunder from down under" must s*ck to be him.

Martialist and Nipoleon I find it pretty "impressive" how much you two know about Cricket, Lawn Tennis and Croquet, well for North Americans' that is.
 sarniafairyboy
Msg: 30
Posted: 7/3/2010 9:56:52 AM
Johnny Kelly (US runner) competed in 61 Boston Marathons, competitive, won once & finished in the top5, 15 times

Steven Redgrave, UK Rower, won 5 consecutive Olympic gold medals:

LA- 1984, 1988 -Seoul, 1992 -Barcelona, 1996 -Atlanta, 2000 - Sydney

pretty impressive to be that dominant for over 16 years/5consecutive games !

Al Oerter (US Olympic athlete) competed in 4 consecutive Olympic games and won the gold medal for discus throw in those 4 consecutive games:

Melbourne, 1956
Rome, 1960
Tokyo, 1964
Mexico City, 1968

pretty impressive to be that dominant for over 12 years/4 consecutive games.

also: Edwin Moses- 122 consecutive 400m hurdle wins

team or ball sports:

Joe DiMaggio's 56-game hitting streak in 1941

Johnny Unitas' 47 games in a row with a touchdown pass

Tiger Woods' 142 consecutive cuts made

Orel Hershiser's 59 scoreless innings

Cal Ripken, Jr.- 2,632 consecutive games played

Steffi Graf- The "Golden" Grand Slam (all 4 major tennis titles in one year AND the gold medal in Olympic tennis, same year)

Martina Navratilova, 6 consecutive Wimbledon titles.
 sarniafairyboy
Msg: 31
Posted: 7/3/2010 11:01:44 AM
some might say Gordie Howe was pretty impressive, 20 straight years of at least 20 goals per season in pro hockey

and suiting up/playing pro hockey in 6 straight decades
 justnancy
Msg: 32
Posted: 7/16/2010 12:21:46 PM
Yeah Martialist that would be grandhusker, he never has anything good to say.
I TRY to stay quiet but somehow I keep running out of duct tape.
But I will trrryyy to keep quiet....but it's not easy!

BTW, what happened to your "hot body" picture?

LOL, I wouldn't call "it" a sport,
however grandhusker sure does have the "most impressive worthless streak of posts running", just look at his "history" of posts.
 junipermoon
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 8/8/2010 4:53:18 AM
make that 18 in a row for zenyatta.

she won the $300,000 clement hirsch yesterday. anyone even remotely interested in watching a true white-knuckle performance should check out any of her races on youtube.

god, i love this mare!
 nipoleon
Msg: 34
view profile
History
The most impressive sports streaks ?,The most impressive sports streaks ?
Posted: 8/8/2010 10:21:47 AM
From failuremag.com

Zippy Chippy
A horse with no shame.

Written by Jason Zasky Filed under Sports

“Zippy’s been bad. He’s in the barn,” says Carrie, 12-year-old niece of Felix Monserrate, owner and trainer of Zippy Chippy, the losingest thoroughbred in U.S. history. The nine-year-old brown gelding with an attitude has a remarkable track record, having run 88 races without a single victory. The issue isn’t necessarily Zippy’s speed; he was parented by Compliance and Listen Lady (and is a blood relative of Northern Dancer, who won the 1964 Kentucky Derby). Rather, Zippy’s problem is mostly between the ears.

Over his 88 starts Zippy has had seven second-place finishes and 12 third-place efforts. Much to the chagrin of handicappers, trouble seems to follow Zippy around the track. He has been known to break at the start, pull up mid-race, and has even tried to bite other horses at the finish line. His propensity for flat-out refusing to leave the gate has led to him being banned from running at Finger Lakes—his hometown track in Farmington, New York—and just about everywhere else. “Every time I ask him, ‘What is your problem?’, he never tells me,” chuckles Monserrate.

On September 1, Zippy had a near-brush with victory, finishing second, by a neck, to Black Rifle in a five-furlong race at the Three-County Fair in Northampton, Massachusetts. While the competition wasn’t the strongest (none of the other entrants had ever won a race either), Zippy started fast and led most of the way. But down the stretch, Black Rifle began bumping with the Zipster; Monserrate is convinced the contact kept Zippy out of the winners circle. Z.C.‘s jockey Juan Rohena filed a protest with race officials, but it was quickly denied.

On September 16, Zippy raced again at Northampton, this time as the favorite at 2-1 odds. The result was much the same; he led at the outset and was neck-and-neck with second-place finisher Miner’s Claim for most of the race. In the home stretch, however, he was overtaken by the eventual winner, Sadler’s Claim, leaving Zippy in the money, but out of the limelight once again.

The 57-year-old Monserrate knew exactly what he was in for when he acquired Zippy five years ago in a trade for an ’88 Ford truck. The temperamental beast was already a resident of Monserrate’s stable before the transaction was finalized, so he was aware of Zippy’s propensity towards nasty confrontations. “He bit me a couple times,” says Felix matter of factly, although more recently they have reached an uneasy peace. Asked how you control such an animal, Felix shrugs and says, “He’s not an easy horse to deal with. My wife and daughter discipline him with a carrot.”

With few places to race, it’s unlikely Zippy will have a chance to threaten the record of Quixall Crossett, the English horse that has lost 98 consecutive starts. While a one-on-one showdown seems like a made-for-TV event, Monserrate believes the chances of that happening are slim to none. Regardless, Zippy always has a place with the Monserrates, who remain unflinchingly optimistic that Zippy will one day strut in triumph. “Even if he doesn’t win, he can still live here with us,” says Felix. “He doesn’t have to worry about going to the meat market.”
 junipermoon
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 8/8/2010 10:37:49 AM
i remember zippy! poor guy. i'd have mental issues too if people kept setting me up to lose! i think he's still alive and well somewhere. and i read one time that he beat a track star. i think.
 nipoleon
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 9/25/2010 1:01:01 PM
By Steve Henson
Yahoo Sports

SAN DIEGO – Aroldis Chapman was summoned from the bullpen one batter too late to make a difference in the game. No matter. The 22-year-old Cincinnati Reds left-hander made do by making history Friday night, throwing the fastest pitch recorded in a major league game, a 105-mph fastball.

Ardolis Chapman's 25 pitches on Friday night (each registering 100 mph or faster, including his record-breaking 105 mph heater) must have been a blur to Padres batters.

But the lingering memory was of a now-you-see-it, did-I-actually-see-it fastball to Tony Gwynn(notes) in the eighth inning. The pitch was not a fluke: Chapman threw 25 pitches in his 1 1/3 innings of relief, and every one was at least 100 mph. He didn’t throw a slider. He didn’t throw a changeup. Why would he?

Popular Sports PagesAthlete benched by odd pizza-related injury Rare World Series video discovered in legendary crooner's cellar More From Steve HensonJamie McCourt is admittedly clueless Sep 21, 2010 Latos belongs in the NL Cy Young discussion Sep 11, 2010 From Walter Johnson to Bob Feller to Steve Dalkowski to J.R. Richard to Nolan Ryan to Stephen Strasburg, blistering velocity is etched forever in baseball lore. Rush Chapman to the head of the list. Has anybody in the history of the game had a comparable 25-pitch sequence?
 oggers
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 9/27/2010 12:20:42 AM
materialist_goku wrote :

Speaking of streaks.. Australia holds both records for win streaks in both test (i.e. 3-5 day contests) and ODI matches... no wonder teh is so up on cricket with his country owning both wins streaks

... he won't be so happy when England roll into Oz later to whup their asses in the Ashes series ...
 junipermoon
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 10/3/2010 4:18:46 PM
make that 19 in a row for zenyatta. she just won the $250,000 lady's secret stakes for the 3rd consecutive year. again, she came from dead last, 7 lengths off the lead. she trailed by 2 lengths in the final furlong!!!

she gives you heart failure, but she gets the job done.
 nipoleon
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 12/22/2010 9:06:56 PM
By Jere Longman of the New York Times

HARTFORD — For decades, U.C.L.A.’s winning streak seemed as round and fundamental and permanent as the shape of the ball itself. And yet, it is the Connecticut women, not the U.C.L.A. men, who now hold the major-college basketball record for invincibility. The Huskies won their 89th consecutive game Tuesday with a 93-62 throttling of Florida State before a sellout crowd of 16,294 at the XL Center, surpassing the 88 straight won by the U.C.L.A. men, coached by John Wooden, from 1971 to 1974.

The top-ranked Huskies (11-0) were bolstered Tuesday by career-high scoring from the senior forward Maya Moore (41 points) and the freshman point guard Bria Hartley (21). UConn has been so dominant during its run that the average victory margin has been 33.3 points. Only four teams have come within 10 points of UConn and only one has shot at least 50 percent from the field. By halftime against Florida State, Moore’s 26 points were one fewer than the Seminoles had scored as a team.

UConn’s last defeat came by 82-73 to Stanford on April 6, 2008, in the national semifinals. Many predict the eighth-ranked Cardinal will bookend the Huskies’ streak when it hosts UConn on Dec. 30. Otherwise, the Huskies may go undefeated through the regular season as momentum snowballs toward a third consecutive national championship.

The overall college record is held by the women’s team at Wayland Baptist University of Plainview, Tex., which won 131 consecutive games from 1953 to 1958. But that was decades before the N.C.A.A. began sponsoring women’s basketball in 1982. It was a different game, played under different rules, at a different speed and a different level of athleticism. And it probably did not involve congratulations from the president of the United States.
 MrLove45
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 12/23/2010 7:40:42 AM
I'm sure that the Miami Hurricanes football deserves to be added to this thread :

Winning streaks
Miami also has two of the longest winning streaks in NCAA Division I history. From 2000 to 2003, Miami won 34 consecutive games, tying for sixth all-time. The streak started on September 23, 2000 with a 47-10 victory at West Virginia and ended on January 3, 2003 with a 31-24 double overtime loss to Ohio State in the 2003 Fiesta Bowl. Miami also won 29 straight games from October 27, 1990 to January 1, 1993, good for thirteenth on the all-time list. That streak was snapped when the top-ranked Hurricanes were upset by second-ranked Alabama, 34-13 in the 1993 Sugar Bowl.

Miami owns the record for the longest home winning streak in NCAA history, winning 58 straight games at the Orange Bowl. The record streak began with a 38-0 shutout victory over Cincinnati on October 12, 1985 and ended with a 38-20 loss to Washington on September 24, 1994.

In addition to its own lengthy winning streaks, Miami has snapped four streaks of 20 games or more in its history.
 Tah,
Msg: 41
Posted: 1/23/2011 8:37:05 PM

. he won't be so happy when England roll into Oz later to whup their asses in the Ashes series

That they did, that I are!
 vbxtc
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 3/3/2011 1:06:29 PM
Guiness book...
 Canadian Ink
Msg: 43
Posted: 3/6/2011 6:44:58 PM

New England Patriots won 21 games in a row

The Indianapolis Colts actually have the record since then with 22 consecutive victories.
 MrLove45
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 3/20/2011 11:24:21 AM
and shouldn't there be an asterisk beside the ne cheatriots 21 game winning streak as well as the absence of a crown even with the 'uneven playing field' it used in the process clearly upholding the 'cheaters never win' rule of law?
 STANTHEMAN800
Msg: 45
Posted: 3/28/2011 6:51:26 AM
There is a guy that Bowled 8 games the same in a row
202 202 202 202 202 202 202 202 thats a pretty impressive streak, world record even
 eagle_i
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 4/10/2011 6:50:57 PM
the Chicago Black Hawks might break their not-so-impressive streak of almost 50 years without drinking from Lord Stanleys Cup

Somewhat related - the St Louis Blues have been in the league since 1967 without winning Lord Stanley's Cup and have an active losing streak of 12 consecutive games in the Finals; NONE since 1970, however.

You would think with this record of futility, that they've always been coached by dolts, but not the case. It seems like just about every coach the Blues ever fire win the hardware for another team. Just off the top of my head: Scotty Bowman, Al Arbour, Jacques Demers, Jacques Martin, and yes, Joel Quenneville of the Black Hawks.
 MGMLION
Msg: 47
Posted: 4/11/2011 7:33:50 PM
The UNDERTAKER has a 19-0 winning streak at Wrestle Mania.
 MGMLION
Msg: 48
Posted: 4/11/2011 8:33:23 PM
Because if the Undertaker going 19 - 0 is a considered a sports streak, then I am sure Superman has him beat hands down.

Tell me what has Superman ever done? Besides make a movie and a few comic books?
 sexyisback!
Msg: 49
Posted: 4/12/2011 8:15:25 AM
^^

I believe FrankNStein's point is that so-called "wrestling"/make-believe drama/bad acting as done at Wrestle-mania is not a "sport" but entertainment.

are Tom Cruise, Liam Neeson, Mel Gibson, Angelina Jolie et al now to be considered 'athletes' engaged in a 'sport' ? will the Oscar be considered an athletic award?
 MGMLION
Msg: 50
Posted: 4/12/2011 6:05:07 PM

Mgm

sometimes I wonder if you actually believe half of what you type, or just say crap to get people going....

really?...wrestle mania?...really?

Broncs you should know me by now. I must admit I do like to get people going.
 nipoleon
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Posted: 7/18/2011 10:59:02 AM

Does Ted Williams Own A More Impressive Streak Than Joe DiMaggio?
Written by: Cam Martin

Ask even the most casual baseball fan to name the player who holds the record for longest hitting streak in Major League Baseball history, and odds are you'll hear the correct answer, Joe DiMaggio, and the correct number of games, 56. But ask a diehard baseball fan to name the player who holds the record for reaching base safely in the most consecutive games, and odds are you won’t hear the correct answer, Ted Williams, or the correct number of games, 84. Even in our post-Moneyball world, where batting average has been de-emphasized and on-base percentage has been elevated, DiMaggio's mark is discussed with awe and admiration, while Williams' streak goes largely unnoticed, tucked away like a torn ticket stub from childhood.

This weekend is the 70th anniversary of the end of DiMaggio's streak, which served as the catalyst for a new book, 56: Joe DiMaggio and the Last Magic Number in Sports, and any number of newspaper and magazine articles, including a cover story in Sports Illustrated. Often mentioned in these articles is that when DiMaggio's streak finally ended, he immediately started a 16-game hitting streak. What's often omitted, however, is that DiMaggio drew a walk in what would have been the 57th game. Moreover, he earned a walk in the game directly preceding the beginning of his hitting streak. Joe DiMaggio actually reached base safely in 74 straight games in 1941. Impressive, no?

Now tack on an extra 10 games and you come to understand how impressive Williams' streak was in 1949.

On one hand, it's easy to understand why a hitting streak is more captivating than a streak of safely reaching base via hit, walk or hit by pitch. If brevity is the soul of wit, it’s also the soul of common knowledge, and getting a base hit in consecutive games comprises a more tangible, action-packed event than, say, reaching base via three possible routes. Did DiMaggio get a hit today? Yup, streak continued. Did Williams get a hit today? No, but he did draw two walks and was also intentionally walked in his last at-bat, so his streak con---zzzz.

Joe DiMaggio never had more than 80 walks in a season. He twice led the league in home runs and slugging percentage, and had the remarkable feat of accumulating nearly as many career home runs, 361, as strikeouts, 369. But he never led the league in on-base percentage. In short, he was a contact hitter who liked to swing the bat. And unless he was preternaturally adept at hitting balls out of the strike zone, pitchers really didn't pitch around him.

The same cannot be said of Ted Williams.

The Splendid Splinter led the league in walks eight times. He has the fourth-most free passes (2021) in MLB history, and his career on-base percentage (.482) ranks first. He often said that he wanted to be known as the greatest hitter who ever lived, but perhaps more accurately he should have been called the greatest on-base machine who ever lived. But again, that goes back to the whole issue of brevity/easy digestibility.

If you look at the list of the longest hitting streaks in MLB history, you won’t find Ted Williams' name anywhere near the top. His longest streak was "just" 23 games, which came in 1941, when some other fella strung together a record that's supposedly the most unbreakable in sports. And yeah, you can argue that it's more difficult to get a base hit in 56 straight games than it is to reach base via hit, walk or hit by pitch in 84 straight. But considering the closest anyone has come to Williams' record since 1949 was Orlando Cabrera, who reached base in 63 straight games in 2006, maybe it's not.

Hitting streaks require some luck, and so do streaks like Williams' 84 straight games of reaching base safely. But one common factor among all the hitters atop the list of longest-consecutive hit streaks is that none of them drew a lot of walks. In fact, if you combine the 100-walk seasons of all the players who had hitting streaks of more than 34 games (18 players), you arrive at two: Dom DiMaggio in 1948 and Pete Rose in 1974. Hall of Famers like Paul Molitor, Ty Cobb, and George Sisler never passed the century mark. And neither have Chase Utley, Jimmy Rollins or Luis Castillo. These players were able to compile long hit streaks in part because (you guessed it) they liked to swing the bat. And it's that action, that pressing need to put bat to the ball and find a safe haven between fielders, which makes hitting streaks so captivating. We get it -- action is good; it's entertaining and easy on the eyes. At the same time, it’s kind of silly that a hitting streak like DiMaggio’s can be widely revered, while an on-base record like Williams’ goes widely unknown.

We're in the post-Moneyball era, and fans understand that on-base percentage is paramount to batting average. It's time Williams' record got its due.
 jryan824
Msg: 52
Posted: 8/10/2011 7:49:04 PM
detroit redwings.....20 straight playoff appearences
Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > The most impressive sports streaks ?