Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 31
45+ men and fashionPage 2 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)

Well, I'll have you know that I don't wear a bikini anymore... or even a speedo..

Whew! No offense to you, but other than Michael Phelp's full-body Speedo, I think those things needed out-lawed 20+++ years ago. Those just scream, "WAY too much information!" to me. JMO
 DrummingNut
Msg: 32
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 7/8/2010 9:17:17 AM

45+ men and fashion
I'd like to meet a 55+ single man.
And know what?
There are a whole lot of qualities about that man
that would be WAY more important to me
than what his fashion sense happens to be.
In fact, his "fashion" doesn't even concern me.
Wear what makes YOU comfortable in life!
Whatever. Suit/tie.. ripped jeans... purple pokadot socks.. whatever.
I've never worried over it.
The older I get.. I even more see the silliness of people worrying over it.
1,000,000 things way more important.
BUT.. that's just my opinion.

Some of the ladies on PoF forums
sound like they wouldn't even want to TALK to a man
dressed in what they consider just horrible choices of clothes.
Seems like they'd walk to the other side of the street..
snickering a bit behind their hand..
and then maybe go home and blog about it.

MsMicki
Msg: 33
view profile
History
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 7/8/2010 9:38:55 AM
Don't take all these comments so seriously OLP......
sometimes it's just fun to discuss things we find silly.
Doesn't mean we wouldn't go on a date with them if they were
our type personality wise.

Hell, my guy friend wears tye-dye shirts w/ camo pants all the time!!
The other day he had on green khaki shorts, a purple and red tye-dye shirt,
grey thermal socks shoved down around his ankles over his hiking boots!!
I never said a word and enjoyed a great night jammin to some Blues!
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 34
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 7/8/2010 12:32:37 PM

Some of the ladies on PoF forums
sound like they wouldn't even want to TALK to a man
dressed in what they consider just horrible choices of clothes.
Seems like they'd walk to the other side of the street..
snickering a bit behind their hand..
and then maybe go home and blog about it.

Right on. And aren't you glad? Think how many more it leaves for the rest of us who are into tender hearts, bright brains, fun/ny personalities, great lovers and giant souls. . . .

Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 35
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 7/8/2010 12:39:42 PM

Think how many more it leaves for the rest of us who are into tender hearts, bright brains, fun/ny personalities, great lovers and giant souls. . . .

Interesting---I'm into all those attributes as well, and I've never once found them present in a man that dresses like the village idiot.
 Walts
Msg: 36
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 7/8/2010 4:28:45 PM
I've never once found them present in a man that dresses like the village idiot.

Obviously you have never met the right idiot. And don't forget,,,,that not all idiots dress the part,,,,,which I am sure you have experinced with those that know "fashion" and how to attract??????

I can just imagine what some of the posters here think when they walk by a person living on the street dressed in apparel that satisifies their requirement to live.

Same dif people,,,same dif.

And only because I forgot to read page 2 before page 3,,,,,

Agreed---and that includes bikinis and people that wear them.

I look at women,,,,any women that have the confidence to wear less instead of more. Don't care about the colour, don't care about the amount of material,,,,I actually don't even care if they are actually wearing em,,,or just holdin em while they walk their walk.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 38
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 7/8/2010 6:17:20 PM

Interesting---I'm into all those attributes as well, and I've never once found them present in a man that dresses like the village idiot.

Not sure how you'd know, since you clearly wouldn't hang with such a dood in the first place. I wish you luck on your quest.

Blue-Eyes-Shine
Msg: 39
view profile
History
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 7/8/2010 6:42:16 PM
I find that no matter how a man dresses, he prefers to steer clear of women that have to attack and put other women down. They seem to look at it as a character flaw and know they will probably be the next victim of the attack. If age has taught us anything it should be "Actions speak louder than words."

Yes, I notice how a man dresses and carries himself, just as he notices the same in me. I hope to always look presentable when I am out with him. I enjoy the fact that he'll ask my opinion on a shirt or pants. No, we don't all wear the same style of clothing, but hopefully we can tell if it is flattering or not.
 DrummingNut
Msg: 41
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 7/8/2010 7:29:41 PM

I find that no matter how a man dresses, he prefers to steer clear of women that have to attack and put other women down. They seem to look at it as a character flaw and know they will probably be the next victim of the attack. If age has taught us anything it should be "Actions speak louder than words."

Hmmmm.. that sounds like a longwinded put-down to me.
Come on.. dare ya to tell me that WASN'T a put-down.

Men and 'fashion'..
I have found that most men simply want to wear what they want to wear,
and aren't all that thrilled with women making fun of them and/or trying to make them change.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 42
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 7/8/2010 8:31:15 PM

Why do some "older" guys insist on wearing their pants so high up?

I make dolls. Including a great many Santas with flat backs and round tummies. It's a matter of physics, lol! If you try to put pants on that shape, you either need to pull them up *over* the widest spot, or use suspenders. Otherwise, they fall off. Why thin guys do it, I don't know. Maybe all their friends do?

woobytoodsday
Msg: 43
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 7/9/2010 8:32:20 AM

hm...most times when I've seen a 'round' stomach on men the waist line is under stomach and not over.

Lol! Troo dat. Which may be more a function of always having worn a size XX, which will now not fit over a tummy. Catch in that scenario is you get plumbers' crack. But those guys have bums. For the truly flat backed (like my dad) that won't work, even with a relatively small tummy. The issue *can* be solved with elastic waists, like sweatpants. Or by cinching in the belt until it is uncomfortably tight. . . . Ma hunny has this shape, and he lurvs sweats. I think that a lot of the time, they don't think about it at all, just go with what's comfortable. Which actually strikes me as kinda sane.

There are, as Procul pointed out a certain percentage, of both sexes, who simply don't get what they look like in certain getups. Or don't care. And prolly never did.

Walts
Msg: 44
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 7/9/2010 4:27:47 PM

When they were dating, all her girlfriends used to snicker at him and tease her about him. They got married, she started dressing him, and now she's laughing all the way to the bank! He's now a totally handsome, fashionable, sweet, kind husband - and the girlfriends are single and bitter.

Ahhhh,,,,what more can a man ask for!!!!!????? A woman that will try and change things about a man AFTER they get married.

Ummmmm,,,,,,hold on a sec. Isn't that actually ONE of the mistakes both genders sometimes try to do AFTER they marry someone. Oh yeah,,,,no worries,,,,that's when divorce sets in. At least he'll be "fashionable" after the papers are signed. She did a very,very,very good job.

Was there actually suppose to be laughing here?????
 moraima
Msg: 45
view profile
History
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 7/9/2010 5:46:52 PM
"They got married, she started dressing him"

Don't know about other people, but I haven't wanted to dress up doll since I was ten.

This is supposed to be 45+. If by the age of 45+ people haven't learned that proper dress and proper grooming reflects one type of personality character, while saying decent fashion sense and good grooming doesn't matter relects another type of person.

The trouble starts when the two different types of people try to have some form of relationship.

You don't care how you look, please avoid trying to get people who do care about their appearance to date you.......................just not worth the hassle, and visa versa.
 TryAgan
Msg: 46
view profile
History
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 7/10/2010 1:48:01 AM
Why do some "older" guys insist on wearing their pants so high up?

I guess because they bought the pants from a seamstress who made short skirts for older women and had some material left.
Actually, it takes about the same amount of time to take off the pants regardless of their length.
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 47
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 7/10/2010 8:09:47 AM

How do we go from Ed Grimly to “the village idiot”?? Good Lord the silly assumptions and leaps to silliness!

But to the OP’s contention I say Oh, great---one more thread where the desperately dateless makes ONE observation perhaps of ONE person in a mall and suddenly has insight into how men can better themselves in the eyes of some women. Right off the top of my mind I can come up with no less than 20 fashion faux pas I see women committing daily while they’re out and about; stuffed into clothing 4 sizes too small and at least 10 years “younger” than what really looks good and yet they still have no problem criticizing others for “fashion mistakes”. Many women have the added disadvantage their so called friends never tell them the truth how bad they really look so that delusion continues......

I don't comprehend why you and so many others here are taking this thread about the fashion faux pas of older men so seriously when the obvious intent of it was meant to be light-hearted and humorous. No one here, myself included, was attacking you personally or making any assumptions. Lighten up!!!
 sarniafairyboy
Msg: 48
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 7/10/2010 10:23:21 AM

I don't comprehend why you and so many others here are taking this thread about the fashion faux pas of older men so seriously when the obvious intent of it was meant to be light-hearted and humorous. No one here, myself included, was attacking you personally or making any assumptions. Lighten up!!!

yes, by all means!!

it's fun to poke fun collectively at a group -in this case , 'older men' -light-hearted and humorous- Lighten up!

why don't we next have a group of jokes or statements 'poking fun' at "Negroes', Mexicans', 'women', "Arabs", Muslims", etc., etc.??

how could they possibly be 'offended' when it's all in fun?

after all it's light-hearted!! lighten up! fun to poke fun at a group which doesn't include you I guess ??!

no, you can't make jokes based on race! god forbid! but based on gender or age, have at'er ! right?

I wonder if all the older ladies poking fun at older men would be so 'light-hearted' about it if the situation were reversed? (men 'poking fun' at women)
 _TALL_IQ2_
Msg: 49
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 7/10/2010 5:58:57 PM
I think it's lemons... or sour grapes of wrath- ( vicarious revenge against someone? ) that lead several vehement POFerlanders to repeatedly attempt to bash the opposite sex into the ground with virulent rhetoric...

More revealing of the attackers than the targets... S
 whytwater
Msg: 50
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 7/10/2010 7:00:34 PM

If you have daughters, I'm sure they'd be glad to take you shopping and they definitely wouldn't let you walk out looking like total dorks.

You got that right! When my daughters (22 and 32 now) hit age 14, my Wrangler jeans were outlawed, and I was given a list of the only stores to buy clothes from- American Eagle, Gap/Old Navy/BR, Eddie Bauer. They've moved out now, but I've kinda been trained. lol

What really gets to me are those men over 45 that insist on hanging onto their Tom Selleck moustaches and center-parted hair styles from the 70s and 80s.

Hey! My hair parts itself, but it's pretty close to center ( a little left, though, like the rest of me). Would rather look like a throw-back hippie than some young, or not so young, republican.

OP, the only men I see with armpit waistbands are 75+ (not that I'm scoping out my gender much, lol). Spine shrinkage? And that only afflicts men? What about those waistband elevations that are just above women's nips? lol Is THAT spine shrinkage at work?
 DrummingNut
Msg: 51
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 7/11/2010 4:55:54 AM
^^^ I'm glad my boobs are sagged down to my waist..
now I can hook my waistband over them to keep my pants up!

(lol!)
 Vannili
Msg: 52
view profile
History
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 7/11/2010 10:55:57 AM

I care more what they look like without clothes.

Me too, that is the reason I am always on the prowl on beaches ,swimming pools. nude camps. I think I recognized you on some of the places ,I've been ..
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 54
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 7/11/2010 7:18:21 PM
A book that discusses the topic of male fashion faux pas is supposed to be coming out soon. It's called "Undateable: 311 Things Guys Do That Guarantee They Won't Be Dating or Having Sex". It mentions that when it comes to calibrating long-term compatibility, what men wear is the first and often most crucial criteria that women use to judge---and that research shows that's usually within the first 15 to 20 seconds. Very interesting...
 _TALL_IQ2_
Msg: 55
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 7/11/2010 7:29:31 PM
Sounds very interesting allright.. I wonder which first crucial criteria most men use to judge women in the first 15-20 seconds...

Maybe that can become more acceptable if it is in a book title form.

Let's try exchanging the genders in that new book title and see how that flies here... S
 WalksOnWater2
Msg: 56
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 7/11/2010 11:50:09 PM
My daughter and I were recently at the mall and I noticed several fairly attractive men around my age. Problem is they all had their pants pulled up under their armpits -- usually wearing a belt with a shirt tucked in

Maybe they were at the mall looking for better fitting pants.

But who cares, if they were fairly attractive anyway, even in their armpit-pants to begin with...
If you have a man who's clothing is not quite up to your fashion standards, you go buy him a few rugs for his birthday, and hope for the best. The clothes don't make the man anyway, and if the man beneath the clothes is worthy, then just remove them.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >