Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 sarniafairyboy
Msg: 58
45+ men and fashionPage 3 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)

If you have ever been in love, if you have ever held a new born baby, if you have ever viewed the wold from a mountain peak, if you have visited the Sistine Chapel, if you have swam with sharks and octopi, and for the few who have been to space, it is a reasonable inference that the gradeur of these phenomena are not merely the products of swirling atoms and chemical reactions taking place between our ears. There is something more.

their 'character' is revealed by their fashion sense?

are you saying that you can tell whether someone is honest, hardworking, faithful, reliable, etc. by their fashion sense?

I think you are implying that someone with 'better 'fashion sense, a fashion plate, would have 'better 'qualities of character?

Oh, my, would you be a suitable, gullible patsy or 'mark' for confidence men/women. This kind of unthinking reaction is exactly why they are usually polished up & dressed to the nines. the slick snake-oil salesmen of the world always have a polished appearance.

does this mean that a slicker looking type person like Obama or JFK had to be 'better' presidents than the more rumpled types like Harry Truman or Eisenhower or FDR ?

I think it might be more accurate to say you can tell something about their 'personality' than their character, and even that's hardly 100% reliable.

have you ever heard the phrase 'style vs. substance' ? sometimes it really does apply.

also you could just happen to be seeing a normally 'stylish' person having a bad /harried day, etc.
 christ on a crutch
Msg: 59
view profile
History
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 7/12/2010 9:26:37 AM

I'm missing how this ^^ from the OP is so hateful, or even how it mocks men generally.

it's a passive aggressive criticism dressed up as condescending 'advice.' that's a double-dip that ain't gonna go unmarked on this board.

so i could start a thread about how badly some older women need to hear that they have fat as$es, that these as$es make them less attractive and cost them dates, how they should subscribe to my standard of appearance, and where to find people who know far better than them how to maintain a small as$, and only unreasonable women would see that as hateful or mocking?
 browneyesboo
Msg: 60
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 7/12/2010 1:10:32 PM
It's funny with some men, it always comes down to weight.
I can hear it now...Yean I know I dress like hell, but your
ass is fat so what am I? nananananananananana!

I thought this was started as a joke, directed to the men who
do wear their pants around their armpits and who wear
sandals and black knee socks. Then we could point out the
women who wear tight spandax or cropped tops or who have nails
like ..um nails...and carry suitcases disguised as purses and wear
hair and makeup that should be against the law outside of one of three rings.
But I guess that just wouldn't be funny unless we could point out
they had a fat ass.
 sarniafairyboy
Msg: 62
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 7/12/2010 1:15:19 PM
surely this is an exaggeration. I'm quite sure I've NEVER seen any man wearing 'his pants up around his armpits"

some quite higher, uncoolly high, higher than required by fashion -above the navel line or natural belt line/waist line, sure .but I've seen plenty of older women do the same

and usually this doesn't start at 45 or so, it's more like 75-85 or more

but at their armpits? really now..

so fat is 'off limits' but anything else is not? there are certainly clothes/fashions that accentuate the fat and make it more obvious, and some that help to de-accentuate it

Some people are sooooo sensitive.

yes, whatever you say, porky. that was meant in a lighthearted, fun way! aww, lighten up! smile, laugh!
 christ on a crutch
Msg: 63
view profile
History
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 7/12/2010 1:36:46 PM

But your fat a$$ analogy doesn't hold up.
The possession of a fat a$$ can't be presto-chango one-eightied by a few hours of shopping and some money.

the point is the attitude behind the op, not the finer points of its content. if i decided to rag on women with smeared eyeliner, which can be remedied quicker and more cheaply than any wardrobe deficiency, it would make my op no less obnoxious than this thread's.
 MsMicki
Msg: 64
view profile
History
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 7/13/2010 7:02:05 AM
Now I gotta wonder if I've been the subject of some around the dinner table conversations after I've ran into the Dollar Store in my Betty Boop PJ bottoms and a wife beater tank top to grab a can of spray paint!!

Men and women both are guilty of not having any "fashion sense".
Some are far worse than others.
And I, for one, will continue to giggle at them.
If that's a crime.......spank me now!
 Pingshooter
Msg: 65
view profile
History
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 7/13/2010 7:14:34 AM

Now I gotta wonder if I've been the subject of some around the dinner table conversations after I've ran into the Dollar Store in my Betty Boop PJ bottoms and a wife beater tank top to grab a can of spray paint!!

Woooohhhoooo..party time, eh?

Don't forget to get a can of those handi-wipes..takes the paint residue off your face..
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 67
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 7/13/2010 8:28:44 PM

I haven't really noticed any overwhelming fashion-flops of the over 45 men... who cares anyway?

I care more what they look like without clothes.

...Funny you said that. I made a remark the other day about loving a man in uniform...one of my male co-workers piped up with..." Well I prefer my woman without any clothes"

...mae
 whytwater
Msg: 68
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 7/16/2010 4:07:26 PM

wearing a little maeflower just to cover some of the naughty parts

Lol. Awww, if a maeflower, even a larger one, preserves your modesty, not too many ladies are gonna want to see it, anyway.
But maybe a fig leaf (never saw a fig tree, so not sure of that size, lol)- one leaf for each human. A return to fundamentals, in lieu of foundations. How "Retro"!! Cool!
I suspect some would stick with their codpieces, even if a leaf would do 'em. lol Presentation is everything.
 7iron
Msg: 69
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 7/17/2010 6:07:01 AM
I think we should all be able to poke fun at ourselves once in a while.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subj: MEN'S AGE AS DETERMINED BY A TRIP To HOME DEPOT

Men's Age as Determined by a Trip to Home Depot

You are in the middle of some kind of project around the house-mowing the lawn, putting in a new fence, painting the living room, or whatever. You are hot and sweaty, covered in dirt or paint. You have your old work clothes on. You know the outfit - shorts with the hole in the crotch, old T-shirt with a stain from who knows what, and an old pair of tennis shoes.

Right in the middle of this great home improvement project you realize you need to run to Home Depot to get something to help complete the job.

Depending on your age you might do the following:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In your 20's:
Stop what you are doing. Shave, take a shower, blow dry your hair, brush your teeth, floss, and put on clean clothes. Check yourself in the mirror and flex. Add a dab of your favorite cologne because you never know, you just might meet some hot chick while standing in the checkout lane. And you went to school with the pretty girl running the register.

In your 30's:
Stop what you are doing, put on clean shorts and shirt. Change shoes. You married the hot chick so no need for much else. Wash your hands and comb your hair. Check yourself in the mirror. Still got it. Add a shot of your favorite cologne to cover the smell. The cute girl running the register is the kid sister to someone you went to school with.

In your 40's:
Stop what you are doing. Put on a sweatshirt that is long enough to cover the hole in the crotch of your shorts. Put on different shoes and a hat. Wash your hands. Your bottle of Brute Cologne is almost empty so you don't want to waste any of it on a trip to Home Depot. Check yourself in the mirror and do more sucking in than flexing. The spicy young thing running the register is your daughter's age and you feel weird thinking she is spicy.

In your 50's:
Stop what you are doing. Put a hat on, wipe the dirt off your hands onto your shirt. Change shoes because you don't want to get dog doo-doo in your new sports car. Check yourself in the mirror and you swear not to wear that shirt anymore because it makes you look fat. The Cutie running the register smiles when she sees you coming and you think you still have it. Then you remember the hat you have on is from Buddy's Bait & Beer Bar and it says, 'I Got Worms .'

In your 60's:
Stop what you are doing. No need for a hat anymore. Hose the dog doo-doo off your shoes. The mirror was shattered when you were in your 50's. You hope you have underwear on so nothing hangs out the hole in your pants. The girl running the register may be cute, but you don't have your glasses on so you are not sure.

In your 70's:
Stop what you are doing. Wait to go to Home Depot until the drug store has your prescriptions ready, too. Don't even notice the dog doo-doo on your shoes. The young thing at the register smiles at you because you remind her of her grandfather.

In your 80's:
Stop what you are doing. Start again. Then stop again. Now you remember you needed to go to Home Depot. Go to Wal-Mart instead and wander around trying to think what it is you are looking for. Fart out loud and you think someone called out your name. You went to school with the old lady who greeted you at the front door.

In your 90's & beyond:
What's a home deep hoe? Something for my garden? Where am I? Who am I? Why am I reading this? Did I send it? Did you? Who farted?

sarniafairyboy
Msg: 70
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 7/17/2010 9:21:22 AM

I'm not sure where to post this, but you over-45 men need to hear this.

My daughter and I were recently at the mall and I noticed several fairly attractive men around my age. Problem is they all had their pants pulled up under their armpits -- usually wearing a belt with a shirt tucked in -- kinda like Ed Grimley on Saturday Night Live! Now, while I'm no fashion model, I try to keep my wardrobe current -- without trying to look like a teenager.

I realize most older men just aren't that interested in fashion or what's current, but I'd almost guarantee you'd have better results in the dating world if you updated your wardrobes occasionally. If you have daughters, I'm sure they'd be glad to take you shopping and they definitely wouldn't let you walk out looking like total dorks.

so many women 45 + with tight spandex pants rockin' the "GUNT" look.

I find that terribly off-putting & offensive.
 Blue-Eyes-Shine
Msg: 71
view profile
History
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 7/17/2010 9:56:38 AM
^ I know, those women just refuse to listen to their daughters.
 Blue-Eyes-Shine
Msg: 72
view profile
History
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 7/17/2010 9:59:06 AM
Oh...I am going to the lake today and I will be offensive in my bikini, just warning you not to look!
 Brownlady1953
Msg: 73
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 7/18/2010 10:49:25 PM
What about the "older" men with those huge, hard, disgusting guts who wear their pants UNDER the gut so they sag off the ass...

So UGLY!
 satx78218
Msg: 74
view profile
History
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 7/19/2010 3:07:21 AM
Women whining about 45+ men clothing styles?

Can men whine about 45+ women with 45+ pounds? :)
 7iron
Msg: 75
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 7/19/2010 7:06:11 AM
Op, pick a mall, any mall across the country and the men you’ll see walking around the mall will fit your description and there’s a simple explanation for it. Real men who are interested in fashion don’t waste time walking around in some mall. Here’s an example of my typical trip to the mall. First of all, I already know what I’m going to the mall to purchase and which store I will make that purchase, probably Macy’s or Dillard’s. I park right outside that store and walk straight to the department where the item or items can be found. I purchase what I came after and leave, so you better look quick because I’ll only be there for a short time and I won’t be walking by Lane Bryant where the majority of the women over 45 I’ve met have to go to find clothes that will fit. In most cases my trips to the mall are limited to purchasing items that I need immediately since I can purchase the majority of designer clothing and shoes online.

The sour grapes I’m reading from some of the female posters in this thread gives one the impression that these remarks are coming from women who have been relegated to scraping the bottom of the barrel to find a man with hopes of molding him into something he’ll never be. When women's man-bashing remarks tend to be all-inclusive by using "all men" or "most men" it tends to prove this point.
 DrummingNut
Msg: 76
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 7/19/2010 9:03:12 AM

Women whining about 45+ men clothing styles?

Can men whine about 45+ women with 45+ pounds? :)

Um, yep. It's brought up and talked about by MANY men.

Come to think of it, seems YOU just did that very thing.

So yep, your whine counts too.
 MsMicki
Msg: 77
view profile
History
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 7/19/2010 9:03:58 PM

I can pull my pants up faster than anyone can lose 45 lbs.......also ,,,,,,,my heart isnt @ risk when my pants are drooping....lol .......

yeah........but our's might be!!
Crack kills ya know!!
 Brownlady1953
Msg: 78
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 7/20/2010 9:40:30 PM
Procolharem, you are correct. And fashion atrocities aren't just limited to the 45+ crowd either!
 TheReason_
Msg: 79
view profile
History
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 7/23/2010 9:01:54 AM
Haha I refuse to do The Tuck. I just buy clothes that fit well, not cutting edge on the style, but decent.

:)
 Brownlady1953
Msg: 81
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 8/11/2010 9:27:34 AM
You are so correct, David. It's even difficult for middle-age men to ge decent-fitting Khaki pants, but not impossible. Most don't try, because "sloppy is the new casual."
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 82
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 8/11/2010 6:38:11 PM
I cannot sympathise with my fellow goofy males who choose to look sloppy.
I mean geez, as guys we just need to have a decent shirt and pants.
Maybe socks that match.
comb the hair.
and we're done.
Taint rocket science.

Now women on the other hand...that's just a start....
Women got some serious primpin requirements involved to impress us.

I was at the symphony several months ago in my best suit
and scoping out the crowd.
All the ladies were dressed to the 10s.
But alot of their guys were dressed in casual kakhis and sneakers.
They must had money, cus they sure didn't have style is all I can say.
 damassteel
Msg: 83
view profile
History
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 8/11/2010 7:31:39 PM
One of my PET peeves...There's nothing to buy in men's stores. Unless you're prepared to spend much cash, clothing for men is CRAP. My solution; I spend money on good stuff and do not follow trends. And to all you guys who let your women dress you...Grow the f-ck up... My mom did that for me when I was 8. Growing up, I was taught by my dad that knowing how to dress and select items for your wardrobe was a MAN skill. After I turned 12, HE was the one who took me shopping and taught me how to dress properly. Somewhere along the years, a man caring about his attire and appearance began to be seen as gay(WTF!!) all I can say is, women have always loved the fact that I know how to dress properly for any occasion. Elegance never goes out of style.
 c_deacon
Msg: 84
view profile
History
45+ men and fashion
Posted: 8/20/2010 12:56:08 PM
Trying to keep your wardrobe current when middle aged and older, can be a catastrophe for many, both men and women.

Much of what is out there now, is made for the very young, very skinny, very tall, and will make the remainder of the population look funny. You wearing "skinny" jeans to be current, is like me wearing my pants down my ass halfway, boxers showing, and crotch down by my knees........please......

I see women wearing things meant for teens, and even most of those teens can not wear what they are trying to wear. Lycra for those past 30 will look like a whale caught in a net, for 95%, so why do it? Men trying to wear clothes that our son's wear, just does not make it.

There is no need to have shirts tucked in, and those men that wear their pants high, do it because they do not want to have to get four sizes larger to fit over their waist and belly, so they either wear it to high, or to low!!......

One can look good no matter what, if they stay traditional enough to neither look like an older person trying to look young, or someone dressing like our grand parents did. Just as we moved past briefs to boxers long ago, the trend now is to wear shirts out, pants down on the hips, and a smile on your face because you can.

If I see one more middle aged woman wearing pants that show her hips and belly, and a shirt that is three sizes to small, as her body protrudes from bottom and top, I think I will puke as well. I promise not to dress like my grand father, if you promise not to dress like your daughter!!

cd........
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >