Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > What's with this new relationship history question?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 hoopsnnhikes
Msg: 26
What's with this new relationship history question?Page 2 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
Ridiculous. Another drop down menu box for everyone to be judged on. In the very first stages of getting to know someone you're not usually asking each other multiple choice questions of this nature, at least not in my experience. This seems like the type of thing to be discussed between two people when they see fit. Imagine if everyone carried around a label like this in other venues where you might meet someone? This will probably encourage lying as much as anything. I've had a good relationship with my parents for well over 10 years now, so that's probably what I'll choose.

Just about every change that has been made to this site since I've been on it has made it gone downhill in my opinion. What used to make it so great was its simplicity. I already wonder if my answer on the last question we were forced to answer (what's your intent) may have scared anyone off, even though I chose the most "middle ground" option (#3)...problem is, it reads pretty much the same on your profile as the most extreme (#5) does.

What will be next? How many relationships have you had? How old were you when you had your first.....kiss? Mine was in kindergarten so I'll be screwed when that one gets added.
 RushLuv
Msg: 27
What's with this new relationship history question?
Posted: 7/9/2010 5:23:34 PM
I think admin is intentionally trying to strangle his own site. Now, I have to give out information on my relationships? What the heck is this guy trying to do to us!?
 grlnxtdior
Msg: 28
Posted: 7/9/2010 5:27:32 PM
Actually the kiss in kindergarten makes you sound cute... lol.
 RushLuv
Msg: 29
Posted: 7/9/2010 5:39:57 PM
Just went ahead and did something I did NOT want to do, by making a bullshit selection. Frankly, it isn't a bunch of strangers concern nor business how long my longest relationship was.

There is no way I'm being honest on that crap.

Yup...I'm liar....pants on fire.
 smartypants24
Msg: 30
Posted: 7/9/2010 6:00:40 PM

Is the duration of your longest relationship really indicative of your ability to commit or the likelihood of having successful future relationships?

Yes, it IS. The second greatest challenge of life IS finding and maintaining a compatible SO long-term relationship.

A major reason for such a huge challenge, is that it REQUIRES us to allow another person maybe 50% of the control,

which can make us feel so much more vulnerable than most other common situations in life... S

Personally, I think that my choice not to settle for less in my dating life DOES NOT mean that I'm unable to commit, or predict what my future relationships will look like. It means I'm not willing to stay in an unfulfilling relationship, just for the sake of being in a relationship.
 NYguitar77
Msg: 31
Posted: 7/9/2010 6:07:24 PM
Where is this question at? I don't see it any where on my profile.
 RushLuv
Msg: 32
Posted: 7/9/2010 6:11:49 PM
^^^It should be right above your inbox.
 GotAHubCapDiamondStarHalo
Msg: 33
Posted: 7/9/2010 6:13:18 PM
I have always heard the most important relationship is the one you have with yourself! Ergo ...
 xtimservox
Msg: 34
Posted: 7/9/2010 6:22:24 PM
agreed with most everyone else on this thread. thought this information isn't something i would ever hide from someone i liked, this is not something i want to advertise to the world.
this is making me seriously consider deleting my profile.
 NYguitar77
Msg: 36
Posted: 7/9/2010 7:08:27 PM
Yeah, I found it. And like everyone else, I think it's retarded. Another useless feature on here.
 Metreau
Msg: 37
Posted: 7/9/2010 7:18:36 PM
In these times where one automatically assumes certain stereotypes about people before they actually get to know the person, why the F--K should we be expected to answer the question? That's just red-flagging yourself before you even have the chance! Besides, who the hell would even answer that question honestly?

If anything, we should've been allowed to answer the question voluntarily. Oh, and for the record, I lied like hell answering that question. Mine was actually longer, but how long is on a need-to-know basis. I just randomly picked something to get it out of my face.

I thought people disliked hearing about the other's past relationships with others in the first place anyway!!! This is just making things much worse!

Very bad idea there, Markus!
 amygdala79
Msg: 38
Posted: 7/9/2010 7:28:44 PM
I agree, I think it is terrible. There are people out there (like myself) who have specific reasons unrelated to commitment issues that affect how this question is answered. I wasn't going to lie about my answer, but now I feel it has screwed me over. I emailed to express my disapproval- I hope the higher-ups listen to us! Ugh.
 jay189
Msg: 39
Posted: 7/9/2010 7:42:33 PM
The site owner does not know much about successful dating. He only has some basic programming knowledge. Dating expects are not involved in the creation of this site. Hence why it seems so amateurish. This information is only being collected for marketing/advertising purposes. Hence why you can't select N/A as an answer. If everyone selected N/A they couldn't exploit this information. They force you to select one of their options. It's all about business.
 RushLuv
Msg: 40
Posted: 7/9/2010 8:13:45 PM
^^^I tossed in 10 years, and I'm 25? Think anyone's gonna buy it?
 408Dan
Msg: 41
Posted: 7/9/2010 8:23:37 PM
Agreed with everyone, wish the question wasn't mandatory. There isn't even an option to say prefer not to answer. This is info I don't want displayed to everyone who looks at my profile, but I don't want to lie, so I'm trapped. This is too personal for a mandatory profile question, as someone said maybe this is something you discuss after you start dating (or even IM/emailing) but not in my damn profile.
 Cat*Eyes
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 7/9/2010 9:29:44 PM
I see not everyone had to answer this.
 FrankNStein902
Msg: 43
Posted: 7/9/2010 9:30:34 PM
Is the duration of your longest relationship really indicative of your ability to commit or the likelihood of having successful future relationships?

No.

But combined with other data collected I would say it would increase your odds.

By how much?

Maybe 1%, maybe even less, maybe it is more, either way with 18million plus numbers any increase is still an increase and it grows your business.

If a couple hundred people do not like it but it improved your matching capabilities by 1% it is a net win.

According to the numbers POF has the best matching ratio, so the owner must have some idea what he is doing.

I honestly don't think so.

Why not?

Opinions, anyone?

See above.

I see not everyone had to answer this.

Everyone is subject to the same thing.

Some may not have answered it and some may not have even been asked it, as I think you have to either get or try to reply to an email to have the question pop up.
 TBomb1027
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 7/9/2010 9:41:49 PM
I wish they would take the relationship history down. It's not something I am ready to talk about and explain before someone even expresses any interest. This will change people perceptions. Please remove POF!!!
 L2983
Msg: 46
Posted: 7/9/2010 10:20:44 PM
Well I messed up on the question not reading it clearly.. Thinking it asked how long ago was your last relation. So I wrote a yr.. Now I cant change the thing! Anyone know how to change it?
 squeegee
Msg: 47
Posted: 7/9/2010 10:48:44 PM
Well, I am 50. I answered it truthfully... less than one year. I have never been married, and rarely date. I have spent more time alone, and for longer stretches than the times I have been in relationships (years vs. months). So I reckon I will never get a date from here again.
 squeegee
Msg: 48
Posted: 7/9/2010 11:06:37 PM
Next on the list of mandatory things we will have to do will be to take the "personality disorders" test.
 JNinWPB
Msg: 49
Posted: 7/10/2010 12:11:18 AM
This is an awful question. How the hell do you make head or tail out of a number without knowing what went into it? This is a useless piece of information that does little to help me decide whether somebody will be right for me, nor I for them. And it's not something that I would want available for public consumption. There's little hope of getting this reconsidered though, because most users will just obediently answer the question like good little boys and girls. He'd have to see a considerable number of members take a walk. Seems to be the philosophy here though -- if you don't like the way we do something, leave. I really have to think about this. Going back to paying $20 a month is looking better and better.
 OTTO BONN
Msg: 50
Posted: 7/10/2010 12:25:32 AM
. . . most users will just obediently answer the question. . .

They have to, or else no access to mail messages.

There was a workaround, but. . .

somebody was watching.
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > What's with this new relationship history question?