Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > What do you see as the effects of feminism on our society?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 paul_suli2
Msg: 93
What do you see as the effects of feminism on our society?Page 7 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
I have had an interesting experience when it comes to feminist philosophy. I used to dismiss the legitimacy of feminist theory as the product of a bunch of crazy bra burners (and insert other stereotype here).

However, while writing a legal paper on the same sex marriage debate, I happened upon three articles written by feminist legal scholars: Martha Minnow's "Foreword [to The Supreme Court 1986 Term]: Justice Engendered" (1987), Jody Freeman's "Defining Family in Mossop v DSS: The Challenge of Anti-Essentialism and Interactive Discrimination for Human Rights Litigation" (1994) and Catharine Mackinnon's "The Liberal State" (1989) .

These articles completely changed my world-view when it comes to the interaction between the dominant culture and marginalized or minority groups. They opened my eyes to the way that the dominant society is able to define the terms of the debate and create the categories which in turn determine outcome of the debate. This analytical framework can be used outside of feminist issues.

For example: Catherine Mackinon in her essay "The Liberal State" argues that, from a feminist point of view the state is male as it treats women the way that men see and treat women. Through its legitimating norms, forms, relation to society and substantive policies the liberal state "coercively and authoritatively constitutes the societal order in the interest of men as a gender". Same-sex couples face the same problem, as their relationships are judged and categorized by a dominant heterosexual majority that has constituted society in its interest. Thus, the representation of reality that is dominant emerges from a "closed, self-referential system in which meaning is relative". For example, "deviance" has is given meaning only in the context of its relation to the dominant representation of "normality". Similarly, same sex relationships are defined in opposition to the opposite sex standard. The ways in which same sex couples can meet the goals that society wants to accomplish by the institution of marriage are made to be less legitimate. Thus, a barren opposite sex couple is deemed fit to be included in the institution of marriage while a gay couple is not, although both would have similar options available to them when it comes to procreation.
 merelymortal
Msg: 94
What do you see as the effects of feminism on our society?
Posted: 10/20/2010 10:18:11 PM
I think feminism's goals have changed over time.

Originally, feminism's goal was to gain women and their role in society respect.

Then, feminism's goal went into changing the limits of the female role altogether by getting women into roles that in pretty much every civilization throughout history have been filled by men almost exclusively except in rare circumstance.

After that, the new goal to feminism became to make it unacceptable to not agree that women belong in newly available roles as much as men ever did in previously male exclusive roles in first place.

Then, it became the new goal of feminism to oppress males. Mostly male sexuality and the idea of a traditional man, all the things about men that could by their very existence expose the argument of feminism's weakness.

The oppressed have become the oppressors.

Mind you, I am not in disagreement with the feminist movement's actions or its impact on Western civilization until about halfway through my explanation of it, and I understand that to be a feminist today can mean many many things... but basically, I was just tracing the most cutting-edge and mainstream version of what I think it means to be a "feminist" through history to the present.
 FoshFish
Msg: 95
Posted: 10/25/2010 8:33:23 PM
Feminism when through a lot of phases even in my lifetime.

In my pubescent years they were uppity women.

In my teens they were bra-burning Lessies, who did not shave their legs.

In my twenties they were career girls whose point was to get the boss's jobs.

In my thirties they were women who wielded power over any men by: realizing that the law is on their side when they refused sex; they could and would and should instigate sex; they realized that b-control pills were on their sides; that condoms were a mean means of punishing men; that staying single and having sex with many partners for an entire lifetime was acceptable for all sexes of the world.

In my forties, feminsims taught me that the woman keeps the house and the kids, we split our monies, and I get my freedom back.

In my fifties, feminism meant that I get rejected by every single single female (not a typo) when I ask them for a date.

In my sixties I imagine that the Jihad will recruit female suicide wannabes with the lure that in seventh heaven there will be seventy-seven men virgins to entertain each of them.

In my seventies I will learn that my one-hundred-and-twenty-seven year old girlfriend just got pregnant. By a vacuum cleaner. Jesus, will I live down the shame. "Don't suck on the hose, hoser."

In my nineties I will learn that all the angels are male (the heralds of God) because She is a "mean and jealous" ****, just like life, and then

I've died.
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 96
view profile
History
Posted: 10/26/2010 2:05:33 PM

Then, it became the new goal of feminism to oppress males. Mostly male sexuality and the idea of a traditional man, all the things about men that could by their very existence expose the argument of feminism's weakness. The oppressed have become the oppressors..

There's a forum called "happy bachelors" where this sort of victimhood of males is hugely popular and there's free reign on misogyny in the boys club. No "man-ginas" allowed. http://happybachelor.proboards.com/index.cgi
I recommend it guys, if you really want to show your butts and not hold back.

A friend of mine found the site left on her computer after a visit from an ex-boyfriend was trying to get back into her graces and pants. He made some really overtly hateful comments about women and her on the site. Whether on purpose or by accident he totally blew any opportunity for reconciliation.

My mom was a feminist before the bra-burning revolution, just asking for equal respect as a farm wife in a matriarchial culture. She spent her life demanding that respect whether as a mother, a mate, or in city council meetings and other venues. The long history of inequality toward women on this continent since Columbus, is going to take some time to reach the full stasis of equality. The male victimization pheonmenon is just part of the adjustment. So are the backlashes against women and the generalizations so rampant in this thread and culture.

This has been making the rounds today, sent by several women buds. Food for thought.
http://www.danoah.com/2010/10/worthless-women-and-men-who-make-them.html
 FoshFish
Msg: 97
Posted: 10/26/2010 4:07:30 PM
"The problem with a lot of females today is that they think that "feminism" is whatever THEY..."

I have no problem whatsoever with any females today.

It may not be them, K. How was your situation yesterday?
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 98
view profile
History
Posted: 10/26/2010 4:42:52 PM
The problem with most misogyists today is that they did a self-fulfilling prophesy of being rejected as jerks that caused them to become more jerkish, which led to a negative feedback loop of them being themselves, was a bit to much for the attacked.

It does not take much effort to have empathy for those who have suffered under the hard fists of insecurity, misogyny, and the tyranny that was accepted as the norm not that long ago...including yesterday. The attacks continue, as do the rapes, hatred, resentment, and attempts to control that which control was conceded by being a d*ckhead. There is no way to beat someone into love, anymore than we can beat the US into sanity by stomping on the head of a woman. It's a negative feedback loop...not productive, not sane in the best sense of the word. Paraphrasing a philosopher of the recent past..."The problems of the world today do not exist because of the way that nature works, but because of the difference between the way that nature works and the way that man thinks."...I thinks it was Albert Bateson...but would love to recover the source. It all comes down to unconditional respect...between all, mutual, without exception..period. Why is that such a friggin difficult concept?
 FoshFish
Msg: 99
Posted: 10/26/2010 5:08:04 PM
I don't know what your concept is, actually, ^, it's hard to see from where I sit.

What are you saying actually?

For me to commit politically (with a small "p") to align with your opinion, I need to know if you, puppy, are for, or against.

Thanks.
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 100
view profile
History
Posted: 10/26/2010 6:17:56 PM
Fosh...I really wish you had read the link I posted to get it.

I thought I had stated a desire for and expectation of full equality...period.

I thought I had intimated enough that what I experienced with the beloved women in my life, that certain attitudes were unacceptable...and most certainly certain actions, threats, disrespect, and ignorance. Please expand upon what part of total equality that you don't understand.

Okay...focus now. Read this. And then we can talk. I agree with this assessment.
http://www.danoah.com/2010/10/worthless-women-and-men-who-make-them.html

If it ain't obvious after that...
 FoshFish
Msg: 101
Posted: 10/26/2010 7:25:05 PM
Puppy and K, thanks for your explanations. The things you said make sense now.

I appreciate the extra effort you put into it just for my sake.
 FoshFish
Msg: 102
Posted: 12/9/2010 4:22:28 PM
"...only tax half of the population ..."

Absolutely.

In Egyptian societies during the rules of the Pharaos, there was two, maybe three people in each generation that got to see god and go to heaven of sorts. Those were the pharaos themselves, and their main squeezes. Other people did not have a hope in hell to get even to hell. Eternal life was attainable only by the rulers, and the little people never died with their names.

In Christianity everyone got one vote; one human, one eternal soul.

There was a time in-between when women only counted half a soul (after marriage) and one-tenth of a soul before marriage. For instance, the idiom "my better half" applied only to women, not to husbands. Husbands were referred to as "my better whole", but that never got too readily accepted into the English language, due to its connotations already too readily accessible.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > What do you see as the effects of feminism on our society?