Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > Your thoughts on Elena Kagan?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 CallmeKen
Msg: 7
Your thoughts on Elena Kagan?Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)

Quote your source, because I can't let this slide without something resembling a reasonable verification.

Wheatly, George M. 1940. Staff Education Through a Study of Malnutrition in School Children. Am J Public Health Nations Health. 1940 May; 30(5): 542–547.
"A major finding was that in 4,180 or 75 per cent of 5,580 in which it was evaluated, the diet was inadequate." Google is your friend.

this unprecedented climb in life expectancy rates slowed after this introduction of government force into the baking industry

Wow. Are you taking medication for that paranoia?

what you have been told is propaganda lobbied almost certainly by vitamin manufacturers in the 1950s.

Now it is YOUR turn to quote your source.
 Ubiquitous.
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Your thoughts on Elena Kagan?
Posted: 7/29/2010 1:19:01 AM
Inadequate by what standards?

This was literally a time where people were literally living longer than at any point in time. And life expectancy rates were climbing extremely quickly. If you call that population "malnurished", then thank god for malnutrition.

Wow. Are you taking medication for that paranoia?

What? I stated a fact. The growth in life expectancy rates slowed after the 1950.

Now it is YOUR turn to quote your source.

Have you done any research on the history of regulatory agencies? They are almost always introduced by large corporations - who benefit greatly from passing government controls that hinder competition. This is not conspiracy. Read up on the formation of the ICC, the FCC, Federal Deserve, and BAR association. Learn how the FDA is controlled by big pharma and literally causes the deaths of tens - if not hundreds - of thousands of people per year by denying them life-saving drugs, not to mention dramatically increasing the costs of pharmaceuticals .

http://www.lewrockwell.com/sardi/sardi46.html
http://www.fdareview.org/harm.shtml

The vast majority of laws and regulations that we have were not passed because of a large public outcry. They were lobbied by special interests in order to serve special interests. There is a veil of legitimacy, cloaked under the term "regulation". Calling these kinds of laws "regulations" presupposes what you need to prove: that these laws increase favorable outcomes in the real world. These so-called "regulations" in the real world are largely lobbied by and for special interests and have the real-world effect of reducing small-business' ability to compete with large corporations - not because the consumer would rather shop at a large multi-nationals, but because these regulations dramatically increase the complexity as well as the legal and bureaucratic costs of doing business. These affect small businesses proportionally much more than a large company. These result? Less of the natural regulation of the market - the only kind that actually works - and more power for the large corporations who now have legal authority over their industry, by heavily controlling regulatory agencies.
 sarniafairyboy
Msg: 9
Posted: 7/29/2010 12:11:18 PM

She literally said that the Supreme court should not strike down a law congress passes that mandates people eat "3 of _____" every day.

The supreme court exists solely to perform this kind of check against congressional power.

And why the heck do so many old folks here refuse to watch YouTube videos? It's not like I'm linking to some outlandish blogger. The video is of her testimony...

err, something else to waste time worrying about?

like, how the F*CK could they ever practically 'enforce ' such a law?

they could pass a law saying you are required to quack like a duck & hop around on on leg for 5 minutes, , in the privacy of your own home, at 7:00 a.m. each day, but how would anyone enforce it?
we're still quite a ways from the 2-way "telescreens" of George Orwell's "1984"..
 Ubiquitous.
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 7/29/2010 8:09:02 PM
No, sh*t.

But it's that political philosophy - one where government has the enforce just about any law it wants to - that leads to national debts of 9 trillion dollars, enormous inflation, rising poverty rates, government ownership of billions of dollars worth of real estate, and eventually - as so many nations before us have discovered - tyranny and serfdom.
 .dej
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 7/30/2010 1:20:31 PM

The vast majority of laws and regulations that we have were not passed because of a large public outcry

http://www.amazon.com/Jungle-Bantam-Classics-Upton-Sinclair/dp/0553212451
 cotter
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 7/30/2010 6:59:55 PM
She'll do just fine as a Supreme Court Judge.
 Metreau
Msg: 13
Posted: 7/31/2010 1:45:05 PM
My question is......

"Is she GAAAAAAAAAY?!" LMAO......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbc2NaLuv1A

(Fast-foward to 0:38 and watch from there)
 sarniafairyboy
Msg: 14
Posted: 7/31/2010 1:50:47 PM
^^

My question is......

"Is she GAAAAAAAAAY?!" LMAO......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbc2NaLuv1A

(Fast-foward to 0:38 and watch from there)

and that would be relevant to her ability to perform/serve as a Supreme Court Justice..HOW, exactly?

"allegation" that she is gay ? is it a crime now?

should we consider whether someone who is black/Hispanic/other minority is fully capable of being a Justice since you want to bring irrelevant discrimination into it?

thought maybe you'd be supportive of human rights/minority rights, etc.?
 Metreau
Msg: 15
Posted: 7/31/2010 2:28:29 PM
^^^^^

I meant to add the following disclaimer.....

Not Safe For Idiots With No Sense of Humor

IT WAS A JOKE! LAUGH AT IT!!! IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE FUNNY!!
 Ubiquitous.
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 8/7/2010 2:03:18 PM
sarniafairyboy

they could pass a law saying you are required to quack like a duck & hop around on on leg for 5 minutes, , in the privacy of your own home, at 7:00 a.m. each day, but how would anyone enforce it?
we're still quite a ways from the 2-way "telescreens" of George Orwell's "1984"..

You do realize that it's the principle of not opposing tyranny that is upsetting, not fact that she wouldn't strike down that specific law...
 sarniafairyboy
Msg: 17
Posted: 8/7/2010 2:14:15 PM

You do realize that it's the principle of not opposing tyranny that is upsetting, not fact that she wouldn't strike down that specific law...

yes I get your point totally.

meant to add the following disclaimer.....

Not Safe For Idiots With No Sense of Humor

IT WAS A JOKE! LAUGH AT IT!!! IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE FUNNY!!

oh, right, sorry

HEY! I have some GREAT "black" jokes!

want to hear them! they're REALLY funny!!!!!

but they might be Not Safe For Idiots With No Sense of Humor..

hope you can laugh a a JOKE! they are meant to be FUNNY! LAUGH AT THEM!
 hard starboard
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 8/7/2010 2:36:01 PM

She seemed to have a sense of humor.
 Ubiquitous.
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 8/7/2010 11:56:50 PM

It's a little snippet of nonsense combining out-of-context sound/video bytes of the hearing with snarky remarks.

There's no need to exaggerate. The relevant section of the video -- 6:15 to 9:30 -- has one cut and virtually no other editing other than a few words placed onto the screen. It is by and large raw testimony pertaining to her stance on the commerce clause.

I maintain that her interpretation of it (it's not her own) is by any measure a form of tyranny. Her interpretation holds as a principle that it is not the court's obligation to strike down laws passed by legislative bodies that violate citizens privacy and independence simply because they can be loosely determined to be "affecting matters of interstate commerce" in some remote way.
 Super Ryan
Msg: 20
Posted: 8/8/2010 3:33:02 PM
Let's be honest, it was a loaded question.
Had she said she would strike down the hypothetical law, she would have been labled an activist judge by the right.
There was no way for her to answer the question without the right attacking her.
So congratulations to all of those who fell for this old political trick from the right. You make a good argument for testing people before they vote.
 Ubiquitous.
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 8/10/2010 12:01:27 AM
By what standard to you label it nonesense? I acknowledge the video is edited to capture a particular portion of the entire interview, but with respect to the part that is applicable to my OP, the content is virtually unchanged. That section of the video is essentially raw testimonial exchange between Elena and the congressman pertaining to a single ideology.

Actually what she said in the video you provide was, "And I think that courts would be wrong to strike down laws that they think are senseless just because they're senseless." You don't disagree with her on this, do you?

Do you not see that this was a blatant non-sequitur?

The question was not if she would strike down the law. The question was whether or not she would consider that law to "fall under" the commerce clause, and thereby grant the congress the constitutional basis "needed" to pass it.

Her answer did not address this at all.

I can think of no practical reason why anyone opposed to institutional tyranny would believe a government ought to have the ability to use violence in order to force "citizens" to comply with such personal affairs. The judicial branch and constitution were designed explicitly to provide a check against the legislative and executive branch from exerting this kind of power.

If the judges who comprise the judiciary will not perform the intended function of the judicial branch of the federal government, then the efficacy of the entire system breaks down.

Do you not see that it is literally this judicial ideology that allowed the Patriot Act to be inflicted upon us. As well as the TARP/bailout bills? And corporate subsidies, such as those issued to megafarms?

These laws are extremely harmful to the integrity of our society and the stability of our economy. And, under an "original intent" interpretation of the law, they are utterly unconstitutional and would (and I'd argue, should) be struck down by a judiciary bent on maintaining the spirit of the law. A judiciary bent on interpreting laws loosely and broadly has proven to not to prevent these laws from passing.
 cotter
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 8/12/2010 8:30:12 PM

... to think of Elena Kagan... I mean ewww... nasty!
... but I don't find her attractive at all.
Ya ... that makes a big difference on whether or not a person will be a good Supreme Court Judge ... her sexual appeal is really important for that particular task.

There are plenty of "double baggers" in here that really should be careful when it comes to ridiculing others' "looks".

OT ...
I think she'll do just fine as a Supreme Court Judge ... no matter if she's a "plain Jane" or not.

I'd rather she focus on the cases she is hearing and not be so focused on her sexual appeal to those presenting the cases she is hearing.
 sarniafairyboy
Msg: 23
Posted: 8/13/2010 8:39:36 AM

Ya ... that makes a big difference on whether or not a person will be a good Supreme Court Judge ... her sexual appeal is really important for that particular task.

There are plenty of "double baggers" in here that really should be careful when it comes to ridiculing others' "looks".

OT ...
I think she'll do just fine as a Supreme Court Judge ... no matter if she's a "plain Jane" or not.

I'd rather she focus on the cases she is hearing and not be so focused on her sexual appeal to those presenting the cases she is hearing.

yeah, I sincerely doubt that many of the MALE Supreme Court Justices make too many women get dripping wet, thinking about them..
 sarniafairyboy
Msg: 24
Posted: 8/13/2010 10:55:22 AM

Alas. no she will not make a good judge, because in order to rule upon what the constitution says, the majority says, and the rule of law says one must cast away personal emotion and feelings towards an issue. She does not strike me as someone that is going to do that.

And what, pray tell do you base this on? Please provide support.

Her gender?

Your detailed knowledge of her educational background and who she clerked for (do you know who that was?)

What some talking head on Fox told you? Which one?

likely, because in some women's opinions, ANY woman is

ALWAYS better than ANY man --- *sigh* go figure..
 sarniafairyboy
Msg: 25
Posted: 8/13/2010 1:03:08 PM
@ bobis:

OT ...

If Elena Kagan doesn't do it for you, perhaps John Stevens, Antonin Scalia, Clarence Thomas, or Stephen Breyer, or one of the other Justices, is more to your "tastes" ? :)

hmmmm? ;)
 cotter
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 8/13/2010 8:48:23 PM

If she is to far to the left, then I will not like her rulings and decisions ...
Because?

... and if she is to far to the right, I am not going to like her decisions ...
Because?

... and alas if she does not abide by the constitution verbatim, not what she thinks it says or allow her emotions to get the best of her, then I think she will be a failure to both the left, right, middle and everywhere in between.
And most certainly, all the other Supreme Court justices do abide by the constitution verbatim ... right? I mean none of them ever let their religious ideas get in the way of making a decision ... never ever let their political party affiliations get in the way of making a decision ... they all just follow the constitution verbatim ... right?

Maybe you are saying all of the above because of her gender and she was appointed by a Democratic president? Let's see ... the other two female justices were also appointed by Democratic presidents. Do you feel the same about them? Have they been able to abide by the constitution verbatim as you wish? Have they been able to make decisions without allowing their emotions to get the best of them?

What I find interesting is that this is being discussed on Canadian dating site and why on earth would a Canadian give hoot about this?
Aside from what the above Canadian said in message 43, I don't see why it should be a problem that this subject is being discussed in a public forum.

It seems to me it could just as easily be discussed in a European public forum ... and probably is. Americans discuss the election of European Chancellors and Presidents and Prime Ministers ... we discuss the activities and marriages of Queens and Princes and Princesses. The whole world is of interest to common intelligent people ... why not talk about it?
 jed456
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 8/14/2010 9:48:21 AM
What I find interesting is that this is being discussed on Canadian dating site and why on earth would a Canadian give hoot about this?

Well usually intelligent people like to discuss issues that occur in other countries.Also many of the posters on pof are from all over the world. Personally I enjoy hearing various views from people other then just those in the United States.BTW I am an American.

And what is funny about making jokes about a persons appearance?
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > Your thoughts on Elena Kagan?