Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sex and Dating  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 .dej
Msg: 2
view profile
History
coldsoresPage 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I don't think so. But I'm not sure.
 GWSmith
Msg: 4
coldsores
Posted: 8/1/2010 6:26:08 PM
I always erred on the side of caution; if I have a cold sore I don't perform oral.

Not like I need to worry about it at all right now.
 cheaterj
Msg: 5
coldsores
Posted: 8/2/2010 6:42:59 AM
If a person already has HSV-1 orally, it's possible but highly unlikely they will get HSV-1 genitally. However, they are still fair game to get HSV-2 genitally.

If a person doesn't have HSV-1 orally, they can absolutely get HSV-1 genitally.

If a person has HSV1-genitally, they can still absolutely get HSV-2 genitally too. Double H genital whammy.

Now answer me this: People who get cold sores (HSV-1) orally aren't ostracized, but people who have HSV-1 on their genitals are - WTF is up with that double standard? The un-ostracized group are the ones who infected the ostracized bunch.

People suck.
 cheaterj
Msg: 7
coldsores
Posted: 8/2/2010 7:12:53 AM
Perhaps you should search WebMD for 'viral shedding'

That's when a person is contagious without having any obvious symptoms. And that's why the spread of Herpes is so profilic.

And condoms won't stop it - viral shedding can occur in the 'boxer short area'

good luck with your thinking - who knows? You may already be one of the 'gifted' ones.

(Didn't check your profile but assuming you're male :Ever have jwhat you thought was jock itch? That could have been your first and only herpes outbreak and since then you could have spread herpes to every person you have ever slept with)
 U make it entertaining
Msg: 10
coldsores
Posted: 8/2/2010 7:19:01 PM
Yes.

I know of someone who inserted their penis into the mouth of a woman who had HSV-1 cold sore (on the mouth). He then ended up with HSV-2 on his penis. However, previous to he was clean, and she had HSV-1.

I cannot answer to if they are both infected. My thoughts would be DO NOT participate in oral sex with a cold sore on the mouth or face area. Also make sure it is always covered if you go near children.
 windloverr
Msg: 11
view profile
History
coldsores
Posted: 8/2/2010 8:23:07 PM
WHOA!!!! Lots of bad info on here, which is unusual!

To answer your question...YES you CAN transfer it to your genitalia! However, HSV-1 of the genetils is truly not that big of a deal; AND if you already get cold sores, there is a good possibility that you've already self infected.

The Good news is that HSV-1 RARELY has repeat flareups in the genetalia; when it does, it usually isn't bad; and already having HSV-1 of the genetals offers a partial immunity to an HSV-2 infection.

Google "HSV" and go from there. Obviously avoid those sites that are extreme in either direction, ie "Impossible...can't happen" vs "everyone will get it, and you'll all die! It's horrible! and disfiguring!" etc etc.
 arwen52
Msg: 12
view profile
History
coldsores
Posted: 8/3/2010 8:15:05 AM
This is what my dermatologist told me when I asked him if it was okay to kiss my boyfriend when one of us was having cold sores.

Even if you both only have it on your mouth, you should avoid mouth-to-mouth contact. You both may not have the same strain of the virus. You should avoid contact not only when it is active but during the prodrome stage. Most people, before they actually have the sore break out, get a sensation in the area - soreness, mild tingling, itching. The virus is becoming active and you need to avoid contact during this stage.

Yes, you can transfer the herpes virus from one location to another. So you should avoid contact by the infected area, including to yourself. People can self-infect. Avoid touching your own mouth when you have an outbreak and wash your hands thoroughly after you do.

You can get herpes anywhere on your body. It favors mucus membranes but I had a client who got it on her hip after she fell on it. She most likely got a small break in the skin and self-infected. She didn't know she had herpes, only knew that a week or so after she fell she got a blister on her hip that recurred once a year. Recognizing a possible herpes infection, I urged her to see her doctor and that's how she found out.

Herpes is forever. Best to use caution. When in doubt, don't. No contact.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 14
view profile
History
coldsores
Posted: 8/3/2010 7:17:25 PM
I've read all kinds of things both ways about this. Thinking logically, however, I am skeptical that it would transfer at all easily, simply because if it DID, then pretty much everyone on the planet would by now have both oral and genital herpes. Many of the "scare" diseases are like this. Overblown by the media, because they make money off of scaring people, and by some medical professionals who make money off of scaring people.
 windloverr
Msg: 15
view profile
History
coldsores
Posted: 8/3/2010 9:48:01 PM

I'm not sure why that would be good news unless you consider having HSV1 to be preferrable to HSV2 for some reason. I admit that the social stigma of a cold sore is not as bad as herpes in the genital area, but that's only a social stigma that shouldn't exist.
Good, because HSV-2 is notorious for "frequent" flare ups; and HSV-1 is notorious for NO flareups. NO flare ups is, I'm assuming here, MUCH preferable to FREQUENT flare ups; AND having the NO flare up variety gives you partial immunity to the frequent flare up variety. Work with me here...it's like the emperior's new clothes...what you have freaks people out, BUT, nobody knows you have it, and there aren't any symptoms.
Overblown by the media,
Bingo. And, Ill be honest, they got me too. I Really really really don't want HSV-2; but ALL medical media say, "Dude...relax...it really isn't a big deal." My one liner here is, "Detroit is in the automobile business...they manufacture automobiles. ... CNN is in the NEWS business...they manufacture news..."
Thinking logically, however, I am skeptical that it would transfer at all easily, simply because if it DID, then pretty much everyone on the planet would by now have both oral and genital herpes.
Ok Einstein...work with me...'Google' "HSV". If you are incapable of descerning between the actual data, vs the dramatized, politically motivated data; then it won't matter anyway.
 U make it entertaining
Msg: 16
coldsores
Posted: 8/6/2010 6:35:05 PM
igorfranensteen

I've read all kinds of things both ways about this. Thinking logically, however, I am skeptical that it would transfer at all easily, simply because if it DID, then pretty much everyone on the planet would by now have both oral and genital herpes.

80% of the population do (one form or the other)
 ~*Isabel Kitty*~
Msg: 18
view profile
History
coldsores
Posted: 8/19/2010 7:49:04 PM
I've had a few coldsores in my life. People react different to them. One guy would kiss me anyways and didn't give a damn, my BF would not even though 80% of people are infected but may never have a coldsore appear. But whatever, I respected that. I don't know what the odds are of transfering it downstairs, but i'd never risk it.
 SmellyOne
Msg: 19
view profile
History
coldsores
Posted: 8/20/2010 8:23:29 PM
Lots of misinformation. First, to clear it up, the number in HSV-1 and HSV-2 has *NOTHING* to do with the location. They are actually 2 different viruses. That said, HSV-1 USUALLY is on the face (lips, nose, and in worst case scenarios, eyes or even brain). HSV-2 is USUALLY genitals (also including anywhere in the "boxer shorts" area).

So, if you don't have either virus and someone with a cold sore (99% HSV-1) gives you oral sex, you will get genital herpes of the TYPE 1 variant. It doesn't turn into HSV-2.

Most studies seem to conclude that oral HSV-2 is rare and recurrences are extremely rare, whereas genital HSV-1 can still be somewhat frequent in recurrence.

If you already have cold sores (again, most likely HSV-1) and someone with a cold sore gives you oral sex, it is less likely (though nothing is 0) that you will contract it again, since you have antibodies fr the virus already. You WILL catch HSV-2, however, if you have unprotected intercourse with someone else who has it. HSV-1 antibodies will provide some resistance to catching it, but not enough to keep you safe.

Knowing all this about HSV makes me glad that I grew up with cold sores, because I'm better educated and actually somewhat protected against the virus. While I'm certainly not being judgmental about genital herpes, I also don't ever want it.
 SmellyOne
Msg: 20
view profile
History
coldsores
Posted: 8/21/2010 1:02:07 PM
@ToWoman: You are correct. I think HSV-1 and HSV-2 share about 50% of their DNA. So, they are extremely similar, but not exactly the same. I was really trying to point out that people assume oral HSV-1 will "turn into" genital HSV-2, which just isn't the case.
 BoonDockSaint73
Msg: 21
coldsores
Posted: 10/17/2010 6:12:58 PM
aren't cold sores actually herpes?
 arwen52
Msg: 22
view profile
History
coldsores
Posted: 10/17/2010 6:54:37 PM
Yes. Avoid contact when either of you has an outbreak, including the prodrome stage. That's when you get a tingly/sore sensation before you get the actual blister.

Even though you both have the virus, you may not have the exact same strain. And you can transfer it from one body part to another.

I've already talked to my doctor about this years ago. My then BF and I both get cold sores and I wondered if, since we (and 80% of the adult population) both have it whether it was necessary for us to avoid kissing. My doctor is not prude but he said definitely.

I was married for 18 years to a man who had genital herpes and never got it from him. We were always cautious. He did *not* get cold sores and never got them from me.

cankersore is inside the mouth and a form of herpes

According to my dentist, canker sores are not herpes. Also according to the Mayo Clinic:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/canker-sore/DS00354/DSECTION=causes

HSV-1 does not turn into HSV-2 but you can get either one in either place. Actually, you can get it *anywhere* on your body but it favors mucous membranes. One favors lips, the other favors genitalia, but either can occur anywhere. In the eyes, it can cause blindness. I knew a woman who got it on her hip after a fall. I suspect she had oral herpes and touched her mouth and then open skin on her hip. There was a child in a grade school here who got it on his shoulder and the parents freaked out. They were all worried that their children would get herpes, yet no one was alarmed about cold sores on the lips. People just do not get informed, get hysterical.

But definitely practice preventive measures because herpes is forever and it is not fun.
 arwen52
Msg: 23
view profile
History
coldsores
Posted: 10/18/2010 3:49:40 PM

What I have read has suggested that if you have hsv-1 on your mouth, once you develop the antibodies to it, you can not infect yourself from either your own sores or someone else's on your genitals. now you *can* before you develop the antibodies, like in first 6-8 weeks. But after that, they say no.

Do you have a source for this information? The dermatologist told me that there can be different strains and so someone else may have a different strain of the same virus. Also, he said that getting exposed can activate your own. I don't know if he knew what he was talking about but that's what he told me. Personally, I'd rather be cautious.

As for the "equilibrium," whatever that means - some people have natural immunities to certain viruses.
 jojoaus
Msg: 25
view profile
History
coldsores
Posted: 5/18/2011 11:32:26 PM
I have had cold sores since childhood. They have decreased hugely in frequency and ferocity since the advent of acyclovir (Zovirax) and I was surprised to read another poster who said the cream had no effect. I am most likely to get them inside my nose in recent years (ouchhhhhhhhhhhhh ) but at least they can't be seen. I also went through a phase of getting them on the skin between nose and mouth- not the moist environment the virus prefers. Mt daughter spent 10 years being treated for ocular herpes- it is the second most common cause of blindness after trauma (not including degenerative diseases). She once had an outbreak that covered 60% of her face poor thing... try looking like that aged 11.

I avoid any kind of oral contact when I have a sore or can feel one coming on. My current partner has never had a breakout and I would not dream of sharing that particular joy....
 harrytee
Msg: 26
coldsores
Posted: 1/1/2013 6:04:18 PM
there is always a probability..it just will be super slim..thing is that shedding is more active during an oral outbreak..for the most part both people with coldsores cancel out the probability of getting genital hsv1.. however..it isnt the same with hsv2..there r cases of oral hsv2,very rare..extremely.. also, there r people who have both strains of genital herpes..super rare..but again..there is always a chance..just super rare
 harrytee
Msg: 27
coldsores
Posted: 1/3/2013 9:54:51 AM
if u both get cold sores passing it genitally is super rare..preetty much cancel each other out
Show ALL Forums  > Sex and Dating  >