Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 JustAGrlWthACat
Msg: 38
Psychics - your views?Page 2 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
my opinion is you don't pay attention or remember all the times she is not "right", only the times she is and so you think "she must be intuitive".
humans aren't logical beings by nature. it's really easy, and natural, to let our brains "slide"...make the easiest connections.
 slybandit
Msg: 39
Psychics - your views?
Posted: 8/20/2010 10:10:12 AM
My psychic prediction is that this post is about to offend some people.

1. Funny that you had to phone the psychics. The notion of a phone-in psychic hotline is pretty hilarious to start with. Shouldn't they know when to phone you??

2. Fizzysweets, I hate to be a killjoy, but please read the entire wikipedia article on 'cold reading' before you spend another nickel on 'psychics', tarot card 'readers' and similar nonsense: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_reading. I could also suggest "How to Become a Professional Con Artist", by Dennis M Marlock, an ex-cop.

3. Yes, believe it or not, there are people in our society who can predict certain aspects of the future, within certain boundaries, to a certain degree of accuracy. They are called meteorologists, actuaries, credit rating agents, and Warren Buffett.

Anyone who could predict the future with any meaningful accuracy is not going in for small-time grifting on some psychic hotline. They're short-selling massive quantities of stock in BP before the Deepwater Horizon spill is announced, and stuff like that.
 peppermint petunias
Msg: 40
Psychics - your views?
Posted: 8/20/2010 3:18:06 PM

Not me--I had mine removed.

OMG Left
* snort* Stop!!

I predict I will get a hernia over that.

I believe in me

I believe in free will.

I believe in Love.

la la la la la

Stray__Cat
Msg: 41
Psychics - your views?
Posted: 8/20/2010 4:44:28 PM
Well I'm gonna appear lamer than normal going on about this:

but I didn't believe in Tarot cards till I had a dead on reading.

Went like this.
Someone I didn't know and only met once mentioned he does that.
So skeptical me said OK, I'll try.

He shuffled cards and and had me lay em them out as instructed.
He didn't know the question or issue.
Said he didn't need to.

The cards showed sex, eye color, and hair color of the person involved in
the question, and then gave the sex, eye color, and hair color of another
person that would come into play in the future event.
At the time I figured what the cards showed to happen
was pretty damn unlikeally.

which is why as the future event played out, I muffed it cus
I didn't expect neither person involved to behave as they
did.... which they did... as predicted.

Since then I was not skeptical.

Had three more readings from three different folks years after.
Never as accurate.

Two were vague things will work out type readings
(which are not proof of anything)
and one fake telling me what I wanted to hear type reading.

So I don't really recommend getting cards read unless
you know the person is good.

The 2nd reading was abit funny:

It was 20 years ago after after a layoff and I wanted to know what to do next.
As I drew the cards each one was progressively worse and worse.
The reader(a chick), squirmed trying to put a good spin on impending doom.
Fortunately the last card was decent and she breathed a sigh of relief.
She told me that my life would fall off the proverbial cliff into the abyss of woe.
But not to worry, the last card said I would find my wings on the way down.
Which did happen(falling into the abyss of doom),
but I did find my wings.

Still soaring.
sometimes barely, but winging it.

So I don't ponder my future anymore.
just glad I got my wings.
I do NOT EVEN want to hear about another abyss of woe.
LOL
 DarkCrimson
Msg: 42
Psychics - your views?
Posted: 8/20/2010 4:57:51 PM
Someone I know decided to get a book on Tarot cards and do readings for a faire, or gathering, or whatever; just to try it out. The book mentioned "cold reading" people and gauging their reactions. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_reading . This person had those they read convinced that they were a real psychic. A fancy scarf and a dark tablecloth were the only props if I remember.

There is much vagueness in the readings of psychics. e.g. "you will take a trip" "a problem will befall someone close to you" "you are struggling with a great burden" "a major decision weighs heavily upon you" etc.
 HereN916
Msg: 43
Psychics - your views?
Posted: 8/24/2010 11:20:07 AM
Hi OP,

I believe. I have gone to an astrologer off and on since 1982. I can tell you she has been right I would say about 96% of the time. Giving me exact dates I would see someone I hadn't spoken to in over a year. Problems my stepdaughter would encounter during the birth of her second child. Telling me about about my father's death and it should have never happened and the fault lying with the hospital, yet I had never said a word about my father going in for surgery or that he was even in the hospital. Those are just a few incidents I can think of at the moment.

Does it dictate how I live my life, ......no. Do I believe what horoscopes say in the magazines and newspapers........no. What I do believe, is that each of us has abilities or capabilities we aren't aware of and/or that some of us are more intune than others. I also believe in haunted houses as I lived in one for 3 years and can tell you I saw a UFO, experienced what I can only call a miracle and know without a doubt that angels watch over us.

The majority of us believe in God or a higher power, yet we have never seen.
 late™
Msg: 45
Psychics - your views?
Posted: 8/24/2010 10:36:07 PM
Never has so much bunk required so many threads.

I predict there will be more of them.
 Lint Spotter
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Psychics - your views?
Posted: 8/25/2010 5:14:56 AM

Never has so much bunk required so many threads.

I predict there will be more of them.
OMG... you must be psychic!
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 51
Psychics - your views?
Posted: 8/26/2010 11:46:36 PM
To read another's mind, first clear your own.
Cus if you really know thyself.
You'll know everyone else too.

There are no boundaries.

I am not that spiritually advanced.
not EVEN.

But met a teacher who was.
He lectures often in Buddhist circles.
And those that know him well....
make a point to sit way in the very back
just to keep our thoughts private.

Not that he cares.
He is indifferent to other's mental stuff.
But it does makes a useful lesson.

Like the time I couldn't find a spot in back.
so sat up front.

He had a lecture planned.
Saw me sit down.
smiled.
then put his notes aside,
and said he wanted to talk about something else.

And then he gave a very good and long lecture on "idiot compassion".
The type of compassion where we mean well...
but are too blind to be really useful.
He said it was like shooting arrows in the air.
You never know where they'll land.

At the time I was helping out someone who was taking total advantage
of my good nature.
Among other stuff I had going on.
What to do about the situation was a big worry at the time.
I was stumped.

so he's going on in that very kind and gentle Buddhist way on this subject.
I'm trying to slink down and hide in my spot.
He's looking straight at me trying not to smile too big.
cus he knows I know that he knows.
My bud next to me is trying not to giggle cus he knows all about
my woe and tangled situation.

It was good advice.
Our teacher didn't single me out, mention me, or embarrass me in any way.
Just used my predicament as a useful lesson for all.

Sometimes in a quantum universe...
you never know what the possibilities are.
:-P
 m14shooter
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Psychics - your views?
Posted: 8/31/2010 2:31:52 PM
It is all smoke and mirrors. Most people talk to them so they know where to direct you and they use what you say to get your money out of you. It can be trained and is.
 susan_cd
Msg: 54
Psychics - your views?
Posted: 12/9/2010 1:49:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vwy4yB8cSwE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0Z7KeNCi7g&feature=related
 MichelleRenee1234
Msg: 55
Psychics - your views?
Posted: 12/10/2010 3:28:39 PM
I'm not sure what I believe, and I can't claim to know what's true. But it seems to me like fallible thinking to say that "if" psychics were real, they'd be able to do a., b., or c. Or that we could prove it by doing a., b., or c.... In my mind, if psychic talent is in any way real, it's something few or none of us truly and fully understand. Whether real or not, these assertions used to prove to oneself it's not, are not credible. You can't universally disprove something by placing your own personally derived constraints and characteristics on it. It's similar to saying, "Hey, that ship disappears when it gets to the horizon, therefore the earth must be flat and it's just sailing off the edge." You're basing your belief on what you know or perceive without having all the necessary information.

There are probably many quack psychics. But that doesn't mean ALL psychics are fakes. Disproving one, doesn't disprove them all.
 Dan99993
Msg: 56
Psychics - your views?
Posted: 12/10/2010 4:04:33 PM
I don't trust too much the ones making a business of it, but in my experience there definitely is such a thing as ESP or something similar.

But the really good psychics don't seem to advertise themselves too much, and I could understand why.
 arwen52
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Psychics - your views?
Posted: 12/10/2010 4:51:30 PM

Since the Randi Foundation is offering $1,000,000.00 cash to anyone who can demonstrate true paranormal ability, I'd be more than happy to date anyone who passed the test. There are a lot worse things in life than dating a wealthy woman with real psychic ability. Short of that, I'd have to pass on anyone who believed that non-sense. To me it indicates a person isn't cognizant of any science that's been going on during the last several centuries.

Amen, brother!

No "psychic" has ever passed when put under controlled scrutiny. Some know they are charlatans, others actually believe they have power. You can convince yourself of anything.

Want to become a "psychic"? Here are cold reading techniques spelled out clearly:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_reading
 SouthBayNative
Msg: 58
Psychics - your views?
Posted: 12/10/2010 10:44:55 PM
I don't know about predicting the future, but Aquarius/Gemini compatibility is something I have found to be true.

True dat. Did you know statistically that more Nobel Prize winners have been Aquarians than any other sign? Geminis come in second. And Scorpio (of course) is the most common sign for U.S. presidents? Leo for actors. Miss Cleo said I'd marry Procol but he's not divorced. I want my money back.
 susan_cd
Msg: 59
Psychics - your views?
Posted: 12/10/2010 11:16:31 PM

There are probably many quack psychics. But that doesn't mean ALL psychics are fakes. Disproving one, doesn't disprove them all. {/quote]

But the problem isn't how many psychics have been misproved, the problem is that NO psychic has been proved.
 susan_cd
Msg: 60
Psychics - your views?
Posted: 12/10/2010 11:25:58 PM

Did you know statistically that more Nobel Prize winners have been Aquarians than any other sign? Geminis come in second.

Could you post a link to a site with this information?

And Scorpio (of course) is the most common sign for U.S. presidents?

And the grand total of US presidents with the Scorpio sign is....5... hardly an earthshattering number, & it's tied with 5 Aquariuses.

Taurus, Cancer, Leo,Libra , Capricorn & Pisces clock in at 4 each.
Sagitarius 3
Aries, Virgo & Gemini 2
 daffie
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Psychics - your views?
Posted: 12/10/2010 11:32:53 PM
i think psychics are pariahs of society...

vulverable people who are searching for answers, comfort, even validation, are open to manipulation from dodgy operaters who set themselves up as soothsayers. because these people desperately "want to believe" they usually do.

i have a friend who suffered from depression and often sought "guidance" from these type of people.
(she was also targeted regularly by jehova's witnesses.)
there are thousands of psychics, tarot readers, palm readers...call them what you like...
advertised in the daily papers, all ready to pander to the thoughts of their next victim, er, client.
easy money huh?

fortunately she's made a full recovery from her depression and now realises she doesn't need any "shonks" to take advantage of her...
 MichelleRenee1234
Msg: 62
Psychics - your views?
Posted: 12/14/2010 9:45:29 AM

But the problem isn't how many psychics have been misproved, the problem is that NO psychic has been proved

Maybe not. But maybe not publicly, either... The point I was trying to make, though, is that in order to prove it, it would have to be tested. But how do you test something that you don't fully understand to begin with?
 susan_cd
Msg: 63
Psychics - your views?
Posted: 12/14/2010 10:40:15 AM

The point I was trying to make, though, is that in order to prove it, it would have to be tested. But how do you test something that you don't fully understand to begin with?

You don't have to fully understand something to prove it exists. For example, when ( what later became called) radioactivity was discovered, it wasn't fully understood at that time but the dicoverer knew "something" existed that was causing the image on the photographic plate.

Tests can & have been created to prove the existence of psychic powers, even if the exact nature & mechanism of those powers isn't yet understood.

But every properly conducted scientific investigation into psychic power has turned up no concrte evidence whatsoever that such powers exist.
 MichelleRenee1234
Msg: 64
Psychics - your views?
Posted: 12/14/2010 12:00:34 PM

radioactivity was discovered, it wasn't fully understood at that time but the dicoverer knew "something" existed that was causing the image on the photographic plate.

I feel like I'm getting in over my head, but, continuing the devil's advocate way of thinking, I would say that's like a one size fits all type of thing. Like gravity. Gravity on earth is the same everywhere on earth and can be tested. It doesn't change from place to place. Psychic phenomena could/might (if it were real) change in strength from individual to individual, and perhaps it has never fully evolved into the strength it could have in an/any individual. Gravity can be tested. And perhaps psychic activity can be, too. But we *may not* have the required knowledge, tools, etc. to do that accurately. It's possible that the test invented to prove its existence doesn't mesh with what causes or propels psychic ability and that's why nobody is able to *pass*?

Like I said, I don't believe in it or disbelieve in it. I feel there's not enough proof one way or the other and there are plenty of hacks out there to drive any sane person to disbelief. But if this is related to metaphysics or quantum physics, which some or many believe it is, then it may be beyond our understanding as of yet. As well as the fact that humans are still fallible, even if they do have psychic tendencies. The brain is a complicated thing, and because they still have the ability to imagine, it may be difficult to weed out the *vision* from their imagination.

It's hard for me to come up with examples here, but I keep thinking about black holes and time. Black holes are believed to be real, though we have a hard time proving them beyond a doubt, and pinpointing where they are and what happens when you get sucked into one.... Time is also something philosophers have different theories about. Whether it's circular or layered or however it's structure is, we may be perceiving it differently than it actually is.... I speak of time because, in some philosphical theories, you could say that time is the reason for psychic ability. If all time really happens at once (and we perceive it as linear) then it's possible that some people are able to perceive what's happening down the line because it's actually happening in the now... we just won't perceive it until later.

Oh boy, lol, yes, I'm quite out of my league here. My knowledge and understanding of these things is less than base. But this Randi test just doesn't sit right with my reasoning. It's hard to prove a philosophical belief.
 RubyWaxxx
Msg: 65
Psychics - your views?
Posted: 12/14/2010 12:17:45 PM

You don't have to fully understand something to prove it exists.

Einstein called it a "leap of imagination".
I believe there are people who have an extraordinary sense of perception in that they can "read" a vibe better than the average bear.
As far as reading the future - you can make an educated guess, based on a few bits of knowledge, but obviously it's impossible to know for sure.
 christ on a crutch
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Psychics - your views?
Posted: 12/14/2010 1:05:27 PM

But how do you test something that you don't fully understand to begin with?

the test is of whether the practitioners can meet their claims under controlled conditions. understanding their process is irrelevant to that.
 NarcissusTemple
Msg: 67
Psychics - your views?
Posted: 12/14/2010 1:15:08 PM
how do you test something that you don't fully understand to begin with?

With psychics, you simply test their claims.
If they say they can locate bodies, ok--we'll hide a body, now you go find it.
If they say they can talk to the dead, ok--we'll put an anonymous person behind this screen--where you can't read subtle head nods, pupil reactions, and other subtle forms of communication0--and you provide evidence that you're in touch with their dead kin.

I empathize with your desire to believe, but really--devising a test for its existence isn't all that complicated.
It's a con. For any good con there must be an artisan of the craft and a subscriber to the belief.

Gravity on earth is the same everywhere on earth and can be tested.

No, actually--it isn't. "The gravitational force between 2 objects depends on the mass of the objects and the distance between them."

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/The_strength_of_gravitational_force_between_objects_depends_on#ixzz187haTBgx

edit: Oh christ, you beat me to it!
 MichelleRenee1234
Msg: 68
Psychics - your views?
Posted: 12/14/2010 1:31:24 PM

empathize with your desire to believe, but really--testing for its existence isn't all that complicated to figure out.
It's a con. For any good con there must be an artisan of the craft and a subscriber to the belief.

It's not a desire to believe, really, that's causing me to question the accuracy of the tests. I have no reason to believe in it or to disbelieve. I've never been to or paid a psychic. I've never met anyone claiming to be a psychic. I have no personal attachment to the phenomena (if you can call it that) or not, whatsoever. Something in my rational mind just doesn't connect to the so-called logic of these tests. In my view, they don't and cannot disprove the existence of psychic abilities in general. The tests can only test an individual on their own claims. And that's only the individuals who come forward. It's possible some people won't come forward (if they feel they have some ability.) It's possible that things don't quite work the way the tests are geared to test.

It reminds me of a discussion my brother and I had about feng shui many years ago. He saw an episode of that show (god, I can't remember the name of it right now. It's the one where they try to disprove or prove certain claims, theories, etc.... What was that called?)... Anyway, he saw an episode revolving around disproving feng shui. They had four feng shui *experts* come in and evaluate a home based on it design elements. Apparently, all four experts had a different evaluation of the home, and proposed different feng shui deign ideas to improve the chi.... I recall my saying to my brother that that doesn't disprove feng shui altogether. It only proved that at least 3 out of the 4 were incorrect.

I don't believe in any god, but I also don't think that disproving the types of miracles that people use to defend the existence of god generally disproves a god exists. I don't think there's a god, at least not under the definition so many people define theirs as. I understand the logical mind's need to get to the truth about mysteries or things that seem untrue. But I just think that some things are out of reach as of yet... beyond our comprehension, or beyond our capability to prove without a doubt. I'm personally okay with that.

"The gravitational force between 2 objects depends on the mass of the objects and the distance between them."

The speed of gravity might change, but the direction is always the same, which is what I meant by gravity having the same affect on everything everywhere on earth.

But, let's use that quote to compare it to psychic ability (let's just assume it's real for the sake of this example.) If the general affect of psychic ability is the sensing of something through the person's mind's eye, and not a real time observation, then isn't it possible the strength of such a force can change from individual to individual just as the force of gravity changes from individual to individual?
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >