Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 hemanmachostudlovegod
Msg: 128
Psychics - your views?Page 5 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
Souls put into births, or not put in. Babies born without souls having been put into them. This explains Terror Babies perfectly. Empty babies born to be instruments of terror.

The psychic could be someone who was born with a soul from the future put in, and that explains how they can predict stuff.

How come the production of souls can't keep apace with the number of babies being born? Is there a bottleneck in the supply chain? Is it harder to make a soul than a baby? Does it take longer? Is the process yield low? Are there more babies being born than there should be? Who's running this cluster****, anyway?
 susan_cd
Msg: 129
Psychics - your views?
Posted: 12/23/2010 10:18:11 PM

There are a lot of people afflicted with SAD, and it has nothing to do with vitamin D deficiency

I re-read my post & can see that it can be read a couple of ways. What I meant to say specifically was that people who don't get enough sunlight can become deficient in vitamin D, along with developing SAD. I didn't mean to imply any relation between lack of vitamin D & SAD.

In any case, neither has anything to do with astrology.
 susan_cd
Msg: 130
Psychics - your views?
Posted: 12/23/2010 10:22:07 PM

This is an exerpt from a journal of a man that (supposedly) works with spirits, in this case the spirit "Amy" or "Anvas" who was helping him revise the ways he calculates astrological chats.

So he uses something that can't be proven ( his contact with a spirit) to calculate something that hasn't been proven ( the claims of astrology).

Maybe his spirit gets help from a friendly angel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1nsEtjqPg8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDhxcIaC23k
 OMG!WTF!
Msg: 132
view profile
History
Psychics - your views?
Posted: 12/23/2010 11:40:31 PM

Wasn't astrology developed when we still thought the Earth was the centre of the solar system & everything revolved around the Earth? That'd render the fundamental basis of astrology wrong from the start.

Not at all. Lots of Greeks believed in a heliocentric universe. Suggesting Copernicus developed the first heliocentric model of the universe is like suggesting Colombus discovered America. But that wouldn't matter anyway because astrology has always been based on what is viewable. For example, planets can be seen in certain positions in the sky. If something great happened on a night where jupiter was in a certain position, then that position would be related to good things in the future. So it really wouldn't matter at all what jupiter looked like in relation to the sun. Our greater ability to see things now simply allows for greater detail in astrological observations.

If you're going to suggest that a person's likelihood of disease is based on the place where the person was centered at birth, moonphases or something similar, I call BS, sorry. Don't most astrology practitioners willingly declare that astrology is a branch of magic?

Not at all. Magic? No. Historically astrology has been a huge part of medicine. Hippocrates said that no person should practice medicine without first being as astrologer and that no diagnosis should be made without first understanding completely the patient's astrological information. Presently there's all kinds of research being done into medical astrology. Everyone who discredits psychics will also discredit this. Every web page I could list for you with information about it would easily be met with a different web page saying it's all a bunch of BS. So I won't bother. But the effects of even the most common planets, stars and moons on our everyday lives is pretty obvious to me. Obvious enough to realise that a greater understanding of such things would likely be valuable.

While the seasonality we experience on earth (and certainly global warming) impact the spread of disease, I don't see how the movement of the planets impacts any of these previously noted variables. Unless astrology offers similarly accurate mathematical predictors, I'm going to remain a "fundamentalist skeptic."

Maybe I worded it wrong. Forget disease patterns. Medical astrology hypothetically can predict weaknesses in your body that might make you more likely to get certain diseases based on the astrological scenario at your birth. My thought is that the sun and the moon have many different consequences for our lives. Those are only two of several gillion entities in our universe. It might be very possible that all the other stuff floating around out there has an effect too. If it makes you feel any better, astrology is highly mathematical and very much based in physics. A chart looks something like a blackboard filled up with formulas and equations. Your average "buff"can't really do a chart properly.
 susan_cd
Msg: 133
Psychics - your views?
Posted: 12/24/2010 2:32:49 AM

Historically astrology has been a huge part of medicine. Hippocrates said that no person should practice medicine without first being as astrologer and that no diagnosis should be made without first understanding completely the patient's astrological information.

And this is supposed to be significant why? At the time of Hippocrates, it was thought ( among other things) that:

all illness was the result of an imbalance in the body of the four humours, fluids which in health were naturally equal in proportion (pepsis).[21] When the four humours, blood, black bile, yellow bile and phlegm, were not in balance (dyscrasia, meaning "bad mixture"), a person would become sick and remain that way until the balance was somehow restored. Hippocratic therapy was directed towards restoring this balance.

Greek medicine at the time of Hippocrates knew almost nothing of human anatomy and physiology because of the Greek taboo forbidding the dissection of humans

http://www.search.com/reference/Hippocrates
 OMG!WTF!
Msg: 134
view profile
History
Psychics - your views?
Posted: 12/24/2010 8:01:58 AM
And this is supposed to be significant why? At the time of Hippocrates, it was thought ( among other things) that:

You mean he thought that treating the patient as a whole was better than treating symptoms independently and that all the systems of our body were inter related. This is absolutely the corner stone of medical philosophy. It's probably one of the greatest advances in medicine ever made. You can replace the four humours with circulatory system, digestive system, immune system and the biliary system of the liver and you'd have the basics of modern physiology. Much of Hippocrates' surgical techniques and various treatments have only just been replaced with better ones as late as the 19th century. Going from treating disease with magic to treating the pathology of disease is very dramatic and progressive thought. And they all did disections back in those times so their knowledge of anatomy was good enough to do simple surgeries. His most common perscription for sick people...eat better, get lots of sleep and exercise more. And this guy also thought astrology was an important diagnostic tool. Hmm. Yeah, he's probably a quack.
 susan_cd
Msg: 135
Psychics - your views?
Posted: 12/24/2010 9:18:39 AM

You mean he thought that treating the patient as a whole was better than treating symptoms independently and that all the systems of our body were inter related. This is absolutely the corner stone of medical philosophy. It's probably one of the greatest advances in medicine ever made.

But using astrology as one of the tools of the medical diagnosis ( as you stated Hippocrates did) is ludicrous. Hipppocrates may have gotten some of the medical theory right but that doen't mean all his methods were right.
 rpl55
Msg: 137
view profile
History
Psychics - your views?
Posted: 12/27/2010 1:46:32 PM
Interesting news from Vandy.

"The season in which babies are born can have a dramatic and persistent effect on how their biological clocks function.

That is the conclusion of a new study published online on Dec. 5 by the journal Nature Neuroscience. The experiment provides the first evidence for seasonal imprinting of biological clocks in mammals and was conducted by Professor of Biological Sciences Douglas McMahon, graduate student Chris Ciarleglio, post-doctoral fellow Karen Gamble and two undergraduate students at Vanderbilt University.

The imprinting effect, which was found in baby mice, may help explain the fact that people born in winter months have a higher risk of a number of neurological disorders including seasonal affective disorder (winter depression), bipolar depression and schizophrenia."

and

“We know that the biological clock regulates mood in humans. If an imprinting mechanism similar to the one that we found in mice operates in humans, then it could not only have an effect on a number of behavioral disorders but also have a more general effect on personality,” said McMahon.

“It’s important to emphasize that, even though this sounds a bit like astrology, it is not: it’s seasonal biology!” McMahon added.

http://news.vanderbilt.edu/2010/12/babies%E2%80%99-biological-clocks-dramatically-affected-by-birth-light-cycle/

Perhaps the "seasonal biologists" of old followed a more scientific approach than the charlatan "astrologers" of today. Food for thought.

RPL
 mingo88
Msg: 138
view profile
History
Psychics - your views?
Posted: 12/27/2010 2:55:41 PM
i don't believe in them. i don't believe anyone can tell the future. if they could, then why not prevent tragedies? i've never heard any of these psychics preventing a death or major disaster. you know why? because they can't, they are fake!!
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 140
Psychics - your views?
Posted: 12/29/2010 9:58:21 AM
I read the tarot cards with great accuracy: I have told three women that they were pregnant before they knew or before they were ready to tell other people. I used to keep track of my last SO when we were having problems; I KNEW what he was doing and he later corroborated it.

However, there is no such thing as "psychic" ability. I read people as well as I read the cards, and human nature is human nature.

Souls put into births, or not put in. Babies born without souls having been put into them. This explains Terror Babies perfectly. Empty babies born to be instruments of terror.

If souls exist, no one is born without one! If reincarnation exists, new souls are merely generated by the SGM (Soul Generation Machine). IF babies were born without a soul, why would they lean toward being instruments of terror? Why do we assume that a soulless person would be "evil"? Someone referred to the short story "The Nine Billion Names of God," I will refer to another whose title I can't remember. In this tale, babies were being born without souls, and they were blank, empty shells--vegetables.

The psychic could be someone who was born with a soul from the future put in, and that explains how they can predict stuff.

The future is not set in stone. If it is, why would anyone want to know it? The future is composed of a million potential paths--some vary slightly from each other, and others vary vastly, but they are all dependent on the actions we take (or don't take).

I can predict many things, and some will come true: the person who experiences the things that happen will forget the things I predicted that didn't happen.

Again, seeing the future is only possible by predicating the actions of humans based on human nature.
 MichelleRenee1234
Msg: 141
Psychics - your views?
Posted: 12/29/2010 2:41:49 PM

I've always been skeptical about astrology becauseI don't really understand the logic behind it. Why would it matter what planets are in the sky?

I'm always a little skeptical about things that have no known scientific evidence. But, astrology has always seemed like it's not the opposite of logical. The moon has an affect on us here on earth. Planets and stars are much farther away, which could be why the affects are much , much more subtle (barely perceptible to many) and perhaps we don't have the tools to measure the effects at this point. At any rate, I won't put all my cards on a bet made by a psychic or astrologer, but at the same time, my astrological chart is eerily correct about me. Anyone who I could get to read it who knows me well agreed and got one themselves....

Just like believers find any reason to support their reasoning to believe. Skeptics will find any reason to support their reasoning to disbelieve.

The future is not set in stone.

Some people believe time is not linear they way we perceive it, but happens instantaneously, all at once. In that way, it almost is set in stone because we already made the choices we're going to be faced with, and make.

And, as far as psychics go, we can put limitations on something we don't understand, perceive or even believe in, such as "i've never heard any of these psychics preventing a death or major disaster. you know why? because they can't, they are fake!!" But that doesn't mean the premise is even correct. Perhaps we only get snatches of the whole story. And those snatches have to be translated using our human brains, which might not be capable--at least not evolved enough--to translate correctly. Just because so-called psychics haven't been able to predict major events doesn't mean they even CAN. Having no idea how something like that would work, if it existed, our claims about the premise we use to disprove it may be off entirely and ineffective at disproving such things.
 susan_cd
Msg: 142
Psychics - your views?
Posted: 12/29/2010 4:22:20 PM

my astrological chart is eerily correct about me.

Most likely because 1) we tend to look for patterns & for things that correlate with what we've already assumed to be true, and 2) mot statements on astrological charts can be very vague & could apply to a vast majority of people.

It'd be a more impressive if you had your chart done then were given 12 different astrological charts ( 1 for each sign) , read them all, then chose which you thought was yours & your choice turned out to be correct.
 MichelleRenee1234
Msg: 143
Psychics - your views?
Posted: 12/30/2010 11:25:00 AM
^^^ That's true. And I agree that we often do look for relations in things.

most statements on astrological charts can be very vague & could apply to a vast majority of people.

My chart wasn't at all vague. It was extremely precise, actually.
And, yes, perhaps it could apply to many other people, but that's not surprising, either. As I said, the force of astrology is very very subtle. So each individual on earth isn't going to be completely different from the next, nor will a good astrological reading be shockingly different.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 144
Psychics - your views?
Posted: 12/30/2010 12:22:14 PM

my astrological chart is eerily correct about me.

I know too many Scorpios who do not share the same attributes that I have. Yes, I know it is supposed to make a difference according to the exact time and place of birth, but there are also generalities that apply--and they are either SO general that apply to a broad spectrum of people who are not Scorps, or they do not apply at all.

Some people believe time is not linear they way we perceive it, but happens instantaneously, all at once. In that way, it almost is set in stone because we already made the choices we're going to be faced with, and make.

This is a concept that dates back to at least the Middle Ages. It is how Christians justified anachronisms in the Cycle Plays (i.e. Adam knowing about the birth of Jesus): it had already happened.

While linear time is meaningless in contrast with infinity, it holds sway in the moment, the day, the year, and even millennia. In Paradise Lost, Milton's Yahweh says that just because he knows the future doesn't mean that he constructs it. I don't buy into that, either.

As for not predicting major disasters: I predict that CA is going to have a major earthquake in the next 100 years. I also predict that some suicide bombers will kill more people in the Mid-East.

The moon has an affect on us here on earth.

The moon affects tides: how does it affect people and the actions they perform?
 MichelleRenee1234
Msg: 145
Psychics - your views?
Posted: 12/30/2010 1:37:45 PM

The moon affects tides: how does it affect people and the actions they perform?

Right. The moon affects water. Humans are composed mostly of water. Wouldn't it make sense that if the moon affects the water in the ocean due to gravitational pull, it may affect the water in our bodies, too? I have no idea how it works as far as personalities, go. I'm just saying it seems logical that it could influence us, even in subtle ways.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 147
Psychics - your views?
Posted: 12/30/2010 7:32:59 PM

Right. The moon affects water. Humans are composed mostly of water. Wouldn't it make sense that if the moon affects the water in the ocean due to gravitational pull, it may affect the water in our bodies, too? I have no idea how it works as far as personalities, go. I'm just saying it seems logical that it could influence us, even in subtle ways.

This is a logical fallacy. The moon causes ocean tides because they are HUGE bodies of water. I have never seen a tide in a lake and rivers don't rise because of the moon. Assuming that the moon affects people because we are largely made of water doesn't follow.

I lived on the north coast of CA for 40 years. My mother lived there 20 years then moved back to OK. On a visit to CA, she took a bottle of water back to OK because a friend told her the water in the bottle would have tides--just like the ocean tides. I asked her how it would work--would the water rise on one side of the bottle? She was VERY upset because I questioned the validity of her friend's "facts."

The next summer, I visited OK and asked her about the ocean water. She replied, very sourly, that it didn't work.

Some people will believe anything!
 Molly Maude
Msg: 148
view profile
History
Psychics - your views?
Posted: 6/28/2011 12:10:47 PM
when I was single, had two kids to support and was desperate for work decades ago, I applied for a "customer service" position ... I was delighted to learn that I'd been hired!

after the interview and filling out all the hiring paperwork, I was led into a very large room, sectioned off with dividers ... each cubical had a chair, desk, telephone ... the people ... straight OFF the STREET like me! ... sat in their cubicals during their shift, answering the phone ...

the callers were calling a psychic hot line ... and paying an unbelievable high amount of money to talk with the psychics ... (us ... the folks off the street) ...

we were provided with a script and told initially NOT to deviate from the script, no matter WHAT the caller said ... whatever they said, we just read our scripts ... there was also a list of things we could NOT say, regardless of what the caller asked ... for example, if the caller wanted us to talk dirty, we had to just disconnect the line ...

we had to keep the caller on the line for a certain number of seconds ... then minutes ... to keep our jobs ... we were paid bonuses for callers staying on the line over a certain time ...

after the initial learning curve which, in my case was one shift, we were allowed to deviate slightly from the script, as long as our average length of calls remained above a certain level ... once we dropped below that mark (which was variable for each of us), we had to pack it up and call it a day ...

I'm guessing we probably weren't really all psychic ... that's just a hunch though ...

leetabeens
Msg: 149
view profile
History
Psychics - your views?
Posted: 7/18/2011 9:18:23 AM
There is an energy that we all possess to be intuitive or psychic. It's been in my family for generations so its easier to go with it then fight it. Ive been able to help alot of folks with it and that is the bottom line, using our gifts and talents for good. xx
 Molly Maude
Msg: 151
view profile
History
Psychics - your views?
Posted: 7/18/2011 4:10:47 PM
Lettabeens says: "There is an energy that we all possess to be intuitive or psychic ..."

I absolutely agree with her comments ... if a person ALLOWS the intuitive to flow into their conscious mind, I definitely believe it can happen ...

sadly, most children are taught to NOT allow the intuitive to flow into their consciousness ... very few grow to be adults with it still intact ...

psychic abilities are mostly squashed in their infancy ... those whose psychic abilities are intact are very lucky in my opinion ...
 arwen52
Msg: 152
view profile
History
Psychics - your views?
Posted: 7/18/2011 9:00:17 PM
I've known people who believed they were psychic. Eventually, they came to realize it was b*llsh*t.

People can start convincing themselves, but really, they are just good at observation and making general, but vague statements. Occasionally, someone is bound to hit it right. People forget the "misses" and only remember the "hits."

You can learn how to do "cold readings." Here's the introduction to an article on Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_reading

Cold reading is a series of techniques used by mentalists, psychics, fortune-tellers, illusionists, and con artists to determine or express details about another person, often in order to convince them that the reader knows much more about a subject than they actually do.[1] Without prior knowledge of a person, a practiced cold reader can still quickly obtain a great deal of information about the subject by analyzing the person's body language, age, clothing or fashion, hairstyle, gender, sexual orientation, religion, race or ethnicity, level of education, manner of speech, place of origin, etc. Cold readers commonly employ high probability guesses about the subject, quickly picking up on signals from their subjects as to whether their guesses are in the right direction or not, and then emphasizing and reinforcing any chance connections the subjects acknowledge while quickly moving on from missed guesses.
 leetabeens
Msg: 153
view profile
History
Psychics - your views?
Posted: 7/19/2011 2:44:55 PM
Everyone is entitled to their opinions on the topic. Ive grown up with the ability around me and always had signs of things within nature and environment. It involves opening your mind and heart to the brilliance of all life has to offer. I have a steady stream of happy clients so I have no reason to doubt myself or my abilities. I dont believe it has anything to do with starving children. That is a world wide problem called poverty.
 2findU
Msg: 154
view profile
History
Psychics - your views?
Posted: 7/19/2011 4:34:48 PM
Frankly, there is no such thing as a psychic. They are all phony. Here's how anyone can be a psychic:

http://www.skeptic.com/downloads/10_Easy_Psychic_Lessons.pdf
 leetabeens
Msg: 155
view profile
History
Psychics - your views?
Posted: 7/20/2011 6:16:03 AM
Interesting this is the first Ive heard of 3 million dollars, Sylvia Brown probably will take that ....haha
I don't see a problem making money for a job well done. There are a lot of consultants out there who make a decent living. I think its up to each individual and their choices of what their career path is going to be. Personally I enjoy working with people. There is something to be said about near death experiences strengthening the ability. After having a very serious sickness I found my intuition super sized. Personal growth can do that as well during deep meditation. The Tibetan monks have known this for centuries. I became an author after doing some teaching and just had my first book published last year.
Proving a point or having our abilities measured would be a difficult task as we are all developing at different rates of awareness, that would be similar to rating your faith or spirituality.
 FrankNStein902
Msg: 156
Psychics - your views?
Posted: 7/20/2011 12:02:31 PM

...Interesting this is the first Ive heard of 3 million dollars,...

Then I guess you are not psychic.

...Sylvia Brown probably will take that ....haha

Nope she has been exposed as a fraud many times over.

...Browne agreed to take James Randi’s challenge in which he offered $1 million for proof of psychic phenomena.James Randi(born August 1928, and using the stage name of The Amazing Randi) is a stage magician and scientific skeptic best known as a challenger of paranormal claims and pseudoscience.On September 3, 2001, Randi appeared with Browne on Larry King Live, and she again accepted the challenge. To date, she had not been tested and James Randi keeps a clock on his website recording the number of weeks that have passed since Browne accepted the challenge.

..and lets not forget that she is also a criminal, looks like joke is on you.

In 1992, Browne and her estranged husband were indicted on several charges of investment fraud and grand theft. The Superior Court of Santa Clara County, California, found that Browne and her husband sold securities in a gold-mining venture under false pretenses. In at least one instance, they told a couple their$20,000 investment was to be used for immediate operating costs.Instead, the money was transferred to an account for their Nirvana Foundation for Psychic Research. Browne pled no contest to securities fraud and was indicted on grand larceny in Santa Clara County, California, on May 26, 1992. Sylvia and her estranged husband Kenzil Dalzell Brown pleaded no contest to a felony charge of securities fraud, made restitution, and received one year probation each. Dalzell Brown’s disposition included “County Jail four months with credit for time served of twenty-one days,” while Sylvia’s included two hundred hours of community service.
 2findU
Msg: 158
view profile
History
Psychics - your views?
Posted: 7/20/2011 1:52:51 PM
The Amazing Randy has the $1 million challenge for the paranormal. Nobody has won it and probably never will either:

The Foundation is committed to providing reliable information about paranormal claims. It both supports and conducts original research into such claims.

At JREF, we offer a one-million-dollar prize to anyone who can show, under proper observing conditions, evidence of any paranormal, supernatural, or occult power or event. The JREF does not involve itself in the testing procedure, other than helping to design the protocol and approving the conditions under which a test will take place. All tests are designed with the participation and approval of the applicant. In most cases, the applicant will be asked to perform a relatively simple preliminary test of the claim, which if successful, will be followed by the formal test. Preliminary tests are usually conducted by associates of the JREF at the site where the applicant lives. Upon success in the preliminary testing process, the "applicant" becomes a "claimant."

To date, no one has passed the preliminary tests.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >