Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Is Fox News Evil or Stupid? [CLOSED for further review]      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Neopoli
Msg: 251
Is Fox News Evil or Stupid?Page 11 of 26    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26)

Um, no. Sorry, but just google Fox News demographics and you'll see that you're wrong about that part of your rebuttal.

...Advertisers don't covet the elderly. They may have money, but they aren't buying i-Pads, going to see the latest slasher flick, or figuring out which beer they want to drink. Most commercials are targeted at 18 to 30 year olds. Fox exists to lie to elderly shut-ins. They may not want to wear the same shoes LeBron James does, but they do vote.

Geez. Just click on the godddammm link & check the listed age groups. 25-to-54 year olds are not elderly shut-ins.

All I said was, of all the cable network shows that compete with Fox shows, Fox beats them in ALL listed veiwership age categories. Its there in the link . CLICK ON THE LINK.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2011/04/29/cable-news-ratings-for-thursday-april-28-2011/90976

You can check any day's ratings from yesterday all the way back. We arent talking about advertisers or their dollars. We are talking about a demographic cross-section of Democrats, Republicans, & Independents who watch Fox ON A REGULAR BASIS in greater numbers than other similar agendist cable shows.

Because people that claim Fox dominates the ratings fail to mention that they are talking only cable news network ratings and not all news programs.

If they did they would clearly see that compared to the major networks Fox is just a drop in the bucket.

We all know that....but this thread is 6 pages long because certain groups of people are bent out of shape at their "drop in the bucket" success & cross-section veiwership dem ographics. Nobody seems to be comparing them to anyone else besides the other comparable agendist shows from the other cable networks, that are being spanked handily by FOX & their tri-partisan veiwership.. I was only responding to your excited but deceptive peeing-your-pants comparison in post #281 concerning Fox vs other CABLE news shows , that the current veiwership ratings show otherwise.

Earthpuppy
Msg: 252
view profile
History
Is Fox News Evil or Stupid?
Posted: 4/30/2011 11:27:00 PM
In other news, 2.5 to 3 million old, white, rich, male, homophobic, racist Americans now constitute a majority and a trouncing. Updates at 11.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 253
view profile
History
Posted: 5/1/2011 7:59:37 AM
I wouldn't go as far as that, Earth. I USED to watch Fox, as a part of my discipline to try to get all sides of an issue. I didn't stop because they were upsetting me, I stopped because I realized that they did NOT represent the real views of the conservatives I knew at all. They are more like an insane variety extravaganza, with a light sprinkling of occasional basic news readers, to disguise themselves as a real news channel. The people who so fiercely defend them aren't even the majority of their viewership .
Again, it doesn't MATTER how many do or don't watch. That has nothing to do with whether they are evil or stupid, or traitors, or a front business for a bunch of greedy lying scammers (that last gets my vote).
Think on it: PROFESSIONAL WRESTLING has more viewers than any news channel, INCLUDING Fox. IT DOESN'T MEAN ANYTHING. At least, nothing pertinent to this discussion.
 Twilightslove
Msg: 254
view profile
History
Posted: 5/1/2011 8:51:04 AM
Could it be that people turn into Fox for their regularly scheduled programs instead of their news and just get sucked into the news via the programs that they like such as American Idol, Family Guy, Simpson's, American Dad, Glee, etc?

I don't watch TV so I'm not sure if those are all on Fox or not. I just did a quick search to see what they show besides news. If people are like most that I know the TV stays on for many hours even if they are not actually viewing it.

Just thoughts.

It just makes sense to me that you need to throw out the right bait when you cast your line in the pool to catch the fish that you actually want to catch. The audience most receptive to buy anything you are selling hook, line, and sinker.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 255
view profile
History
Posted: 5/2/2011 4:44:22 AM
Twilightslove: there's a differnt between a local Fox affiliate, and the official Fox News cable channel. This tread is about the latter. My local Fox affiliate's local news does a fine job, all in all.
Actually, if Fox News DID run Simpsons, I'd probably watch them more.
 FrankNStein902
Msg: 256
Posted: 5/2/2011 10:11:35 AM
Once again you make the call, Stupid or Evil?

As Fox airs this caption Obama bin Laden Dead.

http://www.yasrsly.com/wp-content/main/2011_05/fox-news-obama-bin-laden-dead.jpg

http://joelfinnigan.com/fox/mark-knoller-fox-affiliate-and-keith-olbermann-among-many-to-commit-obama/
 Neopoli
Msg: 257
Posted: 5/2/2011 1:39:41 PM
You should keep this in mind.......you shouldnt get that bent out of shape about FOX's numbers. Yes, they look mighty impressive & spank the competition, but remember, FOX is the only center-right/right leaning network, so most people who follow the philosophy tune into FOX soley due to there being no competition from anyone else. They hold a sort of monopoly on that.

On the other hand, MSNBC, CNN, CNBC, etc. are all basically similarily center/left/left leaning in comparison. There are about a half-dozen of them to pick from, thus diluting any majority numbers ratings among them. If there were a half dozen FOX-leaning networks, Im quite sure FOX's numbers would be just as diluted as the others.

Also, FOX seems to be the type of network that jumps on & reports rumors quickly without waiting to see where it goes. That is not much of a different practice than the National Enquirer. A fair portion of National Enquirer stories seem outlandish at first, but many, many of them have panned out & became true, due to seizing the first clue of a story.

A good example I remember when standing in line at the checkout many years ago seeing the National Enquirer headlines: MICHAEL LANDON DYING OF CANCER.

Of course nobody else reported anything like that, so you snicker at how outlandish it seems, roll your eyes, & forget about it. 6 months later, an "official" release states that Michael Landon has terminal inoperable colon cancer & its gets reported by all the "legit" news media. The Enquirer was right 6 months before, but they were the only ones went out on a limb & risked reporting it before it was deemed "officially true". This is what FOX does. There is surely a market for that, plus many rumors pan out to truth, so FOX gets the jump on those that are legit, but at the same time get whipped for the false stories.

Remember their motto: We Report - You Decide". Thats exactly what I do.

Just sayin'.
 Ailliss
Msg: 258
Posted: 5/3/2011 9:13:50 PM

Neither; they are informative and IMO more so than mainstream media.

For the last couple of days I have watched both FOX and CNN for the latest news on the killing of OBL. They are both reporting identically regarding the killing of OBL. I prefer Fox because they have correspondents and anchors that I like a bit more than the CNN folks. Though I really like Anderson cooper, on CNN, as he goes to the news sources, (or makes it look like he does). What I mean by this is that being on the territory does not mean he actually talks to the sources he is quoting.

We’ve seen proof of the falsehoods and sensationalism with the most recent explosive news:

Osama was unarmed: Blatantly false.

Truth: OBL had more than ample time to grab a weapon. He could not help but hear the helicopter landing; especially since it crashed into his compound.
Killing of his guards. Think this guy does not have a weapon near him at all times and that he did not have more than the necessary 10 seconds to grab it?

Flawless mission: Not at all:

The main helicopter failed. This plan had months to assure the proper performance of mechanical equipment and should have prevented this. This caused a fire and alerted the very nearby Pakistani military base.

Navy Seals went to Osama’s hideout to arrest him:
Trained killers were sent to annihilate this despot.

All news stations are sensationalists. They are hungry for whatever news the ratings find most viewers deem sensational.

Why I, and a most viewers, prefer Fox.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 259
view profile
History
Posted: 5/3/2011 10:18:58 PM
I continue to vote Fox as "willfully incompetent, sensationalist, and even MORE committed to 'creating' the "news"[ than the left-leaning news shows."

I have observed many times, that someone who believes this or that news show is "more fair and balanced" than another (whether left leaning, right leaning, or centrist deluded), usually think so, because the show supports their prejudices more closely than other shows.
 Ailliss
Msg: 260
Posted: 5/3/2011 11:20:42 PM

I have observed many times, that someone who believes this or that news show is "more fair and balanced" than another (whether left leaning, right leaning, or centrist deluded), usually think so, because the show supports their prejudices more closely than other shows.

The above statement includes you and everyone else. That is what we call preferences; which means that your choice is no better than mine or that of anyone else’s.

However, most of us evaluate what we hear on the news and many of us arrive at entirely different conclusions than what the news presented to us.
 PGL7
Msg: 261
Posted: 5/10/2011 6:16:26 PM
As of today May 10 2011, Fox news ratings continue to be more than double of their closest competitor.
If this were an election it would be a landslide.

The people have spoken.
 errant71
Msg: 262
Posted: 5/10/2011 6:45:19 PM
Nah ... the TV cable viewing populace may have spoken.

But, the non-TV viewing populace minds remain ... untainted.
 FrankNStein902
Msg: 263
Posted: 5/11/2011 6:03:41 AM

As of today May 10 2011, Fox news ratings continue to be more than double of their closest competitor.

Being the number one cable news show is like winning the gold medal at the special Olympics.

Either way at the end of the day you are still _______ ____ed.
 PGL7
Msg: 264
Posted: 5/11/2011 1:08:21 PM

Being the number one cable news show is like winning the gold medal at the special Olympics.

Either way at the end of the day you are still _______ ____ed.

Ya nobody watches cable news.
Thats why you have commented on this thread and why this thread lives.
lol
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 265
Posted: 5/11/2011 3:16:59 PM
I wonder what the FOX share is compared with Jerry Springer or Maury???The content quotent isn't that dissimilar.
 FrankNStein902
Msg: 266
Posted: 5/12/2011 5:36:14 PM
Stewart proving once more how stupid Faux News really is.

CAN: http://watch.thecomedynetwork.ca/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart/full-episodes/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart---may-11-2011/#clip463535

USA: http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-may-11-2011/tone-def-poetry-jam
 FrankNStein902
Msg: 267
Posted: 5/25/2011 6:42:42 PM
How Roger Ailes Built the Fox News Fear Factory

The onetime Nixon operative has created the most profitable propaganda machine in history. Inside America's Unfair and Imbalanced Network

By Tim D*ckinson
May 25, 2011 8:00 AM ET

At the Fox News holiday party the year the network overtook archrival CNN in the cable ratings, tipsy employees were herded down to the basement of a Midtown bar in New York. As they gathered around a television mounted high on the wall, an image flashed to life, glowing bright in the darkened tavern: the MSNBC logo. A chorus of boos erupted among the Fox faithful. The CNN logo followed, and the catcalls multiplied. Then a third slide appeared, with a telling twist. In place of the logo for Fox News was a beneficent visage: the face of the network’s founder. The man known to his fiercest loyalists simply as "the Chairman" – Roger Ailes.

“It was as though we were looking at Mao,” recalls Charlie Reina, a former Fox News producer. The Foxistas went wild. They let the dogs out. Woof! Woof! Woof! Even those who disliked the way Ailes runs his network joined in the display of fealty, given the culture of intimidation at Fox News. “It’s like the Soviet Union or China: People are always looking over their shoulders,” says a former executive with the network’s parent, News Corp. “There are people who turn people in.”

This article appears in the June 9, 2011 issue of Rolling Stone. The issue will be available on newsstands and in the online archive May 27.

The key to decoding Fox News isn’t Bill O’Reilly or Sean Hannity. It isn’t even News Corp. chief Rupert Murdoch. To understand what drives Fox News, and what its true purpose is, you must first understand Chairman Ailes. “He is Fox News,” says Jane Hall, a decade-long Fox commentator who defected over Ailes’ embrace of the fear-mongering Glenn Beck. “It’s his vision. It’s a reflection of him.”

Ailes runs the most profitable – and therefore least accountable – head of the News Corp. hydra. Fox News reaped an estimated profit of $816 million last year – nearly a fifth of Murdoch’s global haul. The cable channel’s earnings rivaled those of News Corp.’s entire film division, which includes 20th Century Fox, and helped offset a slump at Murdoch’s beloved newspapers unit, which took a $3 billion write-down after acquiring The Wall Street Journal. With its bare-bones news­gathering operation – Fox News has one-third the staff and 30 fewer bureaus than CNN – Ailes generates profit margins above 50 percent. Nearly half comes from advertising, and the rest is dues from cable companies. Fox News now reaches 100 million households, attracting more viewers than all other cable-news outlets combined, and Ailes aims for his network to “throw off a billion in profits.”

The outsize success of Fox News gives Ailes a free hand to shape the network in his own image. "Murdoch has almost no involvement with it at all," says Michael Wolff, who spent nine months embedded at News Corp. researching a biography of the Australian media giant. "People are afraid of Roger. Murdoch is, himself, afraid of Roger. He has amassed enormous power within the company – and within the country – from the success of Fox News."

Fear, in fact, is precisely what Ailes is selling: His network has relentlessly hyped phantom menaces like the planned “terror mosque” near Ground Zero, inspiring Florida pastor Terry Jones to torch the Koran. Privately, Murdoch is as impressed by Ailes’ business savvy as he is dismissive of his extremist politics. "You know Roger is crazy," Murdoch recently told a colleague, shaking his head in disbelief. "He really believes that stuff."

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/how-roger-ailes-built-the-fox-news-fear-factory-20110525

Read about Karl Rove's latest project: a political machine to destroy the Democrats

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/rove-rides-again-20100512

Read about the GOP's dirty war against Obama

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/the-gops-dirty-war-20100303
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 268
Posted: 6/23/2011 6:46:02 PM
Gawd....Fox and Carl....who's the bigger liar.

I just tuned into FOX for grins and giggles...another shout down debate...the funny thing is in another thread someones logic is he who shouts the loudest is the one telling the truth....somehow I see FOX as perpetuating this flawed reasoning.
 FrankNStein902
Msg: 269
Posted: 7/1/2011 4:44:46 AM
How it all began

Roger Ailes’ Secret Nixon-Era Blueprint for Fox News
Jun 30, 2011 1:02 PM
John Cook

Republican media strategist Roger Ailes launched Fox News Channel in 1996, ostensibly as a "fair and balanced" counterpoint to what he regarded as the liberal establishment media. But according to a remarkable document buried deep within the Richard Nixon Presidential Library, the intellectual forerunner for Fox News was a nakedly partisan 1970 plot by Ailes and other Nixon aides to circumvent the "prejudices of network news" and deliver "pro-administration" stories to heartland television viewers.

The memo—called, simply enough, "A Plan For Putting the GOP on TV News"— is included in a 318-page cache of documents detailing Ailes' work for both the Nixon and George H.W. Bush administrations that we obtained from the Nixon and Bush presidential libraries. Through his firms REA Productions and Ailes Communications, Inc., Ailes served as paid consultant to both presidents in the 1970s and 1990s, offering detailed and shrewd advice ranging from what ties to wear to how to keep the pressure up on Saddam Hussein in the run-up to the first Gulf War.

The documents—drawn mostly from the papers of Nixon chief of staff and felon H.R. Haldeman and Bush chief of staff John Sununu—reveal Ailes to be a tireless television producer and joyful propagandist. He was a forceful advocate for the power of television to shape the political narrative, and he reveled in the minutiae constructing political spectacles—stage-managing, for instance, the lighting of the White House Christmas tree with painstaking care. He frequently floated ideas for creating staged events and strategies for manipulating the mainstream media into favorable coverage, and used his contacts at the networks to sniff out the emergence of threatening narratives and offer advice on how to snuff them out—warning Bush, for example, to lay off the golf as war in the Middle East approached because journalists were starting to talk. There are also occasional references to dirty political tricks, as well as some positions that seem at odds with the Tea Party politics of present-day Fox News: Ailes supported government regulation of political campaign ads on television, including strict limits on spending. He also advised Nixon to address high school students, a move that caused his network to shriek about "indoctrination" when Obama did it more than 30 years later.

http://gawker.com/5814150/roger-ailes-secret-nixon+era-blueprint-for-fox-news

Some highlights:

Today television news is watched more often than people read newspapers, than people listen to the radio, than people read or gather any other form of communication. The reason: People are lazy. With television you just sit—watch—listen. The thinking is done for you...

This is a plan that places news of importance to localities (Senators and representatives are newsmakers of importance to their localities) on local television news programs while it is still news. It avoids the censorship, the priorities, and the prejudices of network news selectors and disseminators...

Basically a very good idea. It should be expanded to include other members of the administration such as cabinet involved in activity with regional or local interest. Also could involve GOP governors when in DC. Who would purchase equipment and run operation—White House? RNC? Congressional caucus? Will get some flap about news management.

Bob—if you decide to go ahead we would as a production company like to bid on packaging the entire project. I know what has to be done and we could test the feasibility for 90 days without making a commitment beyond that point.

With regard to the news programming effort as proposed last summer, Ailes feels this is a good idea and that we should be going ahead with it. Haldeman suggested the name 'Capitol News Service' and Ailes will probably be doing more work in this area.

Regulating Campaigns

I am in favor of limiting the number of commercials shown shown on TV during a campaign, and in fact would favor a clause requiring no less than 35% of broadcast monies available to a candidate be spent on buying program time instead of commercial time.

Three weeks is much too short for this country but, on the other hand, the fatiguing situation we have now with seven semi-announced candidates a year and a half away from the election running around the country Monday morning quarterbacking is also going too far. In my opinion, if the news media would quit trying to create false excitement by covering all potential presidential candidates in terms of a popularity poll, which is meaningless at this stage, they would be taking a giant step forward in journalistic responsibility.

Lighting the Christmas Tree
Ziegler indicated to me that it is important the president ask the child to help him light the tree and both throw the switch together. Otherwise, the press will play up the boy's name as lighting the Christmas tree

All 318 pages are available here - http://gawkernet.com/ailesfiles/ailesfiles.html
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 270
view profile
History
Posted: 7/2/2011 12:51:09 PM
We see a lot of the same Fox tactics in these Forums.
http://www.truth-out.org/14-propaganda-techniques-fox-news-uses-brainwash-americans/1309612678
 Ready4SomethingFun
Msg: 271
view profile
History
Posted: 7/2/2011 5:38:42 PM

We see a lot of the same Fox tactics in these Forums.

Yeah we do, and it's astounding how often the anti-Fox people use them them too, isn't it? Oh, well, it's better to learn the game from the pros I suppose.
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 272
view profile
History
Posted: 7/2/2011 8:46:30 PM
5, 7,14 hut, good play.
 4rumninja
Msg: 273
Posted: 7/5/2011 4:29:37 AM
Funny to see so many bashing Fox while accepting everything that this administration puts out..how many reports can be erroneous before Liberals will accept reality? Fox News is not the evil, it just seems that way to those who want to keep the failure of this administration a secret...even their own appointed panels are starting to report that the stimulus was a failure...If I were an Obama Zealot I wouldn't like Fox news much as they are the only network that actually digs into issues instead of just taking the word of the Obama propaganda machine....

Those of you who aren't aware of Alinsky should read Rules for Radicals..nice to see the playbook of those on the Left..feel like the other coach in the Waterboy...
 Sportsfreak89
Msg: 274
Posted: 7/5/2011 5:17:46 PM
Fox News is a joke. They're news couldn't be any further off base and why anyone wastes their time watching it I have yet to figure out.
 show me please
Msg: 275
Posted: 7/10/2011 4:08:09 PM
yeah, its better to watch cnn, drooling over obama or better yet, smarmy msnbc trashing the repubs at every possible turn. that way the mall zombies can vote for communism and we can all be happy.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Is Fox News Evil or Stupid? [CLOSED for further review]