Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Is Fox News Evil or Stupid? [CLOSED for further review]      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 timetogo3223
Msg: 376
Is Fox News Evil or Stupid?Page 16 of 26    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26)
fly...

I think that there should be a website that points out the many factual errors and distortions exhibited by Fox News. There should even be a lawsuit on record that exposes Fox News' lack of journalistic integrity, and the complete legality of that lack-- that would definitely illustrate the importance of critical thinking skills when watching any news, really.

Excellent idea. There is already Attackwatch.com, the purpose of which is to point out errors and attacks against Emperor Obama. Can I suggest somebody quickly register the AttackFox.com domain?

There can never be enough snitch-like web sites with citizens doing their best to shut down, with the help of litigation, the speech they do not like to hear. A guy with a bad haircut and severely clipped moustache would be very proud of such efforts. Heil to that idea!
 flyguy51
Msg: 377
Is Fox News Evil or Stupid?
Posted: 11/27/2011 10:19:27 AM
timetogo:

Invoking Godwin's Law already? Tsk, tsk...

Edit:
Oh, wait... it has gotten to 18 pages now-- you have properly fulfilled Godwin's Law, then. Much like Judas was, you are an instrument in the fulfillment of a prophecy.
 matchlight
Msg: 378
view profile
History
Posted: 11/27/2011 10:29:02 AM

I have no idea, other than money and corruption, why Fox "News" has not been shut down under FCC rules.

That does not surprise me in the least. And just what federal law would authorize those FCC rules, I wonder? If statists had better arguments, they might not need to try so hard to silence people who disagree with them. In a way, it's good, though, because the harder they try, the more they expose their brownshirt instincts.
 lyingcheat
Msg: 379
view profile
History
Posted: 11/27/2011 10:49:01 AM

There can never be enough snitch-like web sites with citizens doing their best to shut down, with the help of litigation, the speech they do not like to hear. A guy with a bad haircut and severely clipped moustache would be very proud of such efforts. Heil to that idea!

Godwinning the thread ordinarily means you lose, but to Godwin with an inversion of logic is an extraordinary double fail.
The fellow you refer to had a Minister of Propaganda. They liked Faux news.

If statists had better arguments, they might not need to try so hard to silence people who disagree with them. In a way, it's good, though, because the harder they try, the more they expose their brownshirt instincts.

Another Godwinner. But wait a minute... weren't you, just a few posts ago, suggesting the NY Times should have been muzzled over its reporting of the abuses at Abu Ghraib?

What colour is that shirt you're wearing?
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 380
view profile
History
Posted: 11/27/2011 11:08:36 AM
Apparently Canadians have a higher standard of truth in news than the US does. I would venture to guess that the far right here would consider them to be Nazis as well for such a standard.

When Fox repeatedly, and knowingly lies and incites passions and violence toward over half the population, they are in criminal territory with that agenda. The right to free speech halts at inciting violence. Ask the victims of Adkissen and other Fox inspired killers.
 hoopsnhikes
Msg: 381
Posted: 11/27/2011 11:43:10 AM
Bashing Fox as fake news or satire while lauding Jon Stewart as a good source, all right within in the same post.

You can't make this stuff up.
 matchlight
Msg: 382
view profile
History
Posted: 11/27/2011 12:20:48 PM
weren't you, just a few posts ago, suggesting the NY Times should have been muzzled over its reporting of the abuses at Abu Ghraib?

Thank you for making my point. Either what I was saying went way over your head, or you're purposely mischaracterizing it. I specifically said I didn't think the Times had broken any law in doing that. It is almost exclusively *government* power that the Constitution limits. Almost nothing in it restricts the rights of private persons. A person can condemn a news outlet's action without thinking the government has any legal authority to prohibit it.

I strongly support the First Amendment--but then I'm a conservative, not a statist. Statists (many of whom, ironically, like to call themselves "liberal") don't have much respect for the Constitution in general, and they show a lot of intolerance of free speech and a free press. They want to recruit the federal government to kill off talk radio, which is mostly conservative, by applying the "fairness doctrine." They also rely a lot on bullying and personal attacks, partly because the facts seldom support their arguments, and partly because their game's not very good.

This kind of intolerance was characteristic of 20th century totalitarian governments. Russia, Italy, and Germany weren't exactly shining examples of free speech in the 1920's and 1930's.
 PassingThru44
Msg: 383
Posted: 11/27/2011 11:10:24 PM
Fox News is definitely not stupid. They know exactly what they are doing and their profit margins and they way they have shifted the debate in the US to the right is definitely real. They have pursued an agenda and pursued it effectively. They know their main mission is not to be a reliable source of news, in spite of their claims of being "fair and balanced". Their main mission is to grab eyeballs and nurture an audience that believes in small government and the elimination of government regulation, all causes dear to the heart of Rupert Murdoch. Fox News is the Republican Party equivalent of a state media organ like Pravda or Izvestia, not a legitimate news gathering organization.
 PassingThru44
Msg: 384
Posted: 11/28/2011 12:01:51 AM
I think one of my favourite recent Fox News moments must be when Megyn Kelly said the pepper spray used on the students at UC Davis was "A Food Product, Essentially". Priceless
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 385
view profile
History
Posted: 11/28/2011 12:27:11 AM

Bashing Fox as fake news or satire while lauding Jon Stewart as a good source, all right within in the same post.
You can't make this stuff up.

The big difference between Stewart and Fox Noise is the honesty factor. Stewart admits to what he is and does, while Faux pretends to be "fair and balanced" in their "news". Stewart does the mea culpa when he screws up, where Faux ignores their multiple lies when exposed. Because he is honest about it, has a sense of humor, is an equal opportunity exposer of bu11sh1t, he is the most trusted news analyst since Walter Conkite, according to a Time magazine poll.
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/cutting-edge-leadership/200907/why-jon-stewart-is-the-most-trusted-man-in-america

This is the difference. Watch the video.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/22/jon-stewart-fox-news-politifact_n_881998.html
"Fox news is like a lying dynasty," Stewart said. "They're like the New England Patriots of lying!"
 lyingcheat
Msg: 386
view profile
History
Posted: 11/28/2011 5:31:34 AM

Thank you for making my point.

You're welcome. Though I don't know why you'd want to highlight the point that you think it's OK to refer admiringly to views that conflict with your alleged 'principles'.

I specifically said I didn't think the Times had broken any law in doing that.

You went further than that. This is what you said - "Much of that reporting was anti-American cant which could have come right out of Khrushchev's USSR. Forty-six straight days of Abu Ghraib on the front page, inflaming Muslims to kill U.S. servicemen who'd had nothing to do with it. If a major newspaper had done anything even remotely as disgraceful and unpatriotic during WWII, FDR would have made his outrage clear to the editor the first day."

And -

"No one has to approve of the shabby things some soldiers did at Abu Ghraib to recognize how the enemies of this country--and their abettors at the New York Times and elsewhere--grotesquely and cleverly exaggerated the events to harm the United States. This certainly cost the lives of other servicemen--no one knows how many. The soldiers who committed the abuses were of course directly responsible for them. But those who purposely did all they could to magnify those abuses--while their country was at war--are also to blame."

This ^^^ doesn't read like an impartial defence of a free press to me. It sounds more like a 1950's marxist justification for why a state controlled press is a good idea.
 timetogo3223
Msg: 387
Posted: 11/28/2011 6:41:08 AM
fly...

Invoking Godwin's Law already? Tsk, tsk...

Edit:
Oh, wait... it has gotten to 18 pages now-- you have properly fulfilled Godwin's Law, then. Much like Judas was, you are an instrument in the fulfillment of a prophecy.

Okay, darn, you done got me. I should have compared the intolerant left to Stalin. Or perhaps to Fidel. Grandma, anyone? But if the brown shirt fits...

Much like Judas (before he repented), liberals, including ones who apparently fly, can be chock full of hubris and grub after the shiny things held out as treasure by statists or philistines, not to mention believing in false prophets appearing on nearly every media outlet, including Fox, which does put more than token opposition. That prophecy thing can work both ways, fly. Got rope?

Addendum: to familiar non-religious posters, who wince and cringe at the mention of anything "God" or "god", unless it is "God" with "damned" (per Rev. Wright) please note that my biblical reference was only a response in kind and not meant to offend sensitive and always outraged ears.
 flyguy51
Msg: 388
Posted: 11/28/2011 8:11:37 AM

I should have compared the intolerant left to Stalin. Or perhaps to Fidel.

You could have, but it would still be fallacious reasoning. And nothing says tolerance like washing the faces of the great unwashed masses with pepper spray.

But if the brown shirt fits...

See: reductio ad Hitlerum-- it's the more pathetic yet too common aspect of Godwin's Law that means specious reasoning inspires the inevitable and cliched Nazi reference.

Judas (before he repented)

It appears that you give slightly greater deference to the man who betrayed Christ than you do liberals. I would hate to wake up every day harboring the festering hate that you must live with-- much like Malkin and Coulter but not as lucrative.
 unYOUsual
Msg: 389
Posted: 11/28/2011 10:11:31 AM
new law ...accusing people of hate is an admittance of defeat thus ending the discussion.
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 390
Posted: 11/28/2011 10:23:14 AM

new law ...accusing people of hate is an admittance of defeat thus ending the discussion.

You lose
 Forereels
Msg: 391
view profile
History
Posted: 11/28/2011 8:25:58 PM

Yes, that was kind of my point. So why was it again that he is no longer syndicated by Fox?

And for the record, I already know the answer. His ratings dropped and lost Murdoch too much money. NOT the fact that he developed a messiah complex in front of a national audience, which took place over an ENTIRE YEAR. I just want to see your rationalization.

There could be many reasons he is no longer on Fox, but in my opinion “low” ratings wasn’t one of them because he had pretty high ratings before leaving.

I really don’t see what I have to rationalize, all I did was point out his show is no longer on Fox.
 timetogo3223
Msg: 392
Posted: 11/29/2011 4:53:58 AM
fly....

I should have compared the intolerant left to Stalin. Or perhaps to Fidel.

You could have, but it would still be fallacious reasoning. And nothing says tolerance like washing the faces of the great unwashed masses with pepper spray.

I disagree, Mr. Fly. So proclaimed tolerant liberals love the idea of shutting down and silencing the media with which they disagree. They will do this through intimidation and, always a favorite, litigation. Where are the threads across the vast wasteland of internet about shutting down the NYT or Politico or Huffington? Or even the Obama house organ, MSNBC? I really believe that liberal thought should be on display every day of the week in as many ways as possible, because, eventually, the truth will out and the readers, viewers, listeners tune out.

But if the brown shirt fits...

See: reductio ad Hitlerum-- it's the more pathetic yet too common aspect of Godwin's Law that means specious reasoning inspires the inevitable and cliched Nazi reference..

Sometimes cliches are cliches due to the truth. Just keep your creases sharp. BTW, it's easier to count the trillions wasted by Obama than the references to GWB as Hitler.

Judas (before he repented)

It appears that you give slightly greater deference to the man who betrayed Christ than you do liberals. I would hate to wake up every day harboring the festering hate that you must live with-- much like Malkin and Coulter but not as lucrative.

Here I would ask myself, dear God, what would Jesus do regarding the Judas problem? I point to a last minute decision made by one thief versus another, who was sharing space with Jesus on Golgotha that day. You know the story. So one thief got through the pearly gates and the other is hanging out with Ted Kennedy. I give repentant liberals all the deference in the world, but those who go to the grave, like our thief, well, let's say Judas is better company.

Also, both Malkin and Coulter are avid fans of mine. True, I'm not as rich, but I take fulfillment in a job well done -- that is, having a good laugh at flyers expense.

*Again, for the god haters, please see the previous disclaimer.
 flyguy51
Msg: 393
Posted: 11/29/2011 8:12:45 AM
I disagree, Mr. Fly.

Of course you do. I mean, it's not like you are going to read my accusation and say to yourself, "Gee, I HAVE been employing fallacious reasoning... I should turn over a new leaf and start reasoning logically and cogently!"

So proclaimed tolerant liberals love the idea of shutting down and silencing the media with which they disagree. They will do this through intimidation and, always a favorite, litigation.

Don't forget-- you were responding to my earlier post. Where in it do I advocate the shutting down of anything? As for the litigation, I was referring to a case in which Fox WON THE CASE and the plaintiff was one of their own reporters. Perhaps you are not familiar with that landmark case and don't recall what I advocated in my earlier post, but, please, try to stay on track.

Sometimes cliches are cliches due to the truth. Just keep your creases sharp. BTW, it's easier to count the trillions wasted by Obama than the references to GWB as Hitler.

Sometimes they are, but, as I pointed out, and you have yet to refute (you merely reassert), not in this case. References to Bush as Hitler? Again, mind the tracks.

both Malkin and Coulter are avid fans of mine.

Well, better that way than the other way around, I would say. I mean, even Michael Savage is not a fan of Coulter's anymore. His Jewish heritage precludes it. Speaking of that-- Godwin's Law would be much better fulfilled on Coulter. Coulter's your man!
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 394
Posted: 11/30/2011 10:25:52 AM

that is, having a good laugh at flyers expense.

I think Mr. flyguys response to you has you pegged to a tea.

I agree you should:

say to yourself, "Gee, I HAVE been employing fallacious reasoning... I should turn over a new leaf and start reasoning logically and cogently!"

Oh yes...we will remind you:

please, try to stay on track

Oh please:

and you have yet to refute

Don't ask for another one of his lameazzed opinions.
 OyVay...
Msg: 395
Posted: 11/30/2011 11:07:12 AM
Gessh! I wish you guys would make up your mind!

"call themselves "liberal") don't have much respect for the Constitution in general, and they show a lot of intolerance of free speecha dna free press. They want to recruit the federal government to kill off talk radio"

Funny, wasn't it the conservatives and republicans who wanted to gut support last summer for NPR? Oh I forgot, that might have been liberal radio, we only want to save conservative radio, I gotcha!!
 Ready4SomethingFun
Msg: 396
view profile
History
Posted: 11/30/2011 11:54:04 AM

Funny, wasn't it the conservatives and republicans who wanted to gut support last summer for NPR? Oh I forgot, that might have been liberal radio, we only want to save conservative radio, I gotcha!!

That's because NPR is tax-payer funded. If conservative talk shows were also publicly funded we'd call for the gutting of them too. See, conservative talk radio makes money and doesn't rely on taxpayers footing their bills. Libs tried privately funded talk radio, but they went broke. Remember Air America?
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 397
Posted: 11/30/2011 12:15:13 PM

That's because NPR is tax-payer funded. If conservative talk shows were also publicly funded we'd call for the gutting of them too. See, conservative talk radio makes money and doesn't rely on taxpayers footing their bills. Libs tried privately funded talk radio, but they went broke. Remember Air America?

Actually, NPR is not directly funded with taxpayer dollars...it is CPB that is funded with taxpayer dollars.
 PassingThru44
Msg: 398
Posted: 12/1/2011 9:44:48 AM
In regard to the reason for Glenn Beck's cancellation. It wasn't just about ratings. It wasn't that simple. The corporate sponsors were getting very uncomfortable with having their ads on during his show due to the disturbing and rather unhinged nature of his rantings. The companies were getting flack from viewers due to being associated with him and complained to Roger Ailes about being associated with Beck and it was after this that Ailes pulled the plug on Glenn Beck. He wasn't necessarily losing ratings, but he was costing them sponsors, which results in the same thing, lost ad revenue.
 Ready4SomethingFun
Msg: 399
view profile
History
Posted: 12/2/2011 10:20:08 AM

Actually, NPR is not directly funded with taxpayer dollars...it is CPB that is funded with taxpayer dollars.

But indirectly, it's about 40%. CPB supports it. Only around 60% is privately funded according to every source I checked.

If it were not supported in some way by taxpayer dollars there wouldn't be any outcry about defunding it. There wouldn't be any need for it.
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 400
Posted: 12/2/2011 3:05:44 PM
Absolutely wrong again....10% of NPR's funding comes from CPB

But indirectly, it's about 40%. CPB supports it. Only around 60% is privately funded according to every source I checked.

You must have missed the first spot that comes up on my google:

In 2010, NPR revenues totaled $180 million, with the bulk of revenues coming from programming fees, grants from foundations or business entities, contributions and sponsorships. According to the 2009 financial statement, about 50% of NPR revenues come from the fees it charges member stations for programming and distribution charges.Typically, NPR member stations receive funds through on-air pledge drives, corporate underwriting, state and local governments, educational institutions, and the federally funded Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB). In 2009, member stations derived 6% of their revenue from federal, state and local government funding, 10% of their revenue from CPB grants, and 14% of their revenue from universities.While NPR does not receive any direct federal funding, it does receive a small number of competitive grants from CPB and federal agencies like the Department of Education and the Department of Commerce. This funding amounts to approximately 2% of NPR’s overall revenues.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NPR
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Is Fox News Evil or Stupid? [CLOSED for further review]