Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Is Fox News Evil or Stupid? [CLOSED for further review]      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 timetogo3223
Msg: 401
Is Fox News Evil or Stupid?Page 17 of 26    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26)
So... is NPR Evil or Stupid? And what if it is? Are their commentators snooty and constipated? Can "holier than thou" attitude be tolerated by the unwashed masses?
Will prune juice help? Will not spitting into the microphone? Will humility classes? How about if they leave the NYC/DC axis and are forced to spend time in "fly over land"?

Shouldn't we all be able to watch or laugh or --here's the big one, folks-- TURN THE DIAL? Can dial turning be done without government supervision?

See the Fox report tonight.
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 402
Is Fox News Evil or Stupid?
Posted: 12/2/2011 4:01:42 PM

So... is NPR Evil or Stupid? And what if it is? Are their commentators snooty and constipated? Can "holier than thou" attitude be tolerated by the unwashed masses?
Will prune juice help? Will not spitting into the microphone? Will humility classes? How about if they leave the NYC/DC axis and are forced to spend time in "fly over land"?

Shouldn't we all be able to watch or laugh or --here's the big one, folks-- TURN THE DIAL? Can dial turning be done without government supervision?

What another assinine comment.,
 timetogo3223
Msg: 403
Posted: 12/2/2011 4:11:45 PM
bigbladd...

What another assinine comment.,

Now, now, Mr Bigblad, for reply, I repeat: Will prune juice help?
 Ready4SomethingFun
Msg: 404
view profile
History
Posted: 12/2/2011 4:11:46 PM

Absolutely wrong again....10% of NPR's funding comes from CPB

No I didn't miss the google entry you quoted, but I didn't say 40% of their funding came directly from the CPB. I said 60% is publicly funded (i.e.:those that listen to them). The other 40% comes from a diverse batch of sources, including (according to sites I checked) state and local government funding and other sources. But lots of them are taxpayer sources, wheather indirectly or not (i.e.:through grants, college funding etc etc.).
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 405
Posted: 12/2/2011 4:28:07 PM

But lots of them are taxpayer sources, wheather indirectly or not (i.e.:through grants, college funding etc etc.).

Well, your prior post implies that 40% of NPR funding is taxpayer funded...now your contention is that :

But lots of them are taxpayer sources, wheather indirectly or not (i.e.:through grants, college funding etc etc.).

Well now...college grants are a source of taxpayer funds???

Here's just one more definative break down of NPR's "public" funding....as one can painly read...the public funds way less of NPR than 40%:

Here’s the chart for NPR’s individual member stations: see that direct funding from Federal, State & Local governments made up only 5.8 percent of the stations’ revenue in FY 2008. The Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB) contributed another 10.1 percent, but even if you add those up, that’s still only about 16 percent of the stations’ funding coming directly or indirectly from government sources.
http://www.cjr.org/behind_the_news/dont_forget_the_facts_about_np.php
 Ready4SomethingFun
Msg: 406
view profile
History
Posted: 12/2/2011 8:55:54 PM
Okay, you can stop telling me what I mean. But if a college is getting fed money, but can turn around and give grants to NPR, then yeah, in a round about way it is. But I was just giving other examples of funding sources that were listing in the articles I found in reference.

But hey, since it's such a small amount, it shouldn't hurt a bit if it's cut. Right?
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 407
Posted: 12/2/2011 9:06:41 PM

Okay, you can stop telling me what I mean. But if a college is getting fed money, but can turn around and give grants to NPR, then yeah, in a round about way it is. But I was just giving other examples of funding sources that were listing in the articles I found in reference.

Well, perhaps when you said 40% of NPR is funded by public sources you meant something else....yet 40% is still a far cry from 16%...wouldn't you agree???
 lyingcheat
Msg: 408
view profile
History
Posted: 12/3/2011 9:28:40 AM
A free press is a wonderful thing. But along with 'rights' come 'responsibilities'.... what is, after all, the point of having a free press? What is the utility if the press uses it's 'freedom' to corrupt information and threaten the democratic process?

My edit -
Misinformation and the 2010 Election

Evidence of Misinformation Among Voters
The poll found strong evidence that voters were substantially misinformed on many of the issues prominent in the election campaign, including the stimulus legislation, the healthcare reform law, TARP, the state of the economy, climate change, campaign contributions by the US Chamber of Commerce and President Obama’s birthplace. In particular, voters had perceptions about the expert opinion of economists and other scientists that were quite different from actual expert opinion.
Many of the issues on which voters had significant misinformation were ones that voters said were significant in shaping their voting behavior. Respondents were asked to rate eleven different issues that were prominent in the election campaign on a 0-10 scale, with 0 meaning the issue was “not important at all” “in deciding how to vote,” and 10 meaning the issue was “extremely important.” All of the topics explored below had a mean score above 5.

Variations in Misinformation by Exposure to News Sources
Consumers of all sources of media evidenced substantial misinformation, suggesting that false or misleading information is widespread in the general information environment, just as voters say they perceive it to be. In most cases increasing exposure to news sources decreased misinformation; however, for some news sources on some issues, higher levels of exposure increased misinformation.

There were however a number of cases where greater exposure to a news source increased misinformation on a specific issue.
Those who watched Fox News almost daily were significantly more likely than those who never watched it to believe that:
-most economists estimate the stimulus caused job losses.
-most economists have estimated the health care law will worsen the deficit.
-the economy is getting worse.
-most scientists do not agree that climate change is occurring.
-the stimulus legislation did not include any tax cuts.
-their own income taxes have gone up.
-the auto bailout only occurred under Obama.
-when TARP came up for a vote most Republicans opposed it.
-and that it is not clear that Obama was born in the United States.

A study of misinformation raises the somewhat delicate question of what is true. When dealing with topics that have been highly politicized, it is common to default to the position that all perceptions are relative, and treatment of any position as more or less true is itself inherently political.

We believe that such a position is at odds with what is necessary for well-functioning democracy.

http://www.worldpublicopinion.org/pipa/pdf/dec10/Misinformation_Dec10_rpt.pdf

If the 'information' is corrupt it isn't useful, it's just propaganda intended to create an effect.

Almost shocking was the extent to which Fox News viewers were mistaken. Those who relied on the conservative network for news, PIPA reported, were “three times more likely than the next nearest network to hold all three misperceptions. In the audience for NPR/PBS, however, there was an overwhelming majority who did not have any of the three misperceptions, and hardly any had all three.”

Looking at the misperceptions one at a time, people were asked, for example, if the U.S. had discovered the alleged stockpiles of WMD in Iraq since the war began. Just 11% of those who relied on newspapers as their “primary news source” incorrectly believed that U.S. forces had made such a discovery. Only slightly more — 17% — of those who relied on NPR and PBS were wrong. Yet 33% of Fox News viewers were wrong, far ahead of those who relied on any other outlet.

Likewise, when people were asked if the U.S. had “clear evidence” that Saddam Hussein was “working closely with al Queda,” similar results were found. Only 16% of NPR and PBS listeners/viewers believed that the U.S. has such evidence, while 67% of Fox News viewers were under that mistaken impression.
http://www.thecarpetbaggerreport.com/archives/714.html

It's ludicrous to argue, as some are in this thread, that they have a guaranteed right to be misinformed.

Seven Surveys Make A Trend For Fox And Viewers.
The release yesterday of yet another survey indicating the more you watch Fox News the less they know, has once again shone a spotlight on one of the unique features that defines Rupert Murdoch's cable news outlet - it is very, very good at misinforming people. And it's very bad at reporting the news.
http://mediamatters.org/blog/201111220020?frontpage
 flyguy51
Msg: 409
Posted: 12/3/2011 9:58:27 AM
It's ludicrous to argue, as some are in this thread, that they have a guaranteed right to be misinformed.

I don't know if "some" would put it in those exact terms, but it is a valid argument under free speech protections in the US. There is no legal mandate prohibiting media outlets from lying, misrepresenting, and distorting in their programs. Here's a conclusion from the case against Fox I referred to earlier:

In its six-page written decision, the Court of Appeals held that the Federal Communications Commission position against news distortion is only a "policy," not a promulgated law, rule, or regulation. Fox aired a report after the ruling saying it was "totally vindicated" by the verdict.

http://www.ceasespin.org/ceasespin_blog/ceasespin_blogger_files/fox_news_gets_okay_to_misinform_public.html

As I also pointed out earlier, it behooves the viewer to watch any news report with a skeptical and critical eye.

And to play "devil's advocate" here-- you cannot really fault Fox News for what its viewers take away from what's being said; you can only hold them to account for what they actually say. I would say that Fox News viewers have a predisposition towards believing these things that Fox allegedly misinformed them about-- in other words, they already believe it, and Fox News isn't going to make efforts to change those flawed, preexisting beliefs.
 matchlight
Msg: 410
view profile
History
Posted: 12/3/2011 11:38:37 AM
There's a good reason that is only a policy of the FCC, and not a rule. Federal administrative rules must be based directly on the federal laws they implement. And those laws must in turn be grounded in the Constitution.

Imagine Congress passing a law that gave some group of unelected bureaucrats authority to act as state news censors, deciding whether each statement broadcast was opinion or fact, or what proportion of each, and the accuracy of everything they deemed to be a factual claim. That kind of thing belonged in the USSR, or in Mussolini's Italy, or in China today. But it has never belonged in the United States, even in wartime.

To be fair--and isn't this all about fairness?--I guess these censors would also have to decide if everything that appeared on the front page of the New York Times was purely fact, or was tinged with opinion. A lot of people wondered if that forty-six straight days of front-page coverage of the Abu Ghraib abuses wasn't something more than just reporting the facts. Some of us even thought it amounted to inciting this country's enemies, during a war, to kill our servicemen, and that it was meant to do just that.
 lyingcheat
Msg: 411
view profile
History
Posted: 12/3/2011 4:26:38 PM

There's a good reason that is only a policy of the FCC, and not a rule. Federal administrative rules must be based directly on the federal laws they implement. And those laws must in turn be grounded in the Constitution.

Imagine Congress passing a law that gave some group of unelected bureaucrats authority to act as state news censors, deciding whether each statement broadcast was opinion or fact, or what proportion of each, and the accuracy of everything they deemed to be a factual claim. That kind of thing belonged in the USSR, or in Mussolini's Italy, or in China today. But it has never belonged in the United States, even in wartime.

To be fair--and isn't this all about fairness?--I guess these censors would also have to decide if everything that appeared on the front page of the New York Times was purely fact, or was tinged with opinion. A lot of people wondered if that forty-six straight days of front-page coverage of the Abu Ghraib abuses wasn't something more than just reporting the facts. Some of us even thought it amounted to inciting this country's enemies, during a war, to kill our servicemen, and that it was meant to do just that.

Straw man ^^^ wearing a hat made of the usual agenda.

You completely overlook that using a bloated group of corrupt government bureaucrats is not the only way an honest and reliable free press might be achieved.

What about a voluntary code of conduct? What about a Press Council funded by the industry themselves to which any citizen may make a complaint?
What about a Broadcasting Regulation Authority (if you could get over your fear of the government) similar to any/all of the government authorities that regulate standards in many other industries (miraculously without causing an instant slide into communism).

The media is already not 'free' to say whatever it likes anyway. Any citizen can bring an action regarding defamation or slander, and there is an 'expectation' that certain kinds of reporting, particularly in the realm of politics, should be 'balanced' - ie; both sides of the argument should be presented.

These ^^^ aren't aren't radical or dangerous ideas. They're common sense.
Well... common sense presuming one agrees that access to accurate information is important in a democracy, of course, and presuming one agrees that informed choice is the basis of responsible and meaningful participation in the democratic process.

Anything less is merely a free market version of the North Korean system, ie; popular lies and self aggrandising distortions designed to produce a certain response without regard for truth.

A new study based on a series of seven US polls conducted from January through September of this year reveals that before and after the Iraq war, a majority of Americans have had significant misperceptions and these are highly related to support for the war in Iraq.

An in-depth analysis of a series of polls conducted June through September found 48% incorrectly believed that evidence of links between Iraq and al Qaeda have been found, 22% that weapons of mass destruction have been found in Iraq, and 25% that world public opinion favored the US going to war with Iraq. Overall 60% had at least one of these three misperceptions.
Such misperceptions are highly related to support for the war.
http://www.worldpublicopinion.org/pipa/articles/international_security_bt/102.php
http://www.worldpublicopinion.org/pipa/pdf/oct03/IraqMedia_Oct03_rpt.pdf

The ability of anyone to reach a worthwhile conclusion about whether, or not, to buy this or that car, to have or not have this or that surgical procedure, to sign up for this or that country club, let alone deciding whether or not invading Iraq was an idea that had merit is dependent on the quality of information available to make the decision.

Being presented with inaccurate information in the first few of these ^^^ examples (car, surgery, country club) undermines our ability to make an informed choice and robs us to some small degree of our right to independent self determination. The last example (invading Iraq) not only infringes on our rights, it infringes on theirs as well.

It's reckless in the extreme to take such weighty decisions based on proven lies, and it's obvious that, by extension, to be induced to vote for this or that party based on similar machinations is a corruption of the democratic process.

FOX vs. CNN/MSNBC: Here's another way to look at the misinformation: In our poll, 72% of self-identified FOX News viewers believe the health-care plan will give coverage to illegal immigrants, 79% of them say it will lead to a government takeover, 69% think that it will use taxpayer dollars to pay for abortions, and 75% believe that it will allow the government to make decisions about when to stop providing care for the elderly. But it would be incorrect to suggest that this is ONLY coming from conservative viewers who tune in to FOX. In fact, 41% of CNN/MSNBC viewers believe the misinformation about illegal immigrants, 39% believe the government takeover stuff, 40% believe the abortion misperception, and 30% believe the stuff about pulling the plug on grandma. What's more, a good chunk of folks who get their news from broadcast TV (NBC, ABC, CBS) believe these things, too. This is about credible messengers using the media to get some of this misinformation out there, not as much about the filter itself. These numbers should worry Democratic operatives, as well as the news media that have been covering this story.
http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2009/08/19/4431138-first-thoughts-obamas-good-bad-news

Is that really what the constitution thing is designed to protect?

Guaranteed rights to be generally misinformed by your media along with the guaranteed right to not have a universally available and affordable health care system?

Propaganda and poverty? Just like another 'democratic republic' that springs to mind hey?

http://articles.cnn.com/2009-06-05/health/bankruptcy.medical.bills_1_medical-bills-bankruptcies-health-insurance?_s=PM:HEALTH
http://www.reuters.com/article/2009/06/04/us-healthcare-bankruptcy-idUSTRE5530Y020090604
http://www.pnhp.org/new_bankruptcy_study/Bankruptcy-2009.pdf
http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/content/jun2009/db2009064_666715.htm

Welcome to the Official Webpage of The Democratic People's Republic of Korea
http://www.korea-dpr.com/
 PassingThru44
Msg: 412
Posted: 12/10/2011 11:57:39 AM
Breaking News: Fox News says The Muppets are waging class warfare. Can you smell the stupid?
 arwen52
Msg: 413
view profile
History
Posted: 12/10/2011 3:04:37 PM
I still vote for evil, and its viewers are stupid.
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 414
Posted: 12/14/2011 5:36:10 AM
Today In Dishonest Fox News Charts

December 12, 2011 11:53 am ET by Zachary Pleat

It looks like Fox is trying to mislead its viewers on the unemployment rate. Again.

On Monday, Fox News displayed a chart illustrating changes to the unemployment rate during 2011:

http://cloudfront.mediamatters.org/static/images/item/fnc-an-20111212-markedchart.jpg

Note how the 8.6 percent unemployment rate in November looks higher than March's 8.8 percent rate, and about the same as the 9 percent unemployment rate in October.
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 415
view profile
History
Posted: 12/14/2011 5:52:27 AM
Every news network has there own agenda MSNBC is to the left as Fox News is to the right. This is why i don't pay attention to news networks all that much, because there is always a hidden agenda in all of them. No one does just news anymore everyone has to be a commentator/news anchor now of days. I don't care what some anchor's personal opinionis, just report the news, but news anchors now of days can't seem to do that without having to put their 2 cents into what they are reporting.
 Bladesmith81801
Msg: 416
Posted: 12/14/2011 6:59:48 AM
Sorry Steel but thats bullshit and you know it.

I defy you to put a list of Fox lies and MSNBC lies side by side (Or in the short version, see which one has more sites dedicated to pointing out its lies) and see which is longer.

By ANY reasonable definition, FOX is pure propaganda in the purest and msot despicable form.
 unYOUsual
Msg: 417
Posted: 12/14/2011 7:22:36 AM
Probably be hard to make a comparative list like that because MSNBC simply chooses not to report on things that don't go along with their Liberal agenda...Lying by omission seems to be the strategy of the main stream media and liberal outlets like MSNBC....funny to see MSNBC and other alleged news outlets using the Whitehouse as source to assert the veracity of economic reports, legislation and what not...much like many posters on here who cite whitehouse.gov to try to add merit to whatever inane point they are trying to make...
 matchlight
Msg: 418
view profile
History
Posted: 12/14/2011 10:37:20 AM

By ANY reasonable definition, FOX is pure propaganda in the purest and msot despicable form.

Assume most people agreed with you. What of it? What do you want to do about it?

I hope you're not suggesting that the federal government should dictate which political views can be stated publicly, and which cannot. If you are, I'd like to hear what authority it has to do that.
 Bishopboat
Msg: 419
Posted: 12/14/2011 11:24:31 AM
ABC, NBC, BBC, FOX, CNN... All equally as evil.
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 420
Posted: 12/14/2011 1:15:58 PM

I hope you're not suggesting that the federal government should dictate which political views can be stated publicly, and which cannot. If you are, I'd like to hear what authority it has to do that.

No one is saying such, just that maybe news stations be held to some type of standard although I would guess that would undo all the work that Roger Ailes did while advising Regan and Bush.

Getting rid of the fairness doctrine and those other pesky regulations helped them do just that.

Because having a silly rule about having to tell the truth was really getting in the way.
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 421
view profile
History
Posted: 12/14/2011 1:26:47 PM

I defy you to put a list of Fox lies and MSNBC lies side by side (Or in the short version, see which one has more sites dedicated to pointing out its lies) and see which is longer.

How is what i said BS when you just said it yourself comparing the list of lies on both networks? LOL thanks for proving my point.
 lyingcheat
Msg: 422
view profile
History
Posted: 12/14/2011 6:00:38 PM

Every news network has there own agenda MSNBC is to the left as Fox News is to the right.

Probably be hard to make a comparative list like that because MSNBC simply chooses not to report on things that don't go along with their Liberal agenda...Lying by omission seems to be the strategy of the main stream media and liberal outlets like MSNBC...

ABC, NBC, BBC, FOX, CNN... All equally as evil.

These quotes ^^^ from three different posters all overlook, for some reason, the results of several surveys regarding the quality of various media outlets in the US. The links have already been posted in this thread, but here they are again.

Seven Surveys Make A Trend For Fox And Viewers.
The release yesterday of yet another survey indicating the more you watch Fox News the less they know, has once again shone a spotlight on one of the unique features that defines Rupert Murdoch's cable news outlet - it is very, very good at misinforming people. And it's very bad at reporting the news.

See also -
http://publicmind.fdu.edu/2011/knowless/
http://mediamatters.org/blog/201111210012
http://slatest.slate.com/posts/2011/11/21/fairleigh_dickinson_publicmind_poll_shows_fox_news_viewers_less_informed_on_major_news_stories.html
http://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrapoza/2011/11/21/fox-news-viewers-uninformed-npr-listeners-not-poll-suggests/
http://mediamatters.org/research/201106220022#5
http://www.worldpublicopinion.org/pipa/articles/international_security_bt/102.php
http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2009/08/19/4431138-first-thoughts-obamas-good-bad-news
http://woods.stanford.edu/docs/surveys/Global-Warming-Fox-News.pdf
http://www.comm.ohio-state.edu/kgarrett/MediaMosqueRumors.pdf
http://mediamatters.org/blog/201012170010
http://www.worldpublicopinion.org/pipa/pdf/dec10/Misinformation_Dec10_rpt.pdf
http://www.thecarpetbaggerreport.com/archives/714.html
http://www.kff.org/healthreform/upload/8148.pdf
http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2009/08/19/56872/fox-news-viewers-misinformed/

Even more telling than simply ignoring all this ^^^ though, is the complacency regarding the implications for democracy of having a propaganda machine posing as a 'news' service.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 423
view profile
History
Posted: 12/14/2011 8:03:57 PM
yep. this is why, if I had any influence (which I don't), I would like to have my cable provider reassign Fox news from the 100's (where they put cable news networks) to the 150's section, where all of the OTHER "infomercial" stations are.

I can't tell what CNN and the sister HNN are up to anymore, they seem to have decided to gradually replace all regular news programming, with specials and talk shows. It's sort of like what happened to MTV. They started out showing videos associated with music, and eventually evolved into a whole group of channels devoted to showing reruns of 1970's and 1980's kids shows, dating/reality shows, and other nonsense.

It's as harder to find out what's in the news now than ever before, because ALL of the stations, including Fox, seem to have decided that the real money is in commentary. But Fox still shines above all the others, as the one who is consciously and blatantly devoted to false, and slanted reporting in support of their favored small group of self-proclaimed conservatives.
 matchlight
Msg: 424
view profile
History
Posted: 12/14/2011 11:19:29 PM

No one is saying such, just that maybe news stations be held to some type of standard . . . Because having a silly rule about having to tell the truth was really getting in the way.

That is exactly what you are saying, however you try to mince words. Who is going to define that standard, of "some type," and who is going to hold news outlets to it? The idea that government has a right define "the truth" on any subject is antidemocratic garbage that has no place in a free country. We still have a First Amendment, and news outlets--as they always have been able to do--can report events and state opinions however they damn well please.

The fairness doctrine was cooked up before there was an internet. It was always a dumb idea, and now it's a ridiculous one. It's disingenuous at best for self-styled liberals to whine that their views aren't getting enough air play. The mainstream news media have treated this president with kid gloves from the start, covering up his habitual lying and his radical background. On the whole, they are biased in favor of Obama and his statist policies.

The problem for statists isn't that their ideas aren't getting enough exposure. The problem is simply that those ideas have become less persuasive. This isn't the 1930's. More and more Americans are seeing how 80 years of one failed "liberal" social experiment after another has now brought their country to the edge of an abyss.

The people pushing warmed-over New Deal ideas know they're not selling well, so they're trying to get an even more unfair advantage than they already have. And to cover what they're doing, they falsely blame conservatives for doing it.
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 425
view profile
History
Posted: 12/15/2011 1:32:59 AM
Yes, codified lying is a complicated subject. While Fox Noise maintains it has a constitutional right to lie repeatedly, daily, and pretend it is a news outlet while editorializing every aspect of it's "news" coverage, others contend that, like Canada did, there should be a standard of truth applied when using public airways in the context of presenting news to the public.

It's not the "ideas" vs. information that are in contention, but rather truth vs. lies. Editorializing is expected to have it's special relationship with truthiness, however when presenting facts and news, ie. the 935 lies that led to the Iraq attack, the long list of Fox News lies, etc. there needs to be a standard to differenciate between a news source and a propaganda machine, between actual news, and satire or convenient lies. Other civilized nations acknowledge this. The Faux News Nation however, worships the right to lie.

http://www.relfe.com/media_can_legally_lie.html
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Is Fox News Evil or Stupid? [CLOSED for further review]