Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Is Fox News Evil or Stupid? [CLOSED for further review]      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 476
view profile
History
Is Fox News Evil or Stupid?Page 20 of 26    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26)
Our FCC manages the public airways/communications with laws that penalize wardrobe malfunctions, f-bombs, and yes, lying at the public using the public commons of the airways. While some activist right wing judges have narrowed their interpretation of lies, as do many here, there are still regulations on the books that penalize such lies. Just as yelling fire in a crowded theatre is an actionable offense, the incitement to violence promoted by fox noise lies should also be penalized to the point where they can no longer afford to keep lying. When the Fox business manufactures the McVeighs, Paplawskis, Adkissons and Von Brauns that murder innocent people, they need to be held accountable.
The borderline postal types here, inspired by Fox, are a testament to the hate manufacturing machinery that Fox uses to keep their following and ratings.

At least when Stewart commits an error, aka lie, he mans up and corrects it.
http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tue-june-21-2011/fox-news-false-statements

FCC and lies..
http://money.cnn.com/2011/11/29/technology/fcc_att_t-mobile/index.htm
But Fox and Matchlight seem to argue that lying on the public airways is a constitutional right.
http://www.legaladviceu.com/bias-is-one-thing-lies-are-constitutional-right-claims-fox
But occasionally, the FCC does a little wrist slap.
http://blogs.citypages.com/blotter/2011/03/fox_9_fined_by_fcc_vnr_fake_news.php
 bucsgirl
Msg: 477
view profile
History
Is Fox News Evil or Stupid?
Posted: 12/17/2011 5:32:34 AM
They're a media business, period. Apparently successful, as they're still on the air, and media is a tough business, very competitive. It takes big $$$, so don't fool yourselves that it's the $$$ that's the bottom line.

If they couldn't find advertisers, they'd make BIG changes and quick!
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 478
Posted: 12/17/2011 6:57:48 AM
Actually the business model for Fox News (and many other cable networks) isn't based on advertising. They get a fee from the cable providers for every home that gets the service. The ads are gravy. If they depended on advertising they wouldn't stay in business: it's not that they don't get viewers, it's that not many businesses want to reach old people. So they sell most of their time at deeply discounted rates. Jon Stewart gets the same number of viewers as Bill O'Rielly; is only on for half an hour instead of 2 hours; generates several times as much advertising revenue. Jon reaches young people; Bill reaches old people.
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 479
Posted: 12/17/2011 7:08:21 AM
Assume Fox News regularly broadcasts statements which could be proven false as a matter of fact. Beyond a reasonable doubt.

Why assume, all of the allegations in this thread are just a small sample of the lies and all of them have and been proved beyond a reasonable doubt.

Then what? All I've heard is some vague maundering to the general effect that someone should do something. What, exactly? With all that intellectual firepower and moral superiority leftists are always telling us heartless, inbred, gun-totin' conservative yahoos they have, where are all their proposals for making those neocon fascist haters at Fox do what what's right and true?

Simple, reinstate the The Fairness Doctrine.

Has any of you thought of something as simple as re-education camps, where these McCarthyites could be detained until they'd learned correct, government-approved thoughts? We've already heard that the government can now detain anyone it wants. And if that stupid powdered-wig-era constitution the teabaggers are always bowing to is still in the way, just have The Anointed One do an end run around it. No one's ever been better at it.

I am not really sure if I follow you, is there anyway you could put all that rant up on a chalk board so it would be much easier to understand what your point is?

And how about those political ads they're going to be broadcasting? You can't just let those Repugnican liars (excuse the redundancy) spout whatever they please. Shouldn't we have some federal uber-diktatariat to decide which of a candidate's claims are true and which are not? And maybe another bureau to decide 'tweeners--claims the first one has classified as partly a matter of fact, and partly a matter of opinion? If the president has power to appoint all those czars on his own, surely he could create a couple "truth bureaus" like this. Ayers, Moore, Fonda, Maher, Olbermann--all sorts of great folks could be found to serve on them.

Sure sounds like a good idea, why not clean it all up.

Please understand that I'm just throwing out a couple suggestions, which I think are eminently reasonable, to try to get the creative juices flowing. As it were. I'm sure someone can think of much stronger measures to deal with this Faux News, this intolerable obstacle to an informed public. And pick off these liars running for president, too. If you can't Cain 'em, cut off their lying ads. No one should let all that constitutional baloney about "freedom of the press" or "freedom of speech" stifle their creative urges. Whatever all of you just *know* is good and right, in your hearts, well, that's how it should be

That is true, because when someone brings up the constitution with respect to allowing people to hide behind it so they can lie and mislead you know they have something to hide.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 480
Posted: 12/17/2011 7:36:13 AM

Simple, reinstate the The Fairness Doctrine.

The Fairness Doctrine wouldn't apply. Fox is a cable network, so doesn't use the public airwaves.
 hoopsnhikes
Msg: 481
Posted: 12/17/2011 8:22:21 AM
So now Fox News, launched in October of 1996, is responsible and needs to be held accountable for Timothy McVeigh's actions, which occurred in April of 1995.

OK.

The borderline postal types here, inspired by Fox, are a testament to the hate manufacturing machinery that Fox uses to keep their following and ratings.

If this thread is any indicator, I'd say that 99% of any hate "manufactured" by Fox is hatred against itself.

I'm not sure I've seen any "borderline postal types" on here, but I have seen plenty of the hate that you speak of, though it certainly isn't all coming from orders from Fox News. For example, all the hate for anything Christian or anyone with the letter "R" after their name comes to mind.
 Bladesmith81801
Msg: 482
Posted: 12/17/2011 8:28:23 AM
^^^

And all that disdain is COMPLETELY unearned, in your opinion?
 hoopsnhikes
Msg: 483
Posted: 12/17/2011 8:39:38 AM

And all that disdain is COMPLETELY unearned, in your opinion?

Well of course...it's all "earned" and justified when it's directed towards the "other side". But any of it towards "YOUR" side is due solely to evil Fox News brainwashing people.

Aren't you the one that keeps accusing others of being partisan hacks?

:laugh:

Agreed.
 matchlight
Msg: 484
view profile
History
Posted: 12/17/2011 10:00:46 AM
Quite a few people, including at least one former justice I heard, sense hostility toward the First Amendment these days. I sense it too. It's a choice irony that the lion's share of it is being shown by people who call themselves "liberals." They don't seem to like the First Amendment any better than they like the Second. And now they show it again by howling for the federal government to punish a news outlet for expressing views they don't like.

I notice Mr. Obama hasn't taken up their cause. I wish very much he would. But he spent more time studying his Alinsky than most hate-Fox leftists have. He knows how to disguise his antidemocratic tendencies. Anyway, he's soon going to be far too busy covering his Attorney General's backside--and maybe his own--to do much else.
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 485
view profile
History
Posted: 12/18/2011 7:07:14 AM
I can appreciate that a Fox News viewer would have a hard time differenciating between actual news, and editorial shows, and lies and propaganda. They all meld so seamlessly in Foxland. To the point, where they believe in the opposite of what happens in the real world...ie who is really attacking the first amendment these days.

2/3rds of states this year have proposed, via conservative Koch funded or indoctrinated politicians, to restrict or place obstacles for voting rights for the young, elderly and minorities. This concerted disenfranchisment of first amendment voting rights is also being done at the same time the same operatives are working to tear down protections of voting rights from readily manipulated, conservative owned voting machines.
http://motherjones.com/politics/2011/12/war-voting-comes-washington

While hate speech is seen as a constitutional right by the far right here, more civilized nations of the world prosecute people who incite violence against their political opponents, other races, and religions. Inciting violence and terrorism, Beck is indicative of the Fox viewers worship of misinformation and a diet of hate.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/jan/30/frances-fox-piven-glenn-beck
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 486
view profile
History
Posted: 12/18/2011 7:23:56 AM
lyingcheat, i know you can't be that navie about this. i mean come on if you can't see the hidden agenda then i can't help you here. like i said all of these polls were directed towards FNC for an underlining reason and and every link that you provided me all points to the same study conducted at the University of Maryland.

But here is something you can chew on...

PolitiFact corrects Jon Stewart

During his interview with Chris Wallace on “Fox News Sunday, “ Jon Stewart alleged that Fox News viewers were “the most consistently misinformed media viewers.”

PolitiFact looked into the statement and has rated it “False.”

It’s true that there have been a handful of studies in the last few years that have been used by Fox’s critics to argue this point, but not all the studies placed Fox last, and in some cases, viewers of Fox’s “The O’Reilly Factor” ended up being among the better informed groups of viewers.

PolitiFact’s takeaway:

The way Stewart phrased the comment, it’s not enough to show a sliver of evidence that Fox News’ audience is ill-informed. The evidence needs to support the view that the data shows they are "consistently" misinformed -- a term he used not once but three times. It’s simply not true that "every poll" shows that result. So we rate his claim False.

http://forums.plentyoffish.com/addpost.aspx?PostID=14878702&x=33&y=11

Cheat, I think we should thank Steel for showing us what the perfect Fox news voter looks like.

And how much mental damage they can do to the unprotected brain.

So what is your excuse then? LOL

Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 487
Posted: 12/18/2011 7:49:19 AM
But here is something you can chew on...

...and you know what happened after that:

On the June 21, 2011, edition of The Daily Show, Jon Stewart accepted our False verdict and apologized, saying, "I defer to (PolitiFact's) judgment and apologize for my mistake. To not do so would be irresponsible."

Although even PolitiFact does concluded that:

...The way Stewart phrased the comment, it’s not enough to show a sliver of evidence that Fox News’ audience is ill-informed. The evidence needs to support the view that the data shows they are "consistently" misinformed -- a term he used not once but three times. It’s simply not true that "every poll" shows that result. So we rate his claim False...

Because there are polls that do show that Fox viewers are less informed, but not All polls show this, thus the judgement of false was given.

So he was judged not but that Fox news are less informed, but by saying "all" polls show this.

Some more background on subject:

Jon Stewart 1, Politifact 0: Fox News Viewers Are The Most Misinformed

http://www.desmogblog.com/jon-stewart-1-politifact-0-fox-news-viewers-are-most-misinformed
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 488
view profile
History
Posted: 12/18/2011 8:26:45 AM
It all boils down to who you watch and what you read. During the breakdown. Some shows are more misleading with a biased agenda then others. Pew Research Center coducted a poll on the most and least misleading news outlets. Chris Mathews MSNBC's Hardball scored the lowest with a score of 21 as being the most misleading show for viewers while the O'Reilly factor was scored amongest the highest at 29 for being the most informed news outlet for viewers.
 Bladesmith81801
Msg: 489
Posted: 12/18/2011 9:20:22 AM
Steele, you can continue to spin it all you like, but the basic fact remains. Fox "News" lies to it's viewers, and does so as a matter of POLICY. When I see CNN or MSNBC makes a mistake, they issue a retraction and correction. RARELY do you see FOX do this. When a company that claims it's a news company makes it a point in court to claim they have a legal right to lie to people, well, that kinda says it all.

When a talking head on one of their programs spouts complete and total nonsense in the morning, and by noon, their "News" people are quoting said nonsense with phrases such as, "People are saying", then they are engaging in duplicitous behavior. And you, as a reasonably intelligent human being, should SEE this and condemn it.

And Fox does this every day. As policy. Roger Ailes and Rupert Murdoch have been VERY open about what their agenda is, it's no secret.

There IS no equivalency here. FOX is pure propaganda for the Right wing, feeding them raw meat and lies to further their agenda.

At WORST, Stewart was guilty of generalizing. Nowhere near the level of Fox.
 matchlight
Msg: 490
view profile
History
Posted: 12/18/2011 9:45:53 AM
This concerted disenfranchisment of first amendment voting rights

In my copy of the Constitution, there's nothing at all in the First Amendment about the right to vote.

While hate speech is seen as a constitutional right by the far right here

That's even better than your remark about First Amendment voting rights. Without a clear, specific definition of what you consider "hate speech," it's meaningless to ask whether the First Amendment protects it.

more civilized nations of the world prosecute people who incite violence against their political opponents, other races, and religions. Inciting violence and terrorism

It's interesting that you consider nations whose laws restrict freedom of speech more than ours do "more civilized." I guess the ones where almost anything you say can get you locked up or tortured or executed must be the most civilized of all.

You want to define "inciting violence and terrorism" so broadly that it covers just about any opinions you don't agree with. Then you can shut them up by claiming they're breaking the law. I understand, though, why people who have trouble persuading anyone with their ideas want to eliminate the competition.

Anyone in this country is free to hate anyone they please, as much as they please, just because of that person's race, religion, political views, favorite sports team, or anything else. And with some well-established exceptions--e.g. defamation, false advertising, incitement to *imminent* violence, obscenity--no law can stop anyone from saying or writing those things as much as they please, just because most people think they're wrong or outrageous. That's exactly as it should be.
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 491
view profile
History
Posted: 12/18/2011 10:23:27 AM
Blade, It's not spin, the only spin here is that statement about the misinformation that pollitifact has already shown that to be overexaggerated given the fact that there are shows on FNC like O'Reilly that rank amongest the highest factual informational programs on cable news compared to shows on MSNBC like Hardball which ranked the lowest out of any informational cable program on any news or media outlet for that matter. Are going to deny the PEW Research findings on that too?

Bull crap blade, quit trying to play the favorite card. Show me every single mistake MSNBC has made that they have corrected in the course of their entire broadcast history. If you are going to say that then you better provide proof to back that up on every mistake they made that they have corrected.

Yet you want to completely ignore the spouting off nonesense that goes on over at MSNBC. Where are you to point out how greatly misinformed viewers are that watch Hardball over on MSNBC? Nowhere to be found. Favoritism at its finest. At least i can admit Glen Beck was greatly misinforming his viewers on a lot of things by overexerting stuff on his program, that turned a lot of conservative viewers off, to the point where he lost viewership that lead to the demise of his show.

Gee and so has MSNBC. For years MSNBC has been widely known as liberal in it's agenda of news and commentary.

Yet and MSNBC isn't influencing the attitude of people towards their position in their news and commentary regarding liberals? LOL that's hilarious.

Yeah and MSNBC is just soo much better. I guess it is if you are liberal so of course FNC is the evil one to you, which is just another example of how all cable news networks have agenda's behind them. MSNBC is to the left as FNC is to the right.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 492
Posted: 12/18/2011 10:52:04 AM
I went to the Pew Centre's website. It could be that their search function isn't very good, but I couldn't find the ratings you were talking about - I entered every search term I could think of that might get me there, but I struck out.

Could you post a link?
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 493
view profile
History
Posted: 12/18/2011 10:58:17 AM
1:06 John Stewart shows in the video the list of the research done by Pew Research ranking the highest to the lowest informal shows and media outlets. As you can see the most least informal cable news shows and media outlets are ranked at the bottom. Glenn Beck (no longer on FNC scored a 23) and Hardball With Chris Mathews scored a 21 dead last.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tue-june-21-2011/fox-news-false-statements?xrs=share_copy
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 494
Posted: 12/18/2011 11:05:53 AM
Darn. Thanks, but that doesn't help me. I'm in Canada, so I can't watch Daily Show clips without modifying my headers, and I lost the header setting I need.

Actually the reason I wanted to look at it was because I was curious about the methodology, so that wouldn't have helped much anyway. I wanted to know if the ratings of 21 and 29 were out of 100; how they judged the misinformation (was it guests on the shows who were lying? Chris Matthews gets a lot of politicians and they tend to lie); just in general what those ratings meant.

I wanted to know where Christiane Amanpour rated too.
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 495
view profile
History
Posted: 12/18/2011 11:12:58 AM
I think it's more based on the commentary and writing aspect of each cable news and media outlet and what people take from the commentators and writers themselves that do the report and write the articles.

try doing this..

http://www.newipnow.com/

This mask your real ip address that's blocking you from viewing this site since you live in Canada and masking it with a altered one coming from the U.S. It will make it seem like your ip address from the server proxy is actually coming from the U.S. instead and may allow you to view it then. Just copy the link choose the ip you want to be mask by and that's it. I have to do this some times when i want to watch the penguins play when they are playing in Canada when i can't watch the game on CBC online since i live in the U.S. and have to mask my U.S. ip as a Canadian IP using a proxy like this one.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tue-june-21-2011/fox-news-false-statements?xrs=share_copy

HalftimeDad
Msg: 496
Posted: 12/18/2011 11:27:17 AM
Thank you, but masking IP's and going through proxy servers is generally too painful, and, like I said, I was hoping for more than The Daily Show anyway.

So I started doing a google search. I did come across something interesting while looking:

PolitiFact admitted Tuesday that their “false” rating of Stewart’s comment received “swift and virtually unanimous” criticism.

“The striking thing about the comments we received — almost 100 e-mails plus countless tweets and Facebook postings during the first 24 hours — is how quickly readers zeroed in on a distinction our piece did not draw,” Louis Jacobson of PolitiFact said. “They said we erred by failing to distinguish between a viewer being ‘misinformed’ and a viewer beinig ‘uninformed’ or ‘ill-informed.’”

Readers noted that PolitiFact examined whether Fox News’ viewers were uninformed – meaning they have an absence of information, but Stewart claimed Fox News’ viewers were misinformed – meaning they have factually incorrect information.

“To give you a simple, though slightly extreme, example, an ill-informed person wouldn’t be able to name the president, but a misinformed person would think he was a Kenyan,” one reader explained.

Two studies – the “Misperceptions, The Media and The Iraq War” study (PDF) and the “Misinformation and the 2010 Election” study (PDF) – did in fact find that Fox News viewers were the most misinformed media consumers, as PolitiFact noted.

Politifact corrected their criticism of Jon Stewart. Fox News viewers are "the most misinformed media consumers, as PolitiFact noted".
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 497
view profile
History
Posted: 12/18/2011 11:37:01 AM
The thing that politifact corrected was misquoting Stewert by saying "uninformed" instead of "misinformed", but the PEW Research also shows that people that watch shows on FNC like O'Reilly are amongest the highest informed as well. the Daily Show and Colbert Report are classified fake comedy news so i didn't expect them to get high marks because they don't portray themselves to be serious, but it's pretty sad that a show like Hardball with Chris Mathews ranks worse than fake news in information reliability. That's pretty bad...

Watch this video it will tell you how and who was beind this enitre study and why it was misleading.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8KHOgyYyHQ
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 498
Posted: 12/18/2011 11:50:00 AM
I don't want to get too wonkish here - there's not much fun arguing about Angels and heads of pins - but I did watch your link until I couldn't anymore.

He's making ridiculous arguments. He's questioning multiplier effect - that's just crazy. If you start a mill that employs 1000 people, those people buy food and houses and spend money. It's Eonomics 100. That's as far as I could get. Sorry, but life's too short to listen to bs for 20 minutes.
 Forereels
Msg: 499
view profile
History
Posted: 12/18/2011 11:57:08 AM

Jon Stewart gets the same number of viewers as Bill O'Rielly

Mr Stewart's show averaged 2.3million viewers, while most of the Fox News prime time and day time line up averaged only 1.85million viewers.

Mr O'Reilly recorded 2.8million total viewers, compared to The Daily Show's 2.3million.

http://articles.businessinsider.com/2011-06-07/entertainment/30020126_1_cable-tv-show-fox-news-prime-time
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 500
Posted: 12/18/2011 1:16:11 PM
I have some experience in advertising.

Bill O'Rielly's average viewer is 68. One of the chief criticism's of the Nielsen ratings is that it over represents old people. So given Bill's demographics, his actual viewership is probably less than Jon's. This is all understood by the agencies when they get the numbers - that's why the total viewers without the demographics is useless. Shows like Boston Legal finished in the top 10 in the Nielsen's the whole run. But advertisers looked at the demographics of the show and subtracted half. Plus Apple didn't want to try to sell iPhones to them and Sony didn't want to try to get them to go to the latest blockbuster.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Is Fox News Evil or Stupid? [CLOSED for further review]