Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Is Fox News Evil or Stupid? [CLOSED for further review]      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 4rumninja
Msg: 176
Is Fox News Evil or Stupid?Page 8 of 26    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26)
If my Boss did that I would probably say ok..its a lot better than being unemployed...

Your analogy is disingenuous, it is not about a "bigger boat", its about running the State...Would you prefer massive lay offs?

I live in Indiana, an Employment at will state..we have to deal with all of this on a regular basis ..

Expecting them to pay into their Health Insurance is a bad thing? Really? why shouldn't they?
So the state/city whatever will pay 87.4% of their premium? that doesn't sound bad at all...

Require them to pay into their pension? A bad thing, really?why shouldn't they? So for every dollar they contribute the City/State will contribute a dollar...that doesn't sound bad either...
 abelian
Msg: 177
Is Fox News Evil or Stupid?
Posted: 2/20/2011 4:22:37 AM

Remember how Bush was bashed last time prices got over $3.00 per gallon?

You mean when the prices hit almost $4.00/gallon? Yeah. I remember that. What about it?
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 178
view profile
History
Posted: 2/20/2011 6:02:33 AM
4rum...
If someone bought out your company which had a balanced budget, then proceeded to give over $100,000,000 away to his buddies, so they could buy bigger boats, then turn on you and your co-workers to demand that they payup to help make up for his gifts, which they dutifully agree to, but then ups the ante by demanding that you agree to give up all rights to negotiate any future pay raises, and could be subject to arbitrary pay cuts and benefit cuts unilatterally on his part....Would you still bend over and take it?

While Glenn Beck and his Koch Party co-hort wish to paint the protesters as part of a global anarchy/islamic calliphate/anti-christ movement, in the real world it's much simpler than that. It is Koch Brothers tea party republicans, doing the bidding of their masters in destroying unions. Wisconsin is just the start. Destroying unions will undermine financial support to democratic candidates in the future. By doing so this eliminates competition for the corporations that control republican candidates.
This article details the cozy relationship between Walker and the Koch Brothers, and what financial interests the Koch's have in Wisconsin.
http://blogs.forbes.com/rickungar/2011/02/18/koch-brothers-behind-wisconsin-effort-to-kill-public-unions/
 FrankNStein902
Msg: 179
Posted: 2/20/2011 10:12:06 AM
Wisconsin Protesters Breitbarted Over Bogus Teachers' Excuses

Fox News broke this bulletin about an hour ago. It stems from a video posted by the MacIver Institute Wisconsin alleging that a doctor is signing bogus excuses for teachers protesting in Madison. Because it is illegal for teachers to strike, they called in sick and have been told they will have to produce a valid doctors excuse in order to be excused for their absences.

So isn't it interesting that a right-wing organization would produce a news report saying such excuses are fabricated? Usually, the way this works is that part of the final negotiation also forgives the days missed for protests, by the way, so this is ginned up nonsense from the start...

...So we're clear on this, Christian Hartsock, the guy "interviewed" and also the guy who probably produced that first video is the same guy who helped out with the smears of ACORN and New Jersey teachers, and he works for Andrew Breitbart.

Breitbart has bragged about being at the protests in Wisconsin today. Americans for Prosperity is linked to the MacIver Institute. A Breitbart video smear guy is quoted in an article smearing teachers. Figure it out....

http://crooksandliars.com/karoli/wisconsin-protesters-breitbarted-over-bogus

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fox News Forced Out of Protest in Madison, WI

Seems more are catching on to Faux news tactics.

http://www.liveleak.com/item?a=view&token=405_1298164664
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 180
view profile
History
Posted: 2/20/2011 12:48:32 PM
http://www.frumforum.com/fox-geezer-syndrome
snip..more at link..

"She’s been like that ever since she started watching Glenn Beck,” Dad said.

A few months later, she roped him into watching Beck, which had the same effect. Even though we’re all conservatives, I found myself having to steer our phone conversations away from politics and current events. It wasn’t that I disagreed with their opinions – though I often did – but rather that I found the vehemence with which they expressed those opinions to be so off-putting.

Then I flew out for a visit, and observed that their television was on all day long, even if no one was watching it. What channel was playing? Fox. Spending a few days in the company of the channel – especially Glenn Beck — it all became clear to me. If Fox was the window through which I saw the wider world, for hours every day, I’d be perpetually pissed off too.

Back home, I mentioned to a friend over beers how much Fox my mom and dad watched, and how angry they now were about politics.

“Yours too?!” he said. “I’ve noticed the same thing with mine. They weren’t always like this, but since they retired, they’ve gotten into Fox, and you can’t even talk to them anymore without hearing them read the riot act about Obama.”

I started to wonder how common this Fox Geezer Syndrome was. I began to poll conservative friends of my generation who had right-wing parents. At least eight different people – not an Obama voter among them, and one of them actually a George W. Bush political appointee in Washington – told me that yes, they had observed a correlation between the fevered emotionalism of their elderly parents’ politics, and increased exposure to Fox News.
 FrankNStein902
Msg: 181
Posted: 2/23/2011 7:03:15 PM
For those at home keep score.

Add another to the Evil pile.

Fox reverses poll results to portray public as anti-union

A new poll was released Wednesday showing the public strongly supports union bargaining rights by a two-to-one margin. The Fox News Channel’s “Fox and Friends” program displayed and voiced the results of the poll backwards, in a way that depicts the public as strongly opposed to unions.

Could this be another “honest mistake” by the conservative network? Or something else?

http://www.rawstory.com/rawreplay/2011/02/fox-reverses-poll-results-to-portray-public-as-anti-union/
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 182
Posted: 2/24/2011 8:44:58 AM
Hey, Glenn Beck may be on to something. It seems a world leader agrees with him on the source of the so-called "democracy protests" sweeping the Arab world:

In a phone call addressed to residents of the town of al-Zawiya, Col Gaddafi said young people were being duped with drugs and alcohol to take part in "destruction and sabotage".

Col Gaddafi is battling to shore up control of Tripoli and western areas.

Protesters have been consolidating gains in cities in the east.

Opposition politicians and tribal leaders have held a key meeting in the eastern town of al-Bayda to show a united front against Col Gaddafi.
'This is your country'

The telephone call addressed al-Zawiya, 50km (30 miles) west of the capital, where there has been renewed gunfire reported in the streets.

Col Gaddafi said the protesters had no genuine demands and were being dictated to by the al-Qaeda leader.

"Bin Laden... this is the enemy who is manipulating people. Do not be swayed by Bin Laden," he said.

"It is obvious now that this issue is run by al-Qaeda. Those armed youngsters, our children, are incited by people who are wanted by America and the Western world.

That's from today's BBC feed.
 PGL7
Msg: 183
Posted: 2/25/2011 5:07:05 PM
FOX News continues to dominate the cable news viewership ratings with almost a 2 t0 1 lead over its nearest competitor.
MSNBC, CNN and HLN together don't add up to FOXs numbers.

They must be doing something right.
 FrankNStein902
Msg: 184
Posted: 2/25/2011 5:43:07 PM

FOX News continues to dominate the cable news viewership ratings with almost a 2 t0 1 lead over its nearest competitor.

They must be doing something right

Is that something they are doing right, ethical?

They are the number one cable news network by viewership, but still can not close to network ratings, thus they are still a minor player.
 FrankNStein902
Msg: 185
Posted: 2/26/2011 7:24:21 AM

Think people, think. ALL NETWORKS IN AMERICA ARE EQUALLY GUILTY OF THE SAME.

Then prove it.

It has been asked before yet never answered.

Lets see your examples of the bias in the other networks.

This thread is full of clips from Fox where they have blatantly lied, interestingly enough you have ignored them so here is a link to another one:

Fox news will edit pictures of people to make them look worse:
http://mediamatters.org/research/200807020002

Fox news will edit sound clips of speeches and other events:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84er11W9rU4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xobA2MoDzDY

Here is a case of a Fox news host lying on air.

The Daily Show Ridicules Megyn Kelly's Claim That Fox News Figures Don't Make Nazi References
January 25, 2011 5:51 am ET by Media Matters staff

On the January 24 edition of Comedy Central's The Daily Show, host Jon Stewart ridiculed America Live host Megyn Kelly's claim that she "watch[es]" Fox News "every day" and hadn't noticed Fox News figures comparing their political and ideological opponents to Nazis or used Nazi references to smear them. From the Daily Show:

http://mediamatters.org/blog/201101250003

This is irrefutable proof that they have lied and there are 100's more.

Anyone that says all news organizations are the same and they all are like Fox proves that the really do not know anything other than what they are told to know by Fox.

So please show me where any other news organization has puled with kind of crap.
 FrankNStein902
Msg: 186
Posted: 3/1/2011 1:08:50 PM
No Faux news for Canada, because they lie too much to obtain a broadcasting license in Canada.

Regulators Reject Proposal That Would Bring Fox-Style News to Canada

As America's middle class battles for its survival on the Wisconsin barricades -- against various Koch Oil surrogates and the corporate toadies at Fox News -- fans of enlightenment, democracy and justice can take comfort from a significant victory north of Wisconsin border. Fox News will not be moving into Canada after all! The reason: Canada regulators announced last week they would reject efforts by Canada's right wing Prime Minister, Stephen Harper, to repeal a law that forbids lying on broadcast news.

Canada's Radio Act requires that "a licenser may not broadcast....any false or misleading news." The provision has kept Fox News and right wing talk radio out of Canada and helped make Canada a model for liberal democracy and freedom. As a result of that law, Canadians enjoy high quality news coverage including the kind of foreign affairs and investigative journalism that flourished in this country before Ronald Reagan abolished the "Fairness Doctrine" in 1987. Political dialogue in Canada is marked by civility, modesty, honesty, collegiality, and idealism that have pretty much disappeared on the U.S. airwaves. When Stephen Harper moved to abolish anti-lying provision of the Radio Act, Canadians rose up to oppose him fearing that their tradition of honest non partisan news would be replaced by the toxic, overtly partisan, biased and dishonest news coverage familiar to American citizens who listen to Fox News and talk radio. Harper's proposal was timed to facilitate the launch of a new right wing network, "Sun TV News" which Canadians call "Fox News North."

Harper, often referred to as "George W. Bush's Mini Me," is known for having mounted a Bush like war on government scientists, data collectors, transparency, and enlightenment in general. He is a wizard of all the familiar tools of demagoguery; false patriotism, bigotry, fear, selfishness and belligerent religiosity.

Harper's attempts to make lying legal on Canadian television is a stark admission that right wing political ideology can only dominate national debate through dishonest propaganda. Since corporate profit-taking is not an attractive vessel for populism, a political party or broadcast network that makes itself the tool of corporate and financial elites must lie to make its agenda popular with the public. In the Unites States, Fox News and talk radio, the sock puppets of billionaires and corporate robber barons have become the masters of propaganda and distortion on the public airwaves. Fox News's notoriously biased and dishonest coverage of the Wisconsin's protests is a prime example of the brand of news coverage Canada has smartly avoided.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert-f-kennedy-jr/fox-news-will-not-be-moving-into-canada-after-all_b_829473.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fox News Lies: The Mike Tobin Attack

Fox News has reported that Mike Tobin was "attacked," "punched," "hit," and "battered," yet has not released any footage of the attack despite the fact it occurred during filming. This is because it didn't happen. How do I know? Because this is the video I took of the incident.

http://www.liveleak.com/item?a=view&token=d2e_1298976953
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 187
view profile
History
Posted: 3/2/2011 5:44:00 AM
Fox is using footage with those famous Wisconsin palm trees in the background, to try to make the case that the Wisconsin protest is violent and full of outside agitators. Shameless, lying scumbags.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RClJ6vK9x_4
 FrankNStein902
Msg: 188
Posted: 3/22/2011 1:36:22 PM
And another to the stupid column.

Fox News identifies Japanese dance club as nuclear power plant.

If you don't find "Shibuyaeggman" on the International Atomic Energy Agency's list of Japanese nuclear power stations, that's because "Eggman" is a dance club for indie and underground bands in the Tokyo district of "Shibuya." Sounds like a fun place to drink, have fun, and not evacuate due to a nuclear meltdown.

http://www.someecards.com/2011/03/15/fox-news-identifies-japanese-nightclub-as-nuclear-power-plant
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 189
view profile
History
Posted: 3/23/2011 8:45:07 AM
The fact that Faux could not find any violent protesters in Wisconsin and had to rely on footage from a year ago, across the country, clearly showed intent to lie and to paint the protesters as violent in Wisconsin. The only hardship that the "reporters" had was mostly being shunned, and having their ears assaulted with chants of "Fox Lies". The truth hurts.

Good friends of mine were there for the duration, in the crowds and there were no reported incidents of violence. It was one of the most peaceful and largest of civil disobedience movements of all time.
 4rumninja
Msg: 190
Posted: 3/23/2011 10:34:31 AM

The fact that Faux could not find any violent protesters
True, there were few if any acts of physical violence but the whole tone of the demonstrations was violent in nature. From posters with images of historically violent people to uncontrolled outbursts of hate speech...the overwhelming number of protesters packed into such a small area was meant to intimidate and threaten the Governor and the Republican Senators and who supported the legislation.

It was one of the most peaceful
Peaceful? I don't think so, the absence of physical violence doesn't make the protests "Peaceful"...
 romancemann
Msg: 191
Posted: 3/23/2011 10:38:35 AM

i like Fox the best because i like the way they PRESENT their news first and foremost.
i find their reporters give more interesting stories than the others.

i wouldn't be honest if i didn't say i think their female reporters are the hottest on tv. but then i do watch Natasha Curry on HLN because of her looks AND personality.

and i watch Rachel Maddow because she's funny and entertaining as well as informative on MSNBC.

FOX IS MY CHOICE.
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 192
Posted: 3/23/2011 11:33:28 AM

On a related note, if you watch more of the show to get the context, http://www.mediaite.com/tv/no-fox-news-did-not-lie-with-wisconsin-palm-tree-violent-protest-video/

Pulled from the above web site was this little tidbit.
Now, as much as O’Reilly wants to talk about how there are a bunch of “pro-union” guys on the network, this segment was clearly anti-union. Why else have a set series of footage showing just the clips of angry protesters pushing people and then get Tobin to talk about how the protesters attacked him? However, filtering a news story through an opinion during a show that is readily identified as an “opinion show” isn’t unethical. You can disagree with the Factor’s slant and how they presented it but, no, the show did not lie.

i like Fox the best because i like the way they PRESENT their news first and foremost.

However, filtering a news story through an opinion during a show that is readily identified as an “opinion show” isn’t unethical
Go figure…Fox News is really an opinion show??? Say it ain’t so…So that means that 49% of the country thinks that an opinion is fact…and since they are an opinion show they can spin the stories the way they wish…
The funny thing is that someone who I thought was reasonably informed told me the other day that NPR and PBS were just arms of the liberal media…and I thought WTF…where do they come up with this shyte.
 romancemann
Msg: 193
Posted: 3/24/2011 3:12:49 PM
they have opinion shows (Beck, Cavuto, Hannity, etc) and they have their regular news shows with Doochy and Martha McCallum.

separate the two Garfield.
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 194
view profile
History
Posted: 3/24/2011 3:31:42 PM
The reporting staff is a mere extension of the management and punditry on Fox. They are given their marching orders and told how to think and present bias.
http://www.thewrap.com/tv/column-post/fox-news-editor-told-reporters-how-couch-language-health-care-debate-23135

http://nation.foxnews.com/illegal-immigration/2010/12/19/reporters-told-dont-say-illegal-immigrant

Impossible to seperate the two. It's also difficult oft times to differentiate between Fox "news" and The Onion.
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 195
Posted: 3/24/2011 4:03:38 PM

regular news shows with Doochy and Martha McCallum.

I actually would not know this...I only watch that evil liberal opinion show "The News Hour"
 NotGorshkovAgain
Msg: 196
view profile
History
Posted: 3/24/2011 6:14:15 PM
Political dialogue in Canada is marked by civility, modesty, honesty, collegiality, and idealism that have pretty much disappeared on the U.S. airwaves.

Obviously written by somebody who's never watched question period.

When Stephen Harper moved to abolish anti-lying provision of the Radio Act, Canadians rose up to oppose him fearing that their tradition of honest non partisan news would be replaced by the toxic, overtly partisan, biased and dishonest news coverage familiar to American citizens who listen to Fox News and talk radio.

There was never a move made to abolish this clause. Instead, it was to be reworded to say "any broadcaster who KNOWINGLY ........"
Big difference. This covers broadcasters who make honest mistakes - it does NOT give anybody a licence to say whatever the hell they want.
Harper's proposal was timed to facilitate the launch of a new right wing network, "Sun TV News" which Canadians call "Fox News North."

*SOME* Canadians. But then again, some Canadians also say that anybody to the right of the NDP are neo-nazis.

Harper, often referred to as "George W. Bush's Mini Me," is known for having mounted a Bush like war on government scientists, data collectors, transparency, and enlightenment in general.

News flash: Generally speaking, evening the Democrats in the states are to the right of Harper and the Cdn Tories. The reality is that the entire political spectrum in Canada is to the left of the USA, with the Conservatives in Canada being (generally peaking) in line or slightly to the right of the American Democratic Party.

He is a wizard of all the familiar tools of demagoguery; false patriotism, bigotry, fear, selfishness and belligerent religiosity.

Doesn't that sound like it was written by a demogague? Even the most rabid Tory patriot is less knee-jerk and jingoistic than pretty well any american. "Belligerent religiosity"? wtf does that even MEAN?

Harper's attempts to make lying legal on Canadian television is a stark admission that right wing political ideology can only dominate national debate through dishonest propaganda.

Again - big difference between an honest mistake, and knowingly spreading false information. Demagogue, meet your evil twin, Zealot.

Since corporate profit-taking is not an attractive vessel for populism, a political party or broadcast network that makes itself the tool of corporate and financial elites must lie to make its agenda popular with the public.

Overwhelming source of Tory contributions: Individuals.
Overwhelming source of NDP contributions: Organized Labour.
Overwhelming source of Liberal contributions: Businesses.

Fox News's notoriously biased and dishonest coverage of the Wisconsin's protests is a prime example of the brand of news coverage Canada has smartly avoided.

Surprisingly, correct. Our misinformation comes from the left/center-left CBC.

Sorry, folks. Robert F Kennedy may be many things, but an expert on Canadian politics or broadcast policy is not one of them. This drivel is just as out to lunch, just as ignorant, and just as insulting as what Sarah Palin's comments on "death panels" were during the last presidential election.

And this is *exactly* the sort of crap that makes so many people in the rest of the world think americans are narrow minded and ignorant of anything outside of their own back yards.
 FrankNStein902
Msg: 197
Posted: 3/30/2011 3:22:46 PM
Here is some for the evil column and more proof that Fox makes stuff.

Fox News executive admits his attempt to link Obama to socialism was a lie
March 29, 2011 08:00 AM

During the 2008 presidential campaign one Fox News executive repeatedly tried to smear Barack Obama with charges of "socialism."

Liberal watchdog group Media Matters has uncovered audio that indicates Fox News Washington managing editor Bill Sammon was just engaging in what he called "mischievous speculation."

In 2009, Sammon told an audience aboard Mediterranean cruise sponsored by a right-wing college that his 2008 attempt to link Obama to socialism was "a premise that privately I found rather far-fetched."

"Last year, candidate Barack Obama stood on a sidewalk in Toledo, Ohio, and first let it slip to Joe the Plumber that he wanted to quote, 'spread the wealth around,'" Sammon said. "At that time, I have to admit, that I went on TV on Fox News and publicly engaged in what I guess was some rather mischievous speculation about whether Barack Obama really advocated socialism, a premise that privately I found rather far-fetched."

During the 2008 campaign, the then-Washington deputy managing editor repeatedly suggested that Obama had socialist tendencies.

On Oct. 14, 2008, Sammon said that Obama's comment to Joe Wurzelbacher "is red meat when you're talking to conservatives and you start talking about 'spread the wealth around.' That is tantamount to socialism."

In early February, Media Matters obtained an email where Sammon offered talking points to Fox News staff, linking Obama to socialism and Marxism during the 2008 campaign.

"If Fox News really cares about its 'reporting,' they will fire DC exec Bill Sammon over this," former MSNBC anchor David Shuster tweeted Tuesday.

"These remarks, unearthed by the liberal advocacy group Media Matters, raise the question of whether Sammon, who oversees Washington news coverage for Fox News, was deliberately trying to sabotage the Democratic presidential candidate," The Daily Beast's Howard Kurtz noted.

In another e-mail obtained by Media Matters, Sammon told his staff to downplay the importance of climate science that showed the world was getting warmer.

Additional emails showed that Sammon asked his news department to refer to the public option as the "government run option" because polls showed the phrase "government option" was opposed by the public.

http://videocafe.crooksandliars.com/david/fox-news-executive-admits-his-attempt-link-o
 MondoVman
Msg: 198
view profile
History
Posted: 3/30/2011 11:00:48 PM
^^^I read words like "speculation" and such in the above, but the only "lie" I could find is in the headline. Here, I've decorated the word "lie" as "***lie***" to make it easy for posters to find it, the word "lie", that is:
Fox News executive admits his attempt to link Obama to socialism was a ***lie***

No evidence, nor statement/argument, of or about evilness or stupidity cited above. Hunh? So why the post?
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 199
view profile
History
Posted: 3/31/2011 1:56:38 AM
I saw the mis-titled article about the Fox guy purposely goading the Obama campaign with something he didn't believe himself. While I agree, my first thought was that he didn't LIE, exactly.
At the same time, it IS an excellent example of why Fox News should be categorized as an infomercial" station, and not as News programming. Purposely setting out to get people to believe something you don't yourself believe is true, is NOT compatible with claiming to report facts. So it DOES belong in this thread.
Back to the original title categories of Evil or Stupid, I again find that in this case, Fox is neither, but that they ARE despicable, ingenuous, manipulative, and that they blame their own bad behavior on others. They want to believe that it's wrong to misreport the news, if you are NOT right wing conservative, pro Tea Party, but that it's justified to do it if you ARE. That sort of thinking isn't tolerable in anyone over the age of two.
 Twilightslove
Msg: 200
view profile
History
Posted: 3/31/2011 2:50:44 PM
Just thought I would add a former associate editor and columnist of the Wall Street Journal's thoughts here.

The Difficulty Of Being
An Informed American

By Paul Craig Roberts

09 January, 2009
Countercurrents.org

The American print and TV media has never been very good. These days it is horrible. If a person intends to be informed, he must turn to foreign news broadcasts, to Internet sites, to foreign newspapers available on the Internet, or to alternative newspapers that are springing up in various cities. A person who sits in front of Murdoch’s Fox “News” or CNN or who reads the New York Times is simply being brainwashed with propaganda.

Before conservatives nod their heads in agreement, I’m not referring to “the liberal media.” I mean the propaganda that issues from the US government and the Israel Lobby.

It was neoconservative Bush regime propaganda fed to America through Judith Miller and the New York Times and through Murdoch’s Fox “News” that convinced Americans that they were in danger from a small secular Arab country half way around the globe called Iraq. It was the American media that convinced Americans that getting rid of dangerous “weapons of mass destruction,” weapons that did not exist in Iraq, would be a cakewalk paid for by Iraqi oil revenues.

It is the same propagandistic American print and TV media that has rationalized Bush’s illegal invasion of Iraq and Afghanistan based on seven years of lies and deception.

It is the same media that today provides only Israeli propaganda as “coverage” of the Israeli war crimes in Gaza.

It was the New York Times that spiked for one year the leaked information from the National Security Agency that the Bush regime, in violation of US law, was illegally spying on Americans without warrants. The “liberal” New York Times agreed to suppress the story so that Bush would not face reelection under the cloud of his outlaw behavior.

Conservatives think the Washington Post is “liberal media” despite the fact that the editorial and commentary pages are controlled by neocons and their sympathizers.

During the run up to wars and during wars, the American media has always been a propagandist for the government. The only exceptions occurred during the Vietnam war and the Contra-Sandinista conflict in Central America. Karen de Young and some others tried to honestly cover the Contras and Sandinistas and were demonized by “patriots” taken in by the government’s lies.

Conservatives still blame the “liberal” media for losing the Vietnam war, when in fact all the media did was to provide some truthful reports that opened some American eyes.

When the truth cuts against the position of the US government, conservatives see it as “liberal.”

When propaganda supports the government’s lies, conservatives see it as “patriotic.”

However, any resemblance to independent reporting disappeared from the American media when the Democratic regime of President Clinton allowed Murdoch and a small handful of moguls to concentrate the American media in a few corporate hands. That was the end of American reporting.

Journalists disappeared from media management and were replaced by corporate advertising executives with an eye not to offend any source of advertising revenue, and certainly not to offend the government, which controls the broadcast licenses that comprise the value of the mega-companies. Today reporters write the stories that their masters want to hear, or they are out. The function of editors is to make certain that no uncomfortable information reaches the public.

The public is slowly catching on, and the print media is slowly dying. The New York Times, Chicago Tribune, and Los Angeles Times are all on the ropes to one extent or the other.

Americans are still subjected to Fox “News” and CNN propaganda piped into airport waiting rooms, doctors’ offices, and exercise centers. It is very much the situation that George Orwell describes in 1984.

People ask me where they can get reliable information. I tell them that their goal cannot be reached without their commitment of time.

People who have access to television services that provide English language foreign broadcasts, such as Iran’s Press TV, Russia Today, or Al Jazeera, can get get news and insights from those parts of the world demonized by the US media.

The BBC World Service still reports facts while covering itself by providing the views of the US, UK, and Israeli governments.

Both the Asia Times and Israeli newspapers, such as Haaretz can be read online in English. There are other such newspapers, and all of them provide information that Americans will never see in their own media. Any American newspaper that was as truthful about the Israeli government as Haaretz would be closed down.

The only US print media with which I am familiar in which some honest reporting can be found on a regular basis is the McClatchy papers.

Americans addicted to print media must turn to alternative newspapers, which tend to be weekly or bi-weekly. However, the news and commentary provided are often superb.

I have made no study of alternative newspapers and know very few. The Rock Creek Free Press (www.RockCreekFreePress.com ) is terrific. After reading one issue, you will waste no more time on the “mainstream media.” The Rock Creek Free Press is likely to rescue even the dullest mind from its brainwashed state.

Other alternative newspapers, such as The Liberty Voice ( www.TheLibertyVoice.com ),lift your spirit as well as inform.

Alternative newspapers are often the children of people motivated by a sense of justice and the love of truth. Such people have become an endangered species in the American “mainstream media.” The free press Americans have today is online and in the alternative media.

The function of the “mainstream media” is to sell products and to brainwash the audience for the government and interest groups. By subscribing to it, Americans support their own brainwashing.

Dr. Roberts was associate editor and columnist for the Wall Street Journal, columnist for Business Week, and columnist for the Scripps Howard Newspapers.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Is Fox News Evil or Stupid? [CLOSED for further review]