Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 CoolBreezez
Msg: 113
view profile
History
Tiger Woods Divorce: Is one years salary a Big SettlementPage 3 of 18    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18)
I just read a blurb from on of the rags- interesting take on the issue.

Basically Tigers original agreement got trashed because it didn't prevent her from going public with whatever information she had. Guess that would fall in line with all the hush money spent on paying off the other girls. That Tiger must be one sick mofo to need to spend over 100 mil keep the wife and mistresses all quiet. Must have been runnin his own Saddam and Gomorrah, maybe both at home and on the road or weird stuff ala Mikey Jackson. After all, Tiger may have never had a normal life growing up either.

He also may have felt he was a master of the universe and thought the rules didn't apply to him. Old saying- absolute power corrupts absolutely. Another Greek Tragedy plays out here in the new millenium. As for the money and the amounts spent- trickle down economics at its finest!- LOL

So for guys like MrE- this case isn't really like yours in a few ways.
You didn't have to give your ex hush money- did you?
You were probably more wronged than the ex?
Maybe only made about 2-3 times the spouse?
Probably damaged you more financially than Woodsey by a large margin.

So what happen to you and what happened to him sound to me like two different cases.
Maybe someday the truth will come out around the circumstances, but today its difficult to judge what roles each of the players had in this in any absolute sense. It's outcome has barely any meaning or relationship to the common man.
 Lint Spotter
Msg: 115
view profile
History
Tiger Woods Divorce: Is one years salary a Big Settlement
Posted: 9/9/2010 11:52:59 AM
Yup… it certainly sucks to be you Mr. Evil… but wait… you knowingly stayed with a cheater right… ? So you decided that this behaviour was acceptable to you at some point during your marriage… since you stayed, you must have. Now, let’s back up a little… if you would have left at the time you FIRST found out about her cheating, how would the settlement have been at that point?

In my opinion, comparing your meager earnings and the vast differences in marriages to that of Tiger and Elin, is kinda like trying to make apple jelly using oranges.
 CoolBreezez
Msg: 117
view profile
History
Posted: 9/9/2010 12:11:31 PM

Which means, if you were making $495K or $745K per year, then I guess you did pay her one year's salary over time. If making less than that, you paid a helluva lot more, and obviously if making less than that then a bit less than a year's salary.

Looking at Mr.E's settlement and scaling it up to Tigers yearly income- it would be roughly along the same scale. In this case though, Evil was the one morally wronged and spent a number of years in a bad marriage as well.

So that's really one question with the divorce issue- does the person who was "wronged" deserve more in the settlement, be it the higher earning one - Mr. Evil- or the lesser off one- Elin? Or should divorce be strictly about what you brought in and contributed financially during and walk away. Problem being- how do you sort this all out on top of child care?

Also- if you were divorced a number of years ago, alimony was a bigger issue and pretty one sided. I think as progress is made, and men and women's incomes equalize, there will be less and less of it paid out. Also society doesn't want to see divorcees hitting the welfare ranks either- better to have the ex pay for it than the taxpayer!

Another thing of note- Tiger and Elin settled pretty much out of court, so is it really an example of the system or just a civil dispute with one party being one of the richest men on the planet? The settlement didn't seem to take much time either so they both must be somewhat satisfied with it.

Tiger got what he got and she got what she got- whats fair is a matter of point of view and speculation. It helps helps keep the tabloids and paparazzi fed and forum boards humming and the lawyers billing by the hour- such is the price of fame.
 Lint Spotter
Msg: 118
view profile
History
Posted: 9/9/2010 12:12:09 PM

So you decided that this behaviour was acceptable to you at some point during your marriage… since you stayed, you must have. Now, let’s back up a little… if you would have left at the time you FIRST found out about her cheating, how would the settlement have been at that point?

Just because he didn't throw her cheating azz out when he first found out doesn't mean he condoned it.
The split would have been the same!
His argument is that Elin got away with far too much because she was only married for four years. With that in mind, the length of the marriage is to him, in direct relation with the amount due to a person so he increased his ex wife's payable by remaining in the relationship. Can't call foul if you willingly stayed can you?

Bottom line is women have a huge advanatge in divorce settlements!
Bottom line actually is that the person that earns less in the marriage is the advantaged party in divorce settlements. This is based on the presumption that the person with the lower income has worked to maintain the marriage home.

If you don't like the law, work to change it rather than bytching on a dating site's forums. Better yet... don't let yourself be taken advantage of, stay single...
 CoolBreezez
Msg: 120
view profile
History
Posted: 9/9/2010 1:40:08 PM
I kind of like how my dad advised me during my divorce as his idea of "the best way" for people to divide assets...one party makes two piles (figuratively) of all the assets....and then the second party gets first pick of which pile they want. Better hope the one making the piles did the best they could to make it even then, right?

That's pretty much how it went down for me. Frankly I didn't want her girl stuff and she didn't want my guy junk- all sentimaental value things were split by who wanted it more. I did spend more the course of the relationship but thats all a part of living and some good memories went with those times too.

We both knew the worse thing you could do was fight over every last penny and involve lawyers with the clock running. You both lose, some lawyers encourage more disputes (read billable hours) and hurt feelings abound. There's so much muck slung that no one's able to sort out the truth anyway.

Maybe here in Canada things stay more civil because of the lack of alimony. Really it makes for a cleaner split and once the settlement is reached your done with the other person and can move on- no monthly reminder of the loss. Again kids would complicate this more. This wasn't always the case in Canada.

Some of my older divorced buddies are still recounting their horror stories of paying for life. They sound like they have post tramatic stress syndrome and get foaming at the mouth talking about it, partly due to the beers consumed in our guy therapy sessions at the local sports bars. So far our recovery rate has been pretty good and fun too!
 CoolBreezez
Msg: 121
view profile
History
Posted: 9/9/2010 6:00:53 PM

I guess though it's OK, women never learn compassion, only princess syndrome.

Yes E- well you see no compassion for MEN. As we all know from these boards

Men are beasts driven only by our desire for power, sex, food and sport
have no real feelings besides happy and angry and lust
ruled by our gonads
superficial
care about sports more than our kids
are intimidated by successful, independant women
too insensitive
too wimpy
too aggressive
don't understand women
self centered
suppressed women for thousands of years
whine about our ex's too much
etc, etc ,etc

Therefore we rank low on women sympathy scoreboard. It goes something like this
1. Children
2. Other women
3. Animals
4. The environment
5. Male relatives
6. Husbands
7. Other males
8. The devil
9. The other women
10. Ex- husband

Sorry you have to deal with it. Suck it up and have a with your buds- we understand.
 Delete_Me_Please
Msg: 123
Posted: 9/9/2010 9:15:08 PM
mr.evil, after reading about your history, I'm actually surprised that you take issue with the amount Tiger presumably paid to Elin. I'm guessing the settlement you paid had at least somewhat of an effect on your lifestyle... and your attitude. But what's $100 million to Tiger? It's money he couldn't possibly spend. Not only that, if we assume he bought her silence, he has the potential to gain money but making that payout. What did you have to gain?

I'm not particularly in favor of the concept of alimony-- especially if the cheater walks away with the money-- but as long as this system exists, I think it's only fair that the pinch to a wealthy person should be somewhat equivalent to that of an average joe.
 daynadaze
Msg: 124
view profile
History
Posted: 9/9/2010 9:43:40 PM
I don't know Elin, but I've never read anything bad about her or by her, she sounds like someone who married a man she though might be her prince charming and he turned out to be a piece of chit. I highly doubt she thought he was screwing every woman who was willing, and I doubt she had his children just to trap him. I do know women do that but I don't get that from Elin. There's nothing wrong with making a lot of money and there's nothing wrong with marrying someone who makes a lot of money, she signed the prenup, so did he. She didn't cheat and ruin their marriage, he did, he broke the prenup I would guess so why should she had only gotten what was in it? Do we know what was in it? Do we have a clue what was in it? I don't know. But I do know most of them have cheating as a deal breaker. So she got a lot of money, to most of us anyway, she hardly got what she seemed to have wanted, a good husband and marriage. Anyway it's over, I feel badly for the kids, not only is their home broken now but they will know exactly what their dad did and it could be really damaging.

As for Mr. Evil, he got skinned and I think that is wrong and it sucks and it's too bad his wife will never have to pay for what she did to or took from him. In a case like his I think she should have gotten nothing but what was hers, not the house, not his money and not his kids, she broke her vows and she should have had to walk away. But the courts are not often really handing out justice. And yeah I was one of those who walked away with my child and my bike, not even a car, a bike. He burned my clothes and shot at me with a gun and well, we both broke the marriage up but I did not take all his precious money or the properties in both our names, etc. I got my child and 80.oo a month in child support that he mostly paid every month but not always. I did not even try to take what was his, that he had worked hard to build up, it wasn't mine.

Not all women are gold diggers and not all women who get a good amount of money in a divorce settlement are gold diggers, and not all men are victims. I think we need to take our own bitterness out of the equation when talking about what Tiger did to his wife and children, it's not about us and what we went through, it's about a man who ripped his own marriage and family apart for some trashy sex with easy women.
 BLUEMISS
Msg: 125
view profile
History
Posted: 9/9/2010 9:49:23 PM
There was just an article in the Globe and Mail, stating that women make better grades in school, but get paid lower wages, for doing the same work men do. So why should the men not be made to pay higher child support, if they are able?Life is clearly NOT fair!
You don't want your woman to walk off with your wealth...marry money...simple!
And keep your****in your pants!
 CoolBreezez
Msg: 133
view profile
History
Posted: 9/10/2010 10:45:46 AM
Honestly no matter what you say I do care about allot of men who have been screwed and the women who were screwed too ... I have meet allot of both and it has gone both ways lots of times.

Oh Savona - if other get to rant why can't I?

It's just so easy to pull out that broad brush and paint every person or situation as the same. It also seems to get the most response here too.

Back on topic- I think everyone here is trying and struggling with the concept of "fair".
Really there are many different kinds of issues of fairness and justice in a case like this and most others.

1. Tiger was bad and should be punished- same as average Joe/Jane. However to do this you would have to take an astronomical amount of money from him. Does he deserve this for doing something not really illegal but still hurtful? Just how hurt is she? Most here agree that he screwed up, needs to make amends and get stung for bad behavior.

2. Elin should be rewarded or compensated. So in a divorce case the idea would to give that money to Elin. But really- does she "need" or "deserve" this much? I would say no.
But his punishment is her reward. Again unbalanced incomes make this hard.

3. Should the courts try to decide what is fair based on facts, accusations and hurts? That's an extremely hard job ,very time consuming, expensive and open to opinion. Much of it would be on the taxpayers dime too. I would say this type of case can only be afforded by the wealthy and the cost should be borne by the parties involved. But this smacks of two tier justice then doesn't it?

3. For the public, at this time men still generally make more than women, despite education. Should this be factored into divorce? I would say it should be done on a case by case basis.

4. Should there be one set of rules for all regarding the split? I think thats being attempted now but its still messy.

5. Should children get compensated from the non custodial parent to meet basic needs or put them into a life style similar to the better off spouse? Does this need to be decreed by law or just agreed upon?

6. Does a spouse who does not work, stays home to care for the kids and household deserve more money from the supporting spouse in the event of a breakup? I would say yes at least for a few years to get on their feet.
But as the case of Evil here, what if stay at home thing was only suppose to be until the kids went to school, then back into the work force? Does the working spouse have legal grounds for compensation if the partner reneges on the deal? Is divorce with a even split fair in this situation? Again hard- messy situation. You would need to have written intent to prove it in court. Getting someone to sign it during a marriage would kind of be awkward wouldn't it?

Divorce is a messy situation, best avoided but this just isn't possible with fallible humans involved. What I think is required is a low cost and quick way to finish it, with some balance of fairness but not necessarily perfect, which doesn't really exist. This could be supplemented by exit therapy so people could learn to move on with their lives.
I'll offer up my guy threapy plan for the men. For the ladies you'll have to come up with something. lol- could be a booming business.
 Delete_Me_Please
Msg: 137
Posted: 9/10/2010 2:49:49 PM

According to the definition they had already agreed who got what if they divorced.......she stayed after she asked for more........then she left.......gold digger.

Nobody knows for sure if the final settlement was more than the original prenup and, if it was, nobody knows if she asked for more or if he volunteered more.
 Lint Spotter
Msg: 143
view profile
History
Posted: 9/11/2010 12:27:35 PM
I do believe you are being deliberately thick

Nope just having fun.
It's difficult if not downright impossible to have a decent debate with someone that states they are misinterpreting others for their own amusement...

Or in another, though less notable instance from another poster, issuing ad hominem insults as part of their debate tactics.

Its nothing more than should be expected on these forums though. Topic be damned... let's have a little fun here...
 Lint Spotter
Msg: 145
view profile
History
Posted: 9/12/2010 5:43:25 PM

Not to worry, I'll be leaving POF shortly for good, then the ladies can have a "ding dong the warlocks dead" moment of kumbya!
You give yourself too much credit... there might be a couple of snickers and a passing shrug from some women on here, but for the most part you'll just fade away like the rest of the misogynists that have passed through...
 Lint Spotter
Msg: 148
view profile
History
Posted: 9/13/2010 11:40:57 AM

Interesting how the term mysogeny and mysogenist are often bandied about IRL and on the forums but misandry and misandric are terms not often referred to - could it be that women are more vocal about their labels and name calling than men... I am sure there are a sufficent number of man haters out there to be counted.
You're absolutely correct... I'm sure that there are a number of misandrics on here. Though I disagree with your speculation as to why we see the term misosgynist more often... and it's reason is somewhat displayed by the word Misandry being capitalized... he copied and pasted it from some other place on the internet after looking it up... otherwise it wouldn't be capitalized.
 Lint Spotter
Msg: 150
view profile
History
Posted: 9/13/2010 1:14:33 PM

Now you see Ray of, what I meant by "one poster", she attributes alot to my statements and accuses ME of personal attacks, but it's OK for her.

After all she is a woman, incapable of wrong! Hahahahaha!!

Like I said earlier hypocrisy.
I disagree with this being a display of hypocrisy. His diction and verbiage use are not indicative of him using such words in normal conversation. Furthermore, at no point in this or any other thread have I accused someone of being an animal of any sort whereas you have.

Hypocrisy… I think not. Simply stating the obvious.

As for being wrong... when I am, I'll admit it...
 Pingshooter
Msg: 152
view profile
History
Posted: 9/13/2010 3:52:40 PM

Not to worry, I'll be leaving POF shortly for good, then the ladies can have a "ding dong the warlocks dead" moment of kumbya!

You give yourself too much credit... there might be a couple of snickers and a passing shrug from some women on here, but for the most part you'll just fade away like the rest of the misogynists that have passed through...

________ just pawn in game of life."
 BLUEMISS
Msg: 164
view profile
History
Posted: 9/14/2010 6:30:29 AM
The big head did make the decision.He just let the little head carry it out...or ...
 Lint Spotter
Msg: 165
view profile
History
Posted: 9/14/2010 7:19:06 AM

That's 100% of the issue being discussed. IF you make a contract, you should live by the terms. Now it's common knowledge there was a prenup.
You're forgetting the marriage contract that he broke prior to her breaking the prenuptual agreement. Technically, he was in breach of contract first...
 ItsMargo
Msg: 170
view profile
History
Posted: 9/14/2010 10:19:02 AM

If the 2 parties agreed to 20 milion, why is SHE changing the terms unilaterally?

I've been watching this thread but haven't posted because in general I agree with Evil's line of thinking: If you made a contract (prenup) I feel you ought to stick to it. But people are blending the circumstances of the renegotiation. It was renegotiated at the time of them attempting to reconcile and save their marriage. Tiger's transgressions were well known at this time and - at least in the media - this renegotiation was to "continue the marriage" not to "end it".

When I heard she was reopening it to "stay together", the cynic in me thought "yeah, likely to stay together until the ink on the new contract is dry". And that's the rub for me and I doubt we have any way of discovering "the truth". The bottom line for is is this: WAS it renegotiated in good faith?

Did she say, "OK, we're going at this again and trying to work it out, but now - given all of this cheating - the circumstances of our relationship have changed, so we need a new deal?"

That's fair stance, you know. It IS fair to renegotiate a marriage contract (prenupt). Especially when circumstances change. If the other party doesn't agree, you suck it up and continue along OR end the marriage under the terms of the existing agreement. Tiger did agree to the new agreement. Did he agree, hoping they would be able to work it out, did he agree knowing it was a lost cause? He certainly had very little negotiating room and accepting the changes was the only way to try to work things out. Was Elin playing fair at this point? Don't know.

But they did renegotiate, they did agree to the new terms. The issue of whether Elin is a golddigger or seeking revenge - for me - comes down to did she renegotiate "in good faith" intending to continue and repair the relationship or was it a money grab? Could be either way.
 ItsMargo
Msg: 175
view profile
History
Posted: 9/15/2010 5:15:24 AM
^^ Because Tiger AGREED to open it up and renegotiate the prenup in order to have Elin stay and attempt to work out their issues. When they (or Elin) decided they couldn't resolve things, the new prenup was triggered. It seems to me the prenup worked just fine in this divorce.
 ohwhynot46
Msg: 182
view profile
History
Posted: 9/21/2010 6:45:28 PM
So many factors affect the "divorce rate" that the only logical conclusion I can come to is who cares?!! Statistics are fairly meaningless, distribution only somewhat less so.

As far as the original question, well, even that, a "Big settlement" for whom? Who cares? I didn't get a "settlement" at all, not one penny exchanged hands (unless of course, you include the monies he withdrew from our joint account) and neither did anyone I know who has gotten divorced, not one single person. What is your point, op?
 brunediddy
Msg: 187
view profile
History
Posted: 9/22/2010 8:08:28 AM
Bottom line...is a 100 million enough for her to survive on?

What about 20 million? What about 5 million? What would you do if you "only" got an extra ONE million dollars tomorrow?

I know people who were involved in serious motor vehicle accidents, lost loved ones due to negligence, including my own sister who was permanently paralyzed with a brain injury. What about people injured in the armed forces, coming home to nothing after losing a leg in some hell hole for us all just so we can sit around and get fat arguing about tiger screwing around with****ail wairesses and pornstars??

Many people recieve only a fraction of a hundred million dollars...or even nothing at all for far greater "injuries" than infidelity.

AGAIN is 100 million dollars enough for her to survive on?

End of discussion.
 CoolBreezez
Msg: 189
view profile
History
Posted: 9/22/2010 5:41:14 PM
In my books if the punishment will not significantly affect the persons lifestyle then it is not much of a deterrant or punishment and can be viewed as a slap on the wrist.

See this in interesting- viewing Tigers indiscretions as a "crime" and a need for "punishment". If this were truly a crime in the legal sense, it is viewed as a wrong doing against the state, society and law. In some jurisdictions it is against the law, but not really enforced, and others it is not illegal. This is more of civil action, as in a wrong done against another person, in this case his wife.

So how much money does Tiger have to give Elin to make it "right"? How much should Tiger "suffer"? Those are highly theoretical questions. On such a enormous scale, it is very hard to decide.

Contrast this against OJ for instance. He could not be found guilt of murder because the burden of proof was too high for criminal justice to be conclusive on a conviction. But in civil court there was enough proof of wrongdoing and so the settlement to his ex's parents was enough to completely bankrupt him. That cost him about 30 million. Was justice serviced in this case? Did he hurt enough? I would say no. Did her parents deserve it ? Maybe but they'll never get her back.

In many instances of life, things are not fair nor can they ever be made to be fair, especially depending on each persons point of view. All we can do is try to make things as even as possible and move on. Tiger and Elin settled their dispute rather quickly so I would say neither went away too happy or too unhappy. Looking at it from an overall view, the whole issue is about as fair as it could possibly be.
 AlbertaBeef
Msg: 190
Posted: 9/22/2010 8:13:02 PM
That chick just married him to get the $$$. She knew he'd cheat, so she figured hey, what's a few years of giving him sex? It's a legal form of prostitution. Besides, why should she get anything? He made all the money, she just wrote a check to the Nanny.
 ItsMargo
Msg: 192
view profile
History
Posted: 9/23/2010 8:38:53 AM
The reason I say this is the same average Joe could be a straight arrow and still loose 50% in a divorce.
Matter of fact with the current laws she could not work at all cheat and still walk away with half. Where is the Justice in that?

Every system has flaws and that's the big one with no-fault divorce. You get an easier and less costly divorce as things aren't tied up in court for so long but the downside is punishment is no longer a factor.

Edit to add: Silly evil, divorce is never about 'justice'.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >