Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Vegetarians - how do you feel about your SO cooking meat?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 DartmouthRunner
Msg: 76
Vegetarians - how do you feel about your SO cooking meat?Page 4 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)

I have noticed that most people add a lot of seasonings on their meat, so I'm wondering if that's because they don't really like the taste of the meat either but have just learned to cover it up.

I have noticed many vegetarians add seasonings and sauces to their meals as well. Does that meant they are covering up the taste? No, like anything people like a variety of flavors in their meals. I'll cook my steak with no seasoning/sauce sometimes and other times I'll add some steak spice...just depends on what I'm in the mood for.
 pandusvenator
Msg: 77
Vegetarians - how do you feel about your SO cooking meat?
Posted: 9/7/2010 6:07:09 PM
Actually the right use of plenty of seasonings brings ouot the taste.
 ForumOyster
Msg: 78
view profile
History
Posted: 9/7/2010 8:22:40 PM

So if all you vegans and vegetarians don't like the taste of meat or the thought of meat, why do you want all your tofu, tempeh and other meat-substitutes to look and taste like the real stuff?!

IMO the sensitivity to the taste/smell is sometimes developed as a result of not eating meat for a long time (I say sometimes because I know it's true in my case, but not sure about others.)

It's probably not always the case that vegetarians necessarily dislike meat. For instance, I know that some branches of Buddhism discourage meat-eating. (Don't quote me on this because I'm not the expert and can't provide exact details.) Some people choose to follow it and some people don't. Some non-vegetarians would also choose to refrain from eating meat on certain special days for spiritual reasons. In these cases, the meat-tasting vegetarian dishes come in handy because the vegetarians (or occasional vegetarians) do not dislike meat but rather choose to not eat it for other reasons.

Of course I've only seen these scenarios happen in other country. May not be so relevant in the U.S.
 Helen0426
Msg: 79
Posted: 9/7/2010 9:34:39 PM
It's probably not always the case that vegetarians necessarily dislike meat.

Oh sure. I think a lot of people do it for other reasons, as well as religion (I believe the Mahayana school of Buddhism is generally vegetarian - also most Vaishnava Hindus). Personally, I don't like eating flesh, just never have, and I don't care for most meat substitutes, either, even though they really do not taste like meat.

But I've known people eating vegetarian, or trying to, because of cholesterol concerns, worries about hormone and antibiotic additives, fears about food processing safety, environmentalism, digestive problems, concerns about how the animals are treated, because they just think it's inherently healthier... all kinds of reasons.
 CheshireCatalyst
Msg: 80
view profile
History
Posted: 9/7/2010 10:16:00 PM
I don't actually dislike meat per se, at least not the taste or the smell. It's most objectionable to me in its raw form - I don't want to see it and I especially don't want to touch it. I can't enjoy eating something if I look at it, especially raw, and think "that was an animal's leg.........it used to walk around with that leg" etc.

I especially won't enjoy eating meat since merely looking at it reminds me of all that I find so objectionable about the exploitation of animals for food and the conditions of slaughterhouses. To eat it is to be complicit in something monstrous. Slaughtering animals causes them suffering on an unimaginable scale, and certainly the way we raise and then slaughter them is environmentally catastrophic.

The only value in having a meat substitute that looks like meat and has a similar texture is that it's likely to hold together in a hamburger bun. Other than that example, the LESS a substitute looks like the real thing, the better.......

Cheers
 soflnighteagle
Msg: 81
view profile
History
Posted: 9/8/2010 1:10:10 PM
I don't eat tofu, and yea I have to agree that if you are eating something that looks and tastes like meat, then just eat the meat. Also smoother something in ketchup, or barbecue sauce and tell me it brings out the flavor of the meat. Can anyone tell me what the meat tastes like at McDonald's?
 damassteel
Msg: 82
view profile
History
Posted: 9/8/2010 1:11:50 PM
I'm not in any way doctrinaire about not eating meat. You know, no moral disagreements with those who choose to eat it.
I don't eat it often myself. But, I have gone through an inventory of all of my serious relationships and I've discovered that ALL were vegetarians or close to it. What I can recall is this; I did not at all care for the smell of women (or Men for that matter)who ate a lot of meat. In fact I'm repulsed by it. All along without really thinking about it, I've been selecting for vegetarians, or very low meat consumers.
So for me, the relationship doesn't have much of a chance, none in fact, if she's a frequent meat-eater.
 peppermint petunias
Msg: 83
Posted: 9/9/2010 1:40:40 PM

Shortcut: I wouldn't date a vegetarian.

Not only because of the compatibility issue, but I also just don't want to date someone who seems like something is wrong with their brain

Ok, That is the best fun I have had all day. Thanks

It is not with out merit to an extent.

Your brain has to have calories and fat..to fire properly.
Meat is the easiest source ,esp fatty fish.

I would have to eat 24/7 when I was a vegan/vegetarian ..Really got so thin after a few years.
Didn't have good deep sleep.

Some poster said earlier vegetarians preach. I found the opposite when I was a vegetarian. The meat eaters would ask "What the h3ll is wrong with you?"
Not the other way around.

You only make it a big deal if you want to. I want a man that can make me a big fat azz juicy steak once a week or two because it is soooooo good and I don't want to touch raw meat....YUCK

I see anything with blood or skin raw and it un nerves me..

I still don't eat much meat but..I am always amazed at the vegetarians who are so unhealthy.
Always grumpy and tired.

Flour, processed junk food,sugar,sodas.

I have seen them lined up waiting for a Dunkin Donuts to get hit by a Pepsi truck so they could get a sugar/caffeine fix.

I say live and let live unless a loved one is harming themselves.

To many people have to many things the other person must or must not be/do that really makes NO difference IMO.

I don't actually dislike meat per se, at least not the taste or the smell. It's most objectionable to me in its raw form - I don't want to see it and I especially don't want to touch it. I can't enjoy eating something if I look at it, especially raw, and think "that was an animal's leg.........it used to walk around with that leg" etc.

I'm right there..LOL
 Justdonald
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Posted: 9/9/2010 2:09:37 PM
OP.

You should stick with vegetrians or wimpy guys or men who need to get off meat to lose weight, after which they will move on. Just kidding.

But seriously, Stick to vegetarians and vegans who also have milk allergies. Otherwise, it would be too hard on anyone to have a relationship with you. Make it easy on yourself and others. There or lost of men out there who are vegans and veggies. Or are you like the lesbians who only hit on and try to convert straight women as a challenge?
 moraima
Msg: 85
view profile
History
Posted: 9/9/2010 2:30:19 PM
"I see anything with blood or skin raw and it un nerves me.."

Vegetarians better not be surgeons/surgical staff.

When I first saw an operation, where the surgeon made a large incision, I was fascinated by the yellow layer of fat, never mind the blood and guts.

A vegetarian friend (who has thought the whole thing through, and educated herself on the subject .....nurse too) accompained me to a first world country. She was quite happy to eat the meat gifted to us. She commented after two weeks that she had no physcial problems from the diet change. Then again, she is capable of going with the flow of life.

No one is going to change anyone's mind OP, unless they are so in need of a relationship that they will do anything to have one.

The ones I feel sorry for are the vegetarians that know their dogs need meat, know the benefits of a raw diet for dogs, and perserve to give their dog what the dog needs. God help the dog who's owner tries to force it on to a vegetarian diet. God help the s/o who is forced to give up meal.

Each to their own.
 moraima
Msg: 86
view profile
History
Posted: 9/9/2010 6:24:51 PM
"The whole idea of "going with the flow" is beautiful. Thank you."

Welcome

People like to make life so complicated which is their choice. Real vegetarains are usually reasonable human beings. I don't think for a min. the OP is being resonable about what she expects of an s/o.
 Zikoris
Msg: 87
Posted: 9/9/2010 11:13:17 PM

A vegetarian friend ... was quite happy to eat the meat gifted to us.

A vegetarian who eats meat - you realize the problem there, right?
 HoosierInMo
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Posted: 9/9/2010 11:32:53 PM
I probably came in late on this thread, but I'll put my 2 cents in.

I don't mind dating a vegan. But a SO who demanded that meat not be cooked in their home would be incompatible as any dating relationship I would be in would be with the prospect that eventually her home would be my home. And I would never allow myself to be told what foods I can or cannot eat or cook in my home. But then again I also grew up in a family where the men did most of the cooking, so the argument that a guy is happy to be well fed and not have to cook doesn't apply well to me.
 CheshireCatalyst
Msg: 89
view profile
History
Posted: 9/9/2010 11:47:37 PM
A vegetarian who eats meat is more than likely a "flexitarian." Most true vegetarians don't turn their vegetarianism "on" and "off" when it's convenient. I always prep or order food that my friends would like to eat, not what I would like to serve, so if a close friend knowingly offered me a meat dish knowing I was a vegetarian, they probably wouldn't get an invite from me again! Instant Facebook de-friend-ing too! Not nice......

The ones I feel sorry for are the vegetarians that know their dogs need meat, know the benefits of a raw diet for dogs, and perserve to give their dog what the dog needs. God help the dog who's owner tries to force it on to a vegetarian diet. God help the s/o who is forced to give up meal.

It’s possible certainly, and I’ve heard of some really radical vegans trying it, but I don’t personally know anyone, vegetarian or not, who has tried to convert a dog into a vegetarian. There isn’t any reason for vegetarians to do this either, because the vast majority of food for dogs is derived from 4-D animals – already Dead, Dying, Downed, or Diseased. It’s certainly not the best quality food available, but that’s where it comes from – the byproduct of meat that was originally designated for human consumption.

For a vegetarian, it’s pretty guilt-free. And even if you don’t feed your dog traditional pet food, he or she isn’t able to make a conscious choice as a human is, so it behoves the human to provide him with a meat-based diet - that's his natural food.

My dog and cats get commercial food supplemented with cooked human quality meats. Emphasis on "cooked." I would never feed them raw food at all due to the possibility of them shedding salmonella, E.coli, or campylobacter.

Be well........
 Helen0426
Msg: 90
Posted: 9/10/2010 12:58:32 AM

"I see anything with blood or skin raw and it un nerves me.."
Vegetarians better not be surgeons/surgical staff.

Hee. Well, certainly, anyone who feels that way shouldn't go into the field! For me, a vegetarian, this kinda thing doesn't bother me at all, in fact I find it fascinating to watch surgery. I'm even interested by autopsies. Might seem a bit ghoulish, I suppose, but I just find it amazing how the human body is put together, and how beautiful it really is inside - also how readily even an untrained eye can see when something is really markedly wrong. Yeah, I'm a Discovery Channel addict... have been lucky enough to have viewed some things in person as well. And I loved the Body Worlds exhibits.

I don't have the manual dexterity or the general on-the-spot alertness required for medical work, so it's kind of moot for me, but I don't think vegetarianism is likely to be related in and of itself to one's relative squeamishness about human bodies. Now, cannibalism, that could be a problem!

A vegetarian who eats meat is more than likely a "flexitarian."

Ah. Thank you. I had forgotten that word! Right you are.

I also agree that no one should try to impose vegetarianism on pets whose natural diet is primarily carnivorous. And, good point about it being generally 4-D, anyway, cheshirecatalyst. I haven't thought about this in a long time... I just go with what the vet recommends for my kitty! But, you're right, this is true.

To go back to the original question, for any who haven't read all (there is rather a lot at this point), I'm fine with others cooking meat, within limits having to do with lingering odors and/or not cleaning up. I can always absent myself for a few hours if I find something really unbearable, but it's rare that that's necessary. And, if living together, I do like to buy one cast-iron pan for my use only.
 *Just Jim*
Msg: 91
Posted: 9/10/2010 5:14:42 AM

I say live and let live unless a loved one is harming themselves.

Yes, I caught my son running into a 7/11 getting one of those "Big Gulps" for breakfast!
Now that's harm! lol just kidding..........

I'm a gardener so when I cook it's second nature in good fresh,organic food.

And imo, the veggie label, of years ago is now a passing thing. I eat meat but it is usually the smallest portion of the meal if at all.

Now the folks who only eat raw,well that's another story....unless you like to be on the crapper all day! lol
 PrinceCharmingsCousin
Msg: 92
Posted: 9/10/2010 7:29:06 AM
1. I pity your boyfriend for all your silly restrictions.
2. I also pity him for not being able to eat whatever he pleases because of your over the top "delicateness"
3. You say if the guy hated veggies and couldn't stand the smell of them, but could still prepare a vegetarian meal you'd be okay with that...wtf...what's he going to prepare...and do you prepare meat-eater approved meals for your bf? NO, because you don't like meat.
4. Does your boyfriend go without food the whole time he's at your house, just bread and water like a prisoner? A meal is not a meal for the majority of people in the world unless there's meat included...and forcing YOUR eating habits on him when he comes over is OFFENSIVE, and CONTROLLING.
 CheshireCatalyst
Msg: 93
view profile
History
Posted: 9/10/2010 9:18:36 AM

I don't think vegetarianism is likely to be related in and of itself to one's relative squeamishness about human bodies.

The human body doesn't faze me at all either. Quite possibly working in a pathobiology lab as a microbiologist was what laid the groundwork for my dislike of meat in its raw form, as a food for myself and my animals. And I should add that I am NOT a germophobe either.

Labs that work with infectious agents have "biosafety levels" (think of Defcon 1-5) for handling microbes, prion proteins, and viruses that occur naturally in soil and water (and therefore in animal flesh). Our lab was in semi-lockdown mode to avoid contamination.

Zoonotic infections from eating undercooked or raw animal flesh are public health issues. Furthermore, slaughterhouses sometimes have problems with Shigella or Listeria after processing slaughtered animals.

Cheers
 ForumOyster
Msg: 94
view profile
History
Posted: 9/10/2010 1:09:58 PM

A meal is not a meal for the majority of people in the world unless there's meat included...

Actually, for a lot of people in the world, edible food is barely an option, not to mention meat. Just sayin'.
 Zikoris
Msg: 95
Posted: 9/10/2010 5:26:31 PM

4. Does your boyfriend go without food the whole time he's at your house, just bread and water like a prisoner?

We live together, so there's no "when he's at your house". Since you asked, I tend to make a lot of curries, stews, stir-frys, chili, Indian and Asian-style dishes(which are originally vegan anyways), and tons of baking(pie, chocolate chip banana bread, cookies, and fruit crisp are common - anything really though). I usually keep a good amount of homemade guacamole, hummus, stuff like that around to make quick snacks or sandwiches. We make a lot of fruit smoothies and juice as well. So yeah, not quite prison-like. He doesn't seem to find it offensive - actually, none of my boyfriends so far have. Or family members who visit Vancouver and stay with me. Or anyone else who's stayed with me ever, for any reason...
 PrinceCharmingsCousin
Msg: 96
Posted: 9/10/2010 8:25:57 PM
How is it NOT offensive...you're saying hey come on over...but you're not allowed to enjoy foods that you like.

Yes you make all kinds of things, but seriously if you gave me a plate of just rice and beans or veggies or just guacamole and chips....i'd be GONE, no offense to your boyfriend but he must have low self esteem to put up with all this nonsense. You're basically taking away his rights and freedom, good job.

1. My mother doesn't even tell me what to it, and she put me in this world...you think YOU would tell me? (or should tell anyone else other then YOUR own kids)
2. Your scenario is ridiculous, you say because you make him all kinds of stuff you like and approve of, its ok...well flip that...say he made you all kinds of thoughtful snacks and meals but they ALL had meat, or NO veggies or something you're allergic to...see where i'm going with this....YOU are FORCING him.

I honestly recommend you let this man go be happy with someone who will want him the way he is, and not try to force anything on him like you are. You're best bet would be to get with someone who's like you.
 durandal26
Msg: 97
Posted: 9/10/2010 10:00:20 PM

Yes you make all kinds of things, but seriously if you gave me a plate of just rice and beans or veggies or just guacamole and chips....i'd be GONE, no offense to your boyfriend but he must have low self esteem to put up with all this nonsense. You're basically taking away his rights and freedom, good job.

As I said already, there's a few things you're not taking into account. The first is that I am incapable of cooking anything worth eating, so my freedom to do so is not being limited.

Second, she definitely does have the right to cook and serve me what she wants to cook. Luckily it just so happens that almost all of what she cooks, I greatly enjoy.

In living with Zikoris, I have become 80-90% vegan (80-90% of my meals are vegan) and I am perfectly happy with that.
 valenciacityx
Msg: 98
Posted: 9/10/2010 10:00:36 PM
Bacon.... the candy bar of meat
 Ideoform
Msg: 99
view profile
History
Posted: 9/10/2010 10:01:48 PM
"So if all you vegans and vegetarians don't like the taste of meat or the thought of meat, why do you want all your tofu, tempeh and other meat-substitutes to look and taste like the real stuff?!"

For the other people they might be cooking for.
Often this is fair compromise to the meat eaters.
It is way easier for a meat eater to cook for a vegetarian than the other way around. Most meat eaters eat lots of vegetables, and so, by just not mixing the meat portion of meals into vegetable side-dishes they can usually have some food available for vegetarians to eat without compromising their values or tastes.
But a vegetarian might have trouble as mentioned above, with handling meat and cooking meat, because of its appearance or odor. And they might not know how to prepare meat very well, and so this takes more of an effort for a vegetarian who is hosting meat eaters.

For these reasons, its easier for a vegetarian to prepare food that imitates meat, than for a meat eater to prepare food that imitates vegetables, (because you don't have to imitate.) However, if the issue is the "main dish" or protein part of the meal, this can be tricky for meat eaters, because usually there are more details to serving a balanced meal with a savory, filling main dish for a vegetarian.

There are lots of prepared meat imitations on the market. I remember a lot of them appearing around the time that Dr. Ornish published his study about treating heart disease with diet, and he recommended a very low fat, low salt, almost vegetarian diet to reverse heart disease. And so I pictured a lot of worried middle-aged women guiltily cooking up meat substitutes for their heart-diseased husbands. After all, how did he get heart disease? Probably from the meals they shared, and usually she cooked them.

I remember trying vegetarian bacon, vegetarian burgers, and vegetarian chicken. There is a vegetarian pate that tastes like liver pate. They were ok if you were trying to transition someone who is reluctant to change, into a more vegetable-based diet, but really these substitutes usually were like junk food...not that great for nutritional value, just a lot of flavored carbs with food coloring added, and shaped to look like portions of meat dishes. They were highly processed, and good for a pinch, but not for a long term solution.

Most vegetarian dishes that were designed to be vegetarian from the start taste better and are more satisfying than the meat substitutes. And having a few really good recipes is nice for making things to bring to family gatherings, holiday parties and barbeques.

The idea of a main dish is to have all of your protein in one concentrated dish, and everything else is a "side dish." You don't have to do that in vegetarian cooking. You can make several dishes that have some protein in them, and a few that don't, and serve them together. All the dishes have relatively equal focus. This is a different mind-set, and so a lot of meat eaters will go to a Hindu restaurant and look for the main dish, and think there is nothing to eat.

Sometimes it is simply the "logistics" of the eating event that dictate the dilemma. If it is a grill-out, and you have to bring your own "meat" it is so easy to just bring a bunch of frozen veggie burgers along to put on the grill. But you can also marinate large Portabella mushrooms in a zip-loc bag, and put those on the grill. You can find them the same size as an average hamburger bun, and they are the perfect shape for grilling after you cut off the stem. They don't fall apart as easily as the veggie burgers do.

In general, I have found that there are a few things that make for a more concentrated, protein style vegetarian main dish.

You add nuts with a rich strong flavour, like walnuts,
you add sauteed, grilled, or roasted mushrooms,
you add savory vegetables like small amounts of cabbage,
you can puree steamed or roasted very dark green vegetable like broccoli or spinach, and blend some of it into a dish to give it more depth.
You can use re-fried black Adzuki beans, or other black beans for beef-like appearance, and use chickpeas for a chicken-like appearance. Butter beans blended with oil make a nice cheese-like sauce.
Roasted eggplant has a savory flavour that works well.
Roasting any vegetable before adding it helps make it more savory.
You can use walnut oil, flax oil or some other really good quality oil to give it richness, blended with a bit of ghee/butter if allowed.
Use small amounts of fermented products like miso (fermented soy) and tempeh for a richer flavour.
Adding some seeds like chopped up pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds or paste adds protein and more weightiness. Mix in some sauteed garlic, shallots, cracked pepper and sea salt and you can make almost anything seem as if it has meat in it.
Serve it with horseradish or some other kind of spicy chutney or relish to give it a kick for more interest.

These are vegan ingredients.
If you can use them, adding eggs or cheese can make almost any dish taste decadent, and be very filling and rich.

Another tip for serving picky meat-eaters is to be careful what you call the dish.
When I bring bean dip with corn chips to a party, I sprinkle it with paprika and it looks great and everybody loves it. But 20 years ago I learned not to ever call it "Hummus." It just sounds horrible, and no one would try it.

I brought this great eggplant dip with pita bread another time, and everyone liked it. I didn't tell them it was Baba Ganoush.

Sesame paste is a great ingredient that you can make this really cool salad dressing with. I just don't call it Tahini.

And last, I don't call anything made with soybeans soy beans. I just call them beans. Its not necessary to indicate that they are SOY beans unless someone has an allergy to soy.
Most meat eaters have a certain prejudice against tofu. It is the quintessential "veggie" food.
So if I am using sour cream made from tofu, I just call it sour cream, period. There is also a cream cheese made with tofu, and pudding made with tofu, ect. I just call them cream cheese, pudding, ect. If my recipe happens to taste slightly different, then that is because it is my recipe....
 Zikoris
Msg: 100
Posted: 9/10/2010 10:15:08 PM
PrinceCharmingsCousin,

Try to take into account that Vancouver is overall a pretty health-conscious city with a high vegetarian population(I think we're still the slimmest city in the country as well - wonder why that might be?), and really hardcore meat eaters are pretty rare here. Most people I know who eat meat don't eat it every day(more like 3 or 4 times a week), so to go from eating meat 3 times a week to eating meat once or twice a week in a restaurant really doesn't bother people. The men don't seem to tie their masculinity in with their ability to eat raw meat like in some places - one thing I love about the city :)

Want to know something else strange? It's common enough here for vegetarians and vegans to want a "clean" living environment that people assume I won't want meat around my place long before I ever have to tell them. And they don't care, because they practically don't eat meat to begin with. Works out well.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Vegetarians - how do you feel about your SO cooking meat?