Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 moraima
Msg: 82
view profile
History
Vegetarians - how do you feel about your SO cooking meat?Page 7 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
"both of those articles are referring to raw bones, not cooked bones.
They describe chokings that occurred with raw bones. Here is a quote from the Science-Based Medicine article I included in the previous post. "

The quotes from Science-Base Medicine article on animals who have impacted bowel with kibble are available for you to look at.

"they are all "hormones." My point being - you cannot eat animal flesh without consuming the hormones that are in the animal - naturally - they are produced, for the most part, in the pituitary gland of the animal."

Have you ever seen the ever popular chickens produced for fasts food chains that are stuffed full of growth hormones to the point that their breasts are so large that their legs can't support the weight of their breast and are malformed to the point they can't walk? Natural you say?

Natural that all this garbage gets into veggies. Sadly it is part of some people diet and they don't want to hear about issue their diet has.

As OP is only interested in pushing her comply agenda, and isn't answering questions about issue raised by other posts I have to assume she is indeed only interested part of the vegetarian issue.

I can and you can post research that will disagree with each other points.

I still see you are dodging the issue of antibotics etc. which end up in veggies. Enjoy the dodging.

A balanced look at the OP (what it is actually about), and a balance look at life works for me.
 moraima
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Vegetarians - how do you feel about your SO cooking meat?
Posted: 9/11/2010 4:39:43 PM
"Please feel free to quote those statements in the article back to me. I did not see any mention of that in the article whatsoever. "

What not ever once research the other side of the coin? I am surprised.

Do your own research if you dare to look at research whichs pokes holes in what you are saying. My guess is you would dismiss anything that doesn't agree with your point.

"Your example of KFC broilers is actually an excellent motivation to become vegetarian."

Still won't anwer about the antibiotic gets into veggies I see. Smoke and mirrors to fool?.............themselves?

Never met a vet who hasn't dealt with animals with kibble impacted issues. Try asking them.

This post is about vegetarians cooking meat for their s/o. I have meet and been friends with many vegetarians. Most are easy going people, who don't want to change the world. People who have travelled to other cultures and know how to handle living in the real world.

Not hard to see who can only tolerate only one way of thinking. Must be a lot of hard work convincing themselves that theirs is the only logic. Lonely at the top. Talk about conflict of interst if they ever question themselves or actually accept any view that doesn't match theirs. Research is out of the question, just as OP hasn't listened to one vegetarian who doesn't make s/0 comply.

junipermoon
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Posted: 9/12/2010 6:02:24 AM
a friend of mine used to visit for a weekend. he knew i wouldn't cook any meat for him, but he loved bacon. so i told him he could go ahead and cook his bacon, provided he made enough to share with the cats.

well, after a few visits, the cats made the association. it got to the point where they would attach their noses to him from the minute he walked in the door. they would follow him from room to room until, finally, he would cook the bacon. it made everyone quite happy
 DoubleParked
Msg: 85
Posted: 9/12/2010 10:56:45 AM
Just a comment on choosing to eat vegetarian. My sister gave me this insight: her daughter is a vegetarian and it occurred to her one day that it wasn't so much that meat was revolting to her or any of that, but that she didn't know how to cook! (She's in her early 30s) The 'Raw Food Movement' comes to mind. Need I say more?
 beehearnow
Msg: 86
Posted: 9/12/2010 11:27:45 AM

I think you are making assumptions in that vegetarians/vegans are extremely happy with their lifestyle choice. I think most of them are in denial and really want to be eating meat.

Actually, I think that if a vegetarian wants to eat meat they do. Even the Dalai Lama has been known to eat pork, something he "confesses" he loves. Most of the vegetarians I know are as happy with their food choices as I am with my omnivore diet
 Ideoform
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Posted: 9/12/2010 3:34:37 PM
Zebra: "And if we're going to make theories about why we do things due to some archaic behaviors from our cavemen days that supposedly carry over to today, then denying meat is against our biological urges. We're meat eaters, darn it! We have the teeth to prove it. So put that in your anthropological basket and stuff it, baby!"

Hmmm, (rummaging around in my anthropological basket) It's in here somewhere.

Gotta go soon so this will be short.

I'm sorry to make conjectures about cavemen. They didn't write much, so I don't know much about them.

I don't have an agenda either way. I was vegetarian for many years, and so I feel I can say something on the subject. As for vegetarians being in denial and really secretly wanting meat, I remember that after my body adjusted to not eating meat, I really didn't have any cravings for it. If I wasn't so idealistic and rigid back then, I might have eaten meat about once a week or so and felt fine. But less than that and it takes your body some time to reproduce the enzymes needed to digest meat in sufficient quantities to prevent indigestion.

Vegetarianism wasn't the best diet for me. I currently follow a diet designed to fit people with my blood type. I think it is way healthier for me than vegetarianism was, but you can do this with also eating very little meat, and so I do for ethical reasons, not for health reasons. I choose to eat the smallest amount of meat that makes me feel comfortable and satisifed and healthy. Most people eat way too much meat, and that is just as bad as eating all vegetables and not watching your protein intake and vitamin B12, and iron levels.

I eat meat now, about once or twice a week. Its no big deal. I like teasing meat eaters, though. That must be a deep psychological issue left over from my vegetarian days.
 Ideoform
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Posted: 9/12/2010 6:10:42 PM
Here is a link:

"Vegetarian Myths"
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2000/04/02/vegetarian-myths.aspx

by Stephen Byrnes, ND, PhD, RNCP

I don't know who Mr. Byrnes is, but I respect Dr. Mercola's articles, since he does a lot of researching about various types of diets and lifestyles. I take everything with a grain of salt now, because traditional western Medicine hasn't focused on diet, and lifestyle very much until quite recently, and so the information changes a lot as new research is done, that replaces old notions and ideas.

The last paragraph, about the blood type diets, I know Dr. Mercola actually disagrees with, since his current recommended diet includes fine-tuning your diet based on individual differences like blood type. And my own personal experience has been that the diet recommended for my blood type works better for me than any other kind of eating style I have tried to do in the past.

Having had three disabled children, I have to be concerned that my being a vegetarian prior to my pregnancies (not during, though, I ate meat during my pregnancies) led to certain deficiencies that I was not aware of at the time, and was not corrected enough by adding meat just prior to the pregnancies.

I caution anyone who is pregnant or considering becoming pregnant, to carefully review their diet with a reputable nutritionist familiar with vegetarianism and consider supplementation with Folic acid, Vitamin B12, Vitamin D3, Vitamin A, and Iron, if necessary. It really helps to know how to cook, to cook from scratch, and know what is in your food. Don't expect restaurant foods to be balanced, restaurants sell the kinds of foods people enjoy when they eat out and socialize, it isn't always what you can live on long-term.

I also think that it is just as important to try to eliminate pesticide exposure in your diet, along with chemicals such as artificial, man-made flavorings, food colorings and sweeteners. And avoid the use of strong cleaning chemicals in your home, and in the the products you use in your home, such as paint, treated carpeting and vinyl flooring.

Pesticides and the formaldehydes in carpeting and laminates, can cause cancer. Low levels of the nutrient Folic acid can lead to a birth defect called Spina Bifida.

Exposure to lead dust, mercury, cyanide (a paint preservative) and arsenic (a wood preservative) can lead to Autism.
 CoolBreezez
Msg: 91
view profile
History
Posted: 9/12/2010 8:26:48 PM
Vegetarianism is neither the end all and be all of diets nor a bad choice.

Ideoforms post , message 112, is very sound advice. You have to be sure your vegetarian diet is well rounded enough and during pregancy and childhood some meat is advised for iron protein and B12.

Sitting bull was a hunting plains indian and lived, not uncommonly, to over a hundred before being assisinated.

Sitting Bull died at age 59.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sitting_Bull

Saying otherwise is bull s_itting.
 Secondhand_Lion
Msg: 92
view profile
History
Posted: 9/12/2010 8:59:55 PM
Who could kill a poor helpless plant that can't even run or hide. Poor defenseless thing just stands there while you chop it's life away and boil it alive. It's a living thing...right? Just because it's green means it doesn't have any rights to live? they convert your carbon monoxide to oxygen so you can live.....and what thanks do they get?.....they get killed and eaten by cruel vegetarians. I'm the first to start a movement for the rights of plants and demand that humans show them the same respect given to creatures. There is plenty of tasty rocks and dirt to be eaten, so respect all living things and eat that instead.
 Ideoform
Msg: 93
view profile
History
Posted: 9/12/2010 9:59:17 PM

"Who could kill a poor helpless plant that can't even run or hide. Poor defenseless thing just stands there while you chop it's life away and boil it alive. It's a living thing...right? Just because it's green means it doesn't have any rights to live? they convert your carbon monoxide to oxygen so you can live.....and what thanks do they get?.....they get killed and eaten by cruel vegetarians. I'm the first to start a movement for the rights of plants and demand that humans show them the same respect given to creatures. There is plenty of tasty rocks and dirt to be eaten, so respect all living things and eat that instead."

We do eat rocks and dirt. The plants convert the earth to living, breathing things that we can eat.

We are in a symbiotic relationship with plants we eat.

We eat them and they use our bodies to transport their seed around for them. We help them reproduce. They don't have moving parts, (legs) and we don't have the natural ability to make energy from the sun, water, and dirt. Without us, they can only move as far as the wind blows. They do have birds and migrating animals who do much the same thing, however.

I think we could call it "plant husbandry."

Its the circle of life;
dirt + water + sun = plant + water = herbivores + plants + water = omnivore = Humans > human waste > dirt.

If someone only eats fruit, nuts, beans and seeds = Fruitarian. These people don't eat anything that would kill the plant to eat. They only eat the reproductive (read non-essential) parts, or parts the plants drop to the ground. That's why most plants have more than one set of reproductive parts.

"Dust to dust..." should really be; "Dust to plant to animal to dust."

Surrender to the circle or die.

Plant energy runs our human batteries, runs through our veins and the veins of the animals we eat. How do we know this isn't plant heaven? A second life as a "higher life form?"

Plants breathe out what we breathe in, plants die so we can live, we are part of them and they are part of us. Their roots recycle the waste, and the atoms that once were Gazelles, and Geese and Geezers might be in your salad.
 Secondhand_Lion
Msg: 94
view profile
History
Posted: 9/12/2010 10:22:26 PM
^^^^^OMG!....somebody took me serious. However, I don't do much seed spreading, as I have a toilet connected to a sewer system that takes any seeds I might pass or spread on a wild ride that doesn't make it to a garden.

P.S...and please, don't get me started....you know what a troll I am
 CoolBreezez
Msg: 96
view profile
History
Posted: 9/13/2010 8:57:36 AM
For those who are interested, here's a nice report with a bit of balance on the pros and cons of vegetarian diets.

http://www.vanderbilt.edu/ans/psychology/health_psychology/vegpage.html

The thing I find interesting is that women are so much more predisposed to vegetarianism. From one survey I read, it was something like 68% of people calling themselves vegetarian in America are women. Maybe men are more naturally carnivorous- who knows....

I don't think small bits of meat, greasy or smells will kill hardly anyone. But there is an association with it that makes some nauseous. A fair number of people faint at the sight of blood so its perfectly understandable from that view.

It sounds like the OP and her SO have a good thing. For the rest of us, I would just preach a little tolerance for other's stances on the subject. Really- it's ain't worth fightin' about. IMO
 Secondhand_Lion
Msg: 97
view profile
History
Posted: 9/13/2010 11:42:02 AM
As one who thinks the whole world has lost it's mind, I suggest that you get off your lard azz and do something besides watching diet infomercials on TV and reading about it for hours. After sitting on your butts for hours on end, stressing over which of the 3000 conflicting diets and exercize machines you should consider.....the stress and inactivity are killing you. I wonder how many vegetarians there were fifty years ago? I also wonder where and how Eskimos tend their vegetable gardens. I also wonder why nature gave us canines. I also wonder why common sense pisses everybody off.

P.S. When we get all that sorted out, can someone tell me why most PETA heads prefer leather interior in their vehicles, yet throw blood on people that wear a fur coat.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 98
Posted: 9/13/2010 11:48:19 AM
I'm pretty much of a ovo-lacto carnivore, and leaning more and more that direction as I age. Simple: the fewer carbs I eat, the healthier I am (doctor documented). I've also noticed two things: vegans tend to be the least interesting people I meet, as a group; and also the least healthy. For all the claims they make of feeling *good* because of their diet, in fact, they seem to have endless bouts with head colds, chest colds, flu, sinus stuff, aches and pains, low energy, under the weather. . . . This is true of ov0-lacto vegetarians, too.

My sense? Any diet that can kill you without supplements (vitamin B12) is prolly not what creator intended you to eat. Evolutionarily, carnivores (predators) have their eyes placed side by side in their heads, facing forward; herbivores (prey) have their eyes placed on either side of their heads, looking sideways so they can keep an eye out for predators. . . .

In my view, there's a certain arrogance in expecting someone with different views than your own to hold to your belief system, even if it's "only" where he/she lives. I honestly don't believe we were created to be the boss of others. Any others. And especially not Significant Others. . . .

woobytoodsday
Msg: 99
Posted: 9/13/2010 12:17:31 PM

* Blood group O is believed by D'Adamo to be the hunter, the earliest human blood group. The diet recommends that this blood group eat a higher protein diet. D'Adamo bases this on the belief that O blood type was the first blood type, originating 30,000 years ago.
* Blood group A is called the cultivator by D'Adamo, who believes it to be a more recently evolved blood type, dating back from the dawn of agriculture, 20,000 years ago. The diet recommends that individuals of blood group A eat a diet emphasizing vegetables and free of red meat, a more vegetarian food intake.
* Blood group B is, according to D'Adamo, the nomad, associated with a strong immune system and a flexible digestive system. The blood type diet claims that people of blood type B are the only ones who can thrive on dairy products and estimates blood type B arrived 10,000 years ago.
* Blood group AB, according to D'Adamo, the enigma, the most recently evolved type, arriving less than 1,000 years ago. In terms of dietary needs, his blood type diet treats this group as an intermediate between blood types A and B.

This is actually pretty funny, in a scientific sense. Since Blood Type AB is the consequence of an A parent and a B parent, but A's evolved 20,000 years ago, and B's evolved 10,000 years ago, but the two of em waited 9,000 years to start having babies. . . . .

Secondhand_Lion
Msg: 100
view profile
History
Posted: 9/13/2010 2:04:51 PM
^^^^If you wait long enough....some common sense could show up. I believe it did About all I read on these forums is something according to so and so. It seems people can't think for themselves anymore. There is alway some government grant sucking B.S. artist filling their heads with a thousand conflicting theories on a regular basis....and they buy it! Logic tells me that if you open your mouth and look in the mirror and see canines.....mother nature pretty much planned your proper diet.....and without the help of Dr. So and So.
 moraima
Msg: 104
view profile
History
Posted: 9/13/2010 7:54:30 PM
"Lots more articles about what's in the meat your eating "

I keeping asking what is in the vegetables you are eating, but no one wants to answer that question.

Again, I say that for every study posted, it can be counter posted with a study that proves the opposite.

The medical associations etc. brings out data about every 5 years that contradicts what they said 5 years prior. Most often the new report is filled with info that holistic medicine has been reporting all along.

As long as every body is comfortable with what they are eating, I see no problem. When an s/0 tries to many someone comply and changing their diet drastically............the drama starts.
 moraima
Msg: 106
view profile
History
Posted: 9/13/2010 9:05:56 PM
"Moraima, the manure composting process normally produces high enough temperatures to break down antibiotics before it even comes into contact with the soil. Antibiotics aren't super thermally stable."

If you are sure of your facts, you better contact the University of Guelph, and tell them that their studies about antibotics and pesticides found in all parts of vegetables are incorrrect. I am sure they would be glad to see you add your proof.

"And the medical associations have been recommending people increase their fruit and vegetable consumption and reduce meat for a lot longer than 5 years :)"

Twisting my words to fit your comply rules again I see.

"People should have to figure things out for themselves."

I complete agee. Hopefully they have the tools to do so, including an open mind.

"Who do you buy your seed from?"

I am fortunate enough to have enough Native doctor friends would have converted their farms into growing fields of natural native plants that grown natural seed producting plants that are being preserved for future generations. I am truly blessed.

However, I eat an almost carb free diet, simply because carbs make my body feel awful and sluggish. Fortunately for me, I don't like breeds, pasta etc. Maybe I don't like it because my body doesn't like it, and maybe I just like like that type of thing in my mouth. Now if my dear friend eat it and enjoy it, I am happy for them.

I eat very little fruit in Canada (raspberry off my property yum) except when in the tropics (go regularly) where I stuff myself on pineapple etc. picked a few hours before I eat it. I come back to North America and try to eat the stale tropical fruit that has taken weeks to get here............ew. Canned fruit taste like aluminum.

Now for me there is nothing better than meat and tons of veggies. More fowl in the summer month, more beef in the winter.

The taste of meat in the tropics killed same day, free range, no antibotics, only favoured with garlic...................sweetest meat to my mouth.

I grow my own herbs...................love Rosemary with meat and veggies.

Each to our own.
 moraima
Msg: 108
view profile
History
Posted: 9/13/2010 10:26:09 PM
5% eatten on a daily basis....................ew!

Pesticides/antibotics are in our water, our air contains huge amount. You just can't get away from it in North America.

Where do you think all the compost collected in recycling goes.................I don't want to think what is in that.

" it's pretty standard practice for organic farmers(which is what I eat"

Have you checked out organic regulations, and how effective they are? Do you personal know your sources?

"- looking forward to growing my own in the gardens at my new place though!)."

Then at least you have some control. However air and water supply is an issue.

Let's face it, we can live hundreds of miles from civilization, but water supplies and winds bring polution.

Livestock and industrial polution is something we can't get away from no matter where we live in NA.
 Ideoform
Msg: 113
view profile
History
Posted: 9/17/2010 9:15:49 AM
For those who are vegetarian, avoid canned fruits and vegetables, and consider having a single glass of un-sulfured wine with a meal to help prevent the formation and build-up of formaldehyde in your system, unless you have a history of alcohol addiction.

New Concern in Your Food: Wood Alcohol (Methanol)

"What is dietary methanol?
Fresh fruits and vegetables contain small amounts of naturally-occurring methanol, and the artificial sweetener aspartame converts into methanol in your body.

Normally this is not a problem as the methanol is typically bound to pectin, and since your body has no enzyme to metabolize that bond it is simply excreted in your stool and none of the methanol is absorbed into your body.

However, the problem occurs when you can or bottle fruit- or vegetable juice, as the methanol tends to then dissociate from the pectin into free methanol, which you do absorb.

The methanol you absorb readily passes the blood brain barrier where it can be converted to form formaldehyde, which is a potent toxin that actually causes most of the damage.

Ethanol (alcohol) is used as the preferred antidote for accidental methanol poisoning in an emergency.

One possible explanation for why mortality rates are higher for non-drinkers than for moderate drinkers may be that low levels of ethanol (alcohol) in your bloodstream helps prevent the formation of formaldehyde from dietary methanol."

~ from:
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/09/14/why-do-heavy-drinkers-outlive-nondrinkers.aspx
 Ideoform
Msg: 117
view profile
History
Posted: 9/17/2010 8:11:12 PM

"So what are recovering alcoholics supposed to drink as a nightcap in order to live a long and happy life?"

I'm looking into that. I have read that Kefir is a good substitute and reduces cravings for alcohol and sugar. It needs to have active cultures and be organic. In Russia, its called "The Feel-good drink" and I've heard they do drink a lot. Its been suggested for use in treating depression due to malabsorption of nutrients necessary for brain function.

"Kefir is the cousin of yogurt, and its roots can trace back more than 2000 years. Originating in the Caucasus Mountains of Europe where people live well past 100 years, the word kefir is thought to have been derived from the Turkish word "Keif" for "good feeling," probably due to the sense of well-being after drinking it."

~ Lifeway Kefir

(no I don't work for them. And no, I'm not a recovering anything. Except, um, well... recovering divorced person.)

Vegans can drink coconut kefir made from young organic coconuts. It can also be made with goat's milk, or soy milk. I'm learning how to make it myself with a "starter" from Body Ecology.
 Ideoform
Msg: 121
view profile
History
Posted: 9/19/2010 9:31:35 PM
Three years ago my son was getting severe migraine headaches for several months, ending up with him in the hospital seeing a neurosurgeon and getting an MRI, plus surgery measuring the pressure in his brain. Long story...the end result was that we found out his high school had switched to only providing diet sodas that year. When he stopped drinking diet soda, his migraines stopped and have never returned. He now has to avoid other things like gum with aspartame in it.

My ex-husband's sister was trying to loose weight 10 years ago and started drinking diet sodas. She got pretty much addicted to them and was drinking about 6 - 8 per day. Within a couple of years she was diagnosed with MS. Her family thought the diet sodas could be to blame because she drank them excessively, and talked her into quitting them even though she didn't want to. After much prodding from her sisters and brothers, she finally gave them up and her MS is now in remission.

It is worth noting that during the time she drank the diet sodas, she gained a lot of weight instead of loosing it, even though she was exercising, too. She has now lost weight since quitting the diet soda and is a normal weight.

My son's basketball coach had terrible migraines for many years, and five years ago, ended up in the hospital when he was on a camping trip when he didn't have access to the diet sodas that he had been drinking every day at the time. He then made the connection for the first time to his headaches, quit drinking diet sodas altogether, and hasn't had any migraines for years.

In hindsight, I wish we could have known about it sooner, and avoided the stuff altogether -- and avoided all the expensive medical treatments when all it was, was a man-made chemical in stuff we could stop buying. After all, nobody really NEEDS diet soda. It doesn't provide any kind of nutrition.

That's why I tell people about it. I hope it saves someone from headaches and expensive medical tests and treatments that don't really help if you are reacting to it.

If anyone gets bad headaches and drinks more than one diet soda per day, I suggest giving up the diet sodas for a while before trying all the other more expensive things you can do.
 Cat*Eyes
Msg: 123
view profile
History
Posted: 9/20/2010 12:31:57 AM
I have always been a Vegetarian. I have rejected meat since it was first put on my plate.
My opinion on this question is: The person cooking meat in my house must have a separate cooking pan to cook meat. My ex never cooked meat in my house, but he was allowed to, on a separete pan, I did not use. He got his meat food from fast food places and usually ate it before he got home. He had cook outs on my property in the cook out area outside. They cooked their meat on the outside grill, which did not bother me.
 Greatcatch12345
Msg: 126
Posted: 9/20/2011 6:24:28 AM
I wont date a vegan...period..end of story..at some point in the relationship it will most likely become an issue. they are a pain in the a** to take out to dinner...no dairy, butter, etc..cant even use the same frying pan as fish,chicken..etc..
How many restaurants serve tofu?/:-(
I tried it once (dated a vegan) because she was soo freckin' hot....but after a couple of months..it was way too much of a hassle. Cooking is my life...so we would not be compatible in a big way.
I have seen a rare few examples work out, but its the case where food is nowhere near the top of their hobbies, fun, sharing, enjoyment of life, etc..
I live to eat..not eat to live. Even if a woman simply just orders a 'salad' everytime we go out..its a deal-breaker! LOL...
 CapoeiristaVegan
Msg: 128
Posted: 5/12/2012 4:28:33 PM
I wish there was an vegan vegetarian option to check on your profile so its easier to find other vegetarians on POF
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >