Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Can a true drug addict learn to choose you over drugs?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Secondhand_Lion
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Can a true drug addict learn to choose you over drugs?Page 5 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
Only if you are a dealer.
 xlr8ingmargo
Msg: 73
Can a true drug addict learn to choose you over drugs?
Posted: 3/25/2011 2:35:26 AM
It is a very unfair question because its like you (OP) are asking an addict of anykind to turn you into the addiction istead which is just as unhealthy.

I am an alcoholic. I have faced my demons (I had been sober for six years till the death of my late fiance) and even the two drinks I have when I fall off the wagon (not often) affects my family. My youngest daughter for one wants to put duct tape over my mouth. Cant say I blame her; I already speak my mind. I get mean and nasty with a buzz. We all make choices for a better life. Trading one addiction for another isnt one of them.
 Casper66
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Posted: 3/25/2011 3:35:35 AM
Lost my best friend to drug addiction, there was nothing I could do or his family to stop him, he lied, cheated and stole to fund his habit, it was devastating to watch and be helpless to help or stop him. Would never get involved with an addict again, found out the hard way there is no changing them.
 IHateBarstars
Msg: 75
Posted: 3/25/2011 12:10:57 PM
Haha, and giraffes fly.

In short, no.

However, in some cases, it can be an incentive. I dated a guy last year and he had some issues and he quit everything when we got together. Then, I moved away for 6 months, went home to visit and he was back to using again, and then quit again when I came home for christmas when I got mad and helped 'em detox over Christmas. We still keep in contact/friends and he isn't using anything now still.

However, I've also befriended a few drug addicts and they've stolen money from me and in 99% of cases, they don't care about you regardless of how many times they say they do. Addicts are attracted to "helpers" because for the most part they provide unconditional companionship and other addicts because they have the same habits.
 platypus_man
Msg: 76
view profile
History
Posted: 3/31/2011 12:23:55 AM
Not everyone is successful at beating an addiction the first time around. My dad tried to stop drinking many times, before, at age 36, he finally did it, and stayed 'dry' for the next 35 years until his death (as far as we know). It sometimes really depends on why they drink; if you can remove the cause that makes them want to escape reality, then it's easier to give up the intoxicant. Of course the reverse is true also; people who are prone to addiction to intoxicating substances can be drawn into it when enough stressors alter their life, and they are unable to deal with them successfully.
 Out_of_the_Ash
Msg: 77
view profile
History
Posted: 3/31/2011 3:17:41 AM
Personally, I wouldn't waste my time. I steer clear of alcoholics and druggies as partners, although I am 420 friendly so long as it doesn't interfere with their life.

That is one bull you just can't take by the horns. Even if they are so lost they want you to help them. Run. Run away and save yourself the trouble.
 forumermaid
Msg: 78
Posted: 3/31/2011 8:07:30 AM
In a way... they can choose to change because they value you and they want to keep you in their life. At least that can be part of their rationale for getting help. Really, though, they have to want to change for themselves. Sometimes they do get off the drugs, but they will always be one step away from falling back into it. I know someone who once was an alcoholic and he then became addicted to AA. I feel compassion for them, I really do, but I don't want it in my life.
 valleyguyaz
Msg: 79
Posted: 4/2/2011 6:36:44 AM
drug addiction changes your life in so many ways.
DRUG ADDICTION

the worst thing it does is to change how you see life after quitting.some former addicts see life as boring and mundane without the thrill of chasing a high.others view their life as being wasted ad view themselves as a bad person who could not make the right choice by saying no to drugs.even the treatment of addicts in my opinion is counter productive."once an addict always a addict" is the wrong thing to say to someone who needs to be built back up on all levels(mentally,physically and
spiritually).everyone has the potential to chosse the right or wrong path in life.how can anyone say addiction is the root problem.i truly believe that we all are a creature of the enviroment with which we are brought up in.

in closing
i believe that some can choose love over their addiction and some cannot.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Can a true drug addict learn to choose you over drugs?